PDA

View Full Version : Guessing The Who and The What of Demigods

DeliaP
2015-09-06, 09:07 AM
OK. Starting a Demigod speculation thread. (gulp).

Now, I think the fight between Roy and Durkula is actually going to resolve how the vote goes, so the Demigods are going to turn out to be as redundant as they apparently usually are at a Godsmoot. But it occurs to me that we are going to see their priests nonetheless, because after the whole emotionally charged fight gets resolved, the story is going to use their sudden redundancy again as a comic relief moment.

I also think that the demigods involved are going to specifically be demigods of the Northern Pantheon.

But: we still have no idea who or what constitutes a Demigod?

If we're just restricting ourselves to semi-divine Norse legends who have not yet turned up, that doesn't leave much? (Bragi, Idun, Jormungandr, Ymir, Mimir have been mentioned in another place. Surtur is, AFAIK the only candidate being that has received in-comic reference).

Is the Elemental Earth a Demigod? If so, what would it take for other "causes" to acquire demigod status?

If that's allowed, while Banjo and Giggles are clearly puppets, not proper Gods, and probably not Northern Pantheon even if they were, would the very fact they have some worshippers make them demigods.....and if the demigods were only introduced as comic relief, perhaps the Orc Shaman will actually be present??:smallwink:

One thing I don't buy is Belkar, though.:smallyuk:

Any other speculative ideas for which demigods might be possible?

Mad Humanist
2015-09-06, 10:56 AM
May be Gary Gygax's high priest will walk into the godsmoot chamber in the next strip and inadvertantly distract Roy.

DataNinja
2015-09-06, 11:26 AM
May be Gary Gygax's high priest will walk into the godsmoot chamber in the next strip and inadvertantly distract Roy.

Gary Gygax's High Priest? You mean Odin? :smallbiggrin:

Kalmageddon
2015-09-06, 12:21 PM
I don't get why the demigods would ally themselves with Hel, honestly. When I read about it in the strip it sounded like a handwave of something that actually needed quite a bit of explaining.

hroşila
2015-09-06, 12:25 PM
I don't get why the demigods would ally themselves with Hel, honestly. When I read about it in the strip it sounded like a handwave of something that actually needed quite a bit of explaining.
The demigods don't need to ally themselves with Hel; they just need to be inclined to destroy the world now, like many of the other gods. Also, "the demigods" as a whole most likely hold different opinions, but only those who agree with Hel would bother showing up because Hel tipped them off.

Armitage
2015-09-06, 12:26 PM
I also think that the demigods involved are going to specifically be demigods of the Northern Pantheon.
I'd say that's pretty much a given.
Only the pantheon of the northern gods is present at this Godsmoot. The demigods of the other pantheons would be where the other pantheons are meeting.

Doctor_Cthulwho
2015-09-06, 11:57 PM
I'm going to predict that one of them will be Thor's offspring with the nameless fertility goddess.

There's a few other mythological beings - gods and whatnot - that are associated with Odin's pantheon that could show up represented as demigods like Mímir, Elli, Hoenir, Gefjun, Sigyn, Angrboğa, Vidar or Hermod. Angrboğa getting to be a demigod would be quite interesting.

One could also draw on the gods of the region that predated/evolved into/were outside Norse Mythology/the Viking Period.

Or The Giant could create his own - he doesn't need to stick to mythology on it. Ascended humans & dwarves, offspring from divine/mortal coupling, etc. It'd be neat if it was a combination of the 3.

Is the Elemental Earth a Demigod? If so, what would it take for other "causes" to acquire demigod status?

I'm guessing no. Going by the way Gontor was talking. It seems non-theistic religions, and whatever they are based around, are unrepresented in Godsmoot business. Demigods at least have a chance to vote in the event of a tie.

Though it would be amusing to see what Elemental Earth had to say about the discussion on destroying... Elemental Earth. If it could talk.

SoC175
2015-09-07, 06:15 AM
Though it would be amusing to see what Elemental Earth had to say about the discussion on destroying... Elemental Earth. If it could talk.
It's not about destroying elemental earth. The elemental plane if earth is an inner plane and untouched if the world in the prime Material plane is destroyed.

In fact the inner planes are even less dependant on the prime than the outer planes

dtilque
2015-09-07, 05:04 PM
There were only 18 gods who voted in the Godsmoot. The Wikipedia list (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Norse_mythological_figures) has 66 gods and goddesses in the Norse/Germanic pantheon. The wiki-list doesn't include Vafthrudnir (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vafthrudnir), who was a giant. So there are plenty of options to choose from for the demigods.

DeliaP
2015-09-07, 06:33 PM
There were only 18 gods who voted in the Godsmoot. The Wikipedia list (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Norse_mythological_figures) has 66 gods and goddesses in the Norse/Germanic pantheon. The wiki-list doesn't include Vafthrudnir (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vafthrudnir), who was a giant. So there are plenty of options to choose from for the demigods.

Yep, checked that page meself quite early. Didn't recognisee most of those names, and didn't get any understanding of what most of them represent.

So: which ones of those would you like to see represented amongst the demigods, and why?

Doctor_Cthulwho
2015-09-07, 07:39 PM
It's not about destroying elemental earth. The elemental plane if earth is an inner plane and untouched if the world in the prime Material plane is destroyed.

In fact the inner planes are even less dependant on the prime than the outer planes

Ah, thanks for the info. It didn't occur to me that it referred to the elemental plane of earth, that makes sense. I'd been thinking the Creed of the Stone was like RL Gaianism, only stonier.

And now that I know this I kind of want to see the non-theistic religion centered around the Semi-elemental plane of Ranch Dressing.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-08, 04:38 AM
And now that I know this I kind of want to see the non-theistic religion centered around the Semi-elemental plane of Ranch Dressing.

No, those don't worship the dressing itself, they have their blobby demi-god after all. :smallcool:

D.One
2015-09-08, 07:04 AM
OK. Starting a Demigod speculation thread. (gulp).

Now, I think the fight between Roy and Durkula is actually going to resolve how the vote goes, so the Demigods are going to turn out to be as redundant as they apparently usually are at a Godsmoot. But it occurs to me that we are going to see their priests nonetheless, because after the whole emotionally charged fight gets resolved, the story is going to use their sudden redundancy again as a comic relief moment.

Yeah, I totally expect some kind of "Oh, man, and I thought THIS time we would get to decide anything..." line...