PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spheres Occultist

Vhaidara
2015-09-09, 12:37 PM
So, I was making a Harry Dresden style character, using he Occultist class from Occult Adventures. Then the GM said he was allowing Spheres of Power, so I made aa Spheres Occultist.

There is still some work to be done (Reality and Nature implements, for starters), but I think I have a solid conversion focused more on the spirit of the class.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-j6m4uGcLXIpXaLDfTY-gEkthGD9kmpegBT1_vSL-5o/edit?usp=docslist_api

I also included some other items: Thought and Emotion component drawbacks (will clean up the wording, right now its copy-paste from Occult Adventures) and a new boon, Emotional Magic.

RedOndjage
2015-09-13, 04:54 PM
Does the Sphere Occultist gain access to the base spheres when he gains an implement with those spheres associated with it? Or does he need to spend one of the talents he gains through caster level progression/implement progression/focus talent progression to unlock one of those base spheres? I'm assuming it's the latter interpretation.

Also, the Sphere Occultist gets access to 27 talents, and full caster levels. It seems that the Sphere Occultist is significantly stronger than the base occultist it replaces. The sixth level casters who were converted into SoP all received mid level casting in the SoP system. Is there a reason that you broke that pattern with the Sphere Occultist?

Edit: Also, does the Sphere Occultist still get knacks? Perhaps they could get the Cantrips SoP feat in place of them?

Vhaidara
2015-09-13, 05:27 PM
Still needs to select the sphere.

The trick is that they are reliant on their implements to be full casters. If you get captured, sundered, or disarmed (or hit with a status that makes you drop things), then you drop to a low caster. I personally see the Ocultist as "Build your own pseudo-full caster", such as Elementalist or Eliciter: You have the spheres that you pick up implements for, and those are the focus of your build. Outside of that, you're not much in the way of a caster.

I'm also considering adding mandatory Focus Casting drawback

RedOndjage
2015-09-14, 08:42 PM
Honestly, the focus caster drawback is pretty much baked into the class for all intents and purposes. And yeah, it's definitely a "build your own pseudo caster" kinda class now. I like it a lot, I was just thinking that some players might think giving them full casting is a bit much, in addition to all those talents. What about my suggestion to replace knacks with the Cantrips feat?

Vhaidara
2015-09-14, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I need to add that. I have a running houserule that everyone gets 2 free feats for concept enabling (things like Weapon Finesse, Cantrips, Skill Focus, Spellcrafting, Ritual Caster, etc)

zautos
2016-01-27, 05:37 PM
So, I was making a Harry Dresden style character, using he Occultist class from Occult Adventures. Then the GM said he was allowing Spheres of Power, so I made aa Spheres Occultist.

There is still some work to be done (Reality and Nature implements, for starters), but I think I have a solid conversion focused more on the spirit of the class.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-j6m4uGcLXIpXaLDfTY-gEkthGD9kmpegBT1_vSL-5o/edit?usp=docslist_api

I also included some other items: Thought and Emotion component drawbacks (will clean up the wording, right now its copy-paste from Occult Adventures) and a new boon, Emotional Magic.

A normal occultist is a mid caster and here it's a low/high caster. it has the DC from a full caster and the spell points from a low caster when it is using it's implements.

Vhaidara
2016-01-27, 06:03 PM
No, the normal occultist is a vancian caster. Caster level is a lot more important in Spheres than Vancian, to the point that most low caster options are severely restricted.

Also, all casters have the same spell points: Class Level + Casting mod.

The idea I was going for with this is that you have your implements, which determine your focus. If you lose your implements, you are crippled. If you take talents outside of your implements, they are very weak.

zautos
2016-01-28, 12:07 PM
New implements
Reality: Warp + Time
Nature: Nature + Weather

They don't have any Resonant Powers or Base Focus Powers or Focus Powers
Are you going to make some?

Vhaidara
2016-01-28, 06:57 PM
My plan is to make them at some point, but this is currently a homebrew project for my own amusement. My main focus right now is writing the Conjuration Handbook. If I end up in charge of Occult Spheres after that, this will move up in my priorities list.

digiman619
2016-02-12, 05:17 AM
I know that it's not what you're making, but Dresden needs to use power points rather than vancian casting. It make so much sense, as in the earlier books he tired really easily. The pyrofugo spell is obviously an augmented Energy Missile. He even had a belt that he had previously stored energy to recharge!

Vhaidara
2016-02-12, 03:55 PM
I know that it's not what you're making, but Dresden needs to use power points rather than vancian casting. It make so much sense, as in the earlier books he tired really easily. The pyrofugo spell is obviously an augmented Energy Missile. He even had a belt that he had previously stored energy to recharge!

I mean, this doesn't use power points OR vancian casting. In this case, I would set Dresden up as someone with the Overcharge Boon, and Pyrofuego was an overcharge, metamagiced Destructive Blast.