PDA

View Full Version : Tales of the Otori [Books]

Jieze
2007-05-12, 06:07 AM
Has anyone else been enjoying the Tales of the Otori ("Across the Nightingale Floor", "Grass for his Pillow", "Brilliance of the Moon" and "The Harsh Cry of the Heron") by Lean Hearn?

Further more, has anyone read the fourth book?

Does it live up to the standards of the original trilogy?

No spoilers please! :smallredface:

bosssmiley
2007-05-12, 07:10 AM
Read the 1st one on the recommendation of a friend who, for all her wit and wisdom elsewhere in life, considers Tamora Pierce and J.K.Rowling great fantasy. "Across the Nightingale Floor" was OK. Couldn't get into the subsequent ones. Maybe the right trilogy at the wrong time for me... :smallconfused:

Obsidian Blade
2007-05-13, 12:57 AM
Has anyone else been enjoying the Tales of the Otori ("Across the Nightingale Floor", "Grass for his Pillow", "Brilliance of the Moon" and "The Harsh Cry of the Heron") by Lean Hearn?

Further more, has anyone read the fourth book?

Does it live up to the standards of the original trilogy?

No spoilers please! :smallredface:

I've read the first three, but haven't got my hands on the fourth yet. To anyone who hasn't read them, they are brilliant. They're more sophisticated then J.K. Rowling, I think.
I read them because my best friend gave tem to me as a birthday present ages ago. I loved them immediately, gave them back to her to read, and she hated them. They're those kinds of books.

However, I'd like to know how the fourth one was before I get it.

Kalessin
2007-05-13, 04:11 AM
Bad book, bad book! Sit!

Honestly, it was quite horrible. The story was quite loose, the characters unreal and so on. Or maybe I am too bitter. or the translation is bad.

Obsidian Blade
2007-05-13, 04:31 AM
Bad book, bad book! Sit!

Honestly, it was quite horrible. The story was quite loose, the characters unreal and so on. Or maybe I am too bitter. or the translation is bad.

Each to our own. I'll grant that the storyline was a little bit confusing at times, but I think you are far, far too bitter :smallwink:.

Jieze
2007-05-13, 06:14 AM
I'm with Obsidian on this one.

I always thought that some pre-established interest in Oriental culture was needed to enjoy the books.

Any thoughts, Obsidian?

Dr. Bath
2007-05-13, 09:20 AM
The fourth one is all right, not as good as the first, better than the second and third.

Funny thing is that I haven't seen it in any book shops, I only got to read it because my friend lent it to me.

Obsidian Blade
2007-05-14, 04:22 AM
I'm with Obsidian on this one.

I always thought that some pre-established interest in Oriental culture was needed to enjoy the books.

Any thoughts, Obsidian?

I thought the politics between the Tribe and the lords was brilliant. Generally books focusing on Oriental culture don't intrest me, but I thought it was really well done in the series.
I'm inclined to think the first was the best, followed by the third.

Jieze
2007-05-14, 12:58 PM
I've seen the fourth book on the 'net, none in my local bookery though.

Personally, I think the first is the best, second and third tied second. :smallredface:

knightsaline
2007-05-16, 12:42 AM
I have read the first 3 books and they are good. Lean Hearn is what is called a nom de plume for an Australian author called Gillian Rubenstein. i suggest you read her other books if you like her story telling style.

the 4th book i saw at borders a few times, but stupidly didn't buy because I had no money at the time. then when i did have money, it disappeared.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-05-17, 08:24 AM
:smallbiggrin: I've read all of the books in that series and I'd seriously advise getting the entire series. The fourth books ending made me cry, I rarely ever cry when reading books, so anything that emotes such a strong emotion in me is fantastic. Be prepared for amazing twists-SERIOUSLY

Read the books.

CarlieDi
2011-03-06, 02:20 PM
I cried at the end of 'The Harsh Cry of the Heron'. It was such a devastatingly brilliant ending! But I think all the best books and series' end that way. I have to say, the Otori series was possibly the best series I have ever read, and I would recommend it to anyone. Though, I have to say that out of the four of them (excluding the prequel, Heavens Net is Wide), 'Brilliance of the Moon was my least favourite. It focused so much on Kaede and I have to say that as a character she just annoyed me. 'Across the Nightingale Floor' was my favourite, and suitably tragic in its own way, it was also the only book where I liked Kaede. After that, I felt no sympathy for her as she was starting to be portrayed as a cliche 'damsel in distress' type.

endoperez
2011-03-06, 02:47 PM
I read 'Across the Nightingale Floor" in Finnish, and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. I have consumed lots of fantasy literature of varying quality, and that might have been one of the reasons. Fantasy books are fine until you've become overly familiar with the tropes, and afterwards, even well-written books can feel like retreads of things you've seen before. I'm sure the series would have impressed me much more if it was my first encounter with fantastic Orient. There aren't that many books like that, though. I can only remember one at a short notice: Bridge of Birds, by Barry Hughart. I liked that one, although it's probably quite hard to find a copy of it.

Knaight
2011-03-06, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't consider it great literature by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoyed it well enough. A lot of that was interest in the culture, particularly as Tales of the Otori largely avoided the parts of Japanese culture and history that appear so disproportionately often in other works, but other parts of that was a simple engagement in the plot.

Xondoure
2011-03-06, 05:06 PM
I read them while I was in Japan, which may have helped me enjoy them more than I otherwise would have because what I was learning about the real world Edo period filled in the cracks in Tales of the Otori. I have yet to read the fourth book though.

The Big Dice
2011-03-06, 05:20 PM
I didn't think they were that bad. A little obvious, but being a big L5R fan helped. The prequel, Heaven's Net is Wide wasn't too bad and it did bring the whole series round to a kind of full circle. I'd give them 6.5 out of 10. Not demanding, not challenging but a good way to pass a few rainy days.

Thanqol
2011-03-06, 05:39 PM
Heaven's Net Is Wide, the prequel, is my all time favourite book. It's also the singular most ruthless book I've ever encountered.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-10, 06:42 PM
I listened to the main 3 as books on tape. Have yet to get around to the prequel and ... epilouge book (I guess that's what you would call it).

The_JJ
2011-03-11, 02:20 AM
I read the first one.

Thought it was about as 'meh' as a book could possibly be. Technically okay, the characters were likable enough. It just had no real ability to grab me and pull me in. It's only 'hook,' such that it was, was this Japan-Oriental thing, but, honestly, swap the names out for something a little more Germano-Latin and brush aside a few references to rice fields, and it'd be basically the same story. I'd rather read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms if I wanted that authentic feel.

Anyway I'd recommend the Instrumentalities of the Night if you're really looking for a real world history with a fantasy twist. Excellent working knowledge of Late Medieval history or easy access to the internet recommended but not required.