PDA

View Full Version : DoubleGold's The Midnight Mirror

DoubleGold
2015-09-07, 08:15 PM
The Midnight Mirror Takes place in the small, rural barony of Karpad in northern Nidal, located on the thinning edges of the Uskwood. Its citizens know little of the shadowy secret aristocracy in Pangolais or the core of Zon-Kuthon's worshipers in southern Ridwan. Nevertheless, the fear and darkness that permeate Nidal are prominent here as they are throughout the nation.

Some Adventure Background (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/The_Midnight_Mirror)

Additional Background info
Stepan Boroi, the ambitious third son of a minor Nidalese noble, was not content to see his eldest brother, Iozif, inherit the family lands. Amid the detritus of generations that fills the crumbling Boroi Manor, Stepan discovered an ancient mirror--acquired centuries ago by an ancestor of sinister repute--that gave him just what he needed to secure the barony for himself. In the mirror Stepan saw another manor, shadowed and hazy like a half-remembered dream. Yet where Stepan's reflection should have been, there stood instead a dark figure, taller than a man, with a face covered in a white mask and eyes like distant stars. This was Nicasor, both the mirror's master and its greatest prisoner.

Part One: Dread of Night
The influential Tiboros family of Nisroch is worried over the wellbeing of their youngest daughter, Anya. A year ago she married a handsome baron from rural Karpad, and 2 months ago she gave birth to a son. All seemed fine for Anya until her frequent letters to her parents mentioned her husband's growing paranoia and erratic behavior. Three weeks ago her letters stopped altogether, and her family wants answers.

A disease called Tallowthroat plagues the city.

Shortly after Stepan reneged on his agreement with Nicasor, the shae's rage infused the shadow essence that leaked from the midnight mirror and manifested in the Material Plane as a strange new disease that locals of Karpad named tallowthroat. Victims sweat constantly, giving their skin a waxy appearance, and their throats swell as though suffering from goiter as the shadow essence infusing them takes form into hostile creatures. An infection creature becomes increasingly irritable, to the point of possessing an attitude of unfriendly with even its closest friends and relatives. Intimidate check DCs are treated as Diplomacy checks to change an infected creature's starting attitude (regardless of the actual skill used).

Because of their ties to the Plane of Shadow, fetchlings are immune to the effects of tallowthroat, though they often act as carriers; only the town's existing system of fetchling segregation has prevented the spread of the disease to the entire town. In fact, it was the fetchling Sergyev, a groundskeepr at Baroi Manor, who first came into contact with the disease, which leaked into the Material Plane through the water in the manor's courtyard fountain. Sergyev spread the disease to several other members of the household staff, and later around Karpad when Stepan fired all but one of the fetchlings working in the manor.

The disease last 1d3 days and does 1d3 cha damage per day. You take a -4 to saves involving mind resist effects in areas of bright illumination. A creature dies if the cha damage exceeds its cha score, releasing 1d3 shadows as its swollen neck explodes. The disease has to be in ingested or by touch.

Gamestart
Heroes are direct to Boroi Manor. You are greated by Laurentiu, the manor's majordomo at the entrance.
What do you wish to do, or tell him or ask him, you are just outside this large manor

Smeggedoff
2015-09-11, 12:22 PM
When the Majordomo answeres the door he's greeted by the gleaming sight of Scheherazade Jones (and Associate)
Giving the man a sunny smile, Jones starts of with "Good evening sir! Sorry to disturb you at this late hour. I was wondering if we might have a word with the lord or lady of the house please"

meltodowno
2015-09-11, 12:47 PM
Helena kicked a stone on the pathway behind Miss Jones, clearly unappreciative of been dragged along on this particular field trip. There were plenty of nice safe comfy places they could have visited. But no, Hera had borderline force marched them here. 'The darkest times need the brightest light' and all that other righteous mumbo jumbo.

She hadn't been paying attention much, in truth. She followed along because it was preferable to the alternative. Still, they were here now so she may as well play nice.

She waved politely from behind Miss Jones, giving off a warm informal smile, in stark contrast to her companion.

DoubleGold
2015-09-16, 03:06 PM
Yes, right this way he says
As he directs you do the sitting room. This room has red wallpaper with floral designs done in gold leaf. Armchairs of soft leather surround a low glass table set with light refreshments, and a glass chandelier glitters overhead, unlit. The room smells pleasantly musty, like old books. It is well kept for visitors like you.

You are told to wait in this room, and after about 10 minutes Anya comes out to greet you. She asks what your business is here. She is a pleasant warm individual, even though she is a noble. Although she does not work for a living, she does help others have lots of friends. She admits that she married Stepan, but he isn't who he use to be. He fell ill at one time and so did her children. Even though the fetchlings carrying the disease were banned from the town, Karpad's citizens dissappeared and asks for your help to solve these myteries.

Please I need your help she says, as she goes to grab more refreshments for you both.

Smeggedoff
2015-09-16, 11:52 PM
Jones looks slightly concerned at the mention of banning sick people from town but puts on a more pleasant face

"Of course we'll help someone in needs, that's what we're here for. Do you have any leads? A good place to start would be helpful" she says

DoubleGold
2015-09-20, 07:15 PM
Leads, none really, I need all the help I can get with the investigation. Feel free to explore our manor

From here you can go to the dinning room, the kitchen, servants quarters, drawing room, armory, kennels, sitting room, or you can go downstairs. Which room?

Smeggedoff
2015-09-23, 03:01 PM
"Well thank you for your time ma'am" replies Jones "we'll try not be be too intrusive"
Jones stands, bows, and takes her leave heading for the servants quarters

meltodowno
2015-09-23, 07:04 PM
Hel followed Jones through towards the servants quarters.

"Boss, you think the servants are in on it?" she whispered "Want me to go bad cop on them? I can put on a fierce scowl."

Hel wasn't so sure there was much to be had from hitting up the servants quarters, but often they would hear things the rich folk didn't, so reasoned it was as good a lead as any at the moment. Still, Jones was better at the people side, Hel was better at the tracking and hunting side.

"Mind if I confer my blessing upon you before you go and get punched in the face by an irate sla- .... servant?"

Smeggedoff
2015-09-24, 09:48 AM
Jones frowns
"Honestly I'm not even sure what they might be in on. The disappearances might be a good place to start but apart from unreported death I'm not sure how they'd tie into this plague or the Baron's oddness."

She looks at her companion with a wry smile
"Bless away, but I don't think starting a fistfight in the home of our employer would be a stellar first move"

meltodowno
2015-09-24, 11:59 AM
Hel made a series of rote hand gestures as she worked her magic.

Ward Hex on Jones

DoubleGold
2015-09-24, 01:36 PM
The two enter the servants quarters. These cramped bedrooms each hold a bunk bed, a modest dresser, and a simple table. The one belonging to Laurentiu has the nicer room. Search the room as heroes might, they find nothing of interest, and even if they did, they wouldn't want to steal stuff in the bedrooms, now would they? Though a few of the servants are in their bedrooms now, heroes are free to talk to them.