PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Custom Golem Template [PEACH]

Amechra
2015-09-06, 01:08 AM
This template is roughly based on the Golems in the SRD, and even there it's kinda loose. Still, if you want to create a Golem for any material...

Golem

Golem is an Inherited template that can be applied to any material with some form of Hardness, created by binding an Elemental to a prepared frame. For the purposes of this template, a Material's "Core Value" is equal to their Hardness, rounded up to the nearest even number.

Size and Type: A Golem is a Construct. They are Medium if their Hardness is 1 or less, Large if their Hardness is greater than 1 but less than 18, Huge if their Hardness is greater than 17 but less than 50 HD, and one with 50+ Hardness is Gargantuan.

Hit Dice: A Golem possesses a number of d10 Hit-Dice equal to the material's Hardness + 6.

Speed: A Golem possesses a 20ft move speed.

Armor Class: A Golem possesses a Natural Armor bonus equal to 2 + twice their material's Core Value.

Attacks: A Golem gains two Slams as Primary Natural Weapons; these Slam attacks deal 2d8 damage for a Large Golem.

Special Attacks: None (but see "Creating a Golem").

Special Qualities: A Golem gains Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 60ft, Damage Reduction, Immunity to Magic, and Material Properties. If the Golem's material is not metal or stone, it also gains the Berserk Special Quality. Finally, if the Golem's material grants a special benefit to creatures who wear it as armor, the Golem receives the benefits as if they wearing Heavy Armor made of the material.

Berserk (Ex): The Golem possesses an Ego Score equal to its HD + one-fifth of their Damage Reduction. The Golem must make an Ego Contest with itself once per round while in a chaotic situation, such as combat or a b ustling market square. If it succeeds on the Ego Contest, it will continue to follow its orders; if it fails, it will then proceed to violently attack the nearest living creature, or inanimate objects smaller than itself if there aren't any creatures around. The Golem's creator may, if they are within 60ft, take a minute speaking authoritatively to the Golem; if they do, they may make an Ego Contest with the Golem, allowing them to resume control if they succeed.

Damage Reduction (Ex): A Golem receives DR x/Adamantine, where x is equal to their material's Core Value + 1, rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A Golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. However, any spells or effects that specifically target the material they are created from bypass this defense. See below for the precise effects of this weakness.

Material Properties (Ex): Golems are entirely constructed out of a particular material. As such, their natural weapons are considered to be made of that material for all intents and purposes, and the Golem receives any benefits that a creature wearing armor made of that material would.

In addition, their material defines how certain types of damage interact with the Golem; if the weapon, tool or energy type would bypass the material's hardness normally (such as using axes or fire against a Golem made of wood), it causes the Golem to become Slowed for three rounds. This flaw does not extend to special materials such as Adamantine which bypass hardness, or effects which allow a creature to bypass hardness.

If an energy type, tool, or weapon is incorporated into the creation of the Golem or is necessary to reshape the material into a final good (such as fire used on a Golem made of iron, electricity on a Golem made of flesh, or acid with a Golem made of gold), using it against the Golem deals no damage; instead, the Golem recovers 1hp for every 3 damage that would be dealt, and any Slow effect they are currently suffering from immediately ends.

Saves: As a Construct, a Golem does not possess any Good Saves.

Abilities: A Golem has Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1. In addition, their Strength score is 13 + twice their Core Value.

Skills: As they are Mindless, Golems do not receive any skills.

Feats: As they are Mindless, Golems do not receive any feats.

Environment: Any

Organization: Solitary or Gang (2-4)

Challenge Rating: 4 + one-third of their Hardness (rounded down); add one to their effective Hardness for every 10 HD they have past the first, and lower their effective Hardness by one if they possess the Berserk special quality.

Treasure: None

Alignment: Always TN

Advancement: By HD, to a maximum of 5 + thrice their Hardness; a Golem's with 8 or more HD is Large, one with 24 or more HD is Huge, and one with 56 or more HD is Gargantuan.

Level Adjustment: —

Creating a Golem: A Golem may be constructed by any spellcaster that possesses the Craft Construct feat. A Golem is a humanoid sculpture that is 4ft tall, plus 1ft for every two HD they have, ignoring any HD gained through magical increases in Hardness; a Golem is constructed out of one cubic foot of material for every foot of height it has. In addition, a Golem requires special unguents and ritual objects that cost 250gp and 10xp for each HD that the Golem possesses. A DC 15 Craft check appropriate to the material must be made to shape the body - Golems made of suitably exotic materials might require a different check from a different skill instead.

For a Golem to be anything more useful than an impressive piece of statuary, the following spells must be cast into the empty vessal: Geas/Quest, Lesser Planar Binding, and Permanency. Divine spellcasters may substitute Lesser Planar Ally for Lesser Planar Binding and Commune for Permanency. The process of creating a Golem involves calling and binding an elemental spirit to the prepared shell.

It is traditional that certain additional spells are incorporated into vessals made of particular materials; for example, Slow is traditionally incorporated into Stone Golems and Cloudkill is traditionally incorporated into Stone Golems. These spells must have a casting time no longer than one Standard action, and cannot have a spell-level higher than one half of their HD, rounded down.

The Golem gains the ability to use any spell incorporated into them in this manner as a Supernatural ability once every 1d4 rounds, using their Hardness as the caster level for the effect. The save DCs for these effects are based off of the Golem's (non-existent) Constitution modifier. Unfortunately for many Golem builders, Golems lack any sort of intelligence; as such, the Golem will use these Supernatural abilities in the most straight-forward manner possible, and will be entirely incapable of using most non-combat spells to their full effectiveness.

Each additional spell incorporated into the Golem increases its effective Hardness for the purposes of calculating their CR by one-third of the spell's level, rounded up. The Golem's creator may incorporate one spell level into the Golem, plus two spell levels for every 5 points of DR/Adamantine they have, prior to paying any additional costs - each additional spell level increases the Golem's cost by 500gp. For the purposes of these rules, 0th level spells count as one-half of a spell level.

Finally, a spellcaster with the appropriate feats may enchant a Golem's natural attacks as if they were magic weapons and their natural armor as if it were magic armor. This increases the Golem's market cost accordingly.

Magic Immunity and Specific Effects: Any spell that specifically targets the material a Golem is created from has one of several effects:

Effects that turn other materials into their material restore all of the Golem's lost hit-points.
Effects that turn their material into a softer, non-organic material cause the Golem to take 3d10 damage and slows it for 2d6 rounds.
Effects that turn their material into a harder material improves the Golem's DR and NA for 2d6 rounds, as appropriate for the "new" material's Hardness.
Effects that turn their material into flesh removes their DR and Immunity to Magic for one round.
Effects that state that they deal a given amount of damage or which have some specific effect on creatures made of the material bypass the Golem's Immunity to Magic entirely.

Amechra
2015-09-06, 01:10 AM
If people want, I can do a quick example - and I'll do it with any material you want, as long as you can give me a reference.

noob
2015-09-06, 04:50 AM
Makes me remember a third party manual with more complex rules allowing to do this and also to create mostly any construct you wanted and gave costs for them but there was some bugs for example if you obtained a material with incredibly high hardness and made the smallest possible golem with that material it was cheap and have as many HD as hardness.
I did not really understood the price of your golems could you please do a sum up or explain it is GM choice?
Also bone reinforced N times with the instant hardness increase spell seems a good idea(or of hardened black sand so that there is a spell to repair them)

Amechra
2015-09-06, 12:43 PM
(I just noticed that the NA bonus in the template should be two points higher. I'll fix that.)

Also, after doing this I think I might need to tweak some stuff in the Creating a Golem section - notably, adding spells should add to the Golem's cost. Also, I might need to increase the base cost by a little bit.

Lets do the Bone Golem first. I'll use boring ol' unenhanced bone first, because why not?

Now, we need to determine both the cost and the Hardness of the material. It can be a rough estimate, because seriously.

Hardness: Well, flip open the DMG to page 144, and you find out that Bone has a Hardness of 6.

Cost per Cubic Foot: Well, this one is a bit more of a poser - luckily, there are resources (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/density-solids-d_1265.html) for finding the density of stuff. Checking the Pathfinder SRD, we find that Bone costs half as much as Iron, which is 1sp - therefore, Bone costs 5cp per pound, and one cubic foot of bone costs 275 cp, or 2.75 gp. This is only important to calculate if you want to let your players buy/sell/create golems; otherwise, you can handwave this away.

Now for the Golem itself:

HD: Hardness 6 gives us 12 HD, which leaves the Golem sitting pretty as a Large Construct.
Armor Class: The Bone Golem has a +14 NA bonus.
Special Attacks: Let's give it Death Knell. Because why not?
Special Qualities: A Bone Golem is going to have the following:

Berserk: Since it isn't made of metal or stone, a Bone Golem has Berserk, with an Ego Score of 14.
Damage Reduction: The Golem has DR 10/Adamantine.
Material Properties: Bone is a terrible material. As such, the Golem takes a -2 penalty to attack and damage rolls.
Ability Scores: A Bone Golem has Str 27.
CR: 6

The Golem is being made by a Cleric, so they need to have Commune, Death Knell, Geas/Quest, and Lesser Planar Ally available to them (so the Cleric must be at least 13th level). If the Cleric decides to give the Golem's Slam attack a +2 Enhancement bonus, they can do so for small sum (4000gp), and it will offset the penalty from the bone material.

Then the total cost to create a Golem will be as follows:
Body: We need to sculpt an 10-ft tall humanoid figure that weighs about 660 lbs, so that gives us 27gp 5sp. Bone is cheap.
Ritual Materials: You're looking at 3000 gp and 120xp for this part of the process.
Enchanted Slam: Improving the Slam attack costs 2000gp and 80xp.

In total, that comes out to 5027 gp, 5 sp and 200 xp - alternatively, purchasing one is 10027 gp 5sp. Yes, that's a lot cheaper than the Golems in the SRD - but they have always felt really overpriced to me.

Ooh, Blacksand! I love Blacksand. Sadly, there aren't any stats for sand's Hardness or cost. So I'm going to GUESSTIMATE!

Hardness: I'm going to use the Hardness of fused sand, which you can find in Sandstorm - that comes out to Hardness 3.
Cost: This is going to come out to expensive. A Wizard could create enough fused Black Sand with Black Sand (cast by a friendly Cleric), Fuse Sand, Permanency. The cost for the body comes out to 150gp and 1500xp.

So, the Golem is going to look like:
HD: We've got a 9 HD Golem here; they just manage to be Large.
NA: The Black Sand Golem has a NA bonus of +8.
Special Attacks:: Let's give it Parching Touch.

Berserk: Since it isn't made of metal or stone, a Black Sand Golem has Berserk, with an Ego Score of 10.
Damage Reduction: The Golem has DR 5/Adamantine.
Material Properties: Blacksand has no rules for being made into armor or weapons, so we're going to estimate here. I'd say that they produce a 20ft radius of Darkness (which can only be suppressed by a [Light] spell of 8th level or higher) and deal +1d4 Negative energy with their Slam attack. Any creature that touches them or strikes them in melee with a natural attack or unarmed strike takes 1d4 Negative energy damage.
Ability Scores: A Black Sand Golem has Str 19.
CR: 5

Body: We need to construct a 8-ft tall humanoid figure that weighs about 750lbs - as given earlier, we are looking at 150gp and 1500xp.
Ritual Stuff: 2000gp and 80xp - cheap!

The total cost comes to 2150gp and 1580xp - however, it makes a nasty guardian for a tomb, and a nice boss monster to throw at a low-level party.

As a rule of thumb, enhancing the Hardness of the material by x increases the Golem's HD by X, and their NA and Strength by X (rounded down to the nearest even number). So one casting of a CL 12 Hardening on the Blacksand Golem's body would give it +6 HD, +6 Str, and +6 NA. It would also require that the Golem is 3ft taller... I might need to put in an exception for magically increased Hardness.

Amechra
2015-09-06, 12:52 PM
I added notes stating that HD gained through magically enhanced Hardness don't make the Golem bigger, and that spells cost money to add to Golems.

As such, the Bone Golem would increase their market cost by 14400gp (that's 7200gp and 288xp for those of you crafting along), and Blacksand Golems would increase their market cost by 5400 gp (or 2700 gp and 108 xp).

khadgar567
2015-09-06, 12:57 PM
can you made admantine one with flight as an super natural ability

Amechra
2015-09-06, 03:00 PM
I'll do the math - you'll need to wrangle it into a proper statblock yourself:

Hardness: Adamantine is Hardness 20.
Cost: Adamantine has the same density as Steel (I'm estimating), so we're looking at about 485 lbs per square foot. A cubic foot of Adamantine costs 60gp (see the Stronghold Builder's Guide). So we're looking at expensive here.

HD: 26 HD. We have our first Huge Golem!
NA: The Golem has a +42 bonus to NA. Nasty.
Special Attacks: We're going to give it Overland Flight and Shatter as a Supernatural abilities. Because.
Special Qualities:

Damage Reduction: The Golem has DR 25/Adamantine.
Material Properties: The Golem's natural attacks are treated like Adamantine, and bypass any Hardness less than 20. The DR they would get overlaps with their Golem DR, so they don't get anything there.
Ability Scores: Str 53. Yep.
CR: 13. Yeah, that seems low, but the Golem isn't actually that tough if you're prepared.

Costs:
Body: We're looking at a 17ft tall, 8245 lb beast, which costs a total of 494700 gp.
Ritual Stuff: 6500 gp and 260xp, paid up-front.
Supernatural Abilities: CL 8 Overland Flight and CL 8 Shatter come out to 57600 gp and 4608xp.

The most... impressive Golem I can create, off the top of my head, is an Orichalcum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?106024-From-This-The-Swords-of-Gods-Are-Forged!-Materials&p=5840133#post5840133) Golem. Behold stupidly high stats!

Hardness: Orichalcum has Hardness 50. Suck on that, Adamantine.
Cost and Weight: Orichalcum weighs 25 times as much as Iron. That comes out to 12200 lbs per square foot. My estimate for the cost is 3000gp per pound. This thing is going to bankrupt whole planes.

HD: 56 HD. This is going to be... interesting.
NA: +102 NA. Sweet Baby Moses.
Special Attacks: It gets Blinding Beauty, Consecrate, Earthbind, and Scintillating Scales as Supernatural abilities, each at CL 17.
Special Qualities:

Damage Reduction: DR 55/Adamantine.
Material Properties: The Orichalcum Golem's natural attacks bypass any Hardness less than 50, as well as any form of DR that can be bypassed by a specific material. Also, adding an Enhancement bonus to their natural weapon or natural armor gives them a sizeable, additional boost.
Ability Scores: Str 113.
CR: 24.

The Orichalcum Golem is a Gargantuan golem, probably built by the Gods. Why? Because no one else can afford this thing.

I mean, the cost of building just the body is 1171200000 gp. Then you have enchanting the thing, sticking the Supernatural abilities on it, and enchanting its natural weapons and armor as Epic weapons and armor (you didn't think I was going there?)

In exchange, you have a towering collosus, standing 32ft tall and weighing just over 195 tons. Just looking at it can blind you permanently (Blinding Beauty), it produces a flow of positive energy (Consecrate - Just carve an altar of a sufficiently judgemental god in the thing's chest. Great fun!), it can knock creatures from the sky with a glance (Earthbind; DC 38 or lose any flight), and it is untouchable by lesser creatures (Scintillating Scales turns that +102 NA into a Deflection bonus).

Still an entirely fair challenge for a low epic party - I'd even say that you can use this thing as a puzzle boss for some 20th level characters.

noob
2015-09-09, 03:05 AM
I found back the name of the third party manual it was was called spells and spellcraft
It contained a too much stuff to nerf or remove but it was a funny manual.
Well the constructs creation rules were broken by the fact it was stupid with them to do creatures which are not Tiny because the price in function of the size increased exponentially and that by making of your construct a golem you could make it have tons of HP.
Yours construct creation rules works because it is mostly a guidelines + GM adjustment and reasonable thinking system(but it looks extremely exponential with the increase of the construct).
One thing is: are golem made of adamentine stickman golems?(the height increase at the same rate as the volume so they must look very thin)

ArkenBrony
2015-09-09, 11:21 AM
this is awesome! how would it work for something without a hardness? things like paper, cloth, and rope?

Amechra
2015-09-09, 01:48 PM
Paper actually does have a Hardness; sure, it's Hardness 0, but that's more than enough to calculate stats for. The "it has to have Hardness" thing was to prevent stuff like Riverine Golems (since Riverine technically has infinite Hardness...)

Also, noob, they might be kinda beanpole; however, a cubic foot per foot of height is the (approximate) volume of a humanoid body, so...

And funny that you brought up Spells and Spellcraft; I actually made this because I was looking at the Immortals Handbook, and any process that requires that you calculate the density of the substance the Golem is made of in comparison to water is... too much work. Golems are dumb beatstick monsters, they shouldn't require a spreadsheet to make.

I should probably write up a better version of the Golem Manuals as well.

ArkenBrony
2015-09-09, 02:47 PM
Paper actually does have a Hardness; sure, it's Hardness 0, but that's more than enough to calculate stats for. The "it has to have Hardness" thing was to prevent stuff like Riverine Golems (since Riverine technically has infinite Hardness...)

i'll give it a shot, than

the one question i have is, would the core value be 0 or 2? rounding up to the closest even number would, as written, be 2 (0 isn't an even number, it's weird) but i'm inclined to believe the intent is it to be 0, so the golem is built with that belief in mind

paper golem

Size and Type: medium construct (7 ft tall, 420 ibs)

Hit Dice: 6d10+20

Speed: 20ft move speed.

Armor Class: 11 (+2 natural armor, -1 dexterity) 9 touch, 11 flat-footed

Attacks: 2 slams +5 melee (1d10+1)

Special Attacks: erase as supernatural ability, cause y'know.

Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 60ft, Damage Reduction 5/adamantine, Immunity to Magic

Berserk (Ex): ego score 11

Damage Reduction (Ex): A Golem receives DR 5/Adamantine

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A Golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. However, any spells or effects that specifically target the material they are created from bypass this defense. See below for the precise effects of this weakness.

Material Properties (Ex): you can use a paper golem to jot down notes i guess.

Saves: +2 will, +1 ref, +2 fort

Abilities: Str 13, Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1.

Skills: As they are Mindless, Paper Golems do not receive any skills.

Feats: As they are Mindless, Paper Golems do not receive any feats.

Environment: Any

Organization: Solitary or Gang (2-4)

Challenge Rating: 4

Treasure: None

Alignment: Always TN

Advancement: 6-7 HD medium, 8-10 Large

Level Adjustment: —

Cost: looked it up, 100 sheets in a pound, 1 sheet is 4 sp, 400 sp per pound, 420 is, 168000 sp, so 16,800 gp in material cost. apparently paper is really expensive. huh
1500gp and 60xp for ritual objects
1800gp and 144xp for spell
so 20,100 gp and 204 xp. or 40200 to buy. there's a reason nobody makes paper golems

Razanir
2015-09-09, 04:55 PM
The most... impressive Golem I can create, off the top of my head, is an Orichalcum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?106024-From-This-The-Swords-of-Gods-Are-Forged!-Materials&p=5840133#post5840133) Golem. Behold stupidly high stats!

Hardness: Orichalcum has Hardness 50. Suck on that, Adamantine.
Cost and Weight: Orichalcum weighs 25 times as much as Iron. That comes out to 12200 lbs per square foot. My estimate for the cost is 3000gp per pound. This thing is going to bankrupt whole planes.

HD: 56 HD. This is going to be... interesting.
NA: +102 NA. Sweet Baby Moses.
Special Attacks: It gets Blinding Beauty, Consecrate, Earthbind, and Scintillating Scales as Supernatural abilities, each at CL 17.
Special Qualities:

Damage Reduction: DR 55/Adamantine.
Material Properties: The Orichalcum Golem's natural attacks bypass any Hardness less than 50, as well as any form of DR that can be bypassed by a specific material. Also, adding an Enhancement bonus to their natural weapon or natural armor gives them a sizeable, additional boost.
Ability Scores: Str 113.
CR: 24.

The Orichalcum Golem is a Gargantuan golem, probably built by the Gods. Why? Because no one else can afford this thing.

I mean, the cost of building just the body is 1171200000 gp. Then you have enchanting the thing, sticking the Supernatural abilities on it, and enchanting its natural weapons and armor as Epic weapons and armor (you didn't think I was going there?)

In exchange, you have a towering collosus, standing 32ft tall and weighing just over 195 tons. Just looking at it can blind you permanently (Blinding Beauty), it produces a flow of positive energy (Consecrate - Just carve an altar of a sufficiently judgemental god in the thing's chest. Great fun!), it can knock creatures from the sky with a glance (Earthbind; DC 38 or lose any flight), and it is untouchable by lesser creatures (Scintillating Scales turns that +102 NA into a Deflection bonus).

Still an entirely fair challenge for a low epic party - I'd even say that you can use this thing as a puzzle boss for some 20th level characters.

I- I- I. Average 302 hp, 107 AC and +93 to attack, for anyone who's wondering. (EDITED because I forgot size to attack)

noob
2015-09-11, 02:46 AM
Then someone fly and cast rust over and over on the Orichalcum Golem making ridiculous wealth loss to the gods.
Metals have some problems with spells against them.

Amechra
2015-09-11, 04:58 AM
Then someone fly and cast rust over and over on the Orichalcum Golem making ridiculous wealth loss to the gods.
Metals have some problems with spells against them.

Wouldn't work. The different "rust" spells (Rusting Ray, Rusting Grasp, etc) only affect ferrous metals. Orichalcum is not ferrous. Plus, they require a touch attack... good luck on that one.

Plus, flight is... ineffective against the Golem, unless you are flying over 280ft away from it; any closer, and it will smack you with a DC 38 Earthbind that suppresses all flight for 3 hours. Granted, it's pretty slow... but you're still going to have to get close enough to it to really do anything.

And if you're close enough, you're going to have to start making saves against Blinding Beauty, which is a DC 38 Fort save or become permanently blind for any humanoid within 60ft. And Blindness sucks.

I would look more towards teleportation if you want to stay out of reach. Or briskly walk away (which is the general solution for Golems).

Oh, and the gods losing money? Hardly.

Create Greater Object would let them make the body out of, oh, I don't know... soap? Let's go with soap.

And then they just spam Alter Reality to duplicate Polymorph Any Object a buncha times, converting the soap into iron and then Orichalcum (so the change is permanent).

noob
2015-09-11, 09:31 AM
Then I might try to let fall hundreds of rocks from more than 300 meters high and with enough rocks he will fail reflex saves and after some hundreds of times where 500 grams rocks deals 20d6 from height he is probably very dead.
still the cost of the body is not the only thing like you said there is the ritual and other kind of stuff which you did not said equivalent to the creation of a magic item and so it is hazardous to do with wishes(but the gods are probably not players and so do not have to care about wish 100% backfire effect).
At this level of power this golem should get some long ranged weaponry and flight and a bunch of other spells.

Amechra
2015-09-11, 01:55 PM
I would like you to take a look at his DR for a second.

DR applies to falling damage as well.

I mean, if you want ranged weapons, just add them as Supernatural abilities. One and done. If you want flight, throw one of the many spells that supply flight onto them. If you want scads of spells add them as Supernatural abilities. I decided to pick thematic spells for the Orichalcum Golem, rather than win buttons (how about at-will Enlarged Mordenkainen's Disjunctions?)

Heck, they can have 17th level spells on there. I decided to be nice.

That being said, I think I was a bit too harsh with how Supernatural abilities add to the CR. I might swap it to +1 effective Hardness for spells of 0th through 3rd level, +2 effective Hardness for spells of 4th level through 6th level, and +3 effective Hardness for spells of 7th level through 9th level.

I might have to tweak the CL and how many they get as well - as well as tweaking how much it costs to add spells to your Golems. I might just end up writing a formula that determines how much effective Hardness they can get out of added Supernatural abilities...

Food for thought.

noob
2015-09-11, 05:39 PM
Yes and the average damage of one rock hitting is 70 which is superior to its 55 dr so it does not solves the problem and so with 20 500 grams rocks you deal on average 15 damage(because of critical reflex fails) so with 420 500 grams rocks you deal on average 315 damage and so just by letting fall a net with those 420 500 grams rocks at one you kill him half of the time so you need to let fall 210 kilograms of rock in a net from 600 meters high to kill it.
so he truly needs some spells.
Then you never wrote that the golem immunity could be disabled simply because normal golems can not do that and so there is no reason for self targeted spells to work on them except if you write they can do that but in this case people will give them rings of spell storage to make them cast spell on themselves or other stuff of this kind so maybe some line on the built in spells the golem can cast on itself would be useful(because else crazy blind dumb rule lawyer who does not understand language and thinks everything is mathematics formula(all the flaws I have) will say that the golem should be able to cast the spell onto himself but resist automatically to it). (sorry this whole part was only because I forgot the magic immunity and resistance did not worked against supernatural abilities(and this is why dweomer keeper pwns so badly))

Amechra
2015-09-11, 09:09 PM
Then add spells to the Golem. Add, I dunno, Surelife to prevent death from falling rocks, if that's what you're so fixated on. The template was built to be customizable, so tossing at-will Wish or whatever on the Golem is rules-legal.

Their self targeted "spells" are Supernatural abilities, which don't care about Spell Resistance. So their infinite spell resistance does nothing to stop the benefits of their self-targeted effects. It's also mindless. It can't use magic items that require any sort of mental capacity, because they lack such a thing entirely.

You could do the rock strategy, I guess... or you could just cast Antimagic Field over it, which suppresses the Magic Immunity and prevents all of their Supernatural abilities, and send a Martial Adept focusing on touch attacks with a big ol' adamantine hammer. The Golem will go down like a chump.

Because, really, the goal of this template ain't invincible monsters. Those are actually pretty easy to make. The fact that stuff breaks down a bit when you get to high levels is... unsurprising, and is less of a concern than if the template messed up on the lower end.

Amechra
2015-09-11, 09:24 PM
I tweaked the rules for adding Supernatural abilities to the Golem. Plus, I fixed a typo that I've been too lazy to fix.

ArkenBrony
2015-09-12, 12:11 AM
I am really happy with this, I hope to use it for a one shot i'm building for school friends. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes

noob
2015-09-12, 07:12 AM
"This spell allows the caster to protect him or herself against some condition that would ordinarily cause certain death. The character can only protect him or herself against a natural occurrence or condition, not against a spell or the action of a creature. The character must specify the condition against which he or she wishes to protect him or herself, and the spell is effective only against that condition. Should the character be subjected to that condition during the duration of the spell, he or she feels no discomfort and takes no damage from the condition. However, the spell does not protect any items carried on the caster’s person. At the end of the spell’s duration, the condition has full normal effects if the character is still subjected to it. "
Clearly it is the action of a creature to make 420 rocks fall on you so it does not works

"You could do the rock strategy, I guess... or you could just cast Antimagic Field over it, which suppresses the Magic Immunity and prevents all of their Supernatural abilities, and send a Martial Adept focusing on touch attacks with a big ol' adamantine hammer. The Golem will go down like a chump."
requires 1: to have one martial adept with the right build then 2: to have some way to cast antimagic which is level 6 while my tactic needs only some level three spell and some strong people(four persons with 20 strength or less people with more strength) which is way easier by 10 orders of magnitude(even if it might take time).

Also you might do something about spells with cost because golems are not smart but they obey orders and so someone might build a wish on a golem with the following trigger:"cast wish to create a pile of gold when you hear the word "rfeqeqyyt"" or other kind of abuses for having infinite gold with one adamentine golem.
Or simply say that the spells the crafter can add are limited by the GM or do a roof with fourth level spells like in the system in spells and spellcraft(fourth level spells are generally way less abusable)
Because if someone do an item able to cast wish at will it is clear the campaign is already broken(but in a way that can please some people and some GM might like a campaign where players are omnipotent once in a while).

ArkenBrony
2015-09-12, 12:51 PM
"This spell allows the caster to protect him or herself against some condition that would ordinarily cause certain death. The character can only protect him or herself against a natural occurrence or condition, not against a spell or the action of a creature. The character must specify the condition against which he or she wishes to protect him or herself, and the spell is effective only against that condition. Should the character be subjected to that condition during the duration of the spell, he or she feels no discomfort and takes no damage from the condition. However, the spell does not protect any items carried on the caster’s person. At the end of the spell’s duration, the condition has full normal effects if the character is still subjected to it. "
Clearly it is the action of a creature to make 420 rocks fall on you so it does not works

"You could do the rock strategy, I guess... or you could just cast Antimagic Field over it, which suppresses the Magic Immunity and prevents all of their Supernatural abilities, and send a Martial Adept focusing on touch attacks with a big ol' adamantine hammer. The Golem will go down like a chump."
requires 1: to have one martial adept with the right build then 2: to have some way to cast antimagic which is level 6 while my tactic needs only some level three spell and some strong people(four persons with 20 strength or less people with more strength) which is way easier by 10 orders of magnitude(even if it might take time).

I hate to speak for the creator, cause I'm not in the same position as them, but Amechra specifically said it wasn't their goal to create an unkillable creature, and gave a potential solution to your problem at a whim, not actually caring about it. i built a paper golem, why don't you build the orichalcum golem that you would run with. the system to build it is here, not a list of golems to critique.

Amechra
2015-09-12, 01:11 PM
I am really happy with this, I hope to use it for a one shot i'm building for school friends. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes

I'm glad to hear it! Let me know how it goes, alright?

ArkenBrony
2016-02-16, 11:47 AM
necromancy is 6 months, right? if so, I'm good, just got in in time.

I used this system for a oneshot, like i said, and I made paper golems. but, specifically, I made scroll golems. they were filled to the brim with spells they could use at will. they were the guards of a magic school, and they worked brilliantly.

the one shot i ran was for a party of only spell casters, so the spell immunity made them already tough combatants, but the spell customization made them interesting enemies that lead to a long combat that didn't drag on. I don't think there's anything that needs changing, it worked great.