PDA

View Full Version : Belkar fanart

Inkthinker
2007-05-12, 03:38 AM
I've been a big fan of the comic for a long while now, and a little random doodling this afternoon produced a sketch, which lead to line drawing, which ended up being a painting expiriment.

I guess it's a testament to the richness of the characters, that I couldn't help making it a bit of fanart for everyone's favorite Sexy Shoeless God Of War. It was the laugh I got from the ending to #450 that probably nailed it for me.

http://inkthinker.cryhavok.org/digisketches/Belkar_net.jpg

I almost never paint like this, but I'm sorta trying it on from time to time. I mostly still just fumble about pushing colors around, but this came out about like I wanted it to, so I'm not complaining.

I hope Rich doesn't mind me using strip #439 as the BG... I'm not much of a painter, so I punked out on doing a real background.

I liked the challenge of taking Rich's designs and fleshing them out while adding as little as possible... I added a pouch to his belt and took a few liberties with the design of his daggers, and I wasn't sure if he wore short pants or a kilt so I went out on a limb there, but otherwise I tried hard to stick to what's established by the character's design in the webcomic.

I think I might have also added a bit too much hair.

You can check out the lineart version here:

http://inkthinker.cryhavok.org/digisketches/Belkar_lineart_net.jpg

Which also includes a quick sketch taking on the final panel of #450... also another great Belkar moment.

At any rate, I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I liked drawing it. I might do a Haley next...

Holy_Knight
2007-05-12, 03:41 AM
That's really good, man. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

--HK

Inkthinker
2007-05-12, 03:43 AM
Thanks!

I just realised I probably should have posted this in the Arts & Crafts section. Way to go with the first post, huh?

:smallannoyed:

I hope some responsible soul moves it before the embarassment crushes my head entirely.

Ozark
2007-05-12, 03:51 AM
PERFECT. I mean man... I don't think it's possible to capture Belkar better than that, and the excellent artwork just makes it all the better. I love the b&w sketch with the skull, that's definitely one of the best things ever XD

Balathustrius
2007-05-12, 04:16 AM
Hey, it's Inkthinker! I've been a fan of your work for a while.

Kickass Belkar; I think you got the proportions perfect, which seems like it'd be hard to do for a halfling. Love his eyes. :smalleek:

I'd love to see your rendition of Haley!

Adrius
2007-05-12, 04:22 AM
You are amazing.

SKarious
2007-05-12, 04:28 AM
Wow! You got him exactly right. If the Cliffport police ever needs a wanted poster for the shoeless god of war, this is what they'll use.
Can you send a link to your gallery?

Liliedhe
2007-05-12, 04:38 AM
This really looks absolutely great. :biggrin:

Can't wait to see your Haley.

Balathustrius
2007-05-12, 05:09 AM
Wow! You got him exactly right. If the Cliffport police ever needs a wanted poster for the shoeless god of war, this is what they'll use.
Can you send a link to your gallery?

What about that weird thing in the middle of his face? :smallconfused:

Also, as far as galleries go, you might check out inkthinker.deviantart.com (Hopefully I'm not stepping out of line here.)

Inkthinker
2007-05-12, 06:03 AM
I added the DA link to my sig, but apparently that's not retroactive.

I'm pretty easy to find online, though... I'm one of two people on the entire Intarweb that use the name, and the only one who draws. A Google sends you right to my DA page.

I guess you're right... his nose is also a bit of a liberty. For some reason, I just assumed it was stubby and broken, like a prizefighter's.

Ashes
2007-05-12, 06:11 AM
Oh my God. That has got to be the best peice of fanart I've ever seen. Kudos to you.
Keep up the good work.

Spiryt
2007-05-12, 06:45 AM
This eyes...
they'r evil...
they'r great...

Althought i never imagined with big belly. They are for jolly halflings:smallbiggrin:

Reed
2007-05-12, 07:30 AM
Wow, really good! It really captures his character.
I'd love to see you doing the rest of the OOTS!

edit: And I think the belly is spot on. He's a halfling after all... :smallbiggrin:

zenock
2007-05-12, 07:38 AM
very very nice... I'd like to see more of the group in that style... and a completed version of the sketch you did with him holding the fire breathing skull! :smallbiggrin:

EllysW
2007-05-12, 07:39 AM
WOW. That face . . . How you can go from a stick figure to a realistic drawing, and capture the feel of it so perfectly, is just beyond me.

Wow.

Callista
2007-05-12, 07:52 AM
You totally need to do V! There are way too few good pictures of androgynous people out there...

SolkaTruesilver
2007-05-12, 08:22 AM
Why isn't he jolly?

WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY?

Superb art. Absolutely, it brings the life in Belkar Bitterleaf. However, I don't think it would really cut it, since I could not imagine you picture's Belkar weighting 30 pounds "most of it in the head". So he would have died hanged..

NeonRonin
2007-05-12, 08:34 AM
That... is a very impressive Belkar, and I love the glint you put in his eyes. Veeeeery evil. Very nice.

Still... what's that strange bump in the middle of his face, between his eyes and mouth? That just doesn't look realistic at all. :smallbiggrin:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-12, 08:35 AM
Love the evil grin on him. Excellent work!!

RobbyPants
2007-05-12, 08:47 AM
Awesomesauce! This is going straight to my desktop!

happyturtle
2007-05-12, 08:58 AM
This eyes...
they'r evil...
they'r great...

Althought i never imagined with big belly. They are for jolly halflings:smallbiggrin:

It's not really big. It's only bulging out a bit because his shoulders are rolled forward. If he was standing up straight, you wouldn't see it.

Elliot Kane
2007-05-12, 09:05 AM
Wow! That's superb! Great job!

Attilargh
2007-05-12, 09:08 AM
Fantastic, just fantastic. That's one sexy shoeless god of war tight there.

Do the others as well, please? Pretty please? (And Miko!)

Ashes
2007-05-12, 09:34 AM
Awesomesauce! This is going straight to my desktop!

Been there, done that. Loving it.

hanzo66
2007-05-12, 09:47 AM
It definitely matches Belkar in many ways. The wicked smirk is something he would do.

Renx
2007-05-12, 10:03 AM
Totally awesome. Kudos for capturing the spirit of chaos and death that is Belkar.

When encountering descriptions of perky+giggly halflings, must refer to this portrait.

Adrius
2007-05-12, 03:13 PM
Now imagine you're V and imagine him kissing you.. LOL

Adeptus
2007-05-12, 03:54 PM
That's absolutely incredible! It's Belkster alright, from his massively muscled halfling arms to his little beer gut... and let's not forget the buzz cut. He looks like a brittish skinhead really :smallsmile:

Setra
2007-05-12, 04:11 PM
Nice picture

Inkthinker
2007-05-12, 05:27 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'm glad the consensus is that I nailed him as well as I'd hoped to.

I imagined his body as sort of barrel-shaped, thick more than fat. I've never been a fan of skinny kender-type halflings, even if they are the rule now... about the only time I design them that way is for publishing work, where it's necessary. In my mind Belkar is a hard and prickly little ball of muscle and spite, and I wanted him to look capable of slaughtering a battalion of hobgoblins with nothing more than a couple steel daggers.

I'm surprised that I've gotten a few mentions of the lump on his face, but nobody minds the ones on the sides of his head?

:smalltongue:

At any rate, the Haley drawing will at least go to ink, if not color, I can give you that ('cause it's already half-done). I'll post it in the proper forum, too, when it's finished... and if some kindly moderator can scoot this thread there as well, I'd feel better.

I'd love to send a proper-resolution version of these to Rich, if he'd like to make it part of the "fan art" page, but I'll be damned if I can find that elusive email address he speaks of there. Is there a better place for me to send this to him than these forums?

tensen01
2007-05-12, 05:34 PM
BOO!!!! :smalltongue:

Kidding, you know I gots nothing but love for your work...

Thunder-stealing hack

:D

Oh, and Richs e-mail is nowhere to be found... I've PMed him for the same reason and not heard back.

I don't know
2007-05-12, 06:06 PM
The only non-stickfigure version of anyone from oots that actually makes sense. Amazing work :)

jindra34
2007-05-12, 06:08 PM
The only non-stickfigure version of anyone from oots that actually makes sense. Amazing work :)

See Tensen's work... then tell me that...
*Gives I don't Know a very menacing glare*

Anmat
2007-05-12, 09:01 PM
That's absolutely amazing! I can't believe how good it is. It's the only non-stick belkar that i find appropriate for his character. I've been craving for fan art like these for a long time, i even wanted to do some myself, but i certainly lack the proper skills.

Again, amazing job, and i can't wait to see haley! It would be great if you could color her, but if you dont, that's ok and it would be very nice aswell.

PirateMonk
2007-05-12, 09:15 PM
Marvelous.

Sinewmire
2007-05-12, 10:20 PM
That is perfect. Truly, you've captured Belkar here.

His michievous/psychotic grin, the little sparkle of playful hatred in his eyes.

I love it.

Commander Hayes
2007-05-12, 10:25 PM
Pretty good. Makes him look more intimidating than one would assume looking at his stick figure.

Yechezkiel
2007-05-12, 10:45 PM
Humbly requesting Bandana Paladin art.

WarDragon
2007-05-13, 12:28 AM
Wow. Holy crap. That is... ridiculously good, and perfectly captures the essence of Belkar. After Haley, I'd love to see your renditions of some other characters.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-05-13, 12:53 AM
Inkthinker! Welcome to the Playground.

(I watch you...)

Shadic
2007-05-13, 07:00 PM
That is amazingly awesome. I wanna see Roy too.

Also, the design for the daggers rocks! Works perfect with what is shown in the comic.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-05-13, 10:31 PM
Comrade Gorby: Off to Arts & Crafts with this awesome piece of fan art!

Icewalker
2007-05-14, 01:02 AM
Damn, this is IMPRESSIVE.

Amazing job with it. Very realistic, looks accurate to me, and I like the expression.

Alfryd
2007-05-14, 10:04 AM
Most impressive.
Where is Miko?
We demand Miko.
Or there will be consequences, terrible and frightful to behold. Oh yes.

I'd love to send a proper-resolution version of these to Rich, if he'd like to make it part of the "fan art" page, but I'll be damned if I can find that elusive email address he speaks of there. Is there a better place for me to send this to him than these forums?
Rich mentioned a while back that he has approximately 1 million pieces of fan art to put up on the extras page some day. So, you may have to wait.

PirateMonk
2007-06-03, 09:46 AM
I wanted him to look capable of slaughtering a battalion of hobgoblins with nothing more than a couple steel daggers.

On that note, could you draw a random hobgoblin soldier some time?

TheNovak
2007-06-20, 09:21 PM
Holy crap. That is a freaking awesome picture.

Belkar's one scary little dude.

Lord Herman
2007-06-22, 11:57 AM
http://home.planet.nl/~hdgoede/tdg/StickArt/Rating/5star.png

Awesome. Just awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing other OOTS members.

Prince_Rohan
2007-10-16, 04:52 PM
Everything about this is fantastic. I can't stop looking at it.

Franklin Cain
2007-10-16, 09:23 PM
Magnificent! :)

I'd love to see similar works of the other main characters. Any chance of that happening? ;)

Franklin

Omicroncubed
2007-10-17, 04:23 AM
That is so awesome! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2007-10-17, 12:31 PM
Awesome!
:smallbiggrin: