PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder (Pathfinder) Unchained Barbarian & Raging Vitality

punchbeard
2015-09-09, 05:40 PM
Here's an odd problem about the unchained rules.
One of the major benefits of going unchained is the temporary HP during a rage, rather than the CON bonus that can kill you when your rage ends. For anyone who isn't aware of the regular class features, the flat HP increase from raging is lost if you go unconscious, so you effectively lose additional HP. The traditional solution is to take Raging Vitality (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/raging-vitality), but I suppose that the designers of unchained wanted to let players avoid spending an extra feat.

However, even if the unchained barbarian doesn't necessarily benefit from the CON-related effects of Raging Vitality, the feat is still good because you can rage once you pass out. This means that your rage powers remain active. Plus, you don't incur fatigue since the rage didn't end, so if you get healed, then you're back in the fight. Otherwise, you'd be useless for the rest of combat, and that's no fun. So, here are my questions:
Can the unchained barbarian get Raging Vitality?
Do you think the RAW explicitly forbid this, or could this be a GM decision?
Alternatively, is there an unchained version of this ability?

My suggestion would be to allow the feat. But, the character doesn't get the extra CON bonus, since it would be increasing a bonus that an unchained barbarian doesn't already have. I think this is a fair tradeoff. What do you folks think?

Ssalarn
2015-09-09, 05:54 PM
Here's an odd problem about the unchained rules.
One of the major benefits of going unchained is the temporary HP during a rage, rather than the CON bonus that can kill you when your rage ends. For anyone who isn't aware of the regular class features, the flat HP increase from raging is lost if you go unconscious, so you effectively lose additional HP. The traditional solution is to take Raging Vitality (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/raging-vitality), but I suppose that the designers of unchained wanted to let players avoid spending an extra feat.

However, even if the unchained barbarian doesn't necessarily benefit from the CON-related effects of Raging Vitality, the feat is still good because you can rage once you pass out. This means that your rage powers remain active. Plus, you don't incur fatigue since the rage didn't end, so if you get healed, then you're back in the fight. Otherwise, you'd be useless for the rest of combat, and that's no fun. So, here are my questions:
Can the unchained barbarian get Raging Vitality?
Do you think the RAW explicitly forbid this, or could this be a GM decision?
Alternatively, is there an unchained version of this ability?

My suggestion would be to allow the feat. But, the character doesn't get the extra CON bonus, since it would be increasing a bonus that an unchained barbarian doesn't already have. I think this is a fair tradeoff. What do you folks think?

Seems like it works RAW, and it's essentially a feat that gives Barbarians a version of the orc's Ferocity, so I don't think it's unbalancing. I'd probably allow it.

Susano-wo
2015-09-09, 07:01 PM
The only ambiguous part/conflict is that it references your morale bonus to CON, which you don't get as an Unchained Barbarian. The resolution would be either to ignore that part, or give you 2 extra temp HP per level (what I would do), or, I suppose, give you a +2 morale bonus to CON (which seems to defeat the purpose of the simplification used by the Unchained classes). I think the grand majority of tables will allow it and use the second, but I can see a more restrictive DM ruling that you don't get the extra HP.

punchbeard
2015-09-22, 10:37 PM
Alright, those are some good ideas. I think the only reason to take Raging Vitality is for the case where your barbarian drops, but a healer can bring them back to positive HP. Otherwise, they come back fatigued. I don't recommend Regenerative Stance. At low levels, getting +1-2 HP per turn isn't great, especially when you can just get DR and ER instead. At high levels, there are better stance powers.

Psyren
2015-09-23, 06:22 AM
Otherwise, you'd be useless for the rest of combat,

Well, assuming you didn't pack a 300gp potion or wear a 15k belt. But that would just be silly!