PDA

View Full Version : Heal Skill Fix

ComaVision
2015-09-08, 01:14 PM
I've found that a very common misconception with new players in D&D 3.5 is that you can use the Heal skill to actually heal. I've always thought that it should. I have a simple thought about how it may work but I'd like the Playground's input.

"The Heal skill can be used to heal another character as a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. The amount of health restored is equal to one half the Heal check. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to your ranks in the Heal skill."

The immediate effects I can see are:
-The Cure spells are diminished in value (they're already junk)
-Characters could potentially heal large amounts by skill optimization (I don't see a problem with that if that's what they want to invest in)
-Low level healing is easier (sounds good to me)
-The "First Aid" use of the Heal skill is almost useless

Thoughts?

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-08, 01:30 PM
I would leave the magical healing (spells, potions, lay on hands, etc.) for in-combat and relegate the heal skill to out-of-combat. Change the action from a standard action to a full minute. That doesn't steal the thunder from the magical healers as much.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-09-08, 01:41 PM
It still wouldn't be worth healing in-combat, but it's better than cure spells. Not a problematic change, I should think.

The Heal skill does actually heal, but only if the target would've recovered health naturally through rest (1 hp/HD per 24 hours, assuming 8 hours rest, by default, which is doubled by Heal). You could allow the Heal skill to reduce the amount of rest needed to regain health. For example, you make a Heal check, and you reduce the rest time needed by an hour with a DC 10 check, by two hours with a DC 20 check, by three hours with a DC 30 check and so on, up to a maximum of a DC 70 check (one hour rest in a 24-hour period for 1 hp/HD healed).

If you combine that with a way to get rest more than once per day - as a modifier to successive Heal checks, say +10 for each additional rest per day - you can use the skill to guarantee full hit points between encounters.

NB Numbers above are not refined or balanced, substitute your own.

ComaVision
2015-09-08, 01:42 PM
I would leave the magical healing (spells, potions, lay on hands, etc.) for in-combat and relegate the heal skill to out-of-combat. Change the action from a standard action to a full minute. That doesn't steal the thunder from the magical healers as much.

That's a good thought. I suppose that's much less immersion-breaking than fixing a gaping wound in 3 seconds, as well.

sovin_ndore
2015-09-08, 01:47 PM
I would even be okay with making longer duration skill checks replace downtime healing entirely. I would think setting heal checks to the time requirements for search checks and maybe use the chart for Iaijustu Focus to evaluate how many dice of healing is gained.

ComaVision
2015-09-08, 01:50 PM
I would even be okay with making longer duration skill checks replace downtime healing entirely. I would think setting heal checks to the time requirements for search checks and maybe use the chart for Iaijustu Focus to evaluate how many dice of healing is gained.

I'd rather not have a chart just for the sake of simplicity and reference.

dascarletm
2015-09-08, 02:03 PM
When I find myself DMing for groups that lack healing, and I don't want to force another character in the group or really change up how I wanted the campaign to run; I like to say that a heal check takes 1 hour and heals 1HP for every point over 10 as the dice result.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-08, 02:22 PM
Another option would be to use a modified version of the long-term care rule. Long-term care for ability damage would remain unchanged. However, for HP:

Urgent Care: You can tend as many as one patients at a time, plus additional patients for every 4 ranks of Heal you possess (see below). You need a few items and supplies (bandages, salves, and so on) that are easy to come by in settled lands. Patients receiving Urgent care can take no other actions during that time. Giving Urgent care counts as light activity for the healer. You can give Urgent care to yourself, but cannot tend to any other patients during that time.

While receiving Urgent care a patient gains Fast Healing 1. The Fast Healing granted by this skill increases by 1 for every 4 ranks of Heal you possess. The ability can be divided among multiple patients in any way the healer desires, but no fractional healing is allowed.

(For instance, Harry the Healer has 14 ranks in Healing, allowing him to give Fast Healing 4. His party has a fighter with 50 points of damage, a wizard with 12 points of damage, and a rogue with 23 points of damage. The rogue stands watch while Harry heals the fighter and wizard. Harry decides to give the fighter Fast Haling 2 and the wizard gets the same. After 6 turns the wizard is fully healed and takes over standing watch while the rogue trades places with him. Twelve turns later the rogue is fully healed and the fighter still has 14 points of damage. Harry applies Fast Healing 4 to the fighter for four more turns and the party is fully healed.)

Svata
2015-09-08, 02:46 PM
I'd use the NWN version of the Heal skill.

Ruethgar
2015-09-08, 02:57 PM
You know the heal skill can actually be used to heal by official content. It is hidden away over in Dark Sun, but with a DC 20 and one hour you can heal 1d8. You get a -2 if you lack a Botanist Kit and a -2 without a Healer's kit. It appears to have been intended for life shaped creatures but it does not actually specify. Sure it isn't great, but it is infinite out of combat healing which many people spend thousands of gold or spell slots on.

Honest Tiefling
2015-09-08, 03:40 PM
I'd use the NWN version of the Heal skill.

Yeah, I was going to mention the Heal Kits. I don't think the NWN version is balanced, but if heal checks require an herbalist's kit or surgeon's tools, it also doesn't take away too much from the magical healers as once again, not viable in combat. It also makes it so not every party can rely on it all of the time, if they are stranded or otherwise without their gear.