PDA

View Full Version : Creating a magic item

kyz
2007-05-12, 08:33 AM
So, this is something I have never really ventured into before now. I am trying to figure out the worth of a magic item in mind and I am getting lost in the cost rules. So, yeah, I figured I could at least pitch the questions I have here. First one is, how does something having a certain number of charges per day on one of the effects effect the overall cost? The DMG says "Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)", but would that mean you take the total cost of that effect and divide it by the quotient of 5/whatever?

I'm sure this is very simple, but I am just hitting a block for some reason (like I said, never had to do it before).

PinkysBrain
2007-05-12, 09:07 AM
The short answer is yes.

For some reason you can't believe that is what the guidelines are actually saying though ... why is that? Do you think it's strange that an at will item is only a little more expensive than one with 4 charges per day? If so I completely agree, but then that is why they are guidelines for the DM ... and not rules for the player. The guidelines in and of themselves are too incomplete and just plain poorly constructed to be used as is.

kyz
2007-05-12, 10:17 AM
So then, if I wanted to have an item that allowed the bearer/wearer to use Alter Self at CL 3rd 4/day with a command word, by the guidelines presented in the DMG, it would go something like this:

(CL)(SL)(1800gp)=x; x/(5/4)=total cost
(3)(2)(1800)=10800; 10800/(5/4)=8640 gp for that effect of the item

Does that sound right?

PinkysBrain
2007-05-12, 10:38 AM
That's right.

kyz
2007-05-12, 10:41 AM
All right. And then, say, I wanted to add a +2 bonus to whatever ability score on top of that. Would that fall as the 4,000 gp that seems to be attached to such similar effects or is there something else that traditionally applies according to the DMG guidelines?

PinkysBrain
2007-05-12, 10:57 AM
Magic item compendium rules that common enhancements like that don't follow the normal 1.5x pricing guideline when put on another item.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-12, 11:51 AM
And the guidelines don't work well with many spells.

Getting truestrike on every attack (and unslotted) only costs 4,000 GP. A full heal after every fight only costs 2,000 GP when unslotted.

PinkysBrain
2007-05-12, 12:20 PM
Infinite out of combat healing is not a problem in the default campaign settings, wands of first level spells are very cheap.

Insisting on reading use activation as free action casting does make them unusable though. Wizards themselves usually only use use activation with spell reproducing items with spells with actual duration, where it isn't a problem. There is a simple solution though, don't use use activation in that way.