PDA

View Full Version : Uses for amulet of the planes

Zonz1208
2015-09-05, 11:38 PM
I'm a fairly new player, and during an encounter I came upon an amulet of the planes. I know it lets me plane shift, but I'm not sure what I could actually use it for. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-06, 12:19 AM
If you are in a campaign in which the characters are likely to be travelling to other planes, it is both a means of getting to those planes and equally importantly a way of getting back. Planar travel can often be very frustrating because in most campaign settings there is rarely a port of call with departures regularly leaving for wherever you want to go. An item like this is like owning your own Millennium Falcon with which to jet across the cosmos. Also, make sure the character with the highest Intelligence score in the party is the one actually activating the item - or else the chance of ending up in the wrong place can be pretty annoying.

If you are in a campaign where planar travel is not anticipated, then it is just a very nice piece of merchandise waiting to be sold for about 120,000 GP give or take.

Inevitability
2015-09-06, 01:08 AM
It has its uses for instant escape. Aim for somewhere safe, like the plane of air, Mount Celestia, or the astral plane, and you will most likely have the time to heal up there.

Then again, a Word of Recall/Teleport is still better at getting you to a safe place, so perhaps trade this for one of those.

nedz
2015-09-06, 01:54 PM
The problem with Plane Shift is that you only have a 5-500 mile accuracy, so you really need a Teleport available every time you use it.

Crake
2015-09-06, 11:37 PM
The problem with Plane Shift is that you only have a 5-500 mile accuracy, so you really need a Teleport available every time you use it.

The wording of the amulet seems to indicate that it will actually take you to the specific location on the plane if you succeed on the DC15 intelligence check.

Slithery D
2015-09-07, 09:28 AM
The wording of the amulet seems to indicate that it will actually take you to the specific location on the plane if you succeed on the DC15 intelligence check.

That's correct, making this better than the spell.

nedz
2015-09-07, 10:43 AM

Well maybe but it can be read otherwise.

The item just says you can use Plane Shift, which has an intended location in the spell description.
The item doesn't say that it's any more accurate only that there is a DC 15 Int check.

It does seem to have unlimited uses however.

Bronk
2015-09-07, 02:00 PM

I agree... That makes two uses of this equal to one greater teleport, as well, as you can jump to another plane and jump right back to your original plane. You only really need to make the second intelligence check to get where you want, too.

Sagetim
2015-09-07, 10:15 PM

Because of that wording, a player in a campaign I was in used it like an amulet of teleporting, just making dc 15 int checks regularly to get from point a to point b to point c.