PDA

View Full Version : Just watched Overlord...

Renen
2015-09-06, 11:00 AM
Short summary: Similar to Sword Art Online, where a character gets trapped in a video game (though it might actually not be a video game). Character is basically a D&D level 20 wizard in a e6 game, where some "heroes" sometimes get to maybe level 10.

The reactions of main character include:
(In reaction to what others refer to as "the strongest angel ever") "The unexpected weakness of the angels is disappointing"
(In reaction to a hero that is one of the strongest in the world) "I promise not to get serious", proceeds to grapple enemy to death.
(Main character's cohort's reaction to two dracoliches) "Resistance to slashing? Lemmy just lock my sword in the scabbard and bludgeon you to pieces"

Red Fel
2015-09-06, 11:12 AM
Yes, but was it any good?

I'm, uh, asking for a friend. Who is Evil. And an Overlord. And his name is, uh, Fred El. Yeah. Fred's good people. Yup.

Seclora
2015-09-06, 11:18 AM
I too would like to inquire as to whether or not this was any good and where one might find it.

Not for a friend mind you, my friends wouldn't know good Overlording if it shot their messengers.

Renen
2015-09-06, 11:27 AM
It's... Actually quite good. As some people say it's what SoA should have been.
It doesn't have a random love story inserted in the middle (like, it does have the obligatory demon girl in love with the main character, but he is a Lich and its hinted that his personality got changed somewhat when he became trapped in the game, so he has no problems killing people, and his sex drive is lower than that of a human.)
He is technically lawful evil level 20 lich that found himself in a new world where everyone is much lower level, and decided to be super important.

thethird
2015-09-06, 11:30 AM
Funny, I was reading it just now. I like how the dude has been collecting random weird items for a very long time.

Renen
2015-09-06, 12:33 PM
He really hasn't. It's just that in MMOs u get random shut from various quests...

MorgromTheOrc
2015-09-06, 01:16 PM
I'm all caught up on the anime, it's amazing. I was actually going to start my own thread but this one will do :smalltongue:

I love how through a lot of it he uses his max level wizard stats to pretend to be a mid level fighter. Also I greatly enjoy that all their melees actually seem to be tome of battle classes in typical mmo style. But it definitely has a strong d&d theme with the 9 spells levels.

Renen
2015-09-06, 01:29 PM
And the best part is that a mid level fighter is still better than most stuff they have there. Some people dislike stories with OP characters, but I actually really like seeing the main character beat on everything. It's great!

Ganorenas
2015-09-06, 06:32 PM
Excellent anime, definitely feels like the mmo he played was a mix of D&D and basic mmo stuff (I felt a bit of a Wow vibe, but that could just be me).

Would be interesting to have a bunch of players play as level 20 characters in an e6 world, so how much junk they get into.

Red Fel
2015-09-06, 08:23 PM
Yeah, definitely feeling the TTRPG love in addition to the MMO love.

Twin Maximize Spell? Ranking magic in terms of 9 levels? Actually referring to him as a Lich? Having bludgeoning weapons overcome skeletal DR?

I'm officially a fan.

Plot moves a bit slowly, but the characterization is quality. I'm going to keep an eye on this.

Renen
2015-09-06, 10:42 PM
Yeh I came across it by accident, but I loooooove it.
Though it still isnt as cool at at-will mindrape.
♥ Code Geass ♥

P.S. I like how they handle killing off characters. You are given some background about them to know they arent just some random nobodies, but they arent the main characters, and you dont REALLY mind their death. Similar stuff in books works really well too, where deaths of characters are a thing, but you never actually have one of the main main characters die (I mean you know how some stories only have maybe like 3-4 ACTUALLY main characters?)

Draconium
2015-09-06, 11:28 PM
... Based off of what I'm seeing here, I really need to check this out. It sounds right up my alley.

Crake
2015-09-06, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I remember telling my friend that it had a really DND-esque feel for it since early on, based on the sorts of spells the main character was casting, though at the time he somewhat disagreed. We both agreed that the martial arts things were basically tome of battle though., but when the maid used twin maximise magic, we both basically agreed, yup, this is DnD: the anime.

Renen
2015-09-06, 11:55 PM
In the beginning he did a spell to ward from projectiles and to ward from the living, thinking the area was now safe. But it wouldn't stop someone with a really long spear from poking into a the small area he set up. Bad thinking.

P. S who is in love with the ending theme for the anime?

TheifofZ
2015-09-07, 12:42 AM
Honestly, I've been loving the series since my friend introduced me to it on the 4th episode.
The reason the plot moves slowly, though, is because it's following other media, which also move slowly.

Still an awesome series, and I do love how it pays homage to so much of D&D. There aren't many like it, and the characterization is grand.

Inevitability
2015-09-07, 11:24 AM
Some more possible D&D influences: Cocytus (http://s1.zerochan.net/Cocytus.%28Overlord%29.600.1893349.jpg) is an evil blueish insectoid creature with the ability to control ice. Hm, doesn't that sound familiar (http://i.imgur.com/n1gMi.jpg)?

Norin
2015-09-07, 02:43 PM
Any suggestions as to where someone with bad google-fu can watch this series? Sounds like good fun. :)

Rubik
2015-09-07, 03:01 PM
Any suggestions as to where someone with bad google-fu can watch this series? Sounds like good fun. :)A few episodes are up on Youtube.

[edit] Scratch that. All of them are on Youtube.

Red Fel
2015-09-07, 04:01 PM
A few episodes are up on Youtube.

[edit] Scratch that. All of them are on Youtube.

And Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/overlord). And Funimation's site (http://www.funimation.com/shows/overlord/videos).

Sagetim
2015-09-07, 05:01 PM
Yeah, definitely feeling the TTRPG love in addition to the MMO love.

Twin Maximize Spell? Ranking magic in terms of 9 levels? Actually referring to him as a Lich? Having bludgeoning weapons overcome skeletal DR?

I'm officially a fan.

Plot moves a bit slowly, but the characterization is quality. I'm going to keep an eye on this.

And it apparently started as a light novel series...that's been fan translated. Looks like I have some reading to do. *puts on glasses, cues opening to CSI: Miami*

I do hope to see him break out the rod of resurrection that he mentioned having earlier. If only because that was a good adventuring party and, well, you don't get those very often. You have to encourage those when you see them and make sure they grow and blossom. Nurture them, that is.

And he doesn't have some unusual amount of stuff, I mean..hell, when I played world of warcraft the only thing that stopped me from compulsively hoarding every crafting mat that I came across was a limit on my inventory space. As the guild leader, he would have had the full guild vaults to stuff things into and as mentioned at the start, no one was logging in for a while. Which means whatever they left in the guild vaults, plus whatever he stuffed in there while he was grinding to pay for upkeep or what have you...he'd have a lot of stuff there. Especially since his guild mates seemed like the kind of players who, if they knew they weren't coming back to the game (at least not for a long time, if ever) would do what I do when I abandon an MMO: give all my hoarded crafting mats/stuff out to people and or dump it into the sharing vault for the guild. So he probably has a Lot of stuff at the tip of his hands. I know if I was in his situation I'd have crafted a bunch of magic items just to hoard them, and given the freedom of the Yggdrasil game...he can probably still craft a wide variety of items even without his context menu's. Hell, if I could make npcs I would make some crafters to get things done for me while I gather mats...and npcs to gather mats so that I could just do what I want while my npcs continue pumping out whatever.

mostholycerebus
2015-09-08, 09:51 AM
Just watched the first two for free 'preview' on Funimation. Tried youtube, but the screen was stretched and the sound was off. Plot is extremely slooooowww, but alrite. The 12 commercials per episode didnt help. Gonna keep on with it, but if the plot doesnt pick up, not worth the time.

Rubik
2015-09-08, 09:54 AM
Just watched the first two for free 'preview' on Funimation. Tried youtube, but the screen was stretched and the sound was off. Plot is extremely slooooowww, but alrite. The 12 commercials per episode didn't help. Gonna keep on with it, but if the plot doesn't pick up, not worth the time.Yeah, it does seem rather slothy; it could definitely use a bit of a kick in the trousers.

But if you don't want commercials on Youtube, use Adblock Plus on your browser (Firefox or Chrome; I don't know if it's available for others), and you won't have to worry about them again.

Nyaa
2015-09-08, 10:18 AM
Watching anime on Youtube

There is a site that starts with "nyaa" and ends with "se". There's a dot inbetween.

Sacrieur
2015-09-08, 10:22 AM
10/10.

What Log Horizon could have been if it didn't commit seppuku.

Renen
2015-09-08, 10:26 AM
Kinda stopped with Log Horison after a bit, how'd it continue? Really that bad?

Sacrieur
2015-09-08, 12:09 PM

Every episode was exponentially worst than the last. I tried to continue but eventually dropped it.

Xerlith
2015-09-08, 12:10 PM

No, it just... Made everyone kinda stop after a bit. It got boring.

DeltaEmil
2015-09-08, 12:21 PM
@Renen: Depends on where you stopped with Log Horizon.

@Sagetim:

I do hope to see him break out the rod of resurrection that he mentioned having earlier. If only because that was a good adventuring party and, well, you don't get those very often. You have to encourage those when you see them and make sure they grow and blossom. Nurture them, that is.
Those adventurers stay dead for the rest of the series.

And he doesn't have some unusual amount of stuff, I mean..hell, when I played world of warcraft the only thing that stopped me from compulsively hoarding every crafting mat that I came across was a limit on my inventory space. As the guild leader, he would have had the full guild vaults to stuff things into and as mentioned at the start, no one was logging in for a while. Which means whatever they left in the guild vaults, plus whatever he stuffed in there while he was grinding to pay for upkeep or what have you...he'd have a lot of stuff there. Especially since his guild mates seemed like the kind of players who, if they knew they weren't coming back to the game (at least not for a long time, if ever) would do what I do when I abandon an MMO: give all my hoarded crafting mats/stuff out to people and or dump it into the sharing vault for the guild. So he probably has a Lot of stuff at the tip of his hands. I know if I was in his situation I'd have crafted a bunch of magic items just to hoard them, and given the freedom of the Yggdrasil game...he can probably still craft a wide variety of items even without his context menu's. Hell, if I could make npcs I would make some crafters to get things done for me while I gather mats...and npcs to gather mats so that I could just do what I want while my npcs continue pumping out whatever.When Momonga was still playing Yggdrasil, the NPCs had not enough autonomous commands to do all that stuff themselves (even although the story does take place in the 22nd century). And they would have probably been ganked anyway for being associated with the Ainz Ool Gown guild, infamous for having a Tomb of Horror-style killer megadungeon. Dying in that game meant losing levels AND losing items. Sending them out without supervision by a player only means losing money and items constantly. If they could have been sent to do such autonomous tasks at all, that is. Momonga himself was busy just grinding money daily to pay the upkeep costs for the Tomb of Nazarick and its myriads of features in the hopes that some former players would come back. He had practically no time to really still play the game.

Now that he was transported into the magical fantasy world, he does have lots of items of superb quality (even although they were merchant trash back then), simply from the fact that it's all for level 100 people.

MorgromTheOrc
2015-09-08, 05:24 PM
@Renen: Depends on where you stopped with Log Horizon.

@Sagetim:

Those adventurers stay dead for the rest of the series.

When Momonga was still playing Yggdrasil, the NPCs had not enough autonomous commands to do all that stuff themselves (even although the story does take place in the 22nd century). And they would have probably been ganked anyway for being associated with the Ainz Ool Gown guild, infamous for having a Tomb of Horror-style killer megadungeon. Dying in that game meant losing levels AND losing items. Sending them out without supervision by a player only means losing money and items constantly. If they could have been sent to do such autonomous tasks at all, that is. Momonga himself was busy just grinding money daily to pay the upkeep costs for the Tomb of Nazarick and its myriads of features in the hopes that some former players would come back. He had practically no time to really still play the game.

Now that he was transported into the magical fantasy world, he does have lots of items of superb quality (even although they were merchant trash back then), simply from the fact that it's all for level 100 people.

From his reactions I believe they probably could do almost any number of actions that require movement and skills, probably anything you do within the mechanics of d&d, but it was more that they listened to his actual words and responded as if they understood everything he said(which an AI likely would not) instead of just carrying out specific commands he actually programmed into them.

All in all this anime has given me the drive to create a d&d computer game where you can actually do everything you can in d&d through programmed skills mechanics and a voxel style world for unlimited adventure.

Draconium
2015-09-08, 06:04 PM
Okay, I'm all caught up on the anime now, and I agree with the general consensus: a bit slow, but still pretty good. And I'm definitely feeling the D&D love in it! Though watching Shalltear is sad, because it makes me wish the vampire template was actually worth playing... and also that it gave you a bite attack, but that's an unrelated grievance.