PDA

View Full Version : sneak attack noob

True believer
2015-09-08, 02:26 PM
hello dear members

First of all let me tell you that i have never played a rogue and i have never meet one in my tables ( I know WTF ???). One player of mine in a campaign that i am dming decided to give it a try.I did a little research in them but i am still confused with one thing: Can a rogue make a full attack with the sneak attack dmg applying to all of his attacks (consider that he meets all the criteria of the sneak attack)and if not why ???

ComaVision
2015-09-08, 02:38 PM
He can, provided the criteria for Sneak Attack are met.

LokeyITP
2015-09-08, 02:40 PM
They do. It's not really a problem unless you let them SA with weird things (exotic throwing that you can toss tons of per round or something like a handful of pebbles) or let them wield dozens of weaps at a time or something.

Probably don't let them book dive for SA feats that let you sneak attack anything, all the time.

Depending on how by the book you go, the skills are probably the bigger problem power-wise, but lots of other classes can do those too.

TheIronGolem
Yes. Sneak Attack is not an action in and of itself, it's just a property of all attacks made by the character. Every attack that meets the criteria, by RAW, is allowed to benefit from Sneak Attack.

Do bear in mind, however, that "only one Sneak Attack per round" is a common houserule among DM's who are bad at math and/or think rogues should only be picking locks.

Geddy2112
You are correct- this is why most rogues fight with two weapons, to get the maximum number of attacks possible and therefore the most chances at sneak attack dice. Particularly at higher levels, the majority of your damage comes from sneak attacks.

However, each attack must qualify for sneak attack on its own. This is usually going to be the case, but there can be special cases. With invisibility(not greater) your invisibility breaks when you attack. Therefore, if you only qualified for sneak attack because you were invisible, your first attack would qualify but the rest would not. Same thing if you got sneak attack via flanking, but then somehow during your round the flanking was broken, you no longer get sneak attack dice on attacks(unless you can somehow regain it etc).

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-08, 03:07 PM
With invisibility(not greater) your invisibility breaks when you attack. Therefore, if you only qualified for sneak attack because you were invisible, your first attack would qualify but the rest would not.
This is the point where most players and DMs mess up. You have to check between each iterative attack to see if the next attack still qualifies for a sneak attack. If nothing has changed, you should be okay to continue to sneak attack. But there are lots of quirky ways to pull off a sneak attack and some of them create opportunities that don't extend through a full attack.

gorfnab
2015-09-08, 03:46 PM
If it helps these articles from the wizards site may be able to explain sneak attack a little better.
Rules of the Game: All About Sneak Attacks Part One (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040217a)
Rules of the Game: All About Sneak Attacks Part Two (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040224a)
Rules of the Game: All About Sneak Attacks Part Three (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040302a)
Rules of the Game: All About Sneak Attacks Part Four (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a)

Part Three specifically calls out the number of sneak attacks per round

Number of Sneak Attacks

Provided it is possible for you to make a sneak attack at all, you can make multiple sneak attacks when you use the full attack action. For example, if you have a higher initiative result at the beginning of an encounter, your foe is flat-footed and every attack you make is a sneak attack. The same is true if you flank your foe.

Anything that allows you to make extra attacks during the full attack action gets you extra sneak attacks as well: fighting with two weapons, the haste spell, and the monk's flurry of blows are the most common ways of getting extra attacks.

elonin
2015-09-08, 08:25 PM
This is the point where most players and DMs mess up. You have to check between each iterative attack to see if the next attack still qualifies for a sneak attack. If nothing has changed, you should be okay to continue to sneak attack. But there are lots of quirky ways to pull off a sneak attack and some of them create opportunities that don't extend through a full attack.

If the sneak was due to an invisibility effect (not greater) then they only get one attack. If the rogue is sniping they get one shot to apply sneak attack to. There is a question that has been brought up if the rogue is attacking someone who is flanked (but isn't a part of the flank). If they are a part of the flank then he or she qualifies.

If the MIC is in use weapon crystals can be used to bypass the immunity of constructs and undead.

BTW as someone who has played rogues the two weapon fighting is a loosing proposition. You'll have a hard time hitting unless you are using a combination feat like daring outlaw.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-08, 08:37 PM
Probably don't let them book dive for SA feats that let you sneak attack anything, all the time.
If such feats exist, they've escaped my attention.

Crake
2015-09-09, 01:30 AM
He can, provided the criteria for Sneak Attack are met.

It should be worth noting that rules compendium added an addendum to this: One sneak attack per standard action. Abilities that allow multiple attacks in a single standard action (such as scorching ray or manyshot) only apply sneak attack to the first attack unless otherwise stated (such as greater manyshot). Full round actions on the other hand still allow the "every attack that qualifies, counts" rule, which leads to some interesting outcomes like a sorcerer with sneak attack applying metamagic to his scorching ray gets sneak attack on every attack roll.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-09, 02:07 AM
It should be worth noting that rules compendium added an addendum to this: One sneak attack per standard action.
Note that Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) makes an explicit exception which takes precedent over that RC rule.

Crake
2015-09-09, 04:38 AM
Note that Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) makes an explicit exception which takes precedent over that RC rule.

Yes, if you read my whole post, you would see I actually used that same example as exceptions to the rule.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-09, 04:50 AM
Yes, if you read my whole post, you would see I actually used that same example as exceptions to the rule.
Yes, but without the linky goodness.

Killer Angel
2015-09-09, 06:22 AM
Do bear in mind, however, that "only one Sneak Attack per round" is a common houserule among DM's who are bad at math and/or think rogues should only be picking locks.

It's probably an heritage of AD&D... if I recall correctly, you'd have SA only for your first hit (the enemy was unaware of you, yadda yadda).

RolkFlameraven
2015-09-09, 06:34 AM
It's probably an heritage of AD&D... if I recall correctly, you'd have SA only for your first hit (the enemy was unaware of you, yadda yadda).

Backstab is a different animal then SA in a lot of ways, not to mention getting multiple attacks in a round is not something most thieves got, unless you count going again before someone based off weapon speed.

IIRC the concept of flanking didn't work until 'circle stab' and that dealt much less damage then a true backstab simply based off BS being a multiplier like a crit and not just a fist full of D6's.

But its been a very long time and I might not be remembering that correctly at all.