PDA

View Full Version : Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Prustan
2007-05-11, 04:07 PM
A beautiful sunny Saturday morning in New Plymouth. People going on with their business, working, shopping, walking, talking. One group of young people however, are spending their Saturday morning doing something a little different to their friends - running around town putting up fliers.
"The Salvation Army, New Plymouth Chapter, would like to invite all budding musicians to audition for a new band, 12:30pm at our youth center. A light lunch will be provided, and a small selection of instruments. Any donations would be appreciated."
Soon, all the wandering teenagers are talking about the audition, wondering if they'll have to sing 'Christian' songs, or if they can pick their own.
The clocks in the shop windows start chiming 10am.

Adlan
2007-05-11, 04:35 PM
((I'm assuming the Childrens center job is a nogo))

Harry

It's dark in the garage, and cool in the shade. Harry likes it. The Quiet noise of traffic outside is muted by the walls. It is dirty, which harry dosn't mind. And for the Money he's getting for this job, he's not going to clean it up. Room and board and so sub minimum wage even other illegal immigrants won't take it. At least they get overtime shifts.

Harry still likes it. Pulling pints every evening isn't that bad, and when he's not working behind the bar, he gets to listen to the bands, or work on his bike. Not that any of the band will let some big dumb barely 19 yearold play drums. Even the ones that are bareley 18 don't let him even touch a drum. And his bike has been broken since the cargo container it was in got filled with saltwater.

It's dark and cool in the Garage, and the quiet noise of the traffic is suddenly increased when a hand tuned custom built Royal enfield classic roars into life.

Harry revs up the street, a Big young man, with a dumb smile on his face. His hair is trapped under a beaten up old crash helmet, but his eyes flash in the noon sun.

'The Noon Sun' flashes a though through harrys mind. 'Oh blast. I'll be late for the audition' He revved the engine up again, and tore down a side road, heading for the Salvation Army church Hall, where the auditions were taking place.

Harry Arrived on the scene, at about 20 past the hour, and managed to park his bike and join the que in a hurry, bumping into a few of the others by accident. even with his helmet off, in a Leather jacket and at least an inch ahead of every other entrant, he felt like he stuck out a bit. He absently drew from his inner pocket 2 hand carved drumsticks, his last momento from africa, and he twirled them, one in each hand as he checked out the other entrants.

Yawielas
2007-05-11, 04:45 PM
Jenna

Jenna yawns a little, standing in line for a cup of coffee at her local coffee shop, when a kid from school puts up a flyer on the window. She nods a little to the guy, finally getting her coffee, and absentmindedly pays the clerk while trying to read the note through the window. dnab wen a rof noitidua...Audition? Cool! The girl takes a sip of her coffee and burns her lip a little, cursing under her breath as she heads outside to check it out. The Salvation Army...Well, at least her grandparents would have approved...maybe... A quick glance at her watch shows she's got a couple of hours to prepare, so she slings her training bag over her shoulder and heads back home to change. No training today, who'd want to show up on audition all sweaty and redfaced...

An hour and a half later she stands in front of the youth center, fresh from the shower and with new make up, her dark eyes heavily outlined in black. Dressed in dark blue torn jeans, boots and a white corset laced up with leather, she now carries a woven shoulderbag containing sheet music, pens and paper, and a cd with backing music, just in case. The last hour she'd been doing vocal exercises, warming up her voice, and now she stood chewing a fingernail outside the Salvation Army. What if this was a church band? Oh well, let's just make the audition first, worry about repertoire later...If it was for church, she probably wouldn't make it with the Avril Lavigne song she'd picked out anyway. Feeling a little more at ease, she enters through the doors and steps up to a man dressed in the traditional Salvation Army uniform. "Jenna Winter. I'm here for the audition?"

GryffonDurime
2007-05-11, 08:30 PM
Bastian

Why did I ever agree to help with this? Bastian wonders as he strums absent-mindedly on his guitar just outside the Youth Center. Surronded already by some jostling hopefuls with their doe-eyes and innocent expectations, Bastian feels quite old at the ancient age of twenty-one. This was clearly not what he had had in mind when an old friend--an aquiantence, really, had asked him to help the auditioning process for a band by playing backup for candidates.

"Ah, well," Bastian says as he pulls himself up to his full height, straightens the folds of his frayed khakis with his free hand while the other clutches the neck of a fine old blue guitar; the kind of guitar that spends a lifetime in the pawn shop until someone of less than wholly desirable means comes along to save it from the scrapheap. He walks into the center, adjusts his spectale-sized sunglasses, and looks around.

"I am such a geezer."

Adlan
2007-05-12, 01:58 AM
Harry
'You feel old too mate?' Harry asked, leaning in the que, his helmet under his arms. His drumsticks in the pocket of his batterd baggy jeans.
'Harry, well actually Bertram, but keep that under your hat. Harry Shuck, I'm new in town.'

Prustan
2007-05-12, 06:39 AM
(To Jenna) "Take these forms, fill them out and we'll sort you out when we can."
The harried volunteers, inside the center and out, are frantically trying to organise the chaos, asking people to sign the forms with the usual information - name, address, phone number, prefered instrument etc. Those that finish filling out their forms are grouped - singers, drummers, guitarists, keyboarders etc.
Finally, everyone is grouped, and the local Captain stands to speak. "Thank you all for coming today. I know you've had a long wait, so I won't take too much time. First, I want to assure you that, while we do have some standards that we expect you to keep, this will not be a church band. We want to give some of you a worthwhile opportunity. Second, in the interests of time, and because there are more here than we expected, the audition will go a bit differently to what we planned. It's going to be a group audition."
He pauses for a bit, to let that sink in. "Singers, I want you all to find a drummer, a guitarist, and one other instrument of your choice. Decide amongst yourselves what song you'll perform, and in ten minutes the first group will wow us."

Adlan
2007-05-12, 07:19 AM
Harry
Their Conversation was ended by the distribution of papers, and Harry scabbed a pen off another entrant.
Then when they were sorted into groups, and finally told how the auditions were run, he caught Bastians eye.
'You come with a group? Or do you need a drummer?'

Yawielas
2007-05-12, 11:18 AM
Jenna

Stunned that they won't even have time to rehearse as a group, Jenna stands on her tip toes, glancing over to the guitarists and drummers and what nots. Frowning, she tries to decide which instrument would fit her song best, then realises she might not even get to perform her own choice, now that it's a group audition. As she watches the other vocalists scramble around looking for musicians, she realises she has to act fast before they're all taken.

"Hey!" A young brunette with dark eyes, slim, fit and attractive, jumps up on the desk and surveys the room. "I'm a singer in need of a drummer and a guitarist, possibly a bass or a keyboard as well. Any takers?"

Adlan
2007-05-12, 11:48 AM
Harry
'Well, I'm in. Harry says sorta fast like.
'I'm a drummer, err... Harry. I'm called Harry.

GryffonDurime
2007-05-12, 01:25 PM
Bastian

Bastian follows Harry--Bertram, he'd have to file that one away for later use--and strummed a few chords out on his guitar.

"I guess my buddy's not gonna show, then," he says, "so if you both need a guitarist, I guess I'm it." Bastian looks around, surprised at how quickly every other guitarist in the place has been gobbled up.

Adlan
2007-05-12, 03:04 PM
Harry

'So, Any more for any more?' He glanced around everyone was in a group or other, there was hardly anyone still around.

'So... again. What kinda Musicism do we like?

'Well, I like all sorts. I play anything with a beat, Brit Pop, Indie, even, heh. African Tribalism, Though in general they prefer hardcore rock and Roll. ACDC goes down well'

Prustan
2007-05-12, 09:58 PM
A nervous looking guy, so far overlooked by the groups milling around, shuffles up to Harry, and says "Er..Hi. I'm Doug, and I play bass. I heard you needed a bassist, so, here I am."

As the people organise themselves into small groups, volunteers start numbering them off, and give the number '20' to Jenna. As soon as the ten minutes are up, the Captain stands again. "I hope that you are all as ready as you can be. Unfortunately, we can only support one group, so if you don't make it in, then whoever still wishes to participate will be backups and support personnel. Now, as promised in the flier, there is a light lunch waiting for us, so let's get started. First group, come on up."
"Hi everyone," says their singer "I'm Jim, and we're going to do 'Crawling' by Linkin Park." And they begin. Quite badly.

Yawielas
2007-05-13, 02:25 AM
Jenna

Jenna looks at her group, jumping back down from the desk. She takes the number 20, and smiles at the guys. "Hi, I'm Jenna. I had an Avril Lavigne song prepared, but I guess I can do either pop, rock, punk or goth. Do you all know "Complicated"?

Adlan
2007-05-13, 03:55 AM
'Errr... Sure, I think I remember it. It goes sorta like. his hands, twirling drumsticks flash in a complex pattern. and mentally he beats out the pattern, his foot tapping in time as well through his heavy, if very worn leather boots.

GryffonDurime
2007-05-13, 01:37 PM
Bastian

"Not sure that I know it," he says, settling his guitar across his chest carefully, "but I can certainly fake my way well enough."

Yawielas
2007-05-13, 02:34 PM
Jenna

"Which songs do you know, then? It will go better if we all know the same song. I'll list some of mine, let me know if you know them..."Paint it Black, Sk8ter Boy, My Immortal, Kiss from a Rose, Have a Nice Day, Your Song, Hotel California..."

Adlan
2007-05-13, 03:57 PM
'Well Any drummer worth his salt can play Paint it Black.' He finsihes twirling the sticks in a skillful floruish, and flips them through an arc in his grasp, slamming them into his back pockets.
Then seeing the raised eyebrows of the others.

'It's a martial Art I do, I do like to show it off.'

'Bastian, do you know the cords. If you do then there's only one problem' He cranes his head around theatrically.
'I think all the Sitar players are taken.'

GryffonDurime
2007-05-13, 04:49 PM
Bastian

"Of course I know the chords. I'm not a musical hermit, hm? And we can play it well enough sans the sitar, then."

Bastian returns to strumming a bit on his guitar, keeping a fine little blue pick held between his fist and the neck of the instrument.

Adlan
2007-05-13, 04:51 PM
Harry
'So, I take it we don't get a chance to rehurse. Know what number they are upto yet?' Harry smiled eagerly, pleased they were settled.

Yawielas
2007-05-13, 05:35 PM
Jenna

"Paint it black" it is, then. I think we have a little time before number 20's up. Wanna steal away somewhere and go through it once or twice?"

Prustan
2007-05-13, 08:34 PM
As the first group finally finishes, Doug says "I know that song too. Can I join you guys?"
The second group, after listening to the critique of the first group, gets on stage. "Hi! I'm Linda, and we'll sing 'Get this party started' by Pink." Not exactly good, but not bad either.

Adlan
2007-05-14, 01:53 AM
Harry

'errr, yeah sure, but where' He smiles.
'And I don't think there's anywhere we can steal a drumkit from. It's kinda hard to fit one in my jacket pockets'

Yawielas
2007-05-14, 04:55 AM
Jenna

She looks at Harry. "Do you know how to beat box? We could try outside, in the alley, and you could drum on the walls, or dust bins or something. And sure, we could use a bass." The last remark went to Doug. "The second group is on now, so we have at least ten minutes."

Prustan
2007-05-14, 06:01 AM
Despite several of the other late groups having the same idea as you, you still manage to find a bass for Doug and improvise some drums for Harry.

Your rehearsal goes well, and you can tell that you've got a pretty good chance of winning. Doug plays well enough, and, from what you can hear, there's only been one group to give you any serious competition - they performed 'Alright' by Tadpole.
And now, it's your turn.

Harry and Bastion - roll Art + Dex. Jenna - roll Art + Con. Time to see how you actually do.

Adlan
2007-05-14, 07:21 AM
Harry
The Englishman sits nervously at the drum kit, and gives a good count in. slapping his drumsticks in time together with his words.

'One, Two, a One, Two, Three, Four.

And then comes slamming in for the drums when the guitar intro reaches the right point. He's rocksteady on the beat and the high hats crash just a the right instance.

((So Thats D10 + Dex and D10 + Art. Makes 2d10+6 Roll (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1043283) of 13 and 10, making a nift 23. If I calculated right. Edit: Apparently i calculated wrong, so just count that as a drama point spent.))

Yawielas
2007-05-14, 09:51 AM
(Isn't it 1d10+the sum of your art+dex? At least that's how we've always played it)

Jenna

(con 3+art 5= 8 + 1d10 + using a dramapoint for 10 = 26 which equals success level 7
http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1016 )

Jenna gets on stage, grabs the mike and gives it her all.

(link to picture I'll be using: http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/4372/14ax.jpg )

GryffonDurime
2007-05-14, 12:21 PM
Bastian

On stage, Bastian actually looks somewhat nervous--he hadn't expected to invest so much of himself in this. He swings the pick out from his palm and between his thumb and forefinger.

Come on, now, Bastian. You've done this -how- many times before?

((I was confused about the roll too, but I think it is the one roll...if I was wrong lemme know. Roll, after much confusion (http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py?u=Bastian&r=1&d=1d10%2B7&n=Fixed+roll%2C+I+think...&a=Roll+the+dice)))

Prustan
2007-05-14, 05:07 PM
(With all appropriate modifiers, the group total is 10 Success levels!)

After all this time spent listening to groups ranging from abysmal to ok, your performance has the no longer bored audience begging for more. You totally blew away any possible competition, and even the kids that hate the song are dumbfounded at it's awesomeness.
The Captain gets up to speak. "Well, I think we can safely say, WE HAVE A WINNER!" He has to wait for the loud cheering and whistling to subside "Forms are available for those who wish to help out as backups and support. Now, before we go eat the lunch provided for us, I would like to invite Albert to say grace."
While waiting for Albert to get to the stage, he turns to the group and says "Can I talk to you after lunch? There are some things we need to work out."

Yawielas
2007-05-14, 05:12 PM
Jenna

Jenna smiles, still psyched after the performance. "Sure! Right, guys?" She looks at the others.

GryffonDurime
2007-05-14, 06:55 PM
Bastian

Bastian still reels, truly suprised by their astounding success. He squirms a bit at the mention of grace, then nods in agreement with Jenna.

"What kind of things, then?"

Adlan
2007-05-15, 12:59 AM
'Urrr, yeah. No problem' harry smiles at the announcer, sweating slightly after his excertion.

He whispers to other band memebers. 'Lunch? sweet, I dun't know we got lunch.'

Prustan
2007-05-15, 05:13 AM
(Well, by this time, it's more like afternoon tea)

Albert gave a mercifully short grace on the food, then, unsurprisingly, there was a mad dash for the best of it. Cakes, slices, chips (crisps to any Americans here), biscuits, fruit, sandwiches. All rapidly disappearing.

After lunch is over (And you got your fair share of it), the Captain finds you again. "There's still several things we need to work out. Rehearsals, a name for the band, when your first performance will be, what you want to play, things like that. And if you don't want to be playing covers of other bands your entire career, then I think I know someone who can help. Let me know when you plan on rehearsing next, and I'll tell him to come over and introduce himself."

Adlan
2007-05-15, 05:25 AM
Harry
Harry had piled his plate high. Several times infact and wolfed it all down.
'Can't keep a dog from his dinner' he smiled. And then took several sandwhichs with him, when they cleard away the rest of the food.

He was just stuffing one into his gob when Albert came along, he listend and then finished his mouthful.
'Sure thing. I dunno when everones got free time, I know a place, we might be able to rehurse, in the mornings anyway. But I have one question. Do I have to have my own drumkit? I in't got one.

Yawielas
2007-05-15, 07:56 AM
Jenna

Jenna shrugs. "I can rehearse after school, but I've got aikido on saturday mornings and wednesday nights. About what we want to play, I guess we'll have to discuss that...I like rock, punk, melodic and such. And doing our own songs would be cool, I don't want to be some cheesey cover band doing 80ies hits on school dances. Anybody got a good suggestion for a name? And how about a rehearsal tomorrow?" She looks from the guys to the Captain.

Adlan
2007-05-15, 02:40 PM
Harry
'You do Aikido? Cool, we need to get together and.... Harrys voice trailed off as he realised he was drifting off topic.

'Sorry' he explains to the Captain 'This is just a random collection of individuals, we don't know each other at all. We should get together for a rehersal tommorow, definately. The Grumpy Mole, on the Corner of Devon & Liardet Street. I can get us the stage and Dance area, If we show up at 9 we'll have 4 hours before I have to open up. I might even bag us some crisps and we can actually learn about each other.'

Yeah, I looked up the Grumpy Mole. But I don't think the western theme really works for it hiring Harry. Can we change it, wither the pub or the theme, and maybe have it be a dingy sorta place in a bad neighbour hood. like the bronze was. I like the fact that it serves coffe and snacks, as it makes it more than a drinking den. And best of all. It actually has a stage and dance floor.

I'm sad arn't I? looking all this up for a RP

Yawielas
2007-05-15, 02:58 PM
Jenna

"Cool! We have a place to rehearse." Jenna grins.

GryffonDurime
2007-05-15, 04:36 PM
Bastian

"I'm free just about any time, so whenever you two are good is fine by me," Bastian says, sipping on the bottle of water he snagged from the table. "How long've you been working on your Aikido, then?" He adds, to Jenna.

Yawielas
2007-05-15, 04:44 PM
Jenna

"A few years now, since I was around 12. I'm 3rd Kyu. I've done some self defence classes as well, if I'm gonna practise something, might as well be something useful."

Prustan
2007-05-15, 05:29 PM
"Great! I'll send my friend over to meet you guys at the Grumpy Mole 9 tomorrow morning. He probably won't stay too long, since our service starts at 10. He'll also bring our drum set, bass, speakers, amps and microphone. Humble equipment, but it all works fine, and we can't afford anything better. Think about everything else I mentioned, and give me your ideas sometime Monday, ok?"

(It's now 4pm, what are you going to do for the rest of the day?)

Adlan
2007-05-16, 08:18 AM
Harry
Great. If we let some of the other artists use them on open mike night, we can store 'em at the Mole as well.

Harry finishes his stash of sandwichs, with one massive bite, and chomps the last of his meal down.

'Well, we could all go to the Pub... I mean we could all go back to the Grumpy Mole for a few hours, I've got work this evening, but I'm free untill then. I could give somone a space on the bike if they want a lift there?

Yawielas
2007-05-16, 01:20 PM
Jenna

"Sure, I'll go." Jenna grins at the prospect of riding on the back of a motorcycle.

GryffonDurime
2007-05-16, 01:25 PM
Bastian

Bastian heads back to his flat on foot after saying his goodbyes to the pair of them, and spends the evening curled up by the TV with a nice, warm glass of milk and a spellbook containing the darkest secrets of the world, never meant for the pathetic minds of mortals.

Adlan
2007-05-16, 01:35 PM
Harry

Harry and Jenna flew down the road. well not exactly flew, bnoth wheels on the ground and all, but it was pretty dam fast. Harrys shaggy head of hair was bare as he sped along, Jenna sitting and holding tight on the back of his bike had the helmet squarely strapped on her head.

Harry was really enjoying the ride, but he hoped he didn't get pulled over by the cops, a british learners liscence wasn't really going to help. Not when it was for a moped and this was a 500cc hog of a machine.

But they didn't get pulled over, and Harry pulled in at the Grumpy Mole, dismounting with the crush of gravel beneath his biking boots. He had been giving a running commentry about the bike and where they were going as he drove, and he continued 'And here we are. Home sweet home, for the time being at least.'

The Grumpy Mole was a slightly squallid place. It had seen better days, but it was popular with up and comming bands, underage drinkers, and coffe nuts since it had a brilliant expresso machine installed. However, things never really picked up untill 7 or 8, and so when Harry opend to door for, and walked in behind jenna, it wasn't crowded. As in they, and the manager behind the bar were the only ones there.

'Don't forget your on shift tonight Harry' The barman growled.

Harry smiled and waved a little, and then took a corner alcove out of the way.
He turned and spoke to jenna
'So, can I get you a drink?'

Yawielas
2007-05-16, 01:39 PM
Jenna

Jenna sits down in the alcove, and places her bag on the seat next to her. "Sure, a coke would be good. Thanks." She looks towards the stage area and dance floor, and imagines playing there.

Adlan
2007-05-16, 02:21 PM
Harry
The Englishman brought over two drinks, a juice for Himself and a coke for the lady.

'So who first, you or me. With the whole life History thing I mean. I know your name, and well music taste and thats about it.'

Prustan
2007-05-16, 04:26 PM
While Jenna and Harry are talking, roll Notice + Perception (no drama points!).

Yawielas
2007-05-16, 04:38 PM
Jenna

(Percpetion+notice = 12 (success level 2) http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1046 )

"Oh, there's not all that much to tell, really. I'm born and bred in New Plymouth, and I'm in school. I like music and martial arts. My dad's a famous rock star..." Jenna laughs a little.

Adlan
2007-05-17, 07:13 AM
Harry
'Ah school. I got out as soon as I could me, Typical drummer you know, big and dumb, but I've made my way. I've ended up in all sorts of jobs, the factory where they built my bike, was a big man in this tiny town in africa. But Haven't yet found a place I'm like to stay to long, keep hoping the next place will be it, but you never know.

He jerks his head at the barman over his shoulder

'I get room and board, and a little stipend, keeps me going at the moment.

but anyway, you said about martial arts? Aikido and anything else? one of my last jobs, I spent nearly a year working for a master of Eskrima, which is a phillipino martial art.'

Yawielas
2007-05-17, 07:34 AM
Jenna

"Cool, I've never tried that myself. The self defence classes are mostly a sort of kung fu, tae kwon do mix, with a little judo and karate thrown in for good measure. Perhaps you could visit my dojo, it's right next to the mall downtown." Jenna sips her coke.

Adlan
2007-05-17, 07:53 AM
Harry
'Yeah that sounds like fun. When's it open? I get pretty much every morning off, so I'll drop by.'

'What did you say bout your dad? A rock Star? which one' Harry smiles broadly.
'This band thing is going to be fun, I haven't had anyone to jam with for a good while. we still need a name though'

Adlan
2007-05-17, 07:55 AM
Harry
'Yeah that sounds like fun. When's it open? I get pretty much every morning off, so I'll drop by.'

'What did you say bout your dad? A rock Star? which one' Harry smiles broadly.
'This band thing is going to be fun, I haven't had anyone to jam with for a good while. we still need a name though'

Rolls (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1050580) for perception and notice of 13

Prustan
2007-05-18, 06:26 PM
You both get the feeling that someone's watching you, but when you look around, you don't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Yawielas
2007-05-19, 03:31 AM
Jenna

She glances around, frowning a little. "Is your boss watching us, or something? Thinking I'm your girlfriend, I'll bet..." Looking back to Harry, she shrugs. "The dojo's open every day between two and eight, except saturdays when it's open from ten to six, and sunday's when it's closed. About my dad, it was sort of meant as a joke, I don't want to use the fact to promote the band or anything, but he's Deacon Wolfe."

Adlan
2007-05-19, 01:18 PM
Harry
Harry crains his neck about, but sees nothing. he breathes deeply, and smells both the sweet scent of jenna, the alcholic smells of the bar, and a strange unsettling feeling settles about him, but he shakes it off.
'Who? He asks, almost apolagetically. 'I'm sorry, I don't tend to keep that uptodate with pop culture, moving around so much'

Yawielas
2007-05-19, 01:41 PM
Jenna

Jenna shakes her head. "You're not from New Zealand, are you...Anyway, it's not important, I don't plan to float on his fame. I want to make my own name." She tilts her head, thinking. "Hey, that wasn't half bad, for a song lyric." She laughs a little, then looks around again, not quite able to shake the feeling she's being watched.

Adlan
2007-05-19, 03:19 PM
Harry
'So long as it has a killer Drum intro, I'll be happy' he laughs as well.
'You are right about me not being from New Zeeland, I've only been here a week. I'm what you'd call a 'Bloody POM?' right enough? When I said I made my way, I should have been clearer, I ment my way around the world.'

He sat back and gulped some of his drink.

'It's an interesting life, picking up skills as you go, I've been everything from an Emergncy courior Or Local Mechanic, to just a face in the Factory. But my Favourite time was in Africa, Playing with the local bands, Getting to ride my Bike and get paid for it, that was the life.

He leans forwards again, his peculiar eyes, one red one green, charmingly intent on Jenna. 'So what is it that you do at School then? A-levals?, I never got round to them myself.'

Yawielas
2007-05-19, 03:26 PM
Jenna

"Oh, the usual stuff. Focusing on art, drama and singing, cause that's what interests me the most. But mostly it's your average normal school subjects, history, geography, math, science....What happened to your eye, by the way? Did you hurt it?"

Adlan
2007-05-19, 03:56 PM
Harry
'Nah, Born that way' Rather than insulted or off put by Jennas curiosity about his strange eye, he grins.
'Used to scare the other kids with it, and Africa, they made me see the local shamens before they let me stay. It's jsut one of those things. Though people used to say my mum was a witch.'

Yawielas
2007-05-19, 04:00 PM
Jenna

She grins. "A witch? Why would they say that?"

Adlan
2007-05-19, 04:18 PM
Harry
'No idea, she died before I could ask her.' His tone is suddenly solid and sorrowfull. And he quickly finished his drink to hide his discomfort.
'They also said my Family was haunted. A Great Black Hellhound, Black Shuck, the terror of the coast. One look can terrify you to death, or he can drive you out to sea where you drown.' Instead of the tone of someone joking around telling fairy storys, his tone is still solid, and serious.

Prustan
2007-05-19, 09:34 PM
Harry's face suddenly contorts with pain, momentarily making conversation impossible.

Yawielas
2007-05-20, 12:24 AM
Jenna

"Harry! Are you okay?! What's wrong?!" Jenna leans across the table towards him.

Adlan
2007-05-20, 04:24 AM
Harry
Harrys eyes are screwd tight shut, and his hand goes to his temples, his grip on his skule white knuckled, as if he could squeeze the pain out.

'Gnahhh' he grunts in pain as a headache stabs pain through his mind, and behind his eyelids, visions flash across his mind.

Images Flashing bulerd across his mind, a few burning white hot into his memory, Jenna, walking a dark street, alone. A Man. No a beast, like those on the ship, It's hideous face and fangs. It's attacking her. The Blackness.

'Just like my other dreams' he murmerd, almost unaware he had spoken it out loud. 'Like the dreams that tell me to move on. But they never come this soon after I arrive.

What about on the ship? You dremt that, and you changed it?

Is Jenna in Danger!?' he thought.

'No, it's nothing. Really' his voice belies his words, and though his grimice is fading, and he has lowerd his hand, it is still pained. 'Just a.... just a thing, a headache.'

He sat up straighter, and seemed to regain his composure. 'I should probably give you a lift home uh? I have a night off tommorow, can we meet up after my shift ends, about 6ish?'

'if I can change what I see, then I've gotta stay, and save Jenna'

((OCC: Oh the Irony. Save the slayer :smallamused: ))

Yawielas
2007-05-20, 04:44 AM
Jenna

She sits back, still with a worried frown. "Sure, allright. But I can get home on my own if you're not feeling well. 6 o'clock tomorrow night, I'll be here." She grabs her bag and stands.

Adlan
2007-05-20, 07:06 AM
Harry
He stands as well, and his smile as returned to it's happy, stupid drummer grin.
'Nah. I'll give you a lift, I'm fine, and the streets arn't safe at night.' He stands, and offers over the black and batterd crash helmet.

'Come on, You'll have to tell me where your house is though. And probably show me. I don't know the area very well.'

Yawielas
2007-05-20, 01:42 PM
Jenna

"OK. It's 55 Egmont street, near the museum and library." Jenna takes the helmet, and walks in front of Harry outside, to his bike, her bag slung across her shoulder.

Adlan
2007-05-20, 05:06 PM
Harry
The bike sped along the now dark roads, the sun had set while they had talked and drank.

The noise of the engine filled harry's ears, and prevented conversation, however he slowed to a halt after whizzing across the town.

'This your place then? he asked, with a nod at the house he had halted infront of.

Yawielas
2007-05-21, 01:52 AM
Jenna

"Yeah, this is it." Jenna jumps off the bike and hands Harry the helmet. "See you tomorrow at 6, then. Goodnight." She smiles and heads up the driveway, taking the three steps up to the front door in one. Digging in her pocket she finds a key, and opens the door. With a last wave, she heads inside.

Adlan
2007-05-21, 02:15 AM
Harry
He sits for a while staring at the house, then buckles on the helmet. Revs up the bike and drives home. Well back to the bar anyway.

((Do you think we should shift scene to the rehersal tommorow morning))

Prustan
2007-05-21, 06:03 AM
(Good idea. Don't want to leave Bastion out of the story.)

As you all meet at the Grumpy Mole in the morning, you see a van parked just down the road. The driver notices you, gets out and walks over to you. "Are you guys the band? I'm Craig, and I've written a few songs I'd like you to look at. This'll be my first opportunity to have some of them performed though, as I can't play to save my life. Oh, and Captain Honeyfield made sure I put the gear in the van."
He's good-looking, and knows it. Quite tall, with blue eyes, short blond hair, and tidy, yet casual clothes.
He thinks for a minute, then says, "I also like tinkering with things, and have made a few modifications to the sound system. It doesn't look particularly good, but it works better than new."

Yawielas
2007-05-21, 06:25 AM
Jenna

Jenna smiles at the handsome lyricist and holds out her hand. "YUp, we're the band. Jenna Winter here."

Adlan
2007-05-21, 10:36 AM
Harry
The drummer smiled as well at the Songwriter.
'I'm Harry, I like tinkering with things too, wanna come inside and we can set up?'

Prustan
2007-05-21, 06:04 PM
"Sure. Lead the way." says Craig.
Doug looks a little lost for a moment, but follows as well.

Yawielas
2007-05-22, 05:34 AM
Jenna

Jenna walks on ahead, having already been to the club, but waits as Harry unlocks the door. Once inside she moves to the stage area, and starts to make room for the equipment.

Adlan
2007-05-22, 07:30 AM
Harry
The Club looks odd, lit by the natural light filtering in from the dusty windows, and the chairs are piled on the tables. The dance floor and stage are cleard, a few batterd mike stands and speakers forlornly strewed across the raised area.

'So what do you need us to shift?'

Prustan
2007-05-22, 07:58 AM
"Well, the Captain's lent us everything that's available - bass, drums, mikes, sound system, even a spare guitar if you need it. Most of it's a bit battered and worn, but it all works fine. Can't afford anything better, and really can't afford to replace anything, so you'll need to be careful with it."
He looks a bit embarressed, and pulls some sheets of paper out of a case. "Here's the songs I've written. Look over them, and tell me what you think - unless they're really awful, in which case lie."
(Roll Int + Art to judge the quality of the songs.)

Yawielas
2007-05-22, 09:55 AM
Jenna

She reads through the songs, tilting her head as she tries to imagine them sung.

(Int + Art = 14 http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1092 )

GryffonDurime
2007-05-22, 11:20 AM
Bastian

A knock is heard at the door, and shortly after Bastian sticks his head in through the doorway, panting lightly as if he'd just ran all the way here.

"Sorry, I'm not too late am I?"

Gah, this always happens. Next time, I'm curling up with a book of less untold potential evils...no one ever stays up late using the Spellbook for Dummies as a page-turner.

Prustan
2007-05-25, 05:55 AM
Jenna likes what she sees. And we're waiting for Harry's roll.

Adlan
2007-05-26, 01:41 AM
(Sorry, Exams useing all computers at school + Problems with home net)

Harry puzzles over the music, He's never learn't to read music, but the drum tabs seems fairly self explanatory.

((Roll (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1068083) of Art+Int of 12))

Prustan
2007-05-27, 07:01 AM
Doug hands one of the songs to Bastion. Harry also likes what he sees.

You start setting up the equipment for your rehearsal. Craig was right about the sound system, as you all have no idea what on earth he's done to it, but it sounds great. As you work, Craig asks "Any ideas on what you're going to call yourselves yet?"

Yawielas
2007-05-28, 12:40 AM
Jenna

Jenna studies the group for a band name inspiration. "Hmmm....Depends a little on our style of music, I guess. But since this is a thown together group, I think I'd say Coincidence, Accidental, or Random, Random Play or something like that."

Prustan
2007-05-30, 06:19 PM
Everyone make a Notice + Perception roll - again with no drama points.

(And where is everyone?)

Yawielas
2007-05-31, 02:15 AM
Jenna

(Perception + notice = 7, so no success levels. http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1175 )

"These songs are very good, by the way." Jenna smiles at Craig.

(I'm here:) )

Adlan
2007-05-31, 04:45 AM
((Roll (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1076971) of 11

I'm Here, I'm just.... quiet.))

Prustan
2007-05-31, 11:16 PM
(Will wait for the others to roll before posting results.)

Yawielas
2007-06-05, 05:17 AM
(Gryffin? Where are you? By the way, I'll be away from thrusday to sunday, but I'll be able to post occasionally during that time)

GryffonDurime
2007-06-05, 11:01 AM
((I'm here, just mortally bored. 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1086055)))

Prustan
2007-06-05, 06:10 PM
Jenna is far too engrossed in the songs to notice anything, while Harry and Bastion feel like someone's watching them. They can't see anything when they looks around, but the feeling stays while everyone sets up.

(and what are you bored with Gryffon?)

Yawielas
2007-06-13, 01:27 PM
Jenna looks up again from the songs, getting no reaction to her suggestion of band names. "That bad, huh? These songs are great, though."

(I'm here, and I'm not bored:) Where are you, guys?)

Prustan
2007-06-15, 12:30 AM
(I'm still here. I just have to wait for you guys to post something for me.)

Yawielas
2007-06-20, 05:20 PM
"Guys? Bandnames? Cat got your tongues?"

Prustan
2007-06-22, 07:11 AM
(I really hope not, but I may be forced to declare the game dead. If Adlan and/or Gryffon haven't posted by the 30th, then I will have to concede defeat.)

Yawielas
2007-06-22, 07:16 AM
(I hope not. Is it enough for one of them to post, since you've got an NPC as well? Should we recruit one more? Adlan is active on the boards, don't know why he hasn't posted here, I'll ask him. I'm a stayer, though:) )

Adlan
2007-06-22, 05:28 PM
(I'm here, I'm here. for some reason my e-mail notifyier was not on this thread)

Prustan
2007-06-24, 09:17 PM
(Okay, we're still in business. Without further input from Gryffon, I may run Bastion as an NPC - though that could get really confusing, and I'd rather not. Any final decisions will be made on the 30th. Until then, why don't we continue?)

Yawielas
2007-06-25, 01:31 AM
(Yes, I'm just waiting for an answer to my post(s), and we're in business:) Mabe we could recruit someone we trust and know to be a reliable poster?)

Adlan
2007-06-25, 12:25 PM
'I haven't got a clue when it comes to names. Random Play dosn't make any sense. So it seems perfect' Harry said, half to himself.

Yawielas
2007-06-25, 12:34 PM
Jenna

"Well, that's to for Random Play, then." She looks to the others. "Any objections?"

GryffonDurime
2007-06-25, 02:51 PM
(To be honest? I don't think this game is my speed. Best of luck to ya'll, but I'm most likely out.)

Prustan
2007-06-26, 07:03 AM
(Sorry to hear that Gryffon, and I also wish you luck. And to Yawielas, I would recruit someone else, but I don't know anyone. Kind of too new. If you know anyone, let me know and I can send him/her Bastion's character info.)
Doug kind of nods agreement, happy to let everyone else make the decisions.

"I'm no good with names either," says Craig "Random Play is probably much better then anything I could come up with."

Yawielas
2007-06-26, 02:32 PM
(I'll ask around)

Jenna smiles. "Random Play it is then. Now, let's get started on these songs, I can't wait to hear the tune!"

Prustan
2007-07-03, 05:13 AM
Okay, make the relevant instrument/singing rolls, and post the results.

Yawielas
2007-07-03, 12:25 PM
(Singing: 14 = successlevel 3 ? http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1532 )

Jenna heads for the mike and tries out the new song. It's unfamiliar, so she takes a little while to find the right notes, but it sounds ok.Not as great as the audition, but ok.

Prustan
2007-07-04, 05:33 PM
(Adlan?)
Doug also struggles to get the bass right. It doesn't sound horrible, but it's not particularly good either. "Sorry, I think I messed up."

Adlan
2007-07-05, 04:07 AM
(Here sir)

With a Thunderous intro, Harry instantly slips into a rock steady beat, hitting all the right beats....
....usually in the right order.

[roll0]

Prustan
2007-07-05, 07:04 PM
Bastion messes up several chords, a few of them quite badly. (total 8 with modifiers)
"Damn. Knew I should have gone to sleep earlier. Can we do that again?"

Yawielas
2007-07-06, 01:41 AM
Jenna

"Sure, I'm not too satisfied either. But hey, it's only the first try." Jenna clears her throat and prepares to do it again.

Adlan
2007-07-06, 03:45 AM
'Screw Ups are why we reherse' Harry grinned, and counted people in again.

Prustan
2007-07-06, 05:39 AM
You all have a productive day rehearsing, and by the end of it, you have learned Craig's songs fairly well (no more unfamiliarity modifiers).

(Did you want to do anything else during the session, or are we good to move on?)

Yawielas
2007-07-06, 06:04 AM
(I'm good to move on. Jenna isn't doing much else than singing, and flirting a little with Craig:) )

Prustan
2007-07-06, 07:39 PM
(And Craig is flirting back at Jenna :) )

Yawielas
2007-07-08, 01:53 PM
(OOC: I'll be away on vacation from July 10th to maybe the 16th or 17th, and will probably not have internet access in that time. Feel free to NPC my character:) )

Prustan
2007-07-08, 05:39 PM
(Probably not such a good idea. And I'm now assuming that Adlan didn't want to do anything else in the rehearsal.)

After a productive rehearsal, Doug, Bastion and Craig all separate and go to their homes. What are Harry and Jenna doing? (It's starting to get late, and, before anything else, make a Perception roll)

Adlan
2007-07-09, 01:49 AM
(yeah, I had nothin going. Apart from jealous looks at craig, wether interestd or just protective, time will tell).

'Need another lift Home? Harry Asks, as he clears up for opening time.

Yawielas
2007-07-09, 08:57 AM
(Perception+notice= 16 http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1596 )

Jenna looks from Craig to Harry. "Uh, sure, okay. Thanks."

Prustan
2007-07-10, 06:10 AM
Jenna, you think you see someone hurrying away from the area where Harry keeps his bike. You also see a small pool of liquid underneath the bike.

Yawielas
2007-07-10, 07:07 AM
"Harry, someone might have messed with your bike, there's oil or something...And someone ran off when we came out." She runs over to the bike, squatting down to get a closer look at the pool of liquid.

Prustan
2007-07-11, 02:44 AM
Upon closer examination, you discover that it's petrol under the bike (wind was blowing the wrong way for you to smell it). You can also see a hole in the petrol tank, and drops of some different sort of clear liquid leading off in the direction you saw the person running.

Adlan
2007-07-11, 04:20 AM
Harry

'Huh?'
HArry reaches down, and touches the pool of clear liquid, he dosn't even have to bring it to his nose, he can smell it's petrol, despite the wind.

'Who'd do this?' He touches the hole on the under side of the tank. 'Damnation, I'd just got a New Tank!'

He got up, his nostrils flaring like he was scenting the wind.

'Come on, we can catch the B*stard' He points at the trail leading off.

Prustan
2007-07-14, 04:00 AM
(Make more Perception rolls to see if you can follow the trail.)

Yawielas
2007-07-16, 04:00 PM
(Perception check 12 http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1662 )

Jenna nods and runs after Harry. "He went this way!"

(OOC: I think Adlan is having internet problems, he mentioned something like that in another post. Perhaps you could roll for him, so we can move on? And so that Bastian/Truwar can join as well?)

Prustan
2007-07-20, 05:21 PM
Harry and Jenna can follow the trail, and Jenna also notices that the liquid drops you're following appear to be seawater.

Yawielas
2007-07-20, 05:31 PM
"Huh...water? A surfer, maybe?" Jenna pointsout the droplets to Harry as they're running past, following the trail of the perpetrator.

Prustan
2007-07-23, 06:11 AM
As you follow the trail into an alley, you see two shapes at the end, which step into the faint streetlight. (Jenna, take a Fear test, -3 Penalty, and no Drama points) They're hideous. Water is constantly dripping off their bodies, their clothes are rotting from constant damp, and their faces...grey skin, sagging and wrinkled, almost melting.

You hear a thud, as another one lands behind you. One of them speaks, "Ah, Harry. We finally found you. We have been planning what we would do to you for a very long time. Can you imagine how long it took for us to get back to land, after you dumped us off the side of that ship? You and your friend are going to get a taste of what we went through, before you drown."

And they start closing in...

Yawielas
2007-07-23, 06:31 AM
(Is it double Willpower? I'm at work and don't have my character sheet available, but I'll just roll a dice and you can add it up, ok?
Result=4 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1166906 )

Jenna lets out a high pitched scream and turns to run.

Truwar
2007-07-23, 09:05 AM
Sebastian looks up from his book of magic, sure he heard a sound (Maybe a girl's scream?) outside of his window.

Perception check: 1d10+4=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1167160)

Adlan
2007-07-23, 03:53 PM
((Sorry, I have indeed have Net problems, but should be fixed now))

Harry

Harry Snarled, and with a fierce grin on his face shouts to Jenna.

'Leggit. I'll hold 'em up. Find Light, and other people'

And with that, he dives for the nearest one, slipping into an Escrima Fighting Pose, and twirling his drumsticks, as he lashes out with his left hand, and fients with his right.

((What do I need to roll?))

Prustan
2007-07-23, 10:57 PM
Ok. Bastian hears a scream, followed by some shouting. He can, if he hurries, get there in three Turns - also assuming that he doesn't mistake the direction of the fighting (needs to make more Listen checks to go the right way).
The two front vampires are going to try to grapple Harry, one going low - for his legs, and the other going for one of his swinging arms. The vampire behind is going to try grappling Jenna, reaching out to grab her throat.
Harry and Jenna need to make Initiative rolls (Double Dex + D10). Jenna also needs to make one Dodge roll, while Harry needs to make one attack roll (pick your target, your combat move, and add D10), and a Dodge. The second Dodge will be 2 less than the first.
The results will let me narrate exactly what happens, and if you feel you need to, you can use a Drama point.

Truwar
2007-07-24, 08:26 AM
Yes, that was definitely a scream…

Sebastian grabs his baseball bat and hustles down stairs. When he gets to the street, he listens closely, trying to get a fix on where the person in trouble was.

Listen check: 1d10+4=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1168965)

Yawielas
2007-07-24, 09:22 AM
(Init: 1d10+8=17 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1169034
Dodge: 1d10+7=16 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1169036 )

Jenna continues to scream as one of the horrific creatures tries to grab her, and due to her aikido training, she automatically tries to move out of his way.

Prustan
2007-07-25, 06:53 PM
Current Initiative Order:
Jenna - 17
Vampires - 13, 12, 11
Harry - ?
Bastion - Not needed yet.

Bastion has a really good fix on where the action is.

Jenna's training and reflexes catches the creature by surprise, and it misses her throat. It's slimy hand is momentaraly caught in her hair, but slips through before it can get a firm grip. Surprisingly, instead of such a close call frightening her further, Jenna feels braver and stronger then ever.

Harry?

Adlan
2007-07-26, 02:23 AM
Harry will use his Drumsticks and try and use them as part of an Escrima fighting style, but I think it should probably count as a grapple role (Roll of 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1172953))

And His Initative is a roll of 7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1172955)

Prustan
2007-07-26, 05:57 AM
Your roll of 10 (Double Dex I said) still has you acting last.

The two front vampires close in on Harry, one of them going low and tangling up his legs, while the other grabs Harry's right arm - just in time to have the left deliver an almost perfect blow to the head. It slumps to the ground, stunned for a few seconds.

Harry now has a -2 Penalty to Dodge, unless he can get that vampire off his legs. The other one lost it's grip, took 15 points of damage, and will be acting last in the next Turn (at a penalty from seeing stars).

Yawielas
2007-07-26, 06:29 AM
Feeling a sudden rush of bravery coming on, Jenna tries to kick the gruesome guy attacking her in the privates. It was, she'd learn before, a very quick and effective way to get rid of unwanted attention. Question was, would it work as well on this dead looking thing as it did on teenage boys?

(Am at work, but Dex is 4, unless it's higher now, Kung Fu is 3, unless it's higher now, and strength is 3 I think (unless it's higher now;) I rolled a 7http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1173178 )

Truwar
2007-07-26, 08:45 AM
Sebastian legs it towards they place he heard the last scream, hoping he would not arrive too late.

Listen: 1d10+4=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1173322)

Adlan
2007-07-26, 02:27 PM
Harrys Going to Grapple with the Vampire attacking his legs. http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1173922

If he Can, He'll try and get a headbut on one of them, which would be the same roll as his grapple.

Prustan
2007-07-27, 08:55 PM
For further reference, if in combat, always give a Dodge roll unless I specifically say not to, just in case you're getting attacked.

Bastian, you can now see Harry's sabotaged bike, and hear the sounds of fighting in the alley. One more Turn of running, and then you need to roll Initiative.

Jenna, the creature easily avoids your kick, grabs your leg, and almost casually throws you into an impromptu backflip. You land flat on your back, with some of the wind knocked out of you (6 points of damage). You'll need to get up quickly (Dex + Acrobatics + D10), as you're at -2 to defense while prone, and can't attack for a Turn.

Harry, your head lands right where it's supposed to, winding the vampire on your legs (14 points of damage), and causing it to lose it's grip. The other vampire takes a swing at your head, which misses by a mile, as you duck down to deliver your headbutt.
Turn 3.

(By the way, would any of you kill me if I adapted and expanded the 'magic crystals' idea from the XBox game?)

Adlan
2007-07-28, 04:24 AM
((I have No idea what those are, go for it))

Harry

With his drumsticks, and wishing he hadn't left his escrima Staff behind on his bike, harry is going to press his attack on the vampire he headbutted. Stabbing and battering with the drumsticks.

Rolls : Here (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1177277)

Yawielas
2007-07-28, 05:55 AM
(I don't know what that is either, so it's cool with me:)
Dex+acrobatics+1d10=15, unless her stats are up.
Dodge=12, unless her stats are up )

"Uummph!" Jenna tries to catch her breath again while she rolls to her feet, wondering what is happening. Seeing Harry fight these creatures like it's an everyday occurrence gives her a boost of confidence, though, and she decides she can do this.

Prustan
2007-07-30, 06:53 AM
(The 'magic crystals' is a very simple idea. In the XBox game, you have two bars - 'Slayer power', and health. Collect the right crystal, hand them to Willow, she casts a spell, and your bars increase. I was thinking that certain crystals would give boosts, permanent increases and/or experience points towards skills/attributes, with more crystals giving a bigger boost, but requiring a more powerful spell to use.)

Harry, your savage attack has the vampire on the ground desperately trying to block, and get away from you (20 damage). Unfortunately, you are so focused on it, that you don't see the other one shake off the last effects of it's head injury, until it's too late. It's fist explodes into your view, and only your natural toughness and training lets you keep your feet (12 damage).

Jenna, you flip to your feet without a problem. Unfortunately, you flip right into the creature's rapidly approaching foot, which sends you flying back onto your butt (18 damage). The good news is, you are now good and mad, and feel stronger than you ever have before - despite the pain. (Your Slayer powers are now active.)

Bastion, you see a girl (you think its Jenna) landing painfully just outside the alley where you've been hearing fighting. Roll Initiative, and post your actions.

Yawielas
2007-07-30, 09:57 AM
(Life points 79, dmg 24)

Jenna reacts on instinct as the Slayer powers activates, and she rolls to her feet, leaping into the air to deliver a jump kick to the vampire's chest. The hairs on her neck are standing on edge as she subconsciously recognizes her age old enemies.

(Dex+acrobatics+1d10=19 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1181663
Dex+Kung Fu-3+drama point for jump kick= 27 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1181669
Damage: 21+5=26

Truwar
2007-08-03, 08:43 AM
((Initiative: 1d10+3=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1190305) ))

Cripes! Bastion mutters to himself as he rushes around the corner. Upon seeing the vampires he groans audibly. Vampires, great. You would think I could go, I don’t know, maybe a week without something crazy and supernatural happening to me?

Sliding to a halt, Bastion raises a hand and focuses his will power at the vampire attacking Jenna. His eyes flare red for just the barest hint of a moment, then fire engulfs the vampire.

((Ignite Fire on Vampire’s clothing (using a drama point): 1d10+23=33 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1190307) ))

Adlan
2007-08-03, 04:43 PM
Harry

Stunned, harry trys to twist out of the mess, so he can get both opponents on one side of him

(Dodge (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1191252) Roll, anything else?)

Adlan
2007-08-03, 04:45 PM
Harry

Stunned, harry trys to twist out of the mess, so he can get both opponents on one side of him

(Dodge (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1191252) Roll, anything else?)

Prustan
2007-08-04, 12:25 AM
Jenna, your perfectly aimed and executed jump kick hits the creature with a force that even surprises it - you hear (and feel) several bones cracking under your foot.

Harry. Did you mean going Full Defense, to position them for next Turn?

Bastion, your spell strikes with much more force than you expected. The vampires unnaturally wet clothing provides it with no protection, and it's engulfed in flames. After flailing around for a second or two, it explodes into dust.
(Everyone make a Perception roll.)

The other two vampires hear the snapping bones, see at the untamed fury of Bastion's spell, say "Slayer!" and sprint away.

Adlan
2007-08-04, 06:27 AM
(Yeah, my bad, full defense, but they have run off. So moot point)

Perception (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1192223) Roll of 10

Yawielas
2007-08-04, 10:39 AM
Perception: 8 http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1919

Jenna is too stunned by the fact a monster just exploded into dust right in front of her to notice anything else. She doesn't even see the others running away. ".....what.....What in the blazing Hell was that?!"

Adlan
2007-08-04, 01:57 PM
Harry, His voice Solid and heavy, in his stunned sort of way.

'I.....

....uh.....

Well, On the Boat over here, I shoved them Overboard....

Prustan
2007-08-06, 02:56 AM
(Going away until Thursday night, so I thought I'd post the next bit now.)

When you return to Harry's bike, you find a arrow sticking out of the hole in the petrol tank, with an envelope attached. Inside the envelope, you find $150 and a letter.

"To the owner, I don't think this will cover the cost of the tank, but my gift should help. I thought I'd have to reveal myself and dust one of them, but you managed to defeat them after all. A shame that the other two got away, but you all did quite well for a first fight.

Tell the new Slayer that I'll be watching, and, next time you fight vampires, be sure to drive something sharp and wooden through their hearts. Also, be sure to pick up that red gem that the dustpile left behind - have your magician friend research some spells using gems. I'm told that the results can be quite invigorating.

Until next time."

Yawielas
2007-08-06, 10:22 AM
Jenna reads over Harry's shoulder, still quite shocked after what she just witnessed. ".....Vampires? Magicians? Did we just step into the twilight zone or something? Harry, what's going on?! You knew those guys?" Jenna's voice is climbing and climbing, soon reaching the point of hysteria.

Truwar
2007-08-06, 11:45 AM
Perception Check: 1d10+6=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1195480)

Bastion shoots an eyebrow up at Jenna’s apparent confusion. Since when does a Slayer get all worked up about Vampires, heck even Mages, there are a lot more of us around than there are of you. But that is a good question. Harry how DID you get acquainted with a couple of vampires, you know, besides the pushing them off a boat part…

Yawielas
2007-08-06, 01:06 PM
Jenna looks from Bastion to Harry, her eyes wide. ".......Great....You're both crazy...If this is some big practical joke, I swear I'll kick your ass...asses...." She backs slowly away from the two.

Truwar
2007-08-06, 01:20 PM
What? Don’t you know you are a Slayer? Come on, I saw that kick you landed on the vampire before I gave him the old “ignition”. You busted half of his ribs.

He can see the scared confusion on her face and raises his hands placatingly. Look, maybe you don’t know you are a Slayer, I don’t know all THAT much about them but you are what 50, 55 kilos max and you just crushed the ribcage of, for the purposes of this argument, a grown man with a kick?

I thought Slayers got trained to do what they do but maybe it just comes to them. Those vamps certainly knew who you were…

Yawielas
2007-08-07, 01:24 AM
"Slayer? What the hell are you talking about? I train Aikido, I got in a lucky shot! If anyone's a slayer like you say, it's Harry! Didn't you just say you threw them overboard somewhere, Harry?" Jenna looks to Harry, not really believing she's having this conversation. "And you!" She turns to Bastion. "You set him on fire?! Just how did you do that?!"

Adlan
2007-08-07, 04:33 AM
Harry

Harry, comming down off the adrenaline of the fight, is slow in his thoughts.

'Uhhhh.... Yeah, Yeah I did. On the Ferry here, I threw them overboard, about 2 days from shore. I uughhhh.

Harry took a deep breath and examined his bike, the puncture wasn't really that bad, a welder and some steel sheet should make it tight again.

'Look, I Don't understand this. I was working my passage, from the Phillipines to here, thats how I travel. It was late, and I came on Deck. These 3 Guys, they were Attacking this woman, the Captains daughter I think.'

'I have these dreams, dreams that tell me to move on , the Dreams, their start, I dunno 3 weeks after I arrive usually, their bad stuff, nightmares. I get the feeling their gonna happen.
So I move on, so they don't, and the dreams stop. But this time, I had dreamed about the girl, on the ship, and I saw her Die, i think they Guys were trying to rape her, or do somthing to her, the dreams arn't always clear.'

He exhaled a long sigh

'I couldn't let that happen could I? So I charged them, they were surprised, and I managed to shove them overboard. Only the Captain and the Girl knew, they wern't on the crew. I killed them'

Yawielas
2007-08-07, 09:39 AM
"Uh...I don't really think you did...At least not dead enough...Now....I suggest we go pick up this gem thing the letter mentioned, then go somewhere and talk. Because I think there's some stuff you guys haven't told me..."

Truwar
2007-08-07, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I suppose you are right about that. Besides, I don’t want to hang around for our friend with the penchant for archery delivered messages to decide to give us any “personal” memos.

Bastion heads over to the pile of dust that until recently had been a slavering creature of the night and plucks up the gem, trying to remember if he had heard anything about gems like this in any of his father’s lessons on combating the undead.

Occult Knowledge Check(intelligence + occultism): 1d10+9=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1197011)

Adlan
2007-08-07, 03:02 PM
'Can we go get somthing to eat? I'm not working tonight, and I'm ravenous'

Harry stands, and stretches, when he speaks, it's as if his eyes look a little more wolfish, his canines a little longer, and his hair a little rougher, but it might just be the light and the fight.

'We can talk while we eat. And you' he points at Bastion 'Can explain what me and the Lass don't know'

Yawielas
2007-08-08, 07:07 AM
"Sounds like a plan..." Jenna looks from Harry to Bastion, then back again at Harry, frowning a little. Then she shakes her head a bit to herself. "Let's go."

Prustan
2007-08-10, 02:07 AM
Bastion - As you pick up the small, brilliantly red gem, you feel a momentary rush of energy from it pass through your body.

Your memory is excellent, and you recall several legends regarding the supposed powers of certain gems, but you've never heard of a specific case where someone actually did gain power from them. According to legend, red gems are supposed to be tied to the body, and someone can gain strength by casting the right spell to unlock their power.

(Keep talking everyone. I'll jump in again when the time is right...)

Yawielas
2007-08-10, 02:55 AM
Jenna heads for a small pizza place a couple of blocks away. She walks quite fast, feeling oddly full of energy, and only looks back once or twice to make sure the boys are coming. "I know a place. They have good pizza, and private booths where we can talk."

Truwar
2007-08-10, 11:00 AM
Pizza right… Bastion feels his rather slim wallet and sighs. Well, it looks like it was going to be Ramen for a while at home. Although he might be able to get something for the gem. Besides Jenna was obviously in over her head.

It was only a matter of time before word of a Slayer got around and that kind of thing tended to attract the things that thought they could take down a Slayer. Judging by Jenna’s complete lack of experience, that might not be all that tough for some of the sharks that would come sniffing around either. Harry had the guts to stand up to a pack of vampires too.

He couldn’t abandon them to the tender mercies of the folks that would be looking for them, they were completely out of their depth. He just wished he did not have the nasty suspicion that he was out of his depth too…

Pizza sounds good to me.

Adlan
2007-08-11, 02:41 AM
Harry

'Pizza sounds good to me. I'm buying' Harry pats his jacket pocket, where he had stashed the wad of notes that the arrow had given him.

The Pizza Place

It was busy in the restaurant, as you'd expect in anyshop, during the early evening, people on dates, or picking up a takeaway bustled about, But Harry, Jenna and Bastion found a quiet corner alcove.

'So, I'll go order, what do you guys want? Harry asks.

(I hope you don't mind, just wanted to move along a bit, keep us rolling.)

Yawielas
2007-08-11, 04:56 AM
"I'll have a veggie pizza," Jenna answers as she slides into the alcove. "And a coke".

Prustan
2007-08-11, 10:11 PM
(Doesn't worry me. And when you've finished your pizza fueled chat, I've got the next surprise all ready...)

Truwar
2007-08-13, 10:01 AM
Pepperoni and a coke too.

As they settle in to the secluded booth at the back of the Pizza Parlor, Bastion looks at his two new “Bandmates”. He knew something was happening, it always did around him. He was not sure why but he seemed to be a magnet for supernatural trouble.

He just was not sure if these two were the trouble or were caught up in it too… No, she was a slayer right? And he was tangling with vampires before Bastion had even met him. They seemed pretty clueless for people as involved as they apparently were, however.

So... what do you two know about magic?

Yawielas
2007-08-13, 10:50 AM
Jenna gives a wry smile. "Uhm....They teach it at Hogwarts?"

Adlan
2007-08-13, 03:00 PM
Harry
With a bite of El Diablo pizza in his mouth, Harry Laughed, and half choked to death.

'I know there are things in this world I don't understand, but why Say magic?'

'You can't mean that those... the people... uh....

Harry redens a little and lowers his voice.

'The people who I pushed off the boat. They survied because their what? Wizards?'

Truwar
2007-08-15, 02:38 PM
No… they survived because they are human corpses animated by demonic spirit creatures, also known vampires. When I spoke about magic, I meant all of the stuff that goes bump in the night, the things you do not hear about on the evening news…

Hmm, I am guessing you don’t then. Well, you are in the middle of it now. He looks at Jenna. I think you are probably a Slayer. Those vampires seemed to think so anyway and I would suppose that they have a pretty good feeling for that.

Now a magician probably would have drowned if you pushed him into the ocean, if he could not swim to the shore anyway. At least, I know I would have.

Yawielas
2007-08-15, 02:48 PM
Jenna stares at Bastion. "A slayer? Well, that sounds charming...Or rather, ominous...I'm guessing this slayage has nothing to do with being a killer on stage...And you're a magician, or a wizard. And Harry fought those...things...before, throwing them overboard. You call them vampires, so I'm guessing they've got special powers and stuff, superstrength and all that, so what does that make him? A slayer or a wizard? Or maybe a mutant, an x-man..." Jenna can't quite keep a small grin off her face at the end of the sentence. "Sorry...It's just a lot to take in. A guy just turned to dust in front of me, and I feel like I'm on steroids or something."

Adlan
2007-08-15, 05:46 PM
Harry

'Hey, don't look at me. I know it's my fault you got messed up in this, but I'm the normal one here'

He turned to Bastion
'I am, Arn't I?'

Truwar
2007-08-16, 11:36 AM
Weeeell, I suppose you MIGHT have just taken them by surprise and knocked them overboard. But considering the fact that your average vampire has the reflexes of an alley cat on crystal meth… Bastion shrugs. Who knows, with my luck you are probably some prophesied warrior-king reborn to aid the slayer in her darkest hour. I do know there are two vampires that want to make a lunch of you and that word of a slayer will spread too.

Adlan
2007-08-16, 12:45 PM
'Bollocks!'

Harry Sat Back in his Chair.

'So, Whats a Slayer? And whats your luck?'

Yawielas
2007-08-16, 01:12 PM
Jenna also looks curious to find out what Bastion knows. "Yeah, and who shot the gas tank? A mysterious benefactor? Some hidden mentor? Batman? Robin Hood?"

Prustan
2007-08-17, 12:23 AM
(I should remind you that the vampires punctured the gas tank, then the 'mysterious benefactor' used it as a place to hang the envelope.)

Truwar
2007-08-17, 09:54 AM
Well, a bat-man is more likely to bite your face off than leave a mysterious note hanging about and if Robin Hood is still around there is a good chance he is a vampire and therefore not really fit for polite company. I thought I may have heard something about Slayers being trained but I can’t really be sure, most of what I have heard is third-hand, at best.

Yawielas
2007-08-17, 10:25 AM
Jenna shakes her head to herself. "What are these slayers you're talking about? And why would a trainor just leave a mysterious note in stead of coming to talk to us?" She grips her glass of coke, still quite upset after tonight's incident, and lets out a small yelp when the glass shatters in her grasp.

Adlan
2007-08-18, 05:02 AM
Harry grabs here hand as she smashes the glass, and opens here palm. Luckily there was no glass embedded in it, only a long gash across her hand.

'I think that means you're the slayer, I'd have trouble doing that if I ment to' He mutterd to here in a hushed whisper.

He gave her some napkins from the box of them in the middle of the table, and began to mop up and gather up the glass as one of the staff came over to investigate.

Yawielas
2007-08-18, 05:21 AM
Jenna presses the napkins against the gash, chewing her lip as she watches the pieces of broken glass on the table. Looking from Harry to Bastion, she whispers:"What's happening to me? This morning I had trouble opening a jar of jam..."

Prustan
2007-08-19, 10:09 PM
(Basic principles for the crystal magic (which colour crystals affect which attribute) now done. Interested characters need to do the research though. And Bastion's spell library limit is now decided.)

Truwar
2007-08-20, 09:22 AM
Bastion shrugs at Jenna’s question. I know about as much about Slayers as the average Joe off the street knows about cars. I know what they do and have a VERY general idea about how they do it, but I am no mechanic. I think they are supposed to have some kind of trainer or something, but I am not really sure.

He glances down at the red gem in his palm. I think I will take your “benefactor’s” advice and look into this gem, however. I have a nasty suspicion that we are going to need whatever edge we can find pretty soon.

Yawielas
2007-08-20, 02:29 PM
Jenna ties a handkerchief around her hand, shaking her head. "Great...I'm supposed to slay things, but we don't know what or who, and I have no trainer. Why do I get the feeling this thing is gonna cut way into my schoolwork? Speaking of which, I should get home. School tomorrow..."

Prustan
2007-08-21, 01:58 AM
Meanwhile, in an old warehouse...

"Did you get your revenge?" intones a voice from the shadows. The two escaped vampires jump, and turn towards the sound.
"No. We had him and his girl trapped, and were beating on them without trouble. Then she turns out to be a Slayer, and some Black dude fries Robert with a wave of his hand. What are we going to do?"

"Don't worry about the Slayer. In just a few days, preparations will be complete, and she will be as helpless as an ant about to be crushed underfoot. But be sure to keep them from interfering, or what I will do to you will make the Slayer and her friends seem like little kittens!"

(Just a little hint for you three, but not the characters obviously. I'll be back Friday.)

Prustan
2007-08-24, 12:57 AM
(In the interests of moving things along...)

Having exchanged contact details, and still having more questions than answers, you all separate and go home.

Jenna, waiting for you on the door to your flat (apartment to most other countries), is another letter, addressed to 'The Slayer', attached with another arrow.

"I just realized something - you need to arm yourself, both with information, and with weapons. Go to the shop 'The Other Place' as soon as possible. Say to the owner 'Luxonite', and he will show you the real stuff - not the fake stuff put out for the tourists. His prices are high, but the merchandise is of quality not easily found.

Be well."

Yawielas
2007-08-24, 01:10 AM
Jenna reads the note and quickly rolls it up, stuffing it in her pocket while glancing around to see if anyone's noticed. Fumbling a little with her keys, she finally gets the door open, and steps inside, locking it thoroughly behind her. This would be so much easier if that guy would just show himself...Or herself... She heads to the bathroom to clean her wound and check out her bruises from the fight. After washing up and looking through her schoolbag for the next day, she goes to bed, but lies awake thinking half the night. The other half is plagued by strange dreams.

Truwar
2007-08-24, 08:53 AM
Bastion makes his way towards home, then thinks better of it. Instead he heads, grumbling towards Jenna’s house and prepares himself for a long, unpleasant night of standing guard.

Adlan
2007-08-25, 02:40 AM
Harry flipped up the welders mask. the air stank with the smell of metal work and ozone.

But he had finished, there was a bright shiney patch on his bikes fuel tank. Not pretty, but like the rest of Harry, tough and hard working.

Now he could turn in for the night, he went up to his tiny room, stretched out on the matress that served as his bed, and went to sleep.

Yawielas
2007-08-25, 02:57 AM
When Jenna wakes up the next morning, she tries to convince herself for a moment that last night was just another of those strange dreams. But when she heads to the bathroom for a shower, and checks the gash in her hand, she frowns. The band aid is still in place, but the skin underneat is smooth and healed. The bruises from the fight are also gone, and she feels quite good. Not wanting to think about this untill she can discuss it with the others, she gets dressed after a quick shower, and goes to the kitchen for a bite to eat before heading off to school.

Remembering the note that was stuck on the door in the last minute, she saves it out of the pocket of her jeans before it gets lost in the washing machine. She stuffs it in the pocket of her new pair of trousers, slings her schoolbag over one shoulder, and leaves the house.

Prustan
2007-08-25, 05:02 AM
Bastion finds a likely place to keep watch, and spends a fairly cold, but boring night.
Jenna, as you go out the door, make a Perception test.
Harry, costs for the pizza, drink, broken cup etc. totaled $20.

Yawielas
2007-08-25, 05:19 AM
Jenna is too preoccupied with thinking of last night to notice much of anything as she steps out of the house, and heads straight for the garden gate, and out onto the pavement.

(Perception+notice =8 http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2053 )

Truwar
2007-08-25, 03:46 PM
Bastion almost groans in relief as Jenna heads off to school in the daylight and quickly heads back to his tiny apartment, ready to get some sleep at last.

Con+Con check: [roll0]

Prustan
2007-08-26, 06:20 AM
(Truwar, this is why PM'd information should be replied to with Pms. Bastion didn't make it through the night.)

Jenna is so preoccupied, she somehow misses the large African man snoring quite loudly under a tree, where he would have a good view of her flat - if he was awake.
About five minutes later, Bastion is woken by a small hand shaking his shoulder, and a girl's voice saying "Hey Mister, are you okay?"

Truwar
2007-08-29, 09:03 AM
((Hmm, I apologize, your previous post made believe he had already made it through the night and I assumed the con+con check was to see if he could simply stave off boredom. Also, I never really pictured Bastion as all that big, he has a 2 str 3 dex and a 2 con))

Bastion’s eyes flutter open as he looks up at the young woman in front of him. What? Oh yes! Thanks for waking me. That is the last night I try to stay to catch a glimpse of the local Morepork Owls without a nice big cup of coffee! I have been in New Zealand for over a year and I have not seen one yet.

Prustan
2007-08-29, 04:27 PM
(Ah, I see. Yes, I was not clear enough, and I apologise. And the 'big' reference was more to height (should have said tall), then to mass.)

The girl looks at you, says "Just checking. You didn't look like a homeless person, so my friends told me to wake you up and ask. Bye," and runs back to a group of whispering and giggling girls.

(What's everyone going to do over the day? Jenna will need to take an Int + Will test to see how badly she's preoccupied at school, but what about Harry and Bastion?)

Truwar
2007-08-29, 04:55 PM
Bastion, thankful the girl did not bother to ask why he had no bird viewing equipment, heads straight for home a takes a nap for a couple of hours. Upon waking he removes the red gem from his pocket and begins searching through his library, hoping to find something referring to it and its odd properties.

Yawielas
2007-08-29, 06:11 PM
(Int+will= 11, success level 2 http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2099 )

Prustan
2007-08-31, 04:49 AM
Bastion, after searching through your library, you do find one small reference. 'A gem as red as blood, did magnify his Strength, and allowed him to vanquish the demon.' That's it, unfortunately. Your family rubbished the 'magical properties of crystals' so much that you don't have the books for anything more informative.

Jenna, while you are very preoccupied, and stare off into space quite a lot, your natural intelligence and powerful subconcious always supply the right answer whenever one of the teachers asks you. And somehow, you have all the correct notes too.

Yawielas
2007-08-31, 05:33 AM
After getting through school surprisingly well, Jenna heads home, stopping by the supermarket to get some groceries.

Truwar
2007-09-04, 09:46 AM
Cursing his lack of a proprer library with which to conduct his research, Bastion starts running through his contacts in the magical community for where he might be able to access more information on the gems.

Adlan
2007-09-05, 02:13 AM
Harry

Harry spent the day fixing his bike, till he was satisfied that it was working properly, and the revs of the engine could be heard from the garage.

In the late afternoon sun, the bike engine roared down the street.

Harry was looking for trouble.

Prustan
2007-09-05, 08:55 PM
Harry, during your riding around, you somehow manage to find another couple of bikers, and they want to have a drag race. Roll Dex + Driving.

Jenna, you arrive home, arms laden with groceries, to see another note taped to your door. This one written by a woman - flowery handwriting, and expensive paper. (I assume you'll put the groceries away before reading).
It says "Greetings to the new Slayer. Our mutual friend has told me about you, and I would like to invite you to my shop, The Other Place. Don't worry about the password, unless I'm not there. I'll know who you are. Do bring your new friends, and please come as soon as you can.
Sincerely, Gail."

Bastion, you spend the rest of the day checking around your contacts, and they all tell you of only two places with any magic - Stardust Creations, and The Other Place. All the other 'magic' shops are either unknown or fakes.
They're rather contemptuous of Stardust Creations, saying that it's open to everyone, run by a woman named Selena, and while there can be some surprising bargains, most of her so-called 'magical' goods are just tourist junk. Very much a case of 'Buyer beware' - it might work better, it might work worse, but it's probably not going to work at all.

The Other Place, however, is very reputable, and the quality is guaranteed, if you can get to the real stuff. On the surface, it's a simple little 'New Age' store, run by Terry, and selling little things to impress the tourists and wannabes. But, if a person with the right power says the right thing, Terry will call for his wife, Gail, who might show the potential customer to the real stuff, assuming she likes the person. There are rumours that she has the Sight, and that she can see lies as they are being said.

(By the way, there really is a shop called The Other Place in New Plymouth, but it's a shoe shop, run by a couple that I know.)

Yawielas
2007-09-06, 01:07 AM
Jenna finds the note where she wrote down Bastion and Harry's phone numbers, and call them to tell them about the shop, hoping this Gail might answer some of her questions. If she manages to get in contact with them, she asks them to meet her outside the The Other Place as soon as possible. Then she makes herself a sandwich, changes out of her school clothes, into a pair of jeans, a top and a leather jacket, before heading off to see this mysterious Gail.

Truwar
2007-09-06, 09:11 AM
After receiving Jenna’s call and assuring her that he will come along, Bastion sits and muses to himself for a bit. Well, this is either some weird kind of fate bringing us together or we are being very deftly manipulated. I am not sure which is worse…

Sighing Bastion puts on his jacket and heads for the door, going to The Other Place and hoping this was not some sort of trap.

Adlan
2007-09-06, 01:02 PM
((I'd have though the other plaice was a fishmongers :smallbiggrin: ))

Harry Revved the Engine, his bike was batterd, travel stained, and designed for endurance rather than speed. But he was pretty sure he could whoop some New zeeland punks.

((12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1245999)))

Prustan
2007-09-06, 11:18 PM
Harry, congratulations. You just got the first Drama point award :smallbiggrin:
One of your visions comes at one of the worst times possible. Just as the light turns green, your head explodes in pain, and you double over the handlebars of your bike. Amazingly, you don't overbalance, and you barely notice the punks jeering at you as they race off for an easy victory.
The vision is mercifully short, showing Jenna and Bastion meeting at a shop, with a sign 'The Other Place'. After a few more incomprehensible flashes, it shows them shaking hands with a woman festooned with strange ornaments, and carrying a stick marked like those blind people use.

Yawielas
2007-09-07, 01:03 AM
Jenna waits outside The Other Place for the others, and gives a little wave when Bastion appears. "Perhaps this woman can give us some answers." She looks in through the window of the shop, looking a little doubtful. "Unless she's a nutter..."

Adlan
2007-09-07, 12:05 PM
Harry

'Bollocks!'

'Right, Vision Crud. Naffing pile of tonk.' Harry thought, settling back in the leather of his bike seat.

'Visions mean Danger. But I know Bastion and Jenna Can't have gone to the other place, they've just met. So this must be...?

Harry revved the bike, and glanced at his paniers. checking his Escrima staff was still there.

'... something dangerous thats going to happen'

He cruised the streets again. looking for a little shop, called the other place.

((That was punishment for the bad joke wasn't it?))

Yawielas
2007-09-07, 12:12 PM
(I'll be away from saturday to sunday afternoon.)

Prustan
2007-09-07, 06:45 PM
(No, it wasn't punishment for a bad joke - which I didn't get anyway. I planned on giving that Drama point as soon as the race was set up :smallbiggrin: And visions don't always mean danger - Cordelia did have one vision which didn't mean immediate danger for the vision subject.)

Harry, you find The Other Place without any trouble, and Jenna and Bastion are already waiting there. They look a little surprised to see you though (no cellphone, and no answering machine at home).

(Any little conversations outside, or should I move it along?)

Yawielas
2007-09-10, 06:45 AM
(I'm ok with moving along:) )

Truwar
2007-09-10, 03:36 PM
((So am I))

So, should we head into this place then? I am thinking we are going to find some answers here... or a horrible death-trap. Bastion shrugs. These kind of things can go either way.

Yawielas
2007-09-10, 05:08 PM
"It's doesn't really look like a death trap..." Jenna opens the door after nodding a hello to Harry, then turns back to him. "How did you know where to find us? I couldn't reach you."

Prustan
2007-09-11, 06:20 AM
The shop looks like any other 'New Age' shop - crystals, fantasy posters, incense, candles, Goth figurines etc. Before Harry can answer, the door pops open, and a middle-aged, well-dressed man peers at you from behind thick glasses. "You must be the young people that my wife is waiting for. I'm Terry. Follow me out the back, and prepare for something that only the most trusted customers ever get to see."

He guides you past aisles of standard fare, to a curtained doorway, where he pauses. "Gail's waiting for you through here. Do remember, if you break it, you've bought it." And he bows, with an outstretched arm, inviting you to go.

Nothing could have prepared you for the sight that greets you through the curtain - a huge room, larger than a Warehouse store, with rows upon rows of weapons, books, gems, and strange materials everywhere. Looking quite pleased at your expressions of shock is a woman, festooned with all many of amulets and 'magical' items, who steps forward to shake your hands. "I'm so glad you could make it here. I'm Gail, and welcome to my 'little' secret. I'm sure you've all got questions, so ask away."

Yawielas
2007-09-11, 08:06 AM
Jenna closes her mouth, glances to the others, then speaks. "Yeah, I have some questions...Why did you stick a note to my door, and how did you know what I am? And what exactly am I?"

Truwar
2007-09-11, 09:02 AM
Bastion looks around in absolute amazement, probably more shocked than his companions because he has a better idea of what many of the items in the cavernous store are actually capable of. Cripes… it an Eldritch Wal-Mart… He mumbles under his breath before coming to his senses.

I suppose I have a couple of questions as well. Why did you bring me here? Jenna is the Slayer, at least that is my guess. And what is this? With that Bastion pulls the red gem from inside of his jacket and shows it to Gail.

Adlan
2007-09-12, 05:01 AM
Harry

Harry is intensely curious, and sniffs, touchs, smell various objects, turning what appears to be a paper weight around in his hands before setting it down on the side.

He is about to take a whiff from a large pot of black powder, when Gail stops him.

'Fancy sleeping for a thousand years?' She pressures his hand, and Harry again, gingerly puts it back where he found it.

'So all this stuff is real?' He looks around dubiously, but he puts his hands in his pockets, to prevent his curiosity.

Prustan
2007-09-12, 07:04 AM
(Just to give you an idea of character finances, after all normal expenses are paid, Harry has maybe $5 or 10 per week, Bastion has $250 - 300 per week, and Jenna has $1000 - 1200 per week. That money for Harry's gas tank was more than his total weekly pay. Now, to start answering the questions.)

"Yes Harry, all of my merchandise is real. I check each piece personally, and we have a 150% guarantee that everything will work as advertised. So be careful to read the labels before touching anything else. There are so rather dangerous items here. By the way, your body is hiding a secret, that has so far been kept from everyone - including yourself."

She thinks for a moment before continuing "Now, Jenna, I put that note on your door because we have a friend in common, and he suggested that I give the new Slayer a bit of help, something to mark the beginning of her new career. He also suggested that I have you invite your new friends. You're a Slayer, but I don't know much about exactly what that means. All I know about Slayers is that they are rare, only one in the world at one time, and that they are defenders of humanity. When he decides the time is right, our friend will tell you more. In the meantime, I have a room you can use for training..."

She turns to Bastion "Ah, you have a power crystal I see. Very useful they are, if used correctly. This one...is used to improve the strength of someone's muscles."
She suddenly turns to the shelves, and grabs a book and a couple of bags. "Here Bastion. My gift to you - 'Gem magic and You, and two full sets of crystals to get you started. Be very careful with choosing how many crystals you wish to channel at once though. the more you use, the more powerful the effect will be, but the more powerful the spell needs to be to safely use the power. You should have no problem with one or two, and, if you really push your limits, there is a chance you could use as many as thirteen or fourteen, but that would not be advisable."

She makes another snap decision, and grabs Harry and Jenna. "You two, come with me. I have something for you as well."

She drags you through the maze of shelves, chattering to herself about the merits of one item over another, before she stops in front of a great big line of weapons. She reaches in, and pulls out a stake, and an Escrima staff, handing the stake to Jenna and the staff to Harry. "My gifts to you. Both enchanted to never break - and believe me, I've tried - and both blessed to be more effective weapons. The stake was in fact used by a previous Slayer - I think she even named it. Now, let's go back, and I'll answer any other questions I can."

(I'll PM the relevant information later.)

Yawielas
2007-09-12, 08:12 AM
Jenna blinks. "Huh...Defender of humanity...so.....no pressure, then..." She follows Gail down the aisle, and looks curiously at the stake she's given. "Named it? I guess she didn't have too many friends, huh..." She puts the stake in her inner jacket pocket, and looks to Harry. When Gail heads back to where they left Bastion, she asks: "I'd really like to know who this common friend is. I get the feeling he's the one with all the answers."

Prustan
2007-09-13, 07:25 AM
Gail shakes her head "I'd love to tell you who he is, but he asked me not to. Feel free to look around if you want - just don't get lost, and be careful, not everything in here is unbreakable."

Adlan
2007-09-14, 02:38 AM
Harry Took the Staff. It felt like wood, and he bent it, tensing the staff carefully. It was sprung like wood. It certainly had the flexibility of a Escrima Staff

Harry kept bending it, and then it just stopped, it would bend no more. He flexed it backwards, and again, it bent no more.

He put his shoulders over it, and bent it with full force, quietly straining it bent, no more.

He laid one ende on the ground, and holding the other, tried to bend it with his foot. still, it bent no more.

He picked it up, sniffed it, scanned it. It looked just like an ordinary staff, but it would bend, no more.

Yawielas
2007-09-14, 03:34 AM
"Did he at least say when he'll get in touch again?" Jenna unconsciously reaches up a hand to feel the contours of the stake in her jacket pocket, feeling oddly safer having it. Suddenly remembering her manners, she adds: "By the way, thank you. For the stake, and for telling us at least a little more. I should have said so before, but I guess I'm still a little overwhelmed. Apparently I fought vampires last night...How sick is that..."

Prustan
2007-09-14, 06:44 AM
"Oh, no idea. He likes to keep his mysteries, but he's always there when needed, and when he's least expected. Oh, and Harry, I did tell you that it's enchanted to never break right? I tested that thing with an axe, a flamethrower, and a steel furnace, and nothing happened to it. Same with that stake."
She thinks for a bit, then continues, "Sorry about this, and I've no idea when you'll be able to sleep, but you should go out and patrol the streets now. You know all those stories in the papers, about the murders by gang members on PCP? About 90% of them were done by some supernatural beastie or demon, and you three are the only ones who can do something about it."

Yawielas
2007-09-14, 07:03 AM
Jenna blinks. "Patrol the streets? Like the police, you mean? And without sleep? I have school, you know..."

Truwar
2007-09-14, 08:57 AM
Bastion sighs inwardly. I had a nasty feeling of where this was going. Oh well, might as well make the best of it. So… Gail, can I use this crystal magic on others? For example, this red stone here. I do not have much use for mystical strength, but it sounds like my two weapon wielding friends there might, pretty soon in fact.

Prustan
2007-09-14, 05:26 PM
"Yep, sucks to be you now. See, your average murdering supernatural monster is most active during the night - at least until all the people have gone home. Around here, that means until about 2 or 3 in the morning. Since you're the only ones around that can do something, you need to be out patrolling, hopefully saving those who would otherwise be their victims. The only reason you weren't a victim yourself last night is that your Slayer powers activated."
She turns to Bastion, "Yes, you can use the magic on others. But, the ritual takes half an hour per crystal to work properly, you can only boost one person per casting, and the lucky person has to be within a carefully defined place the whole time. Not to mention that only the amount of crystals used right when the spell is cast will determine the effect. You only have a very limited number of these crystals. Use them wisely."

(As far as The Other Place is concerned, if you want to buy something, let me know what you want, and I'll work something out. Just remember how much money you have to spend every week, because too much overspending could reduce your Resources Quality, and this place is kind of expensive.)

Yawielas
2007-09-14, 05:37 PM
"2 or 3, are you serious?! I'm suddenly getting a vision of my grades plummeting..." Jenna looks around the store. "Do you have anything else that might help against these monsters? Garlic? Holy water? Sunshine in a bottle?"

Prustan
2007-09-15, 06:30 AM
"Could be worse. Up in Auckland they'd probably be out until sunrise. As for the other things...garlic doesn't really do too much, just makes them back off a little, and you can get it at any supermarket. Don't think anyone's come up with a way of bottling sunshine, but that would be effective. Crosses, more effective than garlic - can actually hurt them - don't have any here, but it would pay to get some from the Christian Bookshop just up the road. And holy water. I'll give each of you a bottle, but if you want more, there'll be a small charge."

Yawielas
2007-09-15, 12:11 PM
"I'll pay for it. We should probably stock up..." She looks a little lost at the other two. "This is quite a big change....in life, I mean." She gets her wallet out, ready to buy some more bottles of holy water.

Prustan
2007-09-15, 10:00 PM
"Sure. I can sell you another 10 bottles - $5 each, or $40 for the lot."
She looks at her watch, frowns, and brings it nearer to one of the shelves. "Hmm. You might want to hurry if you want those crosses. The shop's going to close in another 20 minutes."

Yawielas
2007-09-16, 08:09 AM
Jenna buys the 10 bottles, and thanks Gail. "Ok, we'll hurry then. Come on, boys." Picking up the bag with the clinking bottles, she heads for the door, to go to the christian bookstore.

Prustan
2007-09-16, 04:42 PM
(So, you have 13 bottles of Holy Water in total. May need to find someone who'll bless your water for free.)
The Christian bookshop is quite small, particularly in comparison to The Other Place, but is well laid out, and you find the crosses without any trouble. What size do you want - small necklace for $10, medium necklace for $15 or pocket sized (perfect for brandishing in your hand) for $25?

Yawielas
2007-09-17, 01:12 AM
Jenna buys two small necklaces for the boys, since she already has a silver cross necklace. Then she buys three pocket sized ones as well, handing Bastion and Harry one each. "Here...Perhaps we should get one for Craig as well....Just in case." With that thought, she buys one more necklace and pocket sized cross.

Truwar
2007-09-17, 11:32 AM
Bastion handles the cross a bit gingerly, raising his eyebrow at Jenna. You know, people of my… sort haven’t exactly had the best history with Christians. Oh, well, it might come in handy as a backup. Sighing, bastion shoves the cross into his pocket.

Yawielas
2007-09-17, 12:48 PM
Jenna looks at Bastion. "They're not for praying...I think they're more for the Van Helsing kind of thing."

Adlan
2007-09-17, 04:27 PM
Harry puts on the cross, it is a rather interesting one, a Faux Celtic cross, with slightly off cast knotwork and the iconic circle. He feels sheepish for wearing it, and embarassed that Jenna is paying, so before she can reach for her purse, he draws out the wad of notes for his bike repairs, and counts out the cost of his own cross. He is still embarassed about it, a man should pay, but maybe the shop owners will just think he was a wussy 'new man' into equality.

You know, I could always take over night shift, seeing as you have school in the morning, at least after a certain hour.

He murmers quietly to Jenna.

Prustan
2007-09-17, 04:38 PM
(Just normal crosses here Adlan. New Plymouth is too small for people to want crosses of different designs, plus this type of Christian bookshop wouldn't stock them anyway.)

Yawielas
2007-09-17, 05:00 PM
Jenna looks gratefully at Harry. "I can't imagine we have to stay up as late as Gail said. It's not like we're on the clock, or anything. Thank you for offering, though. If it gets really late some nights, though, maybe it's for a good reason, and maybe you shouldn't be alone...Not that you're not the experienced one in these things..."

Adlan
2007-09-18, 02:16 AM
'One insitdent on a boat and now I'm the supernatural SAS?' Harry Joked.

'We are none of us experianced at this, even Potter wannabe over there. I say we go back to the pub, find craig, and have a jam.

Prustan
2007-09-18, 06:10 AM
(Just so you know, current game time is about 4:45pm. You have about 1 - 1.5 hours before the sun sets enough to worry about patrolling for vamps.)

Truwar
2007-09-18, 08:57 AM
Bastion blanches at Harry's comparrison. Ugh! Don’t EVER use the P-word around me again. That is somewhat akin to me comparing you to the drummer from Hansen. And I think Jenna is right, none of us should ever patrol alone, EVER.

I have a bit of an idea of the things we are going to end up tangling with and it sure as heck won’t be a charmingly animated hat. If we make one mistake out there, we are going to end up short a fully intact throat, if we are lucky.

Yawielas
2007-09-18, 10:05 AM
Jenna's brow furrows in a worried frown. "Let's go find Craig, make sure he's allright. Those.....vampires....jumped us awful close to the pub last night. They might try again."

Prustan
2007-09-18, 04:29 PM
(All going to try find Craig? Okay.)

Back at the pub, you see Craig and Doug standing in a corner, talking quietly, but intently, completely unaware of your presence.
What will you do?

Yawielas
2007-09-18, 04:46 PM
Jenna waves as they enter and spot their bandmember and songwriter. "Hi, guys, how's it going?"

Prustan
2007-09-19, 05:47 AM
They quickly stop their conversation. "Oh, hey. What brings you all back here? Did we set up another practice session?"

Yawielas
2007-09-19, 05:55 AM
"Nah, I just come for the booze and the women." Jenna smiles, blushing a little when she looks at Craig.

Truwar
2007-09-20, 10:16 AM
Bastion rolls his eyes at Jenna. We were just coming to see when you wanted us to practice again. We were talking and realized that we all have pretty busy schedules and decided it might be a good idea to do some longer term planning. His paranoia ramped up a bit by the confrontation with the vampires, Bastion wonders what the two were talking about that they did not want overheard.

((Notice Check: [roll0] ))

Prustan
2007-09-21, 04:32 AM
Bastion - all you manage to catch before they're interrupted is something about a meeting tonight that they really don't want to be late to.

Craig kind of stares momentarily at Jenna until he gets the joke, and lets out a bit of a sheepish laugh. "Well, what time did you guys want to practice? Can't speak for Doug here, but I'm usually free all afternoon and on Saturdays. Evenings and nights aren't usually good though - writing songs and going out."

Yawielas
2007-09-21, 05:57 AM
"That leaves Saturdays, then, since I have school on week days. Saturdays and Sundays? Sound good?" Jenna looks from Craig to Doug, then to the others.

Prustan
2007-09-21, 04:44 PM
Craig and Doug look at each other, then at each of you, and nod. "Weekends are good for me."
"Me too," says Doug.