PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Character idea's/builds!(EnderDwarf please don't read)

ImSAMazing
2015-09-10, 08:48 AM
Allright Playgrounders,

So I am going to play in a 5th Edition D&D game and I will be participating as a player. I have played 5th quite a lot and I got all the Core rulebooks. The campaign I am going to play in will start at lvl 1, and I want an interesting character. Homebrew classes/races are allowed aslong as it isn't too OP. Please help me with idea's!(The party will consist of a Lore Bard, a Bearbarian and a Fighter)

Stormthroe
2015-09-10, 09:35 AM
Lovely!

A few I've been wanting to try, I'll share;

A dex-based, Wood Elf archer. I have three builds set up between fighter, rogue, and ranger, and the one you use depends on if you want to be damage heavy, utility, or a spell caster. I am personally partial to the bow fighter; reliable damage, plus trick shots as you level up, and can still be built for stealth. I based mine off of the Gondorian Rangers from LotR; not Legolas clones, but actual survivalists. My build has him running around with a rapier and net in addition to a longbow.

Another option I've been looking at is a Dwarf from any spellcaster class, but mainly wizard, and making him out to be a Runelord. His focus is, of course, on all things intellectual, as well as being a master smith in his own right. I focus mostly on protection and cancellation magics; I skin it in the same way as the classic "Dwarves resist magic" thing, and of course have skinned all of his spells and powers as runic magics.

Another option I've been bouncing around in my brain is a "sword dancer" wood elf based on the monk class. Rather than be the sagely type monk, my build is based on the Wardancers from Warhammer fantasy. Essentially, it is a monk that dual wields shortswords, or if you prefer, any weapon really, and uses dance as a form of combat. I only like monk for the abilities that reflect so much of the lore on wardancers, as well as all the nifty goodies for extra attacks added in due to martial arts. Due to the melee heavy party, this option may not work for you, but still a cool idea! Make sure to take the performance and acrobatics skills so that you can tell stories and dance to entertain, as well as pull off neat little tricks in combat.

Another idea I have running through my mind that could be fun is a Treesinger druid. This character would manipulate forests specifically, to have them enter battle on his behalf. Animate plants, goodberry; anything to show that the forest and its spirits are on his side. Anything else, if you take them for utility, could be some extenuation of that. This is a more sagely character.

Lastly, dex-based Vengeance Paladin, wileding a rapier and hand crossbow. Mandatory wide brimmed inquisitor's hat required. Remember that Lawful Good does not mean Lawful Nice.

Pyon
2015-09-10, 09:36 AM
Oh shiet! If you can play homebrew classes why not try The Artificer by this dude?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367999-5e-Homebrew-The-Artificer-(of-Alancia)

It's really cool!

ImSAMazing
2015-09-10, 09:43 AM
Thinking about playing a Summoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?430288-Summoner-Class-WIP-PEACH&p=19796510#post19796510). The class needs Charisma, any (normal) races I should use? The array of scores I will be using is: 8, 16, 12, 12, 17, 13.

Citan
2015-09-17, 07:25 PM
Allright Playgrounders,

So I am going to play in a 5th Edition D&D game and I will be participating as a player. I have played 5th quite a lot and I got all the Core rulebooks. The campaign I am going to play in will start at lvl 1, and I want an interesting character. Homebrew classes/races are allowed aslong as it isn't too OP. Please help me with idea's!(The party will consist of a Lore Bard, a Bearbarian and a Fighter)

Hi!!!

Ah, well, if only you created this topic just a few days later, I would have asked you if you were interested in testing my Elemancer homebrew class. Thing is, it's far from finished (core class is, but I went so far in some archetypes that I need to rework the whole thing for balance).

In case of, here is a teaser of the class fluff and main mechanics

Heirs of a long lost clan, warriors of the wild, the Elemancers slay their enemies through the use of a secret technique. Instead of spending years studying formulaes and chemicals or being born with magical power, they learn how to use their own lifeforce to grasp power from their environment to produce powerful effects, such as enhancing their own body, unleashing surges of elemental energy or deflecting spells with the use of their soul weapon.
While all Elemancers share a number of ancestral weapon-based techniques, every one of them chooses a specific aspect of Elemancing to hone and master, by following traditions of fighting conceived by legendary families from the lost clan.
Those attuned to a particular element usually choose the Tradition of the Five Primal Element: learning how to master a particular element (Wind, Fire, Water, Earth or Lightning) to gain specific and powerful abilities to mix with and enhance their weapon mastery.
Others prefer following the Tradition of the Warrior to keep a balanced attunement with all Elements through their soul weapon, becoming deadly warriors that keep their soul weapon imbued with elemental energy to empower a specific aspect (offense, defense, mobility) and use powerful techniques.
Other Elemancers, while also favouring a neutral attunement, dedicate themselves on the root of Elemancing techniques, learning how to draw even more power and to shape it into various forms, to always get the right use for any situation.
A few Elemancers, finally, come in awe with the refinement and raw power of arcane spells, striving to mimic them or at least produce similar effects through Elemancing attunement.

---------------
Mechanically, you can see the base class as Dex-biaised warriors (although STR-based can work too), a bit squishy in first levels, but with an auto-scaling ranged attack similar to a Chromatic Orb, and some points to spend on class techniques such as deflecting/reflecting back some spells, reduce their damage or even absorb them to create magical weapons, as long as they would inflict one type of damage among a specific list.
Beyond that, archetypes provides an array of (small) flat bonus, situational benefits and special abilities, sometimes full homebrew, sometimes mimics of existing spells (for the sake of simplicity).

The trick of all this class being that they have a very short pool of "elemental surges" to fuel their specific abililties. Once depleted, they would have to receive harmful spells to be able to use some lower-level techniques.
So it's basically an Elemental-fluffed mix between Battlemaster (for weapon attacks enhancements), Elemental Monks (for having a small pool of resources) and Paladins/Valor Bard (somewhat... let's say because you get nice self-buffs and a few burst abilities).

If you're interested, reply or PM me, I'll clean up my draft so you can get a peek at it.

Back onto the initial question... I'm not sure if you were favouring pure classes or multiclass, in latter case I'd suggest you to read some interesting and fun topics such as this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428409-MAD-melee-challenge&p=19554451). If you're interested in making a "Warlordish" build, there is also a thread on it.

As for homebrew, a few catched my attention, many develop interesting mechanics but you may want to alter them a bit to avoid OPness or be clear about how they work...
"Rune Blade (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Rune_Blade_%285e_Class%29)", "Luchador (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Luchador_%285e_Class%29)", "Hexblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415297-D-amp-D-5e-The-Hexblade-%28A-Base-Class-with-Three-Archetypes%29)", "Synthesist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?441146-5e-Class-The-Synthesist-%28Playing-Abathur-in-D-amp-D%29)", are all homebrew that each explore a specific mechanism, more or less original compared to the ones of official classes.
Enjoy :)

Thinking about playing a Summoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?430288-Summoner-Class-WIP-PEACH&p=19796510#post19796510). The class needs Charisma, any (normal) races I should use? The array of scores I will be using is: 8, 16, 12, 12, 17, 13.
EDIT: This post contradicts your first. :)
As is (linked pdf), the Summoner seems a bit OP to me.
With that said if you're interested in this homebrew, may I suggest a few tweaks that may be enough to make it "just" powerful?
Summoning CR: make it scaled as ("class level divided by 3, rounded down" + 1) from lvl 2 onwards, and cap it at 8 at lvl 20 (being able to summon an Hydra at lvl 20 seems "good enough" to me :)).
Bewitching: make both effects on success or fail lasts for maximum 1mn.

Don't have time to analyse the rest, but didn't see other cheesy thing at first glance.