PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Refluffing Catfolk as Rabbitfolk

Thurbane
2015-09-09, 06:43 AM
So, if you were going to re-fluff Catfolk as Rabbitfolk, would you make any mechanical changes?

I can't help but feel Rabbitfolk should definitely get a racial bonus to Jump checks. Catfolk have a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks - maybe swap these out for a +4 to Jump checks?

Any thoughts?

Cheers - T

http://i62.tinypic.com/binpt0.jpg

Fitz10019
2015-09-09, 06:50 AM
I can't imagine Rabbitfolk without a racial bonus to Listen checks.
() ()
. .
x

Thurbane
2015-09-09, 07:03 AM
I can't imagine Rabbitfolk without a racial bonus to Listen checks.
() ()
. .
x

Fair point.

Broken Crown
2015-09-09, 07:21 AM
Holy Frith! It's General Woundwort!

I'm inclined to agree about the Listen checks: The big ears are as iconic to the concept of Rabbit-ness as the jumping, and probably even more important as a survival characteristic.

Which version of Catfolk are you using? There seem to be multiple variants. What other characteristics do they have? There are probably things besides skill bonuses that could be swapped for something more rabbit-like.

Necroticplague
2015-09-09, 09:34 AM
I'd say change the skill bonuses to +2 jump and listen, change their automatic languages to Common and Lagos, and you're golden. Not like it really has that many traits to being with (honestly, kinda lackluster for a +1LA).

Psyren
2015-09-09, 09:52 AM
I know this is a 3.5 thread but Catfolk aren't a 3.5-specific race, so I'll give the PF answer: (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-catfolk)

- The base racials all fit rabbitfolk quite well, including the luck and sprint abilities, so I would not make any mechanical changes there.
- The alternate racials, like the claws, climbing and curiosity, would definitely need to be replaced. I'd probably replace the Climb speed alternate with a powerful jump. Rabbits are fearful rather than curious so I would give them very keen hearing - perhaps a small blindsense effect coupled with a penalty to saves vs. fear. The claws I would likely replace with more speed, or free IUS for kicking, or a slam attack with the legs.

Thurbane
2015-09-09, 05:08 PM
I'm using the Races of the Wild/MIniatures Handbook 3.5 Catfolk.

Afgncaap5
2015-09-09, 05:18 PM
I know this is a 3.5 thread but Catfolk aren't a 3.5-specific race, so I'll give the PF answer: (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-catfolk)

- The base racials all fit rabbitfolk quite well, including the luck and sprint abilities, so I would not make any mechanical changes there.
- The alternate racials, like the claws, climbing and curiosity, would definitely need to be replaced. I'd probably replace the Climb speed alternate with a powerful jump. Rabbits are fearful rather than curious so I would give them very keen hearing - perhaps a small blindsense effect coupled with a penalty to saves vs. fear. The claws I would likely replace with more speed, or free IUS for kicking, or a slam attack with the legs.

I dunno about replacing claws and curiosity, honestly. I've owned rabbits. Those things draw blood, delightful little scamps. I mean, sure, a rabbit won't lunge at you like, say, a tiger will, but neither will a housecat. I can see a humanoid rabbit with claws.

I mean, we've already mentioned General Woundwort once in this thread... they're definitely not predator animals, but I say keep the claws.

Psyren
2015-09-09, 07:53 PM
I dunno about replacing claws and curiosity, honestly. I've owned rabbits. Those things draw blood, delightful little scamps. I mean, sure, a rabbit won't lunge at you like, say, a tiger will, but neither will a housecat. I can see a humanoid rabbit with claws.

I mean, we've already mentioned General Woundwort once in this thread... they're definitely not predator animals, but I say keep the claws.

I dunno - I mean, a human's nails can draw blood too but that doesn't mean we get a claw attack. I could see a bite though, those incisors are mean.

(General who?)

ThinkMinty
2015-09-09, 08:02 PM
For some reason, this made me think of the Viera from Final Fantasy's Ivalice setting.

Bronk
2015-09-09, 09:07 PM

Maybe claw attacks only usable in a grapple?

Tvtyrant
2015-09-09, 09:13 PM
My experience with hutch rabbits and having been a huge fan of redwall and watership down.

Give the rabbit the ability to jump from being still as if from a running jump, give +4 to listen, shrink claw dice, -2 to will saves against fear effects.

hamishspence
2015-09-09, 09:33 PM
(General who?)

General Woundwort is the primary antagonist of Watership Down (novel, animated movie, animate series).