PDA

View Full Version : IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF)

DarkOne-Rob
2015-09-06, 01:47 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DOGdbcvTBcc/R9i7AiUQ_9I/AAAAAAAAASk/y0-FD8NRqDs/s400/Blackwall%2BKeep.jpg
(Don't worry, this scene is a little bit later.)

The morning dawns bright and sunny, and the party meets Allustan at his home ready for the day's travel. They leave and begin walking along the shores of the lake for which Diamond Lake was named, though it looks nothing like the gem. The pollutants of the mines, smelting, and other activities of the area have utterly ruined much of the water, and even on a beautiful day like this one it is not a pretty sight.

Walking along the path one can expect a variety of other travelers, but no one crosses the party's way all morning.

For an older man, Allustan sets a steady pace and the party is past the borders of the lake by lunch. Afterwards they begin walking again and the scenery changes to a mix of lowlands and farms, with the aptly named Mistmarsh becoming visible in late afternoon. Sometime afterwards the party sees a small group of halfling farmers dutifully wheeling their cart towards Diamond Lake. When Allustan asks if they have anything for sale they decline, saying they have a long way to go and prefer not to sell on the road.

As the little people make their way past the party can see that the produce is not of high quality. It appears to have been plagued with pests, with the tubers, bulbs, and roots appearing to have taken the brunt of the infestations. Looking closely at the farmers, their clothing appears somewhat ragged too, as if it has been a particularly difficult year.

The party finally makes it to the roadside home Allustan mentioned the previous night. The single-story farmhouse lies around fields that have lain fallow for some time, though the house seems to be in decent shape. A well stands behind the house with a rope and bucket, and inside the place is largely clean and dry. "Well, I am tired. Shall we go inside?" Allustan asks as he begins to do so.

This is an opportunity to either get to know Allustan better or get some clues as to how pervasive the subtle influences of the approaching Age of Worms are. Feel free to ask Allustan questions, discuss the halfling farmers, explore the fields, etc...Every paragraph above is intended to be a potential conversation starter/topic. Respond to whatever moves you.

Untarr
2015-09-10, 04:40 PM
Caelmah stretches her legs throughout the day, running ahead and behind the party, but never out of sight. "Just feels good to be movin' around again, yeah?" she says in between her runs.

As the party approaches the house, she seems sweaty and slightly tired. However, the grin on her face could not be bigger. Pulling a water skin out, she drinks her fill before capping it putting it away.

Following Allustan inside, she puts her things down in the corner nearest the door before looking around the whole place. As she does, she calls out to Allustan.

"So, what's the deal with those 'alflings? Don't think they'll get very much peddling those wares, yeah? Looked like a troll had beat them to hell an' back as well."

Farmerbink
2015-09-10, 06:36 PM
Frederick frowns. "Indeed. I think I recognized the man, Charlie. Did you, Allustan? I have never seen his wares that bad, though it has been some time since I was in Diamond Lake for the harvests. They must have been pretty nervous just being out to not sell on the road. Coin is coin, after all..." He fades into an uneasy silence as he brushes Leeroy and the others move inside.

A few minutes later, after ensuring that his horse won't be too uncomfortable- "Sorry, buddy. I have to leave that on you tonight. It'll come off tomorrow, I promise."- he follows them into the building.

MuffinMan
2015-09-10, 11:19 PM
As the little people make their way past the party can see that the produce is not of high quality. It appears to have been plagued with pests, with the tubers, bulbs, and roots appearing to have taken the brunt of the infestations. Looking closely at the farmers, their clothing appears somewhat ragged too, as if it has been a particularly difficult year.

"Oh no, tha won do at'all!" Dalin exclaims in dismay at the sight of the farmer's poor haul. "Allow me!" Walking up to the gnomes' cart, the party sees him cast a spell (Purify Food and Drink (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/purifyFoodAndDrink.html#purify-food-and-drink)) that causes the worst of the rot and pestilence to subside, leaving behind healthy, if still somewhat dirty, produce. "Ah, tha's better!" Dalin exclaims with a satisfied nod. "Off with ye now, an blessins of tha All-Father (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Moradin) an tha Revered Mother (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Berronar_Truesilver) go with ya!"

The party finally makes it to the roadside home Allustan mentioned the previous night. The single-story farmhouse lies around fields that have lain fallow for some time, though the house seems to be in decent shape. A well stands behind the house with a rope and bucket, and inside the place is largely clean and dry. "Well, I am tired. Shall we go inside?" Allustan asks as he begins to do so.

"Aye, it's gettin late and this spot's as good as any, an better'n most!" Dalin agrees. As the group follows Allustan into the structure he stops to retrieve the bucket from the side of the well, though he disdains the nearby rope in favor of calling upon the spirits of water to fill the bucket as he goes inside (Create Water (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/createWater.html#create-water)).

Frederick frowns. "Indeed. I think I recognized the man, Charlie. Did you, Allustan? I have never seen his wares that bad, though it has been some time since I was in Diamond Lake for the harvests. They must have been pretty nervous just being out to not sell on the road. Coin is coin, after all..." He fades into an uneasy silence as he brushes Leeroy and the others move inside.

"Aye, though I hope tha Mother's blessin'll help em make it ta market, at least." Dalin adds. After a moment of thinking, he turns to Allustan, "What's more surprisin ta meet is that they were the only folks we saw today at all! By tha look o this road, it was built expectin much more traffic - whaddaya think, Allustan? You've come this way before, is it always so lonely?" He shares the water around with the group as they talk, while Berragi occupies himself with sniffing out every fascinating detail about the dwelling's previous inhabitants.

JWallyR
2015-09-12, 08:52 AM
"Oh no, tha won do at'all!" Dalin exclaims in dismay at the sight of the farmer's poor haul. "Allow me!" Walking up to the gnomes' cart, the party sees him cast a spell (Purify Food and Drink (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/purifyFoodAndDrink.html#purify-food-and-drink)) that causes the worst of the rot and pestilence to subside, leaving behind healthy, if still somewhat dirty, produce. "Ah, tha's better!" Dalin exclaims with a satisfied nod. "Off with ye now, an blessins of tha All-Father (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Moradin) an tha Revered Mother (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Berronar_Truesilver) go with ya!"

Jan is roused from her uncharacteristic quiet by the dwarf's animated response to the halflings, and she manages an approving smile towards the blessing bestowed on the worst of the produce before returning to her ponderings.

"Aye, though I hope tha Mother's blessin'll help em make it ta market, at least." Dalin adds. After a moment of thinking, he turns to Allustan, "What's more surprisin ta meet is that they were the only folks we saw today at all! By tha look o this road, it was built expectin much more traffic - whaddaya think, Allustan? You've come this way before, is it always so lonely?" He shares the water around with the group as they talk, while Berragi occupies himself with sniffing out every fascinating detail about the dwelling's previous inhabitants.

"Is it that unusual? I mean, this is the furthest I've been from home. Mother doesn't... 'didn't'? get out much, aside from wandering out of the garden every now and then." The gnome pipes up from her position just behind Berragi in his exploration of the empty building.

Albinobrow
2015-09-12, 10:20 PM
Dr. Olofire is quiet the whole way over, staying a few paces behind Allusten, still ashamed at the way he acted. As they approach the house he slips out the door to take a look around the grounds. Eventually he settles down on the porch and opens his formula book, scowling at several of the entries he put in before they went underground.

[roll0] looking around the place.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-09-13, 02:31 PM
Walking up to the gnomes' cart, the party sees him cast a spell (Purify Food and Drink (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/purifyFoodAndDrink.html#purify-food-and-drink)) that causes the worst of the rot and pestilence to subside, leaving behind healthy, if still somewhat dirty, produce.
Though there is some improvement, it does not appear that the spell has its full, usual effect. The halflings appear to be grateful, but remain reserved and cautious, some looking at the use of magic with clear suspicion. The lead farmer does thank the dwarf before saying, "The folks at the lodge weren't able to help much either - they said something was wrong with the land. Supposedly there are folks looking into the issues, but it has been a rough year. Now, if you'll excuse us, we must be on our way..."

"So, what's the deal with those 'alflings? Don't think they'll get very much peddling those wares, yeah? Looked like a troll had beat them to hell an' back as well."

"I have never seen his wares that bad, though it has been some time since I was in Diamond Lake for the harvests. They must have been pretty nervous just being out to not sell on the road."
Allustan shakes his head. "I have not seen such poor produce in some time. Usually the fruit and vegetables from the southern farms are quite lush - the rich soil and plentiful water from the wetlands seem to make the farms particularly plentiful," he says, remembering the scene with apparent sadness. "They did not appear to be particularly wormy food, but the inability of Dalin's spell to entirely clear up the poor showing is unusual. Such an orison is not particularly powerful and could surely be overpowered, but generally spells must be overpowered by other, magical, effects. The very idea that someone would plague poor farmers with magic is bizarre and difficult to believe."

"What's more surprisin ta meet is that they were the only folks we saw today at all! By tha look o this road, it was built expectin much more traffic - whaddaya think, Allustan? You've come this way before, is it always so lonely?"

"Is it that unusual? I mean, this is the furthest I've been from home. Mother doesn't... 'didn't'? get out much, aside from wandering out of the garden every now and then."
"It is that time of year. Yes, I did expect more traffic along the road. We haven't seen any obvious signs of threats, but I am glad to have all of you with me, just in case. Shall we set watches for the evening? I will use some magic to aid us and then take the first watch if someone will join me. Having two stand each watch will be safest, and we can take our time in the morning - we are only about six hours away from the fort from here," he replies as he stands and begins casting the same spell several times around the building. If asked he explains that the spell, commonly called, "alarm," should help to warn the party should someone else approach. An audible bell sound should ring, and anyone awake should hear it easily.

Once that is done he looks at the party and asks, "So, who will stay up with an old man? If they like I will try to make it entertaining with some stories - I know many. Stories are something more than a hobby of mine. I have special training from an organization that specializes in the collection and preservation of oral histories of various cultures. While only an initiate of the order, I have quite the collection back in Diamond Lake, and it would be good for me to have an audience to practice reciting them." His offer is made somewhat bashfully, as if he is both hopeful and doubtful that anyone will particularly enjoy his efforts. The hope on his face is apparent to all.

Farmerbink
2015-09-13, 07:24 PM
Frederick smiles and visibly relaxes a bit. "Help me remove my armor, and I will be glad to, Master Allustan. I think it might do us all a bit of good to hear of happier times, if such tales are worth the efforts of your organization to preserve. I suppose they are less valuable, from the perspective of lessons, but certainly serve other purposes, in darker times."

He takes his time (with help) getting his armor off, and spends a few minutes stretching in the yard to loosen knotted muscles before settling down to the night's first watch with Allustan.

MuffinMan
2015-09-13, 10:36 PM
"They did not appear to be particularly wormy food, but the inability of Dalin's spell to entirely clear up the poor showing is unusual. Such an orison is not particularly powerful and could surely be overpowered, but generally spells must be overpowered by other, magical, effects. The very idea that someone would plague poor farmers with magic is bizarre and difficult to believe."

Dalin nods and frowns worriedly, but keeps his silence as he sets about preparing his bedroll and supplies for the evening.

Frederick smiles and visibly relaxes a bit. "Help me remove my armor, and I will be glad to, Master Allustan. I think it might do us all a bit of good to hear of happier times, if such tales are worth the efforts of your organization to preserve. I suppose they are less valuable, from the perspective of lessons, but certainly serve other purposes, in darker times."

"Here, lad, let me help ya - that great plate o yours looks like it weighs more than master Allustan himself!" After helping Frederick remove his armor, and receiving help removing his own in turn, he checks on Berragi before bidding goodnight to the others and settling into his bedroll to sleep.

Untarr
2015-09-14, 02:33 PM
"OOOOooooo, I love a good story. Even though its not my watch, I may stay up anyways. Hard to sleep with interesting going on. Suppose I might as well take second watch, I'll be up for it!" Caelmah exclaims. She pulls up her bedroll near to Allustan. Getting in, she lies on her stomach with her elbows under her head, propping it up. Clearly , she is intent on listening to the old man's tale.

JWallyR
2015-09-14, 10:16 PM
At the discussion of a watch Jan makes a face. "Well, wake me up whenever it's my turn. A girl needs her beauty sleep."

Albinobrow
2015-09-15, 07:17 PM
I think I too will hit the hay for now. I'm happy to take the final watch.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-09-16, 01:43 PM
Looking a bit surprised at the reactions of the party, Allustan takes his seat and spends several long moments thinking. "Perhaps you would enjoy some history of the Wind Dukes, since you have explored the tomb of one of their powerful servants already. The story is long, and begins at the beginning of time itself..." Allustan begins, casting a spell to illustrate the story as he tells it, and doing a passable job at telling the drama and impact of the creation of Oerth, ending with the climactic Battle of Pesh and the beginning of the modern age.

You can read about this here (http://canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Age_Before_Ages). I don't feel bad linking this, as it has a thorough bibliography of supporting material for the Greyhawk setting going all the way back to the 1980s. Enjoy as you will - there are no real spoilers on this material, as Allustan could easily spend his four hour watch covering the material in detail.

Feel free to have your PC get bored with the story or be engrossed, based on their interest in such history.
When the four hours are over, Allustan gently wakes Jan to stand watch in his place.

Farmerbink
2015-09-16, 08:50 PM
Frederick follows along patiently until his allies begin to doze, if they do. When the sun well-and-truly sets, he interrupts briefly, "I know you said you... uh.. warded the area? Do we need to be watching, particularly, or will we have time to prepare ourselves after your warning?"

Once the wizard answers, he either returns his attention to the history of their first foe, or excuses himself to man a true watch, as the answer warrants.

Untarr
2015-09-17, 05:34 AM
With a giggle, "heheheh that was a cool story. That battle of Pesh sounds exciting. Like, if everything had gone the other way, how different would we all be right now? Silly to think about how one moment millions of years ago could have such a huge impact today."

Flipping onto her back with a thump, Caelmah buries herself into her sleeping bag, her head under the cover. Almost immediately, you hear a light snoring.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-09-17, 10:22 AM
Allustan answers, "The magic will create an audible bell sound if anything enters its area of influence. I find I can act more readily when already awake than when waking, but I am content to remain here and continue the story if you are."

Once Jan is awake and watching, he explains the spell effects to her and excuses himself to rest with a satisfied smile on his face.

JWallyR
2015-09-17, 01:29 PM
With a modestly appreciative nod at Allustan's description of the alarm spell, Jan lets out a sigh of resignation. "Well, I s'pose I've got it from here. See you in the mornin'!" She smiles sweetly at the older man and sits, leaning against a wall. After a few minutes, she begins to amuse herself by magically lifting, twirling and otherwise manipulating small, unattended objects in the room.

Perception, in case it matters? [roll0]

Untarr
2015-09-18, 04:49 AM
Caelmah reacts with a grunt when someone tries to wake her for her watch. Pushing her head slowly out of the bedroll, at first all you see are eyes looking at you with daggers in them.

Then, with an almost imperceptible nod and without a word, Caelmah pulls herself out of the bag, sits up, and begins her watch.

[roll0] Perception

First Watch (story time) - Allustan/Frederick
Second Watch - Jan/Doc
Third Watch - Dalin/Caelmah

Albinobrow
2015-09-18, 09:24 AM
As Jan twirls about on their watch, Dr. Olofire reads his formula book again. He mumbles to himself. Why doesn't this make sense anymore? I wrote this myself...

[roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2015-09-18, 02:52 PM
The night passes uneventfully, with sunrise being blocked by cloud cover and a heavy fog covering the ground. As they wake, the party finds the air is heavy and muggy, threatening to make the day's walk very draining. No one heard any alarms go off during the night, but when Frederick goes out to check on the cart and his horse he is greeted to an unusual and discomforting sight.

Leroy and the party's gear are fine, but it does look as if the horse had a less than pleasant night. All around on the packed earth are the remains a hundreds, if not thousands, of worms. Crushed by the horse's hooves, the entire perimeter around the animal is a mess of the segmented, green bodies. They seem to have avoided the cart entirely, and none of the party members were disturbed by such a revolting interruption in the night, but something about the horse clearly attracted them to it.

As Frederick greets his quadruped friend, he gets the distinct impression that Leroy is glad that the other is there, nuzzling its master's face enthusiastically. It doesn't appear any worse for wear, though the horse may not be able to keep up the brisk pace it did yesterday. That, the dampness of the road, and their goal (a swamp) suggest the day's travels may be slower than planned.

Albinobrow
2015-09-18, 05:48 PM
Dr. Olofire wakes up again, and immediately opens his formula book to prepare his extracts for the day. Still unable to make sense of the last several pages, he approaches Allustan. Um, Allustan? I don't understand why but I can't make sense of these formulas here. It's my handwriting, I know I wrote them, but for some reason it's all just nonsense to me now. Do you have any idea as to why that is? He holds up his formula book for Allustan to see, hiding his own face, still not brave enough to look him in the eyes.

Untarr
2015-09-18, 08:08 PM
The party wakes to find Caelmah diligently going through a series of exercises that involve holding various poses for extended periods of time. Each pose seems to push her flexibility and strength, and she is sweating by the end. The truly odd part is that she does the whole thing while staring at what looks like a spellbook.

After finishing, she uses some water to splash off her face before rolling up her bag and nibbling on some dried jerky she had in her pack.

All around on the packed earth are the remains a hundreds, if not thousands, of worms. Crushed by the horse's hooves, the entire perimeter around the animal is a mess of the segmented, green bodies. They seem to have avoided the cart entirely, and none of the party members were disturbed by such a revolting interruption in the night, but something about the horse clearly attracted them to it.

"So either the horse was the target, or the cart repelled them. Odd. Has to be connected to those halfling vegetables we saw yesterday. 'Something is wrong with the land'. Something is! Filled with green worms that attack anything that we would use for food."

Knowledge Check for more information about why the horse might be a target

[roll0]
+10 (Arcana/Religion)
+9 (Nature)

MuffinMan
2015-09-19, 12:47 AM
As dawn breaks and the party begins to stir, Dalin relieves himself from watch duty and goes to a far corner of the farmhouse, where he kneels and bows his head for an extended period of time, praying to some power or powers for safe travels this day.

"So either the horse was the target, or the cart repelled them. Odd. Has to be connected to those halfling vegetables we saw yesterday. 'Something is wrong with the land'. Something is! Filled with green worms that attack anything that we would use for food."

Dalin stops short, and Berragi bristles and growls at the hundreds of crushed worm corpses. "By th'gods an tha spirits alike..." he exclaims softly. "Ne'er have I seen anythin like it, except in tha vision..." He shudders and steps on the closest worm again, for good measure. "How's your horse, lad?" he asks Frederick. "He seems a might spooked but otherwise no worse for wear... might want ta check his feet, though. An its a good thing they weren't any bigger. What do ya make of it, Allustan?" He shrugs and adjusts his armor uncomfortably, as the warmth and humidity of the day set him to sweating and promise a grueling day of travel ahead.

Farmerbink
2015-09-19, 11:23 AM
Frederick rushes to Leroy when he sees the crushed worms. He takes quite some time inspecting his hooves and flanks, dreading something. Eventually, satisfied that Leroy is fine, but didn't rest much, he feeds the horse and worriedly checks the cart. Unable to make any real sense of it, he too turns to Allustan to hopefully provide some illumination to the scene.

JWallyR
2015-09-19, 08:12 PM
Um, Allustan? I don't understand why but I can't make sense of these formulas here. It's my handwriting, I know I wrote them, but for some reason it's all just nonsense to me now. Do you have any idea as to why that is? He holds up his formula book for Allustan to see, hiding his own face, still not brave enough to look him in the eyes.

Jan, after waking up and rubbing the sleepiness out of her eyes, pads over to where Allustan observes the spellbook. "Well," she says, "It looked like nonsense to me in the first place. Maybe your eyes are just getting better." Winking impishly at the doctor, she turns to follow Frederick out to where the grisly scene surrounding the fatigued but otherwise apparently unharmed beast. "Oh, gosh. Is he ok??"

DarkOne-Rob
2015-09-20, 07:55 AM
Do you have any idea as to why that is?[/COLOR]
Allustan looks at the alchemist's formula book for a moment and shakes his head. "I am not an expert in alchemical processes, nor in the format of your notes. However, after traumatic events it is not uncommon for people to have memory lapses that can last for some time. It may prove valuable to speak with someone - outside the party here - about what you have seen and done. A religious counselor is often one of the best choices, in my experience," he replies compassionately. The man shows no sign of being upset with the halfling.

"What do ya make of it, Allustan?"

"Oh, gosh. Is he ok??"
Allustan looks shocked as well and simply shakes his head in amazement. "I have never seen anything like this. Clearly our efforts are still needed..." he murmurs before shivering violently for a moment.

Leroy looks to be alright and capable of traveling throughout the day. Unless anyone wishes to look around further, the party can leave at any time.

Untarr
2015-09-20, 08:07 AM
"I don't like the feel of this place anymore. Let's get out of here."

Pulling out her bow, she heads down the road a bit to wait for the others before continuing. Unlike the previous day, she stays close to the group the rest of the journey. Her bow never leaves her hand.

MuffinMan
2015-09-20, 10:48 AM
"Aye, truly said!" Dalin concurs. Using his spear as a walking stick, he stays next to the cart and Allustan for the journey, even his own substantial constitution tested by the sweltering conditions.

Albinobrow
2015-09-21, 09:39 PM
Dr. Olofire finishes repacking his bag and arranging his extracts for the day. He sets out to join the others. I am ready.

1 CLW
1 Shield
1 Unmade (Need a minute to prepare)
Dex Mutagen

Farmerbink
2015-09-22, 08:40 PM
Frederick turns back to Leroy, "It seems to be a mystery to everyone, old boy. How I wish I could talk to you right now..." After running a calming hand across the horse's neck, he turns back to his companions. "Well, if we have no meaningful course of assessment, let us move on. Wherever we go, I want him with us, tonight." His thumb directed at Leroy, Frederick begins donning his armor for the long walk.

Best to be prepared, after all.

JWallyR
2015-09-23, 05:03 PM
"Well, of course! After the night he's had!" says Jan, looking up from her concerned inspection of the horse's lower legs. As Frederick dons his armor, the gnome retrieves a small wooden wand, clutching it in her tiny hand before scurrying up into the bed of the cart for the day's journey.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-09-24, 02:47 PM
The troupe begins traveling, the humidity and heat suppressing their spirits badly. As the sun passes its midpoint overhead Allustan looks frustrated by the slower pace. Everyone eats lunch quickly to try and return to the road.

About an hour later a quirky collection of gnomes appears on the road, traveling in the same direction as the previous day's halflings. As the two parties meet the gnomes hail them pleasantly, offering to trade in small gems, pieces of jewelry, and minor alchemical items (25 GP value or less). Unlike the farmers these traders are in high spirits, explaining that they are on their way to the Free City of Greyhawk to trade and maybe stay for the upcoming gladiatorial games in a bit more than a month.

You may RP with the gnomes if you like or continue your travels. They are a randomly generated encounter, but could provide you with some information if you ask the right questions.

Untarr
2015-09-24, 08:23 PM
"Gladiator Games? What are those?" Caelmah looks up from the jewels she was perusing at the mention of gladiators. "That sounds like it would be fun to watch!"

MuffinMan
2015-09-24, 10:41 PM
"Aye, that it does!" Dalin agrees, tearing his gaze away from the collection of uncut gems on display. "An jus how far is it to tha Free City from here, do ya think?"

Farmerbink
2015-09-25, 09:32 AM
The gnome's exuberance does little to brighten Frederick's sour mood. He mostly stands off to the side of the road, grooming Leroy as his companions interact with the traders. He listens to their discussions, but makes little effort to participate, himself.

JWallyR
2015-09-25, 09:01 PM
"Well, what are the odds! So few on the road, and we happen to cross paths!" shouts Jan as she hops down from the cart and hurries up to greet the gnomes on their path. "Why, seems I've seen none of our kind in entirely too long! Been wrapped up in nasty big folk business in the big city."

As the travelers make their mission known to the others, Jan fawns playfully over the jewelry and gems, but bashfully declines to make a purchase.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-09-26, 04:35 PM
"Gladiator Games? What are those?"

"An jus how far is it to tha Free City from here, do ya think?"
The lead gnome pipes up and explains that the games are an immense series of combats in the Free City Arena in which everything from historical battles to duels are fought, sometimes to the death! Several of the PCs remember that the Champion of the Arena, a man named Auric, was visiting Diamond Lake prior to their exploration of the Whispering Cairn. Most routes to Greyhawk from here pass through Diamond Lake, so it is roughly a week by foot, possibly longer if the travelers take their time.

Bidding them farewell, the gnomes return to the road, heading north away from the PCs' goal.
-------------------------------------

Returning to the southbound trail, the party begins to note the earthy, loamy smell of the swamps growing more present, along with the smell of smoke. Flies, including the biting kind, become more common until finally the party sees that the smoke can be seen rising from a point ahead of them. "I believe that is coming from Blackwall Keep - this is not good!" Allustan says fearfully as they get closer. When the wind shifts it is clear - the acrid smell of blood is on the air.

The terrain is hilly still, so it might be possible to sneak closer without alerting any hostile attackers to the party's presence. The keep is to the south, and your discussion with Allustan suggests it is a small site built of black stone with a single ground floor (largely hidden by the hill upon which it is built) and a tower. The keep also maintains a stockaded horse corral near the road partially embedded in the false hill.

How do you proceed?

Untarr
2015-09-27, 08:45 AM
"Alright. One of you shorties needs to go invisible and go see what is going on before we go in there. I would do it, but I'm only able to vanish for a really short time."

Caelmah pulls out her bow.

Would like Jan or Olofire to sneak forward (invisible only if they need it) and see what is going on before the party moves forward. Mr. Fullplate isn't the most sneakiest thing in the world.

MuffinMan
2015-09-27, 10:02 AM
Dalin sniffs the air worriedly at the smell of smoke and blood, and Berragi's fur bristles. Bending down, he whispers a few words in the fox's ear, then straightens. "Berragi here'll go too. If the both o ya don't come back soon, we're comin in after ya." He sets about securing belongings in the cart and preparing his gear as Berragi slinks off towards the direction of the keep.

Berragi stealth [roll0]
Berragi Perception [roll1]

Farmerbink
2015-09-27, 11:57 AM
Frederick snarls, and dons his helmet- previously left off for obvious comfort reasons. "It seems trouble has a way of beating us to the punch." He draws his blade as Berragi slinks off into the underbrush. "Olofire, if you would keep us well informed, it would be a blessing. It is unlikely I can discover anything before they discover me."

Albinobrow
2015-09-27, 02:27 PM
Frederick snarls, and dons his helmet- previously left off for obvious comfort reasons. "It seems trouble has a way of beating us to the punch." He draws his blade as Berragi slinks off into the underbrush. "Olofire, if you would keep us well informed, it would be a blessing. It is unlikely I can discover anything before they discover me."

Dalin sniffs the air worriedly at the smell of smoke and blood, and Berragi's fur bristles. Bending down, he whispers a few words in the fox's ear, then straightens. "Berragi here'll go too. If the both o ya don't come back soon, we're comin in after ya." He sets about securing belongings in the cart and preparing his gear as Berragi slinks off towards the direction of the keep.

Berragi stealth [roll0]
Berragi Perception [roll1]

Dr. Olofire nods his understanding to no one in particular. As Berragi scurried off though, he quietly calls out, "Wait! I'd like to prepare an elixir before I head out. He quickly takes out his kit and prepares one more elixir for the day.

Ok. Let's go!

Prepare expeditious retreat. Imbibe elixir of hiding for +10 to stealth for the next hour.
Stealth 1d20+24
Perception 1d20+10

Albinobrow
2015-09-27, 02:50 PM
I don't think that worked.
Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

JWallyR
2015-09-28, 01:11 PM
Ok. Let's go!

Jan looks at the halfling appraisingly before enfolding him in a sudden hug. "You be careful, you hear? See what you can see, but don't you go stirring up trouble when we're not there to help!" Releasing the alchemist from her embrace, she pulls and pushes on opposite shoulders of his before murmuring a few words under her breath and shoving him playfully forward while he winks out of sight.

Cast Invisibility, 5 minute duration. Make it count!

DarkOne-Rob
2015-10-02, 05:30 AM
When Olofire returns several minutes later he reports that things are bad at the small keep.

Describing the scene, he explains that the keep itself is a squat, simple looking building of black stone consisting of a single ground floor with a tower. It is on a hill and looks to be built into the hill itself. On the level above the entrance there is a 5-ft balcony extending outward, presumably to make it harder for invaders to enter the tower by climbing the walls. Large sharpened wooden stakes just out from the hillside on all sides pointing away from the keep to further deter attackers.

None of these defenses seem to be discouraging the lizardfolk from attacking, however.

The fort's stockade horse-corral has been taken, with the dismembered animals dead in the doorway and their stalls. Similarly the door to the keep on the south side of the keep proper (opposite the PCs) looks to have been broken and very hastily repaired. Olofire saw eight groups of lizardfolk around the keep arranged in strategic places and using bushes, large rocks, and dead trees as cover. Getting into the keep will require the PCs to go through the lizardfolk, and the last several yards to the keep walls are open and lack any sort of cover in which someone could hide.

As the halfling's reports the situation, Allustan visibly pales and suddenly looks very nervous. "You all must help the soldiers at the keep! From what it sounds like, they may have already been nearly overrun once, and without their horses they could not call for reinforcements. Who knows how many days they have been defending?! I will use my scroll of Teleport to return to the garrison in Diamond Lake with reinforcements. - you all should do what you can to help the soldiers inside the keep!" As he speaks he begins rummaging in his robes, apparently looking for the scroll to use it immediately...

JWallyR
2015-10-02, 02:07 PM
A growing pallor on her face as Olofire relates the conditions surrounding the keep, Jan whirls to face Allustan. "Wait! There has to be something you can do here, before you go back to alert the soldiers! Some magic you can weave to protect us or guide our aim?? There's just so many of them..." The gnome somehow looks even smaller than normal, looking piteously up at the mage.

Farmerbink
2015-10-02, 09:23 PM
Frederick takes the grim news in stride. He looks to Leroy, with concern on his face. "Allustan, is there a way you can take Leroy? I cannot imagine he will be any safer here than the keep's mounts were in their stables, and would be remiss were I to allow him to come to harm. We must go, at once. Have you any spells prepared that might provide some protection? Anything would be helpful, as it seems we have much to do."

MuffinMan
2015-10-03, 10:34 AM
Dalin swallows hard at the grim news, then nods solemnly. "Don't worry Allustan, we'll keep em safe - you jes get back here with tha Garrison quick!" As the others make their own preparations, he begins to cast a series of spells to bolster their abilities...

If there is more RP to be done, Dalin will wait to cast these until right before heading out, of course:

Protection from Evil (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/spells/protectionFromEvil.html#protection-from-evil) on Olofire (+2 AC, 5 min duration)

Heightened Awareness (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedClassGuide/spells/heightenedAwareness.html) on self (+4 initiative, 50 min duration)

Shield Companion (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedClassGuide/spells/shieldCompanion.html) on Berragi (+1 AC, +1 saves, split dmg, 5 hour duration)

Barkskin (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/spells/barkskin.html#barkskin) on self (+2 AC, 50 min duration) (this could go to someone else, if they think they'd need it more)

Bull's Strength (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/spells/bullSStrength.html#bull-s-strength) on Frederick (+4 Str, 5 min duration)

As the group prepares to set out towards the keep, Dalin turns to give one more piece of caution. "If we happen to see a big group o em, hold back an I can soften em up with a burst o Tharmekhûl's fire... Caelmah knows."

Untarr
2015-10-03, 06:31 PM
Caelmah nods and readies her bow.

Once they get within 30 seconds of the first group.

Casts Gravity Bow (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/gravityBow.html)

Bulls Strength (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/spells/bullSStrength.html#bull-s-strength)

and

Expeditious Retreat
(http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/spells/expeditiousRetreat.html#expeditious-retreat)

On herself.

All last 5 minutes (Magical Knack)

Albinobrow
2015-10-03, 11:05 PM
Come on. This way. Dr. Olofire heads off in the direction he came from, quietly leading the back to the keep. When the party is still far enough away from the keep to not be seen, but close enough to get full effect of the magics at their disposal, he signals to them to stop. As the various boons to the party are cast the tiny Doctor reaches for a now familiar flask of swirling green and blue liquid. I'm sorry, I believe this will only last for approximately 20 minutes this time. I'm still trying to decipher my formula book.. He raises the flask to the party in a "Cheer's!" motion and gulps it down.

This time the mutagen hurts more than it had the last few times, most likely do to the mediocre mixing. His skin burned with steam bursting from his pores as the fat and excess body water evaporates, shrinkwrapping his skin over his taut muscles and giving an extra abundance of energy! His hair head and eyebrows seemed to crawl back into his head as the keratin is transported and transformed, elongating and strengthening his nails and teeth to a razor sharp edge. Tears welled up in his as as he adjusted to the change, but his body seemed to hum with anticipation.

Looking around he asks, Ready?

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Take mutagen. +4 Dex -2 Wis +2 Natural Armor

After everyone is set, head on up!

Stealth [roll2]
Perception [roll3]

Untarr
2015-10-04, 06:13 AM
This time the mutagen hurts more than it had the last few times, most likely do to the mediocre mixing. His skin burned with steam bursting from his pores as the fat and excess body water evaporates, shrinkwrapping his skin over his taut muscles and giving an extra abundance of energy! His hair head and eyebrows seemed to crawl back into his head as the keratin is transported and transformed, elongating and strengthening his nails and teeth to a razor sharp edge. Tears welled up in his as as he adjusted to the change, but his body seemed to hum with anticipation.

"Neat trick! Do you do parties?" Caelmah's giggle ends in a laugh. Walking over to him, she pokes the side of his face, feeling the area where he just recently had hair. "eewwww....its all...smooth now...."

Farmerbink
2015-10-04, 08:10 AM
All business, Frederick turns to his allies. "I still cannot hope to proceed with anything resembling stealth. Why don't you all plan to surprise them as they come at me?"

At the presumed agreement, Frederick readies his shield and hammer, and begins trudging towards the top of a nearby crest- making his presence abundantly clear to anyone watching nearby.

any response on Leroy, or is he something like 100 feet behind me- once I reach this crest?

Albinobrow
2015-10-04, 05:21 PM
"Neat trick! Do you do parties?" Caelmah's giggle ends in a laugh. Walking over to him, she pokes the side of his face, feeling the area where he just recently had hair. "eewwww....its all...smooth now...."

Woah! Come on now.. It's not a perfect transformation. Yet. Now can we save those people now?

DarkOne-Rob
2015-10-05, 10:35 AM
"Wait! There has to be something you can do here, before you go back to alert the soldiers! Some magic you can weave to protect us or guide our aim?? There's just so many of them..."

"Allustan, is there a way you can take Leroy? I cannot imagine he will be any safer here than the keep's mounts were in their stables, and would be remiss were I to allow him to come to harm. We must go, at once. Have you any spells prepared that might provide some protection? Anything would be helpful, as it seems we have much to do."
Allustan shakes his head. "I did not prepare magic for combat today, as I expected this to be a peaceful visit to an old friend during which divination would be more valuable," he stammers as he finally finds the desired scroll from within the folds of his robe. "The scroll's magic is powerful enough to bring your horse and cart back with me. Be safe, and hold fast - reinforcements are on the way!" He takes the scroll, reads its magic, and as he finishes grasps the cart and places a hand on Leroy before winking out of sight with a subtle draft as the air rushes in to fill the space he just vacated.

The party makes their way quietly to the outskirts of the fort grounds before Olofire stops them at the bottom of a slight rise. There everyone prepares their magic and readies themselves to attack.

http://dmdavid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Encounter_at_Blackwall_Keep1.jpg

I will have up a google-docs battle map up later, but the image above is the original from the campaign material. Each square is 10 ft x 10 ft (I have no idea why), and you all are approaching from the top of the map. On the map you can see spikes - these are literally large tree trunks with sharpened ends used as defenses by the soldiers against invaders. The lizardfolk are arrayed to the south and east of the fort where they can watch the entrance - there doesn't appear to be a safe way for the soldiers to escape the fort to the north or west as it would involve a drop of at least one story from the upper ledge of the fort.

If you can give me a rough idea of how you would like to approach (by the road, off to the east or west of the road, etc...) it will help me arrange the google-docs map.

JWallyR
2015-10-05, 11:29 AM
"I still cannot hope to proceed with anything resembling stealth. Why don't you all plan to surprise them as they come at me?"

With a look of mischievous glee, Jan looks up at the burly half-orc and wiggles her fingers theatrically at him. "How big a target do you wanna be?"

Farmerbink
2015-10-05, 04:59 PM
Frederick smirks at the Gnome's suggestion. "I think I will never tire of having the arm-span of a house. Let's be on with it, and then you can hide nearby."

What with the 10' by 10' squares, there will be just enough room for me to comfortably traverse the space between the tower and the stables, without hindering my allies' movement. Let's plan on moving south through there, with me at the front and Olofire at the back (maybe invisible?). That way we can make the best use of Untarr's OOC suggestion. I think a fireball will be in order, shortly.

MuffinMan
2015-10-05, 08:49 PM
After jumping at Olofire's sudden transformation, Dalin just shakes his head and follows the halfling's lead back towards the fort. There he moves as Frederick directs, the incantation for a fireball ready to burst from his fingertips.

Going between the stables and keep sounds good.

Dalin will cast a fireball as soon as he sees a clump of 3+ lizardmen together in a 20ft radius without any friendlies. He'll try to minimize damage to the keep/stable, but will prioritize catching as many lizardmen as possible.

Possibly relevant rolls:
Perception [roll0]
Initiative [roll1]

Fireball [roll2], DC 18 Reflex for half