PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The True Kender Race! PEACH

ImSAMazing
2015-09-10, 11:14 AM
Allright,

Welcome to my draft about the Kender, the most warm-hearthed race of the D&D Multiverse. Please leave feedback / idea's.

This race is inspired by the draft of Dark Sun Gnome (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?406198-Dragonlance-Races-The-Kender&highlight=kender). Check it out!

The Kender
Size Kender's aren't tall. They are as tall as Halflings, ranging about 3 feet high. Your size is Small.
Speed while you are smaller than all the Humans in the world, you are faster than them. Your speed is 35', because you always want to be the first at a new event.
Ability Scores As a kender, you are extordinary nimble. Your Dexterty Score increases by 2. Also, because of your always warm-hearthed, your Charisma score increases by 1.
Darkvision Being curious means that you want to look around at any time. It doesn't matter if it is evening, night, morning or after-noon, you want to look around. Because of this you gain 60ft darkvision.
Brave Because of your warm-hearth, you are full of confident. You have advantage on saving throws against being Frightened.
High Curiosity Because of your Curiosity in the world around you, you gain prof. in Nature & Investigation. You love the world, you love nature, you love everything.
Languages You speak Common, Kender and one Language of your choice. Kender's often choose the language that their companions speak so they feel that the Kender is interested in them and their culture.

Moredhel24
2015-09-10, 01:29 PM
Been lurking for awhile but this is my 1st post
Possible addons/changes:
1. make as halfling subrace; lightfoot variant
2. a core concept of Kender's is their ability to taunt ppl. So maybe know viscious mockery cantrip or make a similar racial ability that anger's target, imposes disadvantage on rolls, forces them to only target kender, etc.
3. also need something that further emulates their curiosity and habit of absent mindedly picking up things that aren't theirs. would definitely add proficiency in sleight of hand (Dex).

Check out: http://tribality.com/2015/08/23/kender-for-5th-edition-a-reluctant-test-of-design

eleazzaar
2015-09-11, 09:05 PM
I don't have much familiarity with the source material, so my comments are simply on what you've posted.

There's nothing broken or wrong with it, it is of a reasonable medium power level, and I don't see any loopholes in the phrasing.

However, it is all stock traits. There's nothing uniquely Kender here. I like the fact that 5e races tend to have something unique to each of them.

M Placeholder
2015-11-30, 06:20 AM
This is pretty generic and all stock traits, and there is no mention of the more, shall we say, infamous traits of the kender (fearlessness, "handling", taunting), its all pretty generic. Its not mentioned anywhere that true kender have darkvision. The Kendar (a kender subrace that live under the Icewall) have low light vision, but they are the only kender subraces that have it.

I redid all the Kender subraces a month ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?457590-The-Kender-%28Dragonlance%29), so that link in the original post is well passed its sell by date.