PDA

View Full Version : What do the primordial elemental spirits want?

Madeiner
2015-09-09, 04:27 AM
Hi there.
I'm preparing a couple of sessions that revolve around the primordial elemental spirit.

Here's the story:

Faraleia is a fey, a friend of the PCs. She died earlier in the campaign, as the PCs killed an evil, powerful and scheming verdant prince and she was bound to him.
When he was killed by the PCs, Faraleia died, too.

Now, there's a chance for the PC to bring her back from the dead.
Her spirit is currently chained to a tree in the Verdant Prince's lands, and the elemental spirits of water, earth, fire, and air are torturing her and keeping her there. If the PC want to raise her, they must first deal with the spirits.

The question is: what could the spirits want from the PCs? They should propose a small quest (say 2-3 sessions total) before they let the fey go.
Also, the fey shall become a shaman if freed: her power over the spirits should depend on how she is freed.
It should be necessary to somehow "deal" with all spirits without necessarily appeasing them.

I have thought about two of the spirits for now:

FIRE spirit wants to burn. Forever. He is enraged at Faraleia because he can feel the link to the verdant prince in her. He asks the PCs to return the verdant prince's "soul" (being in planescape, he is now a petitioner) so that he can burn him forever instead. This one is easy, if maybe a little moral grey.
Appeasing him leaves a spark of the spirit in the fey, allowing her to summon fire magic once she's freed.
If the PCs dont want to let the soul of an enemy burn forever, WATER will propose to wash away the verdant prince's body and sins, allowing him peace eternal. If they do that, FIRE will not burn inside Faraleia and she loses the power to summon him, but WATER will be stronger in her.

WATER spirit is kind and refreshing, but has been compelled by the verdant prince to torture Faraleia's spirit. She doesn't really want to do that, so she asks PCs to go to an underwater font where the prince has imprisoned her free will in the form of a solid water bead, defeat the guardian, and free her.
If the PCs do that, she joins the fey, allowing her to summon supporting water magic once she's freed.
However, as the PC return, FIRE has another proposal. If the PCs let him burn the water bead, he will burn stronger in Faraleia when she's freed allowing her to cast more powerful fire magic, at the cost of her not being able to summon water anymore.

I can't think what the earth and air spirit could want from the PCs, and how they could interact with the other spirits to increase/decrease Faraleia's power with the respective elements.
Can you guys brainstorm some ideas?

Seto
2015-09-09, 05:09 AM
What about this ?

EARTH is frustrated because the vibrant, pained spirit of Faraleia is bound to his tree. All the torturin' and the sufferin' make a lot of noise, a lot of noise that disturbs the peace of the earth. He wants her gone. But the other spirits torture her and keep her here. So, unable to kick her out all by himself, he takes his anger out on her by joining the torture. Faraleia's bleeding spirit has created a Moaning Diamond (stripped of its powers as long as she's bound, or a minor Moaning Stone, or something like that, if you don't want your players to have access to such a powerful item). EARTH asks of the PCs to retrieve it from deep under the tree's roots (or maybe a Xorn has eaten it) and bring it back to him so he can destroy it and get rid of the tree's suffering. In exchange, Faraleia will be able to invoke Earth magic. But as they return, AIR protests that traces of such a suffering must not be erased, and Faraleia's pain should haunt the Verdant Prince. If the PCs let him bring the stone to the prince's afterlife, he will be strong in Faraleia, but Earth will be her enemy.

AIR used to serve the Prince, as WATER does, but he's already recovered his free will. He's actually trying to protect Faraleia from the other spirits, because he sees her as another victim of his unjust former master. But the touch of FIRE makes him hot and strangling, the touch of WATER makes him cold and smothering, and the touch of EARTH makes him a slashing sandstorm. Because of this, his protective embrace is actually as harmful to Faraleia as it is helpful. He asks the PCs to bring him a special mixture (made of Arrowhawk's feathers, shining dew and a special gas found in the eye of a tornado) and oint the tree with it, to make AIR pure and strong. If they manage it, he'll be strengthened enough to free Faraleia and stay with her thereafter, lending her his powerful Air magic. But EARTH has another idea in mind. If the PCs add a dash of dust to the mixture, it will instead banish Air from the tree and let EARTH reclaim it whole. In such a case, Faraleia would lose Air magic forever, but she'd be imbued by Earth magic as a thanks.

(I didn't understand if you want AIR and EARTH to just oppose each other, or also oppose every other spirit, but my story lets you do either, as both AIR and EARTH want Faraleia to be unbound and out of FIRE's and WATER's reach).

Madeiner
2015-09-09, 10:14 AM
Wow, thanks!
That is really interesting, and spot on on what i was looking for :D
Thank you a lot my friend :D