PDA

View Full Version : Archivist prayerbook help

Raunchel
2015-09-07, 06:59 AM
Hello everyone. I'm currently working on an epic archivist, which means that I have a ton of gold to spend on preparing a prayerbook, and other stuff of course. I however am a little lazy and don't feel like digging through all sourcebooks to pick them, so I figured that I might as well ask if the playground knows how much just writing down all divine spells in blessed books would cost. I won't be using any cheese like alternate spell source to get sorcerer spells for instance, that would be a bit much I fear.

Can anyone help me with this?

Brova
2015-09-07, 07:06 AM
It costs nothing. You track down an Efreet, convince it to give you a wish, and wish for a Boccob's Blessed Book with all the spells in it.

Raunchel
2015-09-07, 07:12 AM
It costs nothing. You track down an Efreet, convince it to give you a wish, and wish for a Boccob's Blessed Book with all the spells in it.

That might work, but my dm would still count it as being part of my wealth by level at the start of the game. And I don't feel like tryibg to pull it off in game as there might be nasty complications.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-09-07, 09:45 AM
1. Lowest Level Versions of Spells (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1023251) is a list of every divine spell. Always try to learn your 2nd+ level spells from another Archivist for 50 gp per spell level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings), which is significantly cheaper than scrolls.

2. Take Leadership and get a Warlock 12+ cohort who can assist you in making scrolls of every divine spell in existence via his Imbue Item class feature.

2a. The Hexer class allows a character to add any spell in existence to his divine class spell list five times, so even spells that don't normally appear on any divine spell list could have been a divine spell on the right character, and thus could have been made into a divine scroll. Your Warlock cohort can emulate these as well when helping you make scrolls.

3. Get a Blessed Book (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook) and (make it a divine version, or hire a wizard to) fill all of the 1,000 pages with 1st level spells, each of which only takes a single page. It can be the same 1st level spell repeating. You now have 100,000 gp worth of pages filled for 12,500 gp.

4. Learn the spell Secret Page (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1023251) (Rune domain, Divine Bard). When you learn a spell (via Spellcraft) cast Secret Page to turn the text of a 1-page 1st level spell into that spell, so no matter what level it is, it will only take up a single page.

5. Get a few more Blessed Books and make some copies of your 1,000-spell spellbook, just in case something happens to one of them. Even if you lose all your spellbooks, you still learned your spells via a Spellcraft check and can cast Secret Page to turn another spell into any of them in whatever new spellbook you acquire. Your book should be Arcane Marked and always be in a (non-extraplanar) container that blocks line of sight and line of effect so it can never be hit with Dispel Magic or Disjunction.

6. Even though your Warlock cohort was making you scrolls to guarantee that you can learn any spell you want without having to go look for a Divine Bard or a Cleric with a particular domain, always pay 50 gp per spell level for every spell of 2nd level or higher from your WBL that you learn. Say that you've traded hundreds of spells with other Archivists via an equal exchange of information by studying each other's books, and those spells you gained for free will easily balance out the higher cost of what spells you learned from scrolls. To make everything simple, you're counting the 12.5 gp and 25 gp scroll cost for cantrips and 1st level spells, and the 50 gp per spell level cost for every spell of 2nd level or higher, from your WBL for the spells you begin play with.

Brova
2015-09-07, 09:59 AM
2a. The Hexer class allows a character to add any spell in existence to his divine class spell list five times, so even spells that don't normally appear on any divine spell list could have been a divine spell on the right character, and thus could have been made into a divine scroll. Your Warlock cohort can emulate these as well when helping you make scrolls.

Don't do this. If your DM is going to nix wishing for items, he very likely to nix this too.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-07, 11:39 AM
I however am a little lazy and don't feel like digging through all sourcebooks to pick them, so I figured that I might as well ask if the playground knows how much just writing down all divine spells in blessed books would cost.
Seriously? You actually thought someone in the playground would actually attempt to answer your original question instead of coming up with reasons why you should use their method instead? I assure you, however lazy you are the playground has you beat. If there isn't a shortcut to get around the rules then we don't want to play. :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, are you talking all divine spells from non source-specific material, or are we getting into Eberron, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, etc., and etc.?

Raunchel
2015-09-07, 12:49 PM
Seriously? You actually thought someone in the playground would actually attempt to answer your original question instead of coming up with reasons why you should use their method instead? I assure you, however lazy you are the playground has you beat. If there isn't a shortcut to get around the rules then we don't want to play. :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, are you talking all divine spells from non source-specific material, or are we getting into Eberron, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, etc., and etc.?

I can't help it, being obviously much more knowledgable than the Playground..

I am looking for all of them, including Forgotten Realms, Eberron and the like. Basically, everything first party.

Chronos
2015-09-07, 05:48 PM
The OP already specified that he doesn't want to use cheese like Alternate Source Spell to get sorcerer spells and the like. I think it's safe to say that if he finds that cheesy, he'll probably find using Hexer for the same purpose to be just as cheesy.

Callin
2015-09-07, 07:46 PM
But how cheesy is the General NPC Spellcaster? If those are your typical casters in the world then there are divine versions of Arcane Spells sitting around you just have to find em.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-09-07, 07:56 PM
But how cheesy is the General NPC Spellcaster? If those are your typical casters in the world then there are divine versions of Arcane Spells sitting around you just have to find em.

Do you mean Adept (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/npcClasses/adept.htm), or Generic Spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm)? If the latter, then you should never find one in the same game as an Archivist, because when using the generic classes your campaign world only uses the generic classes, with no other base classes.

If you mean Adept, then they're intended to be abundant in the campaign setting (DMG p139, at least one could potentially exist in every community, at least one is guaranteed to exist in every community of 901+ people), so finding one shouldn't be much of a problem. A large city is guaranteed to have at least three Adepts of at least 10th level, a metropolis is guaranteed to have at least four of at least 13th level.

Still, it looks like he's creating the character at a high level, so he just needs to include in his character's history that he was able to find those spells, and subtract the fee (scroll price for cantrips and 1st level, 50 gp per spell level for 2nd+ level) from his starting WBL.

Chronos
2015-09-07, 08:34 PM
Oh, and just for the sake of completeness:

Quoth Biffoniacus_Furiou:

2a. The Hexer class allows a character to add any spell in existence to his divine class spell list five times, so even spells that don't normally appear on any divine spell list could have been a divine spell on the right character, and thus could have been made into a divine scroll.
Actually, they can only add sorcerer/wizard spells-- I just looked it up. Which covers the vast majority of non-divine spells, but there are still a few gems on the Wu Jen list that you're missing out on.