PDA

View Full Version : Good divine feats?

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-12, 12:42 PM
I've got a cleric who is going to have Extra Turning (for Radiant Servant). Having 7 turns per day, and no reason to expect constant hordes of undead, suggests a Divine feat to me. The problem is that my cleric has no charisma bonus, which many divine feats are based on, and is going to take levels in a non-turning prestige class, so Divine Spell Power won't work.

The candidates I can come up with are:
Domain Spontaneity: Ok, but one of my domains is Healing already...
Sacred Boost: Becomes mostly redundant with Radiant Servant level 6
Divine Metamagic: Good, but with what? Also requires learning a metamagic feat first.
PHBII feats: Are they worth it?

Suggestions?

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-12, 12:45 PM
Divine Might and Divine Shield are good. Divine Metamagic: Empower, or Maximize are useful if you have nightsticks.

de-trick
2007-05-12, 12:50 PM
divine vigor-add 10feet to base speed and +2 hitpoints when activated complete warrior

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-12, 12:51 PM
Divine Might and Divine Shield are good. Divine Metamagic: Empower, or Maximize are useful if you have nightsticks.
Might and Shield are charisma based, and with a +0 charisma bonus I question their usefulness.

I wouldn't touch nightstick cheese with a 15-foot awl spear.

EDIT: No charisma bonus...0 minute duration is slightly sub-optimal I think.

Jasdoif
2007-05-12, 12:53 PM
I had this exact same dilemma myself, what to do with my Extra Turning for Radiant Servant. My ultimate decision was to take Domain Spontaneity for the Sun domain. Searing Light, Flame Strike, Sunbeam, Sunburst...it's like damage-based turning that also hurts non-undead.

de-trick
2007-05-12, 12:56 PM
disciple of the sun
glorious weapons
sacred boost

Morty
2007-05-12, 12:58 PM
A related question: what are nightsticks and in wchich book can I find them?

Jasdoif
2007-05-12, 01:00 PM
A related question: what are nightsticks and in wchich book can I find them?Nightsticks are a rod in in Libris Mortis. Possessing one gives you an extra 4 turning attempts per day, if you can turn/rebuke undead.

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-12, 01:07 PM
disciple of the sun
glorious weapons
sacred boost
-Radiant Servant
-Is that actually worth a feat?
-Radiant Servant, once again...

I had this exact same dilemma myself, what to do with my Extra Turning for Radiant Servant. My ultimate decision was to take Domain Spontaneity for the Sun domain. Searing Light, Flame Strike, Sunbeam, Sunburst...it's like damage-based turning that also hurts non-undead.
Not exactly the character's focus, but has potential.

Jasdoif
2007-05-12, 01:14 PM
Not exactly the character's focus, but has potential.Wasn't my character's focus either, honestly, but I never saw anything else that struck me as worthwhile.

Character-wise, I decided that since he was a physically-mediocre cloistered cleric, his faith would grant him the ability to overcome opponents in ways his own strength could not.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-12, 01:18 PM
Well with a +0 Charisma mod, why even bother with Radiant Servant? Why not just go with straight Cleric 20 and focus on casting instead?

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-12, 01:21 PM
Well with a +0 Charisma mod, why even bother with Radiant Servant? Why not just go with straight Cleric 20 and focus on casting instead?
There are two sides to Radiant Servant. The turning doesn't hurt any, but the free empower/maximize/maximized-empower for healing spells is what dragged me in. Enhanced light spells, an extra domain, and the positive energy burst are helpful too... Also, what do you mean why not go straight cleric? The Servant loses...um...1 HP per level. That's about it.

I'm slightly tempted to take Divine Healing, but it seems a bit weak.

Leon
2007-05-12, 01:33 PM
Divine Meta Fetta

The_Snark
2007-05-12, 01:46 PM
Go for PHBII divine feats. Divine Fortune and Divine Armor are both good, Divine Justice is okay, especially if you're likely to find yourself in melee. Sacred Healing and Sacred Ward might be good too; enhancing the range of your healing spells is useful.

Grizzled Gryphon
2007-05-12, 01:51 PM
Sacred Healing from PHBII is nice. With the pumps that healing spells get with Radiat servant, it certainly wouldn't hurt, either.

Jasdoif
2007-05-12, 02:03 PM
Looking through PHB2, I don't think I had it when I made that other character....here's my thoughts on some.

Sacred Healing is pretty dang weak. Compare it with Augment Healing in Complete Divine. Divine Healing +2 per die rolled and takes a turning attempt to use for one round, while Augment Healing is +2 per spell level and is constant. The +5 on Heal might be useful if you don't keep Heal maxed out, but it's an awfully niche use to spend a feat on. If you feel Divine Healing is still worth it, I suggest getting Augment Healing before you get Divine Healing.

Divine Armor might have uses. If it took an immediate action instead of a swift action it'd be better, though.

Divine Fortune is an immediate action, and getting a +4 on any save could be very handy if you're the one to be affected.

Divine Ward is weirdly named; it allows you to cast a touch spell to a specific person at close range (25 feet + 5 feet per two CL). It lasts for a whole 24 hours once complete, so this would let you cast all those touch-range healing spells at a nice distance for a whole day. You can have more then one in effect, so if you're playing healbot for a small-ish party this could be great.

Sacred Radiance, I like. +2 vs fear/poison/disease/death for every nonevil creature within 60 feet, and a -2 vs fear for evil creatures. For ten minutes for a single turn attempt. The whole "become a light source with a 60-foot/120-foot radius" thing might be obnoxious, though.

Foolosophy
2007-05-12, 02:27 PM
I hope you don't mind if I slighty "hijack" this thread (on some boards it is more accepted to post in a existing thread than to start a new one with a similar question....how is it handled here?):

I have got a similar question. I plan on playing a charisma focused human cleric of Sharess in a low level campaign (starting at level 2). He is almost a pacifist and has str 8. I plan on being a heal/buff bot with a hedonist's fickle personality.

Seeing as I am going to have a lot of turn/rebuke attempts each day I want to take some divine feats. My domains are Travel (Fly, Dimension Door, later: teleport) and Trickery (Invisibiltiy, Confusion...PaO and Time Stop IF we get that high, which I doubt).

Divine Metamagic: Persistant is out of the question for moral reasons.

Right now I was thinking

Level 1: Quicken Spell (H), Divine Metamagic: Quicken => for one quickend spell a day first, two after I get my hands on the extra turning feat. Maximise/Empower would be a bit cheaper on the turning attempts, but quicken seems to be quite a bit more powerful than maximizing one Cure spell.

Level 3: Extra Turning

Level 6: Domain Spontaneity (Travel) => multiple (and spontaneous) flight / tactic spells such as fly and DD seem too good to pass on

Level 9: Divine Ward or Divine Fortune or Extra Turning

Any suggestions?
Or should I wait with Quicken, seeing as the first few levels I will run out of spells per day very quickly (despite having a wand of CLW).

Then I could do it this way:

1: Divine Ward, Extra Turning => most allies can be healed from "afar"
3: Domain Spontaneity(Travel) => only stats getting useful after I get 3rd or 4th level spells :(
6: Quicken Spell => will only get useful 3 levels later :(
9: Divine Metamagic: Quicken

On the other hand I am still a bit afraid that quicken spell will not be as useful as I think, seeing as the most common applications of quicken on these boards are either found with high level wizards or cleric melee builds piling on tons of self-buffs.

Therefore my 3rd feat idea:

1: Extra Turning, Divine Ward
3: Domain Spontaneity (Trickery) => for invisibilty and disguise self
6: Domain Spontaneity (Travel) => see above
9: Extra Turning, Divine Fortune

this build lacks quicken but can heal allies afar, spontaneously cast all domain spells and either has lots of turning attempts or slightly fewer attempts and good saving throw boosts.

sorry for the lengthy post but i have been thinking about these three variants for a couple of days and just can't decide for myself :(

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-12, 08:42 PM
Sacred Healing is pretty dang weak. Compare it with Augment Healing in Complete Divine. Divine Healing +2 per die rolled and takes a turning attempt to use for one round, while Augment Healing is +2 per spell level and is constant. The +5 on Heal might be useful if you don't keep Heal maxed out, but it's an awfully niche use to spend a feat on. If you feel Divine Healing is still worth it, I suggest getting Augment Healing before you get Divine Healing.
Well, I do already have Augment Healing...

Either Radiance or Ward might be a good idea, I suppose, and they fit well enough. Though I'm not all that impressed with the effects of Radiance, and Ward can be partially duplicated with Greater Status (which I currently can't find...). Armor and Fortune are...possible, but they seem like they'd chew up turning attempts fast if used.

Grizzled Gryphon
2007-05-12, 09:06 PM
Augment Healing and Sacred Healing stack. Makes for good healing. In practice, though, Sacred Healing isn't exactly optimal. However, with your poor cha I thought it might fit what you were looking for.