PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Need help comparing 3 shields with abilities.

Groggen
2015-09-06, 03:17 PM
Hi

In a campaign I'm DMing I plan to have the PCs find a lump of Adamantine and give them the choice to craft it into a weapon (improved Critical), armor (ignore Critical, as in the DMG) or a shield. The shield abilities I'm down to are :

"Can be made slightly larger, but thinner due to the hardness of the material, which gives the bearer Evasion."

or

"Can be made more compact, which gives the bearer advantage on push/knock prone checks."

or

"Double the AC bonus from the shield versus ranged attacks/spells that target only you."

I would really appreciate some help in comparing these 3 abilities. If there are other suggestions those are of course welcome too :)

Flashy
2015-09-07, 03:04 AM
Incredibly powerful.

Pretty good.

Too much bookkeeping for my taste.

Groggen
2015-09-07, 10:59 AM
Incredibly powerful.

Pretty good.

Too much bookkeeping for my taste.

First of, thanks for the reply :)

I felt the first one was OP, so I think i will change it so that it gives you resistance to area damage, but only if you succeed on the Dex save.

The third one I might just change to: Add 2 to your Dex save against area damage effects.

ImSAMazing
2015-09-07, 11:38 AM

I felt the first one was OP, so I think i will change it so that it gives you resistance to area damage, but only if you succeed on the Dex save.

The third one I might just change to: Add 2 to your Dex save against area damage effects.

That might be better. Else, Adamantine Shield = Shield Master feat.

Flashy
2015-09-07, 11:08 PM

I think that first change seems right about the power level you're looking for. I don't love having to add numbers to scores under very specific circumstances in 5e, but the second change probably works fine too.