PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Societal effects of a global Sorcerer gestalt?

The Vagabond
2015-09-09, 08:03 PM
Let's say that everyone in the world gestalts with Sorcerer- But with the spell on their spell list determined randomly, with no option to retrain besides the option granted by the sorcerer option list.

Blackhawk748
2015-09-09, 08:04 PM
Let's say that everyone in the world gestalts with Sorcerer- But with the spell on their spell list determined randomly, with no option to retrain besides the option granted by the sorcerer option list.

This would be extremely chaotic, and kinda awesome.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-09, 08:07 PM
Prejudice against arcane casters would probably be non-existent, and it might be considered a **** move to throw anti-magic around.

Also, you'd see very little use of armor. Some peeps might take the feats or whatever to get around it (or just not use their spells if they happen to suck at the Sorcerer half of what they do), but most would just deal with it and get their AC elsewhere.

Nifft
2015-09-09, 08:35 PM
What kind of spell list are we talking about?

Core PF only, or can people get some of the really niche 3rd party effects?

Also, do these people get PF bloodlines?

The Vagabond
2015-09-09, 08:42 PM
What kind of spell list are we talking about?

Core PF only, or can people get some of the really niche 3rd party effects?

Also, do these people get PF bloodlines?

They'll get PF bloodlines, and maybe some third party bloodlines. As it is, all pazio, and the Complete series, and Spell compendium are on the spell list.

Nifft
2015-09-09, 10:10 PM
They'll get PF bloodlines, and maybe some third party bloodlines. As it is, all pazio, and the Complete series, and Spell compendium are on the spell list.

I foresee some people getting a career casting youthful appearance on various celebrities and/or prostitutes.

nedz
2015-09-10, 09:19 AM
It depends upon how lucky you get with that random roll — some spells are better than others.

Would they be able to swap spells every other level, after 4th ?
If so would that be random too ?
If so would that be compulsory ?

Sqmach
2015-09-10, 10:15 AM
It also sort of depends how well leveled everyone is. Normal assumption in most games, at least for me, is that the majority of the population never goes beyond level 1. Furthermore, I'd assume most people are going to have average charisma, not what a normal sorcerer has. Combined, this means that most people will just get cantrips, with a decent chunk also getting 1st level spells assuming they have 11 charisma but some also getting no spells at all because they are below average with 9 charisma, and then they'd only get their bloodline power. Its interesting, but they get nothing really powerful. The few people who are born with higher charisma would luck out and have access to higher power, but only if they ever actually leveled.

atemu1234
2015-09-10, 10:40 AM
You get a remarkably versatile set of people. Though consider giving people a little bit of control.

Reminds me a bit of Aberrant d20.

Sqmach
2015-09-10, 03:07 PM
I can also imagine that what you end up doing with your life may be determined by your random magical abilities. For example, people with damage dealing spells or mage armor might be recruited for the military, other abilities might make you suited to be a performer, some might lend themselves to thievery or spying, etc.

Also, for anyone important you may want to forgo the whole "random" aspect. It would make sense for certain spells to run in families, for example. Like if your father could use mage armor, you have a greater chance of being able to use it as well. That is if you go with the whole "inherited magic" aspect of sorcery, which makes sense to me.

Nifft
2015-09-10, 03:09 PM
It would make sense for certain spells to run in families, for example. Like if your father could use mage armor, you have a greater chance of being able to use it as well. That is if you go with the whole "inherited magic" aspect of sorcery, which makes sense to me.

The next generation of children heavily favored the spells suggestion and charm person.

sovin_ndore
2015-09-10, 03:54 PM
Also, for anyone important you may want to forgo the whole "random" aspect. It would make sense for certain spells to run in families, for example. Like if your father could use mage armor, you have a greater chance of being able to use it as well. That is if you go with the whole "inherited magic" aspect of sorcery, which makes sense to me.

You could add in 'bloodline' feats (probably need to coin another term for that as Sorcerer bloodlines already have a specific connotation) that specify a school or provide specific spells known.

nedz
2015-09-10, 05:14 PM
I can also imagine that what you end up doing with your life may be determined by your random magical abilities. For example, people with damage dealing spells or mage armor might be recruited for the military, other abilities might make you suited to be a performer, some might lend themselves to thievery or spying, etc.

But you have no way of knowing what spells you are going to get as you level up.
It does weaken Sorcerers quite a bit though since Choice of Spells > Random Spells

Possibly making them random, but have them all come from the same school ?

Oneris
2015-09-10, 05:55 PM
Everyone will eventually be Crossblooded, then Mongrel Mage, unless they start to develop clans around specific bloodlines and try to keep the heritage pure.

Sqmach
2015-09-10, 06:34 PM
But you have no way of knowing what spells you are going to get as you level up.

True, but I was referring to the general populace, which is likely not going past level one anyway.

Rubik
2015-09-10, 09:06 PM
PCs should be able to choose the spells they have access to, even if everyone else is random (for a given value of "random").

They ARE supposed to be exceptional, after all, and spells that run counter to their intended builds will weaken them considerably.

Pluto!
2015-09-10, 10:16 PM
There are a lot more talking birds flying around.

sovin_ndore
2015-09-11, 08:26 AM
There are a lot more talking birds flying around.
This is a valid point. Although some people would luck out, low CHA level one commoners with a very small spell selection of randomly selected spells from a wide array of sources would be as likely to have useless magical abilities as they would to have insufficient stats to acquire spells at all. What they would all gain, though, is a familiar. Useful pet/companions with empathic links which grant them a relatively significant bonus to a certain skill when in proximity and Alertness.

I think the game world could be introduced in this sort of manner:

Hello there! Welcome to the world of Pokémon! My name is Oak! People call me the Pokémon Prof! This world is inhabited by creatures called Pokémon! For some people, Pokémon are pets. Other use them for fights. Myself… I study Pokémon as a profession. ... Your very own Pokémon legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures with Pokémon awaits! Let's go!

nedz
2015-09-11, 11:59 AM
A global Bard Gestalt would be funnier, it would turn your game into a musical and have a similar effect in terms of magic.

2015-09-11, 12:06 PM
Everyone will eventually be Crossblooded, then Mongrel Mage, unless they start to develop clans around specific bloodlines and try to keep the heritage pure.

And then a lone Cross-blooded necromancer named Tom Riddle Jr. will...waitaminute...

Nifft
2015-09-11, 02:19 PM
A global Bard Gestalt would be funnier, it would turn your game into a musical and have a similar effect in terms of magic.
Bar fights are going to get downright terrifying if there's a live band Inspiring Courage on the audience.

It's really too bad there's no song to Inspire Workplace Productivity.

Baroncognito
2015-09-11, 03:19 PM
It's really too bad there's no song to Inspire Workplace Productivity.

Inspire Competence.

Nifft
2015-09-11, 03:21 PM
Inspire Competence.

Ah, good idea, but I think that's only single-target.

It's more of an Inspire Manager.

Ger. Bessa
2015-09-11, 03:46 PM
That looks a lot like the world of Lanfeust. Without sage dependency.

For those who don't know this comic, google "Lanfeust of Troy"

Any one living on Troy gets one power, be it making hair grow, making colored farts or forcing someone to dance (no saves). The hero gets "melt metal" and apprentices as a smith. The bad guy gets teleport.

But both can secretly use wish.

2015-09-11, 03:51 PM
Inspire Competence.

"Just whistle while you work!"
*cheerful whistling*
"And cheerfully together,
We can tidy up this place!"

"When hearts are high,
The time will fly,
So whistle while you work!"

legomaster00156
2015-09-11, 07:04 PM
It's worth noting that with sorcerous power so common, training in other magical disciplines would probably be basically non-existent. Why go Wizard when you're a Sorcerer, unless your CHA just sucks that bad? Why use bardic magic when others can do the same thing with their sorcerous illusions? Why form a pact with an otherworldly entity when you have inherent power at your fingertips?

Baroncognito
2015-09-11, 07:16 PM
It's worth noting that with sorcerous power so common, training in other magical disciplines would probably be basically non-existent. Why go Wizard when you're a Sorcerer, unless your CHA just sucks that bad? Why use bardic magic when others can do the same thing with their sorcerous illusions? Why form a pact with an otherworldly entity when you have inherent power at your fingertips?

Because if the spells you gain from Sorcerer are truly random, then going one of the other classes gives you a bit more control.

Also, Bard Spells are awesome.

Oneris
2015-09-11, 07:22 PM

Because the sorcerer spells you get each level are completely random, so good luck trying to gain levels when your only 1st level spells are Hold Portal and Alter Musical Instrument.

Edit: Ninja'd

legomaster00156
2015-09-11, 07:46 PM
Because if the spells you gain from Sorcerer are truly random, then going one of the other classes gives you a bit more control.

Also, Bard Spells are awesome.
Oh, no doubt, there would be people who would try other avenues of magic, but this setting would make them far less common.