View Full Version : Movies Suicide Squad

Avilan the Grey
2015-09-08, 11:46 AM
So I finally broke down and watched the trailer for this.

...It looks... positively average. Except the Joker, who is, indeed, horrible. As in that's not The Joker, that's an emo bond villain with dumb tattoos. And I LIKE tattoos. Harley is more Joker than the Joker.
I am seriously contemplating skipping the movie because of him alone.
But yes, my main impression is "Better than Yawn, barely makes the That Looks Okay I guess". it DOES look better than Batman Vs Superman, but the best DC trailer so far this year is Supergirl.

t209
2015-09-08, 01:58 PM
Well, you should try New 52 version of her. Bruce Timm was upset about it.

Avilan the Grey
2015-09-08, 02:13 PM
Well, you should try New 52 version of her. Bruce Timm was upset about it.

I have tried enough New 52, thank you. That's why I stopped reading comics a few years ago.

Anteros
2015-09-08, 02:17 PM
I think they're doing the Assault on Arkham plot, which has potential to be very good. That said, everything I've actually seen so far has led me to believe it will be bad.

BWR
2015-09-08, 02:21 PM
I'm hopeful. Not entirely sold on the Joker but the rest looks like it could be fun. It's certainly more promising than the GotG or A:AoU trailers were.
Still, a trailer is a trailer and not necessarily an accurate representation of the movie.

Avilan the Grey
2015-09-08, 03:24 PM
I'm hopeful. Not entirely sold on the Joker but the rest looks like it could be fun. It's certainly more promising than the GotG or A:AoU trailers were.
Still, a trailer is a trailer and not necessarily an accurate representation of the movie.

See, I have faith in Marvel, because well... they have turned 50 years of comics into a distilled Awesome. Every frakking movie they have put out so far is Awesome, except Thor, which was only "Damn good".

DC... Suffers from the same sickness they have when it comes to their comics: "Everything MUST BE BATMAN. Except Batman, which is BATMAN BATMAN". And I was over Batman 20 years ago.
On top of this I have several other issues:

1. The Joker looks and sounds awful.
2. I don't care for the original comic.
3. With the exception of Harley, I don't care for any of the characters in the group.
4. It looks so... Batman.

t209
2015-09-08, 03:28 PM
Well, Suicide Squad is Batman. I mean they are black ops group manned by Super Villains.
Except it won't have a big black lady fighting Granny Goodness with a machine gun. Do note that Granny is ruthless in spite of her name and her looks.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-09-08, 03:32 PM
I always feel weird seeing this reaction because A: I rather liked the trailer and B: Leto's take on the Joker looks really interesting to me.

Traab
2015-09-08, 03:46 PM
Im actually curious to see this. Its a different take on the joker and I love seeing that done. I grew up with ceaser romero and then jack nicholson and mark hamil as my jokers. Then I saw heath ledger and loved how dark he was. It was a more psychotically violent take than I was used to and that made it a unique joker to me. This seems to be yet another new take on joker, so instead of dismissing it, i will give it a chance THEN decide if I like it or not.

Avilan the Grey
2015-09-08, 03:58 PM
I always feel weird seeing this reaction because A: I rather liked the trailer and B: Leto's take on the Joker looks really interesting to me.

Thing is that he isn't to me. He looks like a wannabe, a knock-off, an over-aged emo teen "cosplaying Emo Joker" and well... doesn't feel right.
Of course I am one of the few that didn't care for Ledgers Joker either. In fact to me, Nicholson was the one closest to the character...

Well, Suicide Squad is Batman. I mean they are black ops group manned by Super Villains.
Except it won't have a big black lady fighting Granny Goodness with a machine gun. Do note that Granny is ruthless in spite of her name and her looks.

Oh I know. My complaint was more in general about DC.
As someone on a different forum said: Marvel lost me as a fan (of their Comic books, not movies) in 1994. DC lost me in 2011.

Kitten Champion
2015-09-08, 04:05 PM
Suicide Squad's major potential issue is that it has a very large cast that they effectively have to work in with no prior introduction. That's a tough road to hoe for a conventional length film which also has to do a plot, action scenes, WB/DC mandated world-building, etc. I suspect it's going to come out something like X-Men, where a few of the popular characters get 90% of the development and the rest are just sort of around because they have to be.

Though all I got from the trailer was the tone of the movie - which seems pretty much par for the course - and how the actors look in costume. Random shots of context-free stuff doesn't really interest me, but it's fine for something coming out next summer.

Anteros
2015-09-08, 04:57 PM
The biggest red flag to me is Will Smith. He's had like 2 good movies in the last 15 years. DC just keeps making really weird casting decisions. They seem to go for star power without actually considering if the actor is a good fit for the role.

GAZ
2015-09-08, 05:25 PM
I too am not big on the Will Smith. He's a huge name Hollywood movie star leading man. Suicide Squad is an ensemble piece, where any/everybody can die. But this casting puts too much focus on Deadshot and too many bullets into anyone else.

Legato Endless
2015-09-08, 07:52 PM

I don't know. Damaged being tattooed to someone's head only works for me in a campy movie. Or maybe some alternative piece with a satirical bend. For an action film with a dark tone, it's just silly looking. He looks a parody of a glam band. I'm not saying Leto might not deliver a decent characterization, but very little will justify that 'more is more' design philosophy they costumed him in.

Pretty sure I complained about this before, but I'm also a bit put off by the trailer invoking yet another of the worse excesses of the superhero genre, trite painful dialogue to force a title drop. Why? Why is this needed? It almost always sounds hackneyed, and the cheesy nature of most superhero epithets only exacerbates the issue. Why do we need to be constantly reminded about how rarely the big two raise to mediocrity with their names conventions? Can't a film just be about something without rubbing in our faces? That's not a good sign for the dialogue. Although maybe the writer is decent and it's just some exec who forced it in.

BWR
2015-09-09, 02:11 AM
See, I have faith in Marvel, because well... they have turned 50 years of comics into a distilled Awesome. Every frakking movie they have put out so far is Awesome, except Thor, which was only "Damn good".

DC... Suffers from the same sickness they have when it comes to their comics: "Everything MUST BE BATMAN. Except Batman, which is BATMAN BATMAN". And I was over Batman 20 years ago.
On top of this I have several other issues:

1. The Joker looks and sounds awful.
2. I don't care for the original comic.
3. With the exception of Harley, I don't care for any of the characters in the group.
4. It looks so... Batman.

See, I have a slightly different opinion of the MCU. On the whole it's very good but the Thor movies were pretty bad (especially Dark World) and GotG was overrated. Not actually bad, just not very good. Thoroughly mediocre. Haven't seen Ant-Man yet. A:AoU was ok. Not quite as good as the first Avengers but it's not something I have any need to see again except for the Hulk vs. IM scene.
And, unlike what seems to be the prevailing opinion here, I really like MoS and think it's better than any MCU movie except Iron Man and CA:TFA. Also, I generally like DC more than Marvel, so I'm naturally inclined to So I am more than willing to give the upcoming DC movies a fair shot based on that, and the trailers haven't done anything to indicate that they are going to be bad.
As I mentioned before, trailers can be misleading so I'm reserving final judgement until I see the movies, but the trailers have done their job of making me want to see the movies.

Chives
2015-09-09, 05:53 AM
Scratch this, I'm wrong.

Killer Angel
2015-09-09, 06:17 AM
What happened to your avatar? :smalltongue:

So I finally broke down and watched the trailer for this.

...It looks... positively average.

I don't know. I haven't seen a single thing that interests me. And, given that a trailer should hype the movie, I think I'll pass.

Ebon_Drake
2015-09-09, 02:04 PM
"So that's it, huh? We're the patsies. We're some kind of... Suicide Squad." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0wg3t6osM)

As for the rest of the trailer, I thought it was... OK, I guess? Pretty much what I expected, with a heavy focus on Will Smith and Harley Quinn and little attention to the other characters. I agree that Smith feels like the weakest part. He just seems to be playing the exact same character he plays in every movie, complete with a heartstring-tugging kiddie in tow. Meh, give me a ruthless nihilist Deadshot instead.

I'm putting all my faith in mutton-chopped Captain Boomerang. I'm hoping he steals the whole damn thing.