PDA

View Full Version : World destruction and planar travel

Roland Itiative
2015-09-07, 06:05 AM
Durkula's remark in the first panel of 1002 made me wonder... what would happen if the world was destroyed, and Xykon's phylactery was in his Astral Plane fortress rather than the Prime Material Plane? Yeah, I know the phylactery that Redcloak handed back to Xykon is a fake, so that's kind of a moot point, but I guess the real question here is how throughout the world destruction would be? Would it affect anyone who's outside of the world in the moment of destruction? Like, taking a vacation on the plane of ranch dressing, or something.

Synesthesy
2015-09-07, 06:16 AM
The question is really interesting, because we know that, in other plans of existence, there are at least 3 being who have business going on mortal plane....

So, when the God say 'destroy the world', they mean the Earth, the mortal plane, or the multiverse (at least, part of it)?

For the question, if the Astral Plane staid intact, Xykon would die and resurrect in Astral Plane.

SoC175
2015-09-07, 06:28 AM
Since they already stated that souls would go to their afterlives, the outer and inner planes are not affected by the destruction if the world

factotum
2015-09-07, 07:17 AM
In traditional D&D cosmology, which OotS seems to follow pretty strictly, the Astral Plane is entirely separate from the Prime Material Plane. One assumes the Snarl's prison consists of only the Prime Material, because there's no evidence either way and that makes the most sense, so its destruction would not affect the Astral at all.

137beth
2015-09-07, 10:33 AM
The gods probably don't care very much whether or not Xykon survives. If they decide to destroy and rebuild the world, they will rebuild it without the rifts, or the gates. The most Xykon would be able to do would be go on a massive killing spree. He wouldn't be able to threaten the gods, or destroy the new world.

Synesthesy
2015-09-07, 10:56 AM
The gods probably don't care very much whether or not Xykon survives.

I just question what is IFCC will. They are based on other planes, so maybe they want the world to be destroied...

Draconi Redfir
2015-09-07, 10:58 AM
Since they already stated that souls would go to their afterlives, the outer and inner planes are not affected by the destruction if the world

well on the bright side, this means that outsiders such as a certain air-plane slyph we all know and love who's name escapes me ATM, who's soul doesn't go to any form of afterlife, will still be around so long as they're not hanging around on the material plane at the time.

dtilque
2015-09-08, 06:22 AM
If they decide to destroy and rebuild the world, they will rebuild it without the rifts, or the gates.

Well, definitely not the gates, but could they actually do it without making more rifts?

The first world was made with lots of conflict between the gods, resulting in the Snarl. They tried to do a better job with World 2.0, but still had some conflict. The rifts are a reflection of this lesser conflict. I don't see the gods being all that much more cooperative now than they were then, so World 3.0 would probably have rifts as well. Especially since now they have more gods (Elven gods, the Dark One) than they had then. More gods = more potential conflict. This should have been Loki's argument against destruction/rebuilding, but for dramatic purposes, he was given a much weaker argument.

Kantaki
2015-09-08, 07:49 AM
Well, definitely not the gates, but could they actually do it without making more rifts?

The first world was made with lots of conflict between the gods, resulting in the Snarl. They tried to do a better job with World 2.0, but still had some conflict. The rifts are a reflection of this lesser conflict. I don't see the gods being all that much more cooperative now than they were then, so World 3.0 would probably have rifts as well. Especially since now they have more gods (Elven gods, the Dark One) than they had then. More gods = more potential conflict. This should have been Loki's argument against destruction/rebuilding, but for dramatic purposes, he was given a much weaker argument.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of rebuilding the world is that the next version wouldn't have the rifts. Didn't that come up when Soon told the story of the Snarl? That the gods could close the rifts, but only by destroying and rebuilding the world?

factotum
2015-09-08, 10:01 AM
I think the rifts are probably the result of the gods using the threads of reality in a way they'd never intended and had no experience with. If they destroyed the world and rebuilt it, they *would* have that experience and would be able to make it without the weaknesses that became the rifts.