PDA

View Full Version : Shapechanger subtype and Alternate Form

Aplostor
2015-09-09, 05:04 PM
Is there any creature (+0 or +1 LA) with the Shapechanger subtype and an Alternate Form ability besides the hengeyokai (Oriental Adventures)?

Thanks.

ComaVision
2015-09-09, 05:09 PM
You need the ability to be specifically called Alternate Form? May I ask why?

Aplostor
2015-09-09, 05:19 PM
I was wondering if there is any creature (or, even better, a template) which could allow something like this:

Warblade 4/ Warshaper 3/ Shapeshifter 1/ Master of Many Forms X

In order to do something like this, I need a race (or a template) which these requirements:

Special: Must be able to change shape in one of the following five ways:
Change shape supernatural ability (aranea, hound archon, barghest, doppelganger, rakshasa, slaad).
Shapechanger subtype (lycanthropes, phasm).
Polymorph as a spell-like ability (astral deva, planetar, solar, couatl, marilith, bronze dragon, gold dragon, silver dragon, efreeti, leonal guardinal, night hag, ogre mage, pixie).
Able to cast the Polymorph spell.
Wild shape or similar class feature (bear warrior, druid).

Special: Alternate Form—Must either know polymorph self or have a natural alternate form, alter self, polymorph self, or shapechange ability.
The Shapeshifter is from Oriental Adventures.

ComaVision
2015-09-09, 05:22 PM
I would argue that the Tibbit and Shifter races both qualify via Feline Transformation and Shifting, respectively.

Aplostor
2015-09-09, 05:29 PM
The Tibbit is perfect, because Feline Transformation refers Polymorph. Shifting, however, never does (the Shapeshifter asks for Alternate Form, Alter Self, Polymorph or Shapechange).
Thanks for the Tibbit!

Ellowryn
2015-09-09, 06:10 PM
The Tibbit is perfect, because Feline Transformation refers Polymorph. Shifting, however, never does (the Shapeshifter asks for Alternate Form, Alter Self, Polymorph or Shapechange).
Thanks for the Tibbit!

Shifters, and Changelings, have the Shapechanger subtype as per MM3 (which is the newest printing of the races) and therefore qualify for taking the PrC when they meat the other requirements.

Also, MoMF specifically requires the Wild Shape class feature, so technically the only way to qualify is 5 levels of druid or wildshape ranger. A less liberal meaning means that the vampire lord or the Mulhorandi Divine Minion template can get you in, but DM millage may vary.

Necroticplague
2015-09-09, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the Tibbit!

Note the other parts of the requirement. Having the Shapechanger subtype is, in and of itself, enough to qualify.

Chronos
2015-09-09, 09:57 PM
A shifter warshaper is problematic: Shifters undoubtedly meet the prerequisite for taking the class, since they have the shapechanger subtype, but the class features only work when you're in a form other than your own, and shifting probably doesn't qualify for that (when shifting, you're in your own form, just with longer teeth or nails or whatever). And even if you do judge that shifting qualifies, you've got a limited number of uses per day, and the class is a lot less appealing if it only works for that limited time.

Changeling warshapers don't have a problem, though.

And I don't think that either race actually qualifies by itself for the Shapeshifter prestige class, though you could maybe argue it with your DM.

Aplostor
2015-09-10, 01:43 AM
Shifters, and Changelings, have the Shapechanger subtype as per MM3 (which is the newest printing of the races) and therefore qualify for taking the PrC when they meat the other requirements.

Also, MoMF specifically requires the Wild Shape class feature, so technically the only way to qualify is 5 levels of druid or wildshape ranger. A less liberal meaning means that the vampire lord or the Mulhorandi Divine Minion template can get you in, but DM millage may vary.
Shifters and changelings can enter the Warshaper PrC, but cannot enter Shapeshifter PrC.
To qualify for taking the MoMF, a single Shapeshifter level (from Oriental Adventures) is enough, that's why I need an Alternate Form ability (or something like that).

Note the other parts of the requirement. Having the Shapechanger subtype is, in and of itself, enough to qualify.
Yes, the Shapechanger subtype meets the requirements for Warshaper, but not for Shapeshifter PrC.

A shifter warshaper is problematic: Shifters undoubtedly meet the prerequisite for taking the class, since they have the shapechanger subtype, but the class features only work when you're in a form other than your own, and shifting probably doesn't qualify for that (when shifting, you're in your own form, just with longer teeth or nails or whatever). And even if you do judge that shifting qualifies, you've got a limited number of uses per day, and the class is a lot less appealing if it only works for that limited time.

Changeling warshapers don't have a problem, though.

And I don't think that either race actually qualifies by itself for the Shapeshifter prestige class, though you could maybe argue it with your DM.
I only need to enter the PrC, then the Shapeshifter's Wild Shape will be enough.

Jowgen
2015-09-10, 06:00 PM
Touchstone (Sandstorm) and Planar Touchstone (MotP) let you pick up the ability of the Wereglade (MotP). The Lycantropy stuff it gives you is temporary, but it specifically states that you keep the Shapechanger subtype. As a bonus, you can then pick some other location. Oxyrnchus and the Catalogues of Enlightenment are particularly juicy options. Or hey, even retrain the feat if possible.

It's by far the least cost intensive option to just get that subtype, hands down.