PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Hrm just how dangerous is this thing...

justiceforall
2015-09-09, 01:52 AM
I'm looking at (potentially, could be avoided) springing an Umbral Phasm on my players.

The danger level of the Phasm seems directly linked to just how many shapes I'm prepared to put into its repertoire, but the addition of the Umbral template has me struggling to accurately determine just how dangerous it is?

My party is two 12th level PCs, one a Fighter/Paladin/Pious Templar and the other an undead hating Ranger archer. Middle of the range optimisation within their classes. Smart players.

Crake
2015-09-09, 04:48 AM
I'm looking at (potentially, could be avoided) springing an Umbral Phasm on my players.

The danger level of the Phasm seems directly linked to just how many shapes I'm prepared to put into its repertoire, but the addition of the Umbral template has me struggling to accurately determine just how dangerous it is?

My party is two 12th level PCs, one a Fighter/Paladin/Pious Templar and the other an undead hating Ranger archer. Middle of the range optimisation within their classes. Smart players.

Well, it's worth noting that the phasm using it's alternate form ability would still be both undead and incorporeal, so any forms based on physical, strength or constitution related abilities would be totally ineffective. It's best use of alternate form would be giving itself a really high movement speed, high dex and a form with weapon finesse such as a legendary eagle. This, combined with it having the flyby attack feat, would allow it to have a really decent touch AC (remember it gets cha to AC as a deflection bonus) as well as a really good touch attack bonus on it's strength draining touch.

I would say it's CR10 is about appropriate, it's basically an amorphous shadow, so anything that protects against shadows would work pretty much the same. Whether your players can take it on however, depends on if they are able to prepare themselves accordingly, because if they don't have the answers to this particular encounter, it will easily be a party wipe.

Telonius
2015-09-09, 11:46 PM
Depending on how it's built, a Phasm can be pretty (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19662145&postcount=66) darn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19721277&postcount=103) terrifying (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19748144&postcount=130). :smallbiggrin:

Throwing the Umbral template on it ... it seems like it would be a decrease in both power and versatility. Either the Strength Draining attack applies only to the natural Phasm form (in which case it would forfeit a large number of natural attacks to get a single strike off) or it applies to all of the forms it would use - meaning it would be useless to change forms when all of the attacks would change into the strength draining strike (especially since as an incorporeal undead it has null strength and constitution). Incorporeal has some perks, but I would rather have the ability to change into everything from a Pit Fiend to a blade of grass.

justiceforall
2015-09-10, 10:21 PM
Depending on how it's built, a Phasm can be pretty darn terrifying.

Yeah no class levels on this one. Well short of the ECL of that one.

Either the Strength Draining attack applies only to the natural Phasm form (in which case it would forfeit a large number of natural attacks to get a single strike off) or it applies to all of the forms it would use - meaning it would be useless to change forms when all of the attacks would change into the strength draining strike (especially since as an incorporeal undead it has null strength and constitution).

I've got some questions up in the RAW thread about that, but no joy thus far.

Perhaps there's another way to set this thing up (a shadow full-shapeshifter), but simple is the order of the day. Got enough things in this adventure already with a billion class levels, no desire to do further work in that space.