PDA

View Full Version : Non-Magical modifications for Weapons and a feat.

Threeshades
2007-05-12, 11:38 AM
I have thought about weapons and the fact that (at least as far as I know) they are all the same except for masterworks, different material (alchemical silver or cold iron) and magical enhancements.
So what i thought about are little handcrafted modifications on the weapons. I havent thought it all through yet, so i only have the rough idea, but for example there could be something such as a disarming hook added to the weapon's blade (fashioned about like the little "hook" in this axe's blade (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG130.jpg)) that gives the wielder a bonus on disarm checks.
This is just one example. There could be other modifications also such as the additional small blade on the bottom end of the axe shown in the picture above that might be useful for something (i dont know yet what).

But using such modifications on wepaons would require a feat to balance it. A character who doesn't have the feat to use a disarming hook on the specific weapon could only use it as a normal weapon.

What do you think about this idea? And do you maybe have other ideas for such weapon improvements?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And another unrelated idea for a feat:
Lesser Two-Weapon Fighting
Prerequisites: Dex 14 or less (but not less than 10)
When wielding two weapons you recieve only a -4 penalty on attack rolls with both weapons. If the offhand weapon is a light weapon the attack penalty is only -2. Your offhand still recieves the additional attack penalty of -4.
If your dexterity score is permanently increased to 15 or above, this feat automatically is replaced by Two-Weapon Fighting. If your dexterity score is temporarily increased to 15 or above, this feat counts as Two-Weapon Fighting as long as your dexterity score remains increased.

This is basically the two-weapon fighting feat from 3.0 I thought it might be nice to add this feat to 3.5 for characters that dont have to much of Dexterity. What do you think about it?

PS: i noticed i made a lot of double-topic threads lately.

Legoman
2007-05-12, 12:38 PM
You could always tie it in to skill points. Maybe something like this:

Disarming Fork: (Cost X), Requires Masterwork Weapon as the base weapon.

If your character has the Improved Disarm Feat, or has invested 2 Skill points into Weapon: Disarming Fork, the improved weapon grants a +2 bonus on Disarm checks.

The augmented weapon must be a slashing weapon, of the one-handed variety.

And so on for all the combat special moves - Trip, Grapple, Bull Rush, Sunder, etc.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-12, 12:48 PM
The feat is kind of pointless, TWF'ing is already way too feat-heavy, and any TWF'er who does it remotely well requires Dex anyway.

As for the small blade thing you suggested, theres a pop-out knife option in Races of the Wild that lets you use a dagger-sized weapon when grappled without needing to put away your one/two-hander.