PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Scenario: EMP satellite weapon and the worlds reaction

BananaPhone
2015-09-10, 03:47 AM
Hey guys,

I want to propose a hypothetical scenario to everyone.

I'm currently writing a novella in which a small but very technologically advanced nation, let's call them Nation X, puts a weaponised satellite into space. This satellite is capable of releasing an electromagnetic pulse large enough to shut down the eastern seaboard of the United States before requiring charging for half an hour to fire again.

For a further explanation on Nation X, have a read here:

This is an alternate earth that is almost exactly like our own, save for the existence of Nation X which exists on the boarder of the Caspain Sea and the Black Sea and it encapsulates a large swathe of Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Georgia. It's a very prosperous, wealthy and technologically advanced nation with a strong sense of patriotism and nationalism that has been forged by their neighbours constant attempts to take them over (they've been invaded, unsuccessfully, no less than 7 times in the past century by the Ottoman Empire, the Soviet Union, Iran and the Soviet Union again). Indeed, their national flag depicts a three corners of a triangle, each one representing one of the three national virtues: Duty, Community and Industry.

They've had no history of aggression outside of the founding of their nation and the establishment of their boarders (which occurred roughly in the 1600s). When they've been invaded they've been particularly ruthless, but fought their opponents back to their boarders, smashed their enemies ability to continue fighting them and then retreated back behind their own boarders. The last war they fought was in 1988 against the Soviet Union - a military campaign so disastrous for the Soviets that it was the catalyst for their collapse (in addition to all the internal corruption, dysfunction etc). Ever since, Nation X's currency has spread across much of eastern europe and parts of asia as the currency of choice.

Their relations with the wider world is frosty for reasons that that aren't really important for me to mention. A very wealthy nation from their technology, biotech and defense industries, they've bought a lot of foreign companies to further diversify and deepen their national coffers. With their economic tendrils spread through most of eastern europe, parts of the middle east and asia, combined with their technological sophistication, they're a nation that's emerged from being a besieged punching bag in the 1900s to being one of the most disproportionately powerful nations on earth.

They then exhibited ambitions towards a space program, inspired somewhat by the efforts and successes of Europe and the USA. The civilian wing of their program is currently preparing for their first manned moon landing. Their military wing, however, have just launched the worlds first weaponised satellite whose power to cripple a nation is hard to believe.

Some among the international community have likened the move to the Cuban Missile Crisis - placing such a powerful weapon of mass neutralisation in a position where it can strike anywhere on earth. Nation X rebuffs the assertion with a reminder that they've never shown military aggression outside of defending their own lands and that no other nation on earth has been invaded as many times as they have and that with their weapon in their hands they'll have the perfect, non-lethal deterrent against any future aggression.

Unfortunately for the world at large, Nation X never signed the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 as they were too busy fending off (another) Soviet invasion.

Naturally, Russia hates Nation X. Turkey isn't particularly a fan either as Nation X fought some rather brutal wars of resistance against the Ottoman Empire in decades past. Parts of Eastern Europe are a little warmer to them as they the nation encapsulates the combination of nationalistic strength and material success that they admire and their queen symbolises the ever-favoured firm-but-fair ruler (that they also routinely humbled the oppressive Soviets helps too). Western nations are more neutral-to-weary - they're receptive of their economic might, but the nature of their citizens makes for cool relations.

What do you think the reaction of the world at large would be to this?

Imagine that Nation X has been invaded many times in the past, and thus they are using the justification that they've been the recipient of aggression too many times and that they now have a non-lethal deterrent against those who would try to steal what is theirs. They've never actually invaded anyone in the past, but are particularly vicious and brutal when defending their own lands from aggressors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as I'd like to try and gather a variety of reactions, opinions and perspectives.

Thanqol
2015-09-10, 08:27 PM
Hey guys,

I want to propose a hypothetical scenario to everyone.

I'm currently writing a novella in which a small but very technologically advanced nation, let's call them Nation X, puts a weaponised satellite into space. This satellite is capable of releasing an electromagnetic pulse large enough to shut down the eastern seaboard of the United States before requiring charging for half an hour to fire again.

For a further explanation on Nation X, have a read here:

This reads like a somewhat disturbing nationalist fantasy. These are the bad guys, right?

What do you think the reaction of the world at large would be to this?

Imagine that Nation X has been invaded many times in the past, and thus they are using the justification that they've been the recipient of aggression too many times and that they now have a non-lethal deterrent against those who would try to steal what is theirs. They've never actually invaded anyone in the past, but are particularly vicious and brutal when defending their own lands from aggressors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as I'd like to try and gather a variety of reactions, opinions and perspectives.

An EMP blast would kill many, many people due to the logisitical breakdown, interruption of medical services, food delivery networks, etc. Using it would be an unprovoked attack on a civilian population with far more damage than Pearl Harbour or 9/11. (Ironically, the military would probably come through just fine and there is no other way to take that than a declaration of total war). Oh - and if a nuclear sub stops receiving messages from the continental USA due to EMP they launch the nukes. So the thing is like a crap nuclear deterrent.

So basically what happens is China blows the thing out of the sky, America backs them up, the UN slaps Nation X with a round of sanctions and Nation X's economy collapses. Doesn't sound like they have any friends on the security council so they're basically defenceless. Thirty years on they're either Syria, Iran or North Korea.

EDIT: Actually way more likely, America hacks the satellite, disables it, recovers it, and then the sanctions-economic collapse thing happens.

spectralphoenix
2015-09-10, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately for the world at large, Nation X never signed the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 as they were too busy fending off (another) Soviet invasion.

The Outer Space Treaty came about because the Western world was afraid the Russians were about to win the space race and find all kinds of military applications for satellites. If this country was being menaced militarily by the Russians at the time, I'm pretty sure they would have been first up to the podium.

BananaPhone
2015-09-10, 10:37 PM
Thanks, keep it coming guys - this is stuff I want to hear! I'll ask questions of you, but please don't take it as me challenging you on being right or wrong - I'm simply asking questions to develop your point.

This reads like a somewhat disturbing nationalist fantasy. These are the bad guys, right?

They're not really "bad" persay, but they're not really "good" either. What I'm trying to accomplish with the novella is something more morally grey. If you're not a citizen of their country then they're rather neutral towards you - they wish you no ill-will and would rather trade with you, but they've got no compulsion against giving you the cold shoulder if it's in the national interest.

Outside of trade they prefer to keep to themselves. If dictators use the weapons they build and sell to oppress their own people then it's no skin off their nose, as far as they're concerned.

I'm not saying whether they're right or wrong, but that's just the way they are. They are pretty nationalistic as you can tell :smalltongue: lol, but it's also that same nationalism that's helped them survive against hostile neighbours for so long, so they're very much a product of their environment.

Back on topic though! So you think that China would initiate a first strike against their new satellite? I ask this because several countries at the moment possess ICBM-equipped nuclear warheads that could be shot at other countries, China included, but there's an effort to disarm rather than initiate military action against these nations. With a satellite orbiting above do you think China would risk taking a shot at it, knowing if they missed or their efforts got detected and thwarted it'd spell pretty much the end of their country for doing so?

Again, I'm not saying whether you're wrong or right, I'm interested in fleshing out your belief :smallsmile:.

The Outer Space Treaty came about because the Western world was afraid the Russians were about to win the space race and find all kinds of military applications for satellites. If this country was being menaced militarily by the Russians at the time, I'm pretty sure they would have been first up to the podium.

That's an interesting idea.

I'm currently writing more on their history post WWII but pre-Desert Storm, and the more I do the more it seems like they'd have been at least frosty allies with western countries, such as the US and the UK.

Perhaps they came up with ostensibly reasonable excuses as to why they didn't sign it, when secretly they don't like the idea of being bound by rules that would only inhibit them later, when they know the OST would pass without their support anyway. That'd certainly add a layer of deviousness to them.

Thanqol
2015-09-10, 11:08 PM
This board has rules against political discussions, and I'm getting a bit too deep into international politics in my reply. I'll PM you what I wrote and then let the matter drop.

BananaPhone
2015-09-10, 11:10 PM
Ahh, no worries.

I didn't think I'd be breaking any rules so I'll just leave it at that then. Thanks for the reply guys :smallsmile:.

Thanqol
2015-09-10, 11:28 PM
Ahh, no worries.

I didn't think I'd be breaking any rules so I'll just leave it at that then. Thanks for the reply guys :smallsmile:.

If you want to make a thread on RPGnet (http://forum.rpg.net/forum.php)or somewhere I'd be happy to talk this over further but I don't think this board is the place for it.

Artman77
2015-09-20, 03:41 AM
I think a missile would be better than a satellite. A satellite is a sitting duck. And it's not just nukes that have EMPS. Russia has an EMP missile right now that could wipe out not just the eastern seaboard, but America's whole grid. One missile. One. And they don't have to get it to the ground, they can detonate it 22 miles up in the atmosphere.

On to the chaos. No offices, no internet, no cell phones. No instructions on your tv or radio from the gov't about what to do. People don't go to work. They want to see their families but can't because they are too far away and their cars are dead.

The EMP blast would fry the circuits in semi trucks which deliver food from mass farms to the big cities. People would rush the stores to buy food because it's an emergency and there would be no trucks to re-supply the food. The shelves would be empty in a day, and riots would break out the next day. Most people have less than a week's worth of food in their house, and would start robbing and looting to get food once they started getting hungry. The police force would be without power, communication, or backup, and most officers would probably forget trying to keep the peace and instead just worry about their own family. Crime would skyrocket. Murder. Rape. Looting, robbery, break-ins, assault, muggings, etc. It would be a nightmare.

Yeah, Thanqol's right. Using a weapon like that would be a declaration of war, but would the targeted country even be able to respond? Everything shuts down. Major military bases might have functional electronics underground, but how would they communicate with all of the other bases above ground? How many army men would be more worried about keeping their families safe from the chaos than mounting a counter-attack? The civilian population would have no infrastructure to maintain order long enough for the country to fight back. Everything would shut down. Police stations, fire departments, hospitals, pharmacies, everything. People get sick? They die. They get hurt and it gets infected? They die. I heard some people did a study awhile back on the mortality rate if something like that happened, they said 50% of the population would die in the first month, and 90% would be dead within a year. (the former due to violence, the latter due to sickness, infections, and starvation)

Interesting fact: in America there are only 250,000 farms that supply food to 350,000,000 people.

Also something cool for a character at ground zero; a faraday cage. Basically a EMP-proof box. Obviously a cell phone wouldn't work because of the dependence on towers, but a pair of walkie talkies could come in handy.