PDA

View Full Version : What skills do your paladins posess?

Elven Paladin
2007-05-12, 11:29 AM
I'm curious as to what skills come in most handy to those playing paladins. Mine are usually Hide and Move Silently...strangely.

Sir_Ophiuchus
2007-05-12, 11:34 AM
Move Silently? Do you wear armour at all?!

I have Heal, a couple Knowledges, and a maxed out Diplomacy. VERY useful.

Jewish_Joke
2007-05-12, 11:38 AM
Jump and Diplomacy I find handy in situations. Intimidate is useful for interrogations, alas, a cross-class skill. I tend to multiclass any character I play, so with Pallys I dip into (urban) ranger more often than not, which give me a good selection of skills to choose from.

Mr. Moogle
2007-05-12, 11:39 AM
I made a paladin once in a two person party of a bard and i. I found it very useful to max out intimidate, with the bard song boosting me and the intimidate weakening them, it was a very usefull combo. also you can never have enough spot of listen.

DaMullet
2007-05-12, 11:40 AM
Me? I usually take Diplomacy and a Craft. Int is usually my dumpstat for pallys, so there's not much room for anything else.

Elven Paladin
2007-05-12, 11:41 AM
Move Silently? Do you wear armour at all?!

I have Heal, a couple Knowledges, and a maxed out Diplomacy. VERY useful.

Actually, I usually find myself wearing light armor. Bad things seem to happen when my characters wear anything heavier...

DaMullet
2007-05-12, 11:45 AM
sonuva...
Double-post.

Townopolis
2007-05-12, 11:47 AM
Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Knowledge: Nobility & Royalty.

Whenever I play a pally, I usually end up being the party face. I also find myself being lied to a lot, more than when I play any other class.

Yvian
2007-05-12, 11:48 AM
Ride
5 ranks of handle animal
5 ranks of jump

The White Knight
2007-05-12, 01:06 PM
It depends. If you have a sky high charisma, and you're interested in picking up a feat like Sacred Healing (CDiv version, aka the useful one), you'll want the required 8 ranks of Heal. This is something I frequently end up doing in lower-level games, taking a lot of post-battle strain off the Cleric.

Barring special circumstances like that, my Dimplomacy, Sense Motive, and Ride see the highest ranks, generally. The priority of Ride vastly depends on the usefulness of mounts in the campaign (ie, a medium sized Paladin in a dungeon crawl won't be making quite so much use out of it), so that can free up some spare ranks to toss into some things like Knowledges: Nobility/Royalty and Religion, Jump, and the like. Usually, skills that aren't Diplomacy, Sense Motive, or Ride rarely hit max rank for me.

Leon
2007-05-12, 01:49 PM
No matter what im playing - Spot and listen are always amoung my priority skills, even if it pains to CC them

Amiria
2007-05-12, 01:57 PM
Turin, my first (A)D&D character ever (and still active) is a 16th level Paladin. His best skill is Ride (maximized) with synergy bonus from Handle Animal. After that come (in order of ranks) Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Knowledge (Religion) and Handle Animal.

de-trick
2007-05-12, 02:15 PM
i usaully take max ranks in heal because i take the feat healin touch that adds my heal ranks into my lay of hands

Toliudar
2007-05-12, 02:39 PM
Ride. Definitely ride. I've never played a paladin that the rest of the group would trust to act as party face, so diplomacy etc have never been priorities. A few ranks in handle animal and spot. Maybe history.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-05-12, 02:45 PM
A lot of different ones, since I play paladins A LOT, but I almost always have Diplomacy and Sense Motive. :P

Sutremaine
2007-05-12, 08:27 PM
Second level: Sense Motive (max, plus UA trait), Diplomacy (currently max), couple of Speak Language ranks, and a few Heal ranks. Next level I start on the Ride skill.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-05-12, 08:33 PM
I've never played a paladin that the rest of the group would trust to act as party face, so diplomacy etc have never been priorities.
Did it perhaps occur to you that your problem may be causing itself? :smallconfused:

Seatbelt
2007-05-12, 10:36 PM
Did it perhaps occur to you that your problem may be causing itself? :smallconfused:

In behavioral psychology this is called a self fulfilling prophecy. We often end up being what we see ourselves being. Likewise, people often see us the way we see ourselves. So if his paladin is a poor diplomat, it may be because he sees himself as a poor diplomat. Aaah circular logic! Darn you finals week! Darn you to the abyss!!!

Dhavaer
2007-05-13, 12:13 AM
Craft and I think Diplomacy were the skills I gave the only paladin I've so far made, although I think there was at least one other. I never actually got to play her, sadly.

Yechezkiel
2007-05-13, 12:33 AM
As a slight aside, what is it like playing a Paladin at higher levels (16-20)?

I haven't gotten enough characters to those levels to really understand what a Pld would do in a party later on.

Quietus
2007-05-13, 01:21 PM
Depending on the Paladin, I like to grab : Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Knowledge (Nobility/royalty), Ride, Handle Animal, Heal.

I very rarely make (not play - unfortunately I make far more characters than I actually play) a Paladin that doesn't have Diplomacy/Sense Motive, the rest depends on whether he's mounted or not, and how crazy awesome I rolled.