PDA

View Full Version : Seventh Sea Character Help

Blackhawk748
2015-09-08, 08:15 PM
Ok so a buddy just showed me Seventh Sea and now im thinking about making a Character. Im gonna keep things to just the Players Guide to keep things simple right now.

Grainne Mhaol O'Bannon

Defining traits
Sorceress
Accomplished Swords-woman (thinking of making her formally trained)
Ship Captain

Role wise im thinking something similar to a DnD Bard, she has a bunch of crewmen under her and she makes them better at fighting, thankfully Glamour seems decent for this. Im probably gonna have her be a Full Blooded Sorceress, so theres 40 points shot, other than that i have pretty much nothing as im very new to this.

Eisenheim
2015-09-08, 09:36 PM
I would like to strongly advise you and your friend to make all traits start at 2 rather than 1. It's not really viable to play a character with a 1 in any trait, and if they start at 1, 100 points isn't enough for a playable character. My groups preferred methods were to start characters with 100-150 build points, 50 xp and traits at 2 with the racial bonus trait at 3.

For your specific build: sorcery and swordsman both eat points, so I'd advise against a swordsman school if you're going full blooded sorcery. If you really want to be a bard, consider using the avalon book, which has a bard magical tradition, which is focused on buffs. If you're aiming for fancy melee combat without a swordsman school, the best skill is dirty fighting, which has a few knacks you can't get any other way.

TheOOB
2015-09-09, 12:44 AM
Firstly, claiming to be descendant from The O'Bannon is very dangerous. You should change your family name unless you have a background you've discussed with your GM prior to playing. Second, being a sorcerer, especially a full blooded one, and being a good fighter are hard at creation. Second, get your traits to 2 if you can, it's a big deal. Otherwise just pick knacks you think will be interesting, and have fun.

NomGarret
2015-09-09, 09:27 AM
The usual 7th Sea build advice applies. After sorcery, drop 40 points to up all your traits to 2. Spend what's left on skills, not knacks. The cost of the two is way different before and after character creation. Buy an advantage or two if it's key, but after sorcery you won't have room to do much.

Blackhawk748
2015-09-09, 04:37 PM
Firstly, claiming to be descendant from The O'Bannon is very dangerous. You should change your family name unless you have a background you've discussed with your GM prior to playing.

Grainne is actually the Great Great Granddaughter of the O'Bannon. Obviously thers a great story to go with that. :smalltongue:

I would like to strongly advise you and your friend to make all traits start at 2 rather than 1. It's not really viable to play a character with a 1 in any trait, and if they start at 1, 100 points isn't enough for a playable character. My groups preferred methods were to start characters with 100-150 build points, 50 xp and traits at 2 with the racial bonus trait at 3.

For your specific build: sorcery and swordsman both eat points, so I'd advise against a swordsman school if you're going full blooded sorcery. If you really want to be a bard, consider using the avalon book, which has a bard magical tradition, which is focused on buffs. If you're aiming for fancy melee combat without a swordsman school, the best skill is dirty fighting, which has a few knacks you can't get any other way.

I will bring up the 2 Traits idea to my GM, he'll probably go for it as none of us have played before.

Also i was looking at Dirty Fighting and it looked like fun, so ill probably go for that.

Eisenheim
2015-09-09, 10:42 PM
yeah, the game really doesn't function without traits at a 2 minimum, and, as cool as it seems, you really can't afford both full-blooded sorcery and a swordsman school with anything close to the standard budget. Good luck with it, though, and I'll be happy to answer any specific questions as they come up.

Blackhawk748
2015-09-10, 08:30 PM
yeah, the game really doesn't function without traits at a 2 minimum, and, as cool as it seems, you really can't afford both full-blooded sorcery and a swordsman school with anything close to the standard budget. Good luck with it, though, and I'll be happy to answer any specific questions as they come up.

Ok so i looked through the Avalon book and im gonna stick with Legend. While the Bard stuff is cool its a bit weird and the Legend Knacks seem easier to work with.

Fighting style wise i am all for Dirty Fighting, its quick, simple and effective.

Edit: Also we will probably have all our traits jumped up to 2 base

Tyndmyr
2015-09-11, 05:16 PM
Ok so a buddy just showed me Seventh Sea and now im thinking about making a Character. Im gonna keep things to just the Players Guide to keep things simple right now.

Grainne Mhaol O'Bannon

Defining traits
Sorceress
Accomplished Swords-woman (thinking of making her formally trained)
Ship Captain

Role wise im thinking something similar to a DnD Bard, she has a bunch of crewmen under her and she makes them better at fighting, thankfully Glamour seems decent for this. Im probably gonna have her be a Full Blooded Sorceress, so theres 40 points shot, other than that i have pretty much nothing as im very new to this.

Glamor is amazing. Do try to boost traits, though. Traits are basically the best thing ever in this system.

Starting at 2/racial at 3 is standard, isn't it? I strongly suggest not modifying that, or things get wonky. If a trait is at 1, that's a *big* deal.

But yeah, traits should be at least two, and grab starting-only advantages that are sexy or skills with every last bit of your xp. Knacks all can come later.

TheOOB
2015-09-13, 02:04 AM
Also, ask your GM how long the campaign is, Glamour is very very good half blooded, and if the campaign isn't going to be really long you won't miss full blooded.

Blackhawk748
2015-09-19, 12:31 AM
Ok so here she is, btw the sheet is a bit of a mess, the numbers after are her ranks

Full Blooded (glamour)
Hubris- Reckless

Brawn 2
Finesse 3
Resolve 3
Wits 2
Panache 3

Firearms
Attack (firearms) 1
Reload (firearms) 1

Fencing
Attack (fencing) 3
Parry (fencing) 3

Dirty Fighting
Attack (Dirty Fighting) 3
Attack (improv Weapons) 1
Eye Gouge 1
Kick 1
Parry (improv Weapon) 3
Throat Strike 1
Throw (improv Weapon) 1

Commander
Strategy 1
Tactics 1
Ambush 1
Artilery 1
Diplomacy 1
Gunnery 1
Incitation 1
Leadership 1
Logistics 1

Sailor
Balance 1
Climbing 1
Knotwork 1
Rigging 1
Cartography 2
Leaping 1
Navigation 1
Pilot 1
Sea Lore 1
Swimming 1
Weather 1

Vendetta (Inquisitor) 3
Able Drinker
Appearance Stunning
Noble
Indomitable Will
Dangerous Beauty

Sorcerous Knacks
Jack 1
Thomas 3
Mad Jack O'Bannon 3

Total 110

I may change Reckless out for Lecherous as she is basically a fusion of Jack Sparrow and Aramis. So a bit crazy and a terrible womanizer :smalltongue:

Eisenheim
2015-09-19, 02:12 PM
you need more ranks in some basic knacks, like attack and parry. Right now your passive tn is 10, and your active defense is only 3k2. a competent swordsman will kill you quickly. It's cheaper to get basic knacks up to 3 with build points and pick up advanced knacks with xp later.

Blackhawk748
2015-09-19, 02:47 PM
you need more ranks in some basic knacks, like attack and parry. Right now your passive tn is 10, and your active defense is only 3k2. a competent swordsman will kill you quickly. It's cheaper to get basic knacks up to 3 with build points and pick up advanced knacks with xp later.

Ok Attack (fencing), Parry (fencing), Attack (Dirty Fighting) and Parry (Improv Weapon) are now all at 3. I am now much worse at piloting and navigating my ship :smalltongue:

Eisenheim
2015-09-20, 09:47 AM
yeah, but those advanced knacks at rank 1 only cost 2 xp, and you should expect that much or more from a normal session by the guidelines in the book, so you can get them back quickly, and this way you'll survive your first few fights.

Tactical advice, with a wits of 2 and a passive tn of twenty, don't worry about saving actions for active defense, it's hard to hit better than your passive anyway.

Blackhawk748
2015-09-20, 10:05 AM
yeah, but those advanced knacks at rank 1 only cost 2 xp, and you should expect that much or more from a normal session by the guidelines in the book, so you can get them back quickly, and this way you'll survive your first few fights.

Tactical advice, with a wits of 2 and a passive tn of twenty, don't worry about saving actions for active defense, it's hard to hit better than your passive anyway.

Thanks for that. Honestly i am the least visually threatening person in the party. We have a not-Viking wielding a Glaive, a big Usuran dude who will probably be a Shapeshifter, and an Eisen who is going to use Eisenfaust. So ya, the sexy Redhead wielding a chair leg and a cutlass shouldn't be getting attacked all that often :smalltongue: Still nice to know that if someone decides to attack me i should befine