PDA

View Full Version : Thrown Weapons and Magic Items

goken04
2007-05-12, 12:09 AM
Are there any magic items that are particularly beneficial/useful for a dagger throwing halfling? I can't find anything that strikes me as particularly helpful (except gloves of dex, obviously).

Yechezkiel
2007-05-12, 12:22 AM
Pale Green Ioun Stone - +1 competence bonus on attack rolls (and saves, skill checks, ability checks).

Belt of Giant Strength +2, +4, +6 - would increase your damage but is expensive for what it will do for you.

You could have something akin to Bracers of Archery (Greater/Lesser) for throwing daggers made if you're DM likes the idea.

JaronK
2007-05-12, 01:41 AM
Gloves of Tarnheim, I think the item is called, grants returning on any weapon you throw while wearing them.

JaronK

TheSteelRat
2007-05-12, 01:57 AM
Depends on how nice your GM is since most Magic Items are more towards the Archery side of things.

Possibilities
DMG - Scabbard of Keen Edges (16k)
Similar Scabbards can be priced using this as a basis for giving 3/day weapons Enhancements. See Quiver of Energy below.
Complete Arcane - Belt of Many Pockets (11k) - Good for storing an obscene number of daggers and/or other throwable goodies
Complete Mage - Horizon Goggles (8k) - Far Shot Feat for free.
Complete Psionic
Quiver of Energy (16k) - +1d6 of certain energy to all normal items placed within it for at least 1 round.
This is definitely good for mass dagger-throwage if converted to a) Magic, and b) Daggers. Similar to the concept for the Keen Scabbard, since it's basically all the various types of +1 equivalent energy types. If I was the DM, 16k for 3 uses a day isn't exactly breaking it. Especially when you consider the cost for higher level versions (+2 = 36k if Scabbard Cost = 8 * Enhancement cost. This could be negotiated with especially if the weapons are essentially one-use only in an encounter)

Mr the Geoff
2007-05-12, 04:39 AM
Efficient Quiver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#efficientQuiver) (it is called something else in the DMG but that is not OGL)

For those times when you just ran out of daggers

60 darts, 18 javelins and 6 spears and it weighs just 2lb.

My rogue/master thrower used to swear by it because there's some things you just don't want to throw your dagger of returning at (ever since that incident when a rust monster melted the ranger's intelligent weapon)

goken04
2007-05-12, 11:02 AM
Gloves of Tarnheim, I think the item is called, grants returning on any weapon you throw while wearing them.

JaronK

What book is that in?

Also, I should mention that I have level 8 starting gold.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-12, 01:17 PM
The Gauntlet of Infinite Blades would be very helpful to you.

It costs 6,500 GP, creates a dagger in your hand as a swift action, and allows you to create magical daggers a couple of times per day.

Page 101 of the Magic Item Compendium.

goken04
2007-05-12, 03:05 PM
The Gauntlet of Infinite Blades would be very helpful to you.

It costs 6,500 GP, creates a dagger in your hand as a swift action, and allows you to create magical daggers a couple of times per day.

Page 101 of the Magic Item Compendium.

Cool, thanks. I'll see if I can get my hands on the MIC. Also, if anyone's interested in helping out my build, I posted it over here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=846005). Thanks guys!

I'm thinking about putting the Explosive enchantment (CW) on the weapon. That would be fun, huh? You think I could enchant it as a melee weapon (cheaper in this case) and just-so-happen to throw it? In its pricing it doesn't mention anything about what the case is for a weapon that can be either type of weapon.