PDA

View Full Version : (Gardening) How sturdy is lemongrass?

Togath
2015-09-10, 09:10 AM
After putting a pot of sickly looking lemongrass on the porch to get some sunlight...
My family's puppy tore off it's leaves.
It's base is still intact though... Is it savable?

Bobbybobby99
2015-09-10, 04:21 PM
With rare exception (and I'm not an expert on lemongrass, since I don't grow it) most plants can regrow from traumatic experience. I believe (without looking it up) that different lemongrass varieties vary between annual or perennial. If it's a perennial, it will likely survive without assistance; if it's an annual, maybe, maybe not. In any case, fertilize as much as you can without burning the roots; which is quite a bit. Water obsessively; small portions often, rather than large portions less frequently, totaling up to the same amount you normally give it. Don't do any dramatic changes in light, unless it is utterly light starved; it's a common mistake to place it in a brighter area, but sudden changes will likely burn what remains and prevent grow back.

But yes, it is saveable. Most plants can recover from nearly anything if their roots are intact, unless they are in especially sub-optimal conditions. That's part of why weeds are so annoying, actually; you need to dig it all up, or it just keeps coming back.

(Also, yay! I finally get to talk about gardening!)