PDA

View Full Version : Death Note

zeratul
2007-05-11, 10:39 PM
I just became a huge fan of death note. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves mystery, slightly gothic anime, and great writing. Any other fans here?

Skippy
2007-05-11, 10:43 PM
Loved it!!!!

I think it's a great manga/anime, I've almost finished reading it!!! Besides, the music is also great!!!!

Mr_Saturn
2007-05-11, 10:44 PM
I just became a huge fan of death note. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves mystery, slightly gothic anime, and great writing. Any other fans here?

anime and manga are both goood. Currently in the process of watching it. But shouldnt this go in "Media discussions" :smallconfused:

zeratul
2007-05-11, 10:44 PM
I just realised I accidentally put this in friendly banter, should be in media.:smalltongue:

Gralamin
2007-05-11, 10:45 PM
*points at media Discussions* Anime/Manga are usually Media...

But I confess, I am a great fan of Death note, especially L.

edit: Damn you Zeratul, Simuing me.

Mr_Saturn
2007-05-11, 10:46 PM
*points at media Discussions* Anime/Manga are usually Media...

But I confess, I am a great fan of Death note, especially L.

edit: Damn you Zeratul, Simuing me.

And i happen to have an L avatar! L rocks! :smallbiggrin:

Actually gralamin, you got double simu'ed :smallwink:

Skippy
2007-05-11, 10:48 PM
L's a madman, but hes friggin' awesome!!!!

Kira's awesome too... Always a step forward... It's like watching the roadrunner...

Mr_Saturn
2007-05-11, 10:54 PM
L's a madman, but hes friggin' awesome!!!!

Kira's awesome too... Always a step forward... It's like watching the roadrunner...

L's no madman. What are you talking about?

And Kira got served. The part where i am at right now. KIRA GOT SERVED!

(pardon the expression)

averagejoe
2007-05-11, 11:03 PM
It got worse when Kira gave up the note and worked with L and afterwords. It should have been a shorter series than it is; it's just impossible to maintian the sort of tension that made the show that good for 30 episodes. Or maybe it's not that... I dunno, I just liked it better at the beginning. I liked that Light was very smart, but at the same time his intellect is his hubris. For example, there should not have been any concievable way that L should have gotten close to figuring out what was going on; he just got close because Light had to prove himself better than L.

Interesting tensions.

Skippy
2007-05-12, 08:29 AM
Oh, you haven't read the manga, have you?? Kira's ALWAYS a step ahead...

MAJOR SPOILER!!! You really shouldn't read it if you are enjoying the anime little by little...
He gave up the note only because he knew there was a way to recovering it AND killing L in the process

Show me a person who solves mysteries while building sugar cubes castles, and I can show you a madman...

Anyway... Who cares?? He is really cool!

zeratul
2007-05-12, 05:03 PM
An L avatar was made !!?? *Goes to check it out*

Abacab
2007-05-12, 05:26 PM
Zeratul, have you been paying attention to this thread? Mr_Saturn hast the L avatar in his sig.

I was enthralled by the Death Note manga until...

Those two little prodigies came. Then, I started to get annoyed and confused between them and the lady who snacked on chocolate.

How does she stay thin?

Don't you find it odd the person who illustrates it did Hikaru No Go? Death Note is so dark compared to that manga.

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-12, 05:48 PM
I've got a few friends who are/were really into the series. I watched four episodes in the little anime club we do at school. I thought it was fine, but it's hardly my favourite to be perfectly honest.

sun_tzu
2007-05-12, 05:56 PM
I got to the seventh book so far, and have been utterly amazed. Death Note is the standard by which duels of wits shall henceforth be judged. Light Yagami is among the most intelligent characters in fiction, and freaking scary.

Don't you find it odd the person who illustrates it did Hikaru No Go? Death Note is so dark compared to that manga.
What? Both are stories about some guy with an incredible skill getting haunted by a supernatural entity and developping a rivalry with an extremely intelligent antagonist who also becomes central to the story. Really, Death Note and Hikaru No Go are pretty similar managas.
*snrk*:smallbiggrin:

Abacab
2007-05-12, 06:12 PM
What? Both are stories about some guy with an incredible skill getting haunted by a supernatural entity and developping a rivalry with an extremely intelligent antagonist who also becomes central to the story. Really, Death Note and Hikaru No Go are pretty similar managas.

But Death Note is so dark and gothic, but Hikaru No Go is full of happy people that smile a lot more. The artist must be talented to be able to draw two mangas with completely different moods.

averagejoe
2007-05-12, 08:15 PM
Oh, you haven't read the manga, have you?? Kira's ALWAYS a step ahead...

Nono, that's not what I meant; I liked the idea that Kira's own arrogance would be his eventual downfall (or at least give him a lot of trouble), it's just that after you do that it destroys what the show had going for it, and needs to end soon after. That's all I meant.

Agatsuma
2007-05-12, 08:58 PM
I was enthralled by the Death Note manga until...

Those two little prodigies came. Then, I started to get annoyed and confused between them and the lady who snacked on chocolate.

How does she stay thin?

Actually, he is a guy... Surprised me a bit at first too.

I have been following the series since the first manga was released in the US. It was a random purchase that looked good, even it was Shonen Jump. It has had its weak moments, particularly with N & M, but I still cannot wait until the last one is released in July. Hopefully the anime won't finish before then, since it has only seven episodes left and is kind of rushing things...

Lemur
2007-05-12, 10:07 PM
But Death Note is so dark and gothic, but Hikaru No Go is full of happy people that smile a lot more. The artist must be talented to be able to draw two mangas with completely different moods.

Now that I think of it, the styles do look familiar. I never really read Hikaru no Go much, so I never checked it for who the creator was. Considering it, both manga are linked not so much in tone, but in how the characters resolve things. That is, they focus largely on a battle of strategy and wits. Most shounen manga can't really claim such a thing (in fact, the opposite is usually true- many shounen manga characters are simpletons).

In any case, I read the "pilot" comic for Death Note, and it had a somewhat different tone to it. That is, the protagonist was younger, and things weren't so dark and serious. When I think about it though, that was probably just to sell the concept, while the author had a different thing in mind.

Oh yeah, and like Agatsuma said,
Mello is guy. A rather androgenous one, certainly, but that's hardly unusual for manga and anime. Keep in mind that L also constantly snacks on sweets, and doesn't suffer from it. Chalk it up to them being crazy prodigies.

zeratul
2007-05-12, 10:40 PM
What episode are they up to in Japan? I've watched up to eleven so far.

sun_tzu
2007-05-13, 06:00 AM

The last two lines in my previous post weren't enough to show I was joking?

Abacab
2007-05-13, 07:34 AM
The last two lines in my previous post weren't enough to show I was joking?

Sorry, it can be hard for me to differentiate between what is sarcasm and what isn't.

Also,
Mello's a guy?! Death Note has almost always left me confused!

Skippy
2007-05-13, 09:31 AM
Yup, He's a Guy... You know, that would be something like a V's gender discussions... If Near hadn't used the word "He" sometimes...

I'd love to see the author draw V...

EvilElitest
2007-05-14, 06:25 PM
The most morbid manga in the world, really just morbid and cruel

But amazing, at least until near shows up
from,
EE

drawingfreak
2007-05-14, 08:39 PM
I absolutely love this show. Light is my new hero. Aside from Hiro from Heroes.

I'm loving the second story arch with N. Not as fun as with L but, eh. And the new opening song is much better than the first.

Teal Kuinshi
2007-05-15, 07:37 PM
Actually, as smart as Kira is, he's the one that managed to box himself in. He made some pretty stupid decisions throughout the entire thing.

Abacab
2007-05-18, 02:20 PM
Actually, as smart as Kira is, he's the one that managed to box himself in. He made some pretty stupid decisions throughout the entire thing.

Do you have any evidence of that? The only stupid thing that comes to mind is that local news station incident, the one where he killed the fake "L".

I think Kira is one of the smartest characters I have ever seen, and if I were in his situation, I would have been caught within the first week.

SITB
2007-05-18, 02:30 PM
Well he did in episode 30/31 pretty much made sure that every one who heard N suspected him to be Kira, his own hubris is his undoing.
Not that he isn't awesome nevertheless.

Also, am I the only one who hopes, nay prays that Misa will die already and leave the series?

Death Note is the standard by which duels of wits shall henceforth be judged. Light Yagami is among the most intelligent characters in fiction, and freaking scary.

Seconded!

Hephaestus
2007-05-19, 08:29 AM
Kira's first mistake was making himself known on purpose in the first place. Idiot...

Skippy
2007-05-19, 11:01 AM
Ehm... I guess the idea was to get to be known... You know, the whole "becoming a god" thing and all...

Skippy
2007-05-19, 11:14 AM
Edit... This thing sent the post twice... sorry...

Hephaestus
2007-05-19, 12:38 PM
Yes, the fact that he wanted to be known, that he would take such a huge risk rather then switching up the details by which the criminals died, was stupid, his ego overcame his intelligence, a truely foolish move. Very arrogant is Kira.

Skippy
2007-05-20, 12:59 AM
Yes, he is really arrogant... He's a bit like how I used to be... Top grades, always clean... That's why I don't know how can people actually like him... He's a bit of a pain in the rear, don't you think??

But, if he had changed the details for the criminals' deaths, people wouldn't have noticed something was going on...

SITB
2007-05-20, 01:55 AM
He needed to make sure people had known that something would be going on. He needed that the criminal populace would tremble in fear and terror. All that they could see was other criminal dropping like flies from the same reason and no pualsable explanation to that, so Light thought that if he would continue that way the criminals would get the idea and stop commiting crimes out of fear.

As for why people like him, I like him because he has power and actually uses it in a competent and sympathize able postion. Getting top grades is just a way to illustrate how smart he is. He has a definite goal and is trying to reach it un-futile way unlike normal "heroes".

Alarra
2007-05-20, 09:37 PM
I love death note. Light is quite possibly the coolest person ever. Misa annoys the crap out of me though. And yeah, it feels somewhat like they've stretched it out too long. N just doesn't bring the kind of tension that there was with L.

B-Man
2007-05-20, 09:44 PM
I liked the series 'til the seventh volume. When Near and Mello were introduced, I just lost all hope in the series. I'm still going to buy the final volume when it comes out on July 3. ...assuming I can afford it... and Samurai Deeper Kyo... SDK comes before Death Note, I'm afraid. :smallsigh:

Akaziel
2007-05-20, 10:55 PM
I still like Death Note, though I started losing interest when Near and Mello came along.