PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Michael's Specific Warlock Patron #18: Demogorgon , Lord of the Brine Flats

Michael7123
2015-09-06, 02:44 PM
I love the themes the warlock class bring to the table. Any character who wound up pledging himself to some sort of mysterious (Great old one), downright weird (Archfey), or devil (Fiend) will almost always have some sort of interesting backstory which is fun to explore in game.

However, the warlock subclasses in of themselves are pretty limited. Playing a warlock of Dagon, a demon lord of the abyss who resides in water, gives you the same classic "kill them all with fire" benefits as playing a warlock of Asmodeus. This is my attempt to change this.

Demogorgon, Lord of The Brine Flats

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/tfumux/images/8/8a/Demogorgon.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121003171943
Two heads are better than one!

Expanded Spell list:

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Bane, Command

2nd
Bark Skin, Blur

3rd
Spirit Guardians, Haste

4th
Stoneskin, Greater Invisiblity

5th
Dominate Person, Bigby's Hand

Pact features:

Supreme Might\
Starting at level 1, you can have a target be nocked prone after being hit with your eldtrich blast. You can use this ability once per short or long rest.

Split Personality
Starting at level 6, you can use an action to create a copy of yourself that acts and moves independently of you. It's equipment is identical to all of yours, and vanishes if removed from the copy. It follows your mental commands, but does so in a way opposite to your personality. For example, if your character is diligent and orderly, your copy might rush and attack your enemies recklessly. This copy lasts one minute. You may use this ability once per long rest.

Duality
Starting at level 10, if you hit an opponent with the eldtrich blast cantrip, and there is another opponent adjacent to him, you may deal the cantrip's damage to the adjacent target as well. You may only use this ability once per round.

Lord of Demons
Starting at 14th level, you can use magic to bring demons under your control, even those summoned by other creatures. As an action, you can choose one demon that you can see within 60 feet of you. That creature must make a Charisma saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. If it succeeds, you can’t use this feature on it again. If it fails, it becomes friendly to you and obeys your commands until you use this feature again. Demons with high levels of intelligence are harder to control in this way. If the target has an Intelligence of 8 or higher, it has advantage on the saving throw. If it fails the saving throw and has an Intelligence of 12 or higher, it can repeat the saving throw at the end of every hour until it succeeds and breaks free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you ever use this class in a game, please post a link to the game in this thread or send me a pm telling me how this class performed. Any tips you can offer are helpful!

Michael7123
2015-09-06, 02:45 PM
Reserved for design notes.

Urist Mcmage
2015-09-07, 01:11 PM
very flavorful, but split personality seems a little broken, since it effectively doubles the amount of damage it can do. my advice would be to replace split personality's effect with something like this: you have advantage on will saves and when rolling initiative.