PDA

View Full Version : Belkar's Role in the Current Battle

ooOoo
2015-09-10, 11:51 AM
As of #1003 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1003.html)...

A. No role
A1. He's already dead Jim, the Giant is simply waiting for an opportune moment to show his broken lifeless body.
A2. He's not dead, but won't otherwise be involved in the battle.

B. Allies?
B1. He returns by some means, but alone.
B2. He returns with animal allies.
B3. He returns with other members of the Order.
B4. He returns with some other allies like O-Chul.

C. Battle & Death?
C1. He helps defeat the vampire without being killed in the process.
C2. He helps defeat the vampire but is killed (possibly by Roy after being dominated), Roy is sad (or not).
C3. He tries to help but is killed by the vampire before accomplishing anything.
C4. He tries to help but is dominated before accomplishing anything and Roy has to kill him.
C5. He takes part in the battle, but the vampire remains undefeated and Belkar dies, Roy survives.
C6. He takes part in the battle, but the vampire remains undefeated, Belkar and Roy both survive.

I think most likely are A2 or B1+C1 or B1+C2.
Defeating the vampire doesn't necessarily mean killing him, but would probably involve forcing him to retreat.
C5 and C6 are unlikely, because those would probably result in the end of the world ...

littlebum2002
2015-09-10, 11:53 AM
A2 & B3

I don't think he's going to be influential in this battle, though, because this is Roy's friend and therefore his battle to fight.

dancrilis
2015-09-10, 11:58 AM
For fun I will play a long shot.
He return's alone after the battle to a dead Roy and destroys a damaged Durkon before he can heal. Thereby saving the world.
After which Roy and Durkon get raised.

Synesthesy
2015-09-10, 01:24 PM
Belkar isn't dead.
Belkar will come back alone (he, as a bodyguard, is the only one that can attack Durkula)
Belkar will sacrifice himself to make Roy defeat (not kill) Durkula... only that Belkar won't die as expected, and they will continue theyr jurney to follow and kill Durkula and to raise Durkon in Dwarven Land. This will take all the book.

If Belkar is going to die, he will die at the very end of Order's quest. Unless, you know, he won't die, just stop breathing.

littlebum2002
2015-09-10, 01:31 PM
Belkar isn't dead.
Belkar will come back alone (he, as a bodyguard, is the only one that can attack Durkula)
Belkar will sacrifice himself to make Roy defeat (not kill) Durkula... only that Belkar won't die as expected, and they will continue theyr jurney to follow and kill Durkula and to raise Durkon in Dwarven Land. This will take all the book.

If Belkar is going to die, he will die at the very end of Order's quest. Unless, you know, he won't die, just stop breathing.

Yeah, pretty much this in a nutshell

Jelly d6
2015-09-10, 05:55 PM
For dramatic purposes, B1 and C2-C4 are quite potent options. Namely, for dramatic purposes the ongoing fight has to come not toa resolution but to a more powerful drama. I can think of one possible variant: the fight ends, Roy alive, vampire slain, Belkar killed. Now Roy has only one available Resurrection spell - and he has to choose.

Now this variant has to be fitted into narrative, and the biggest problem is to limit access to Ressurection spell. Sure, Roy has jelly-covered gold enough to raise only one body. But the total value of magic items in posession of (ahem) Hel's delegation beats it very easily.

So the more natural approach would be to discourage High Priests to provide help. Either on their own discretion or forcing them to leave Godsmoot urgently. The former would hardly be a stretch. Yeah, we are eagerly looking at this fight like a crowd on gladiatorial arena. But let's look on it from clergy's point of view. Not only Roy has put the world on the brink of destruction by bringing HPoH to the party (and clergy still doesn't know about Girard's gate). But he also has effectively broken the Godsmoot in awfully dire way, spoiling the whole meaning of the gathering.

But after successfully resolving these technicalities we'd get a Drama. From capital D. It would be an epic drama, because we totally know, and Roy totally knows whom he will Resurrect. Not a trolling sexy shoeless murderhobo who just started trying to be helpful - just as Roy hoped he will and so took responsibilty for, not the guy who saw where it was heading all along and who has been fighting alongside him till the last breath. Nope. Never.

No, he will resurrect his "best friend", a fangy trickster who lied to him, used him, nearly destroying the world in the meantime and positively slaughtering a certain halfling Roy was feeling responsible for. Now this responsibility will be an insurmountable burden on hisshoulders till the end of the story...

And on Durkon's shoulders too. Because he saw everything he was doing, if only remained a passive spectator. Rules of drama thrice be damned, but talky-man and grumpy dwarf _must_ have some talk to, you know, overcome some of the damage.:smalltongue:

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-11, 03:08 AM
B1 and somewhere between C1 and C6.

Neither Durkon's nor Belkar's story has played out I think, but obviously they will need to put some sort of stop to the world being destroyed right away before they can go and beat Xykon (or not?) in the next book.

HerbieRAI
2015-09-11, 08:22 AM
I see the demigod priests getting involved before Belkar. They have been shown/ implied they are Durkula's vampire minions already, and if Roy wins the fight Durkula would call on their aid to save himself (and ruin the Godsmoot). Then the actual priests would run, and Belkar and gang show up to help Roy. In the end, both Belkar and Durkula would be dead, but since all the priests ran off/ died there would be no one to raise them. It would then be convenient that there would be two opening slots for a ranger and cleric in the party, only if there were a couple of them that were already introduced to the party... I'm guessing this counts as B3.

The only problem with that theory is there is no visit to the dwarven lands for Durkon, unless they are already there.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-11, 08:39 AM
Keep in mind that we're about a book and a half away from the ultimate conclusion of the comic. Using the break between the second to last and last book to introduce new members into a group of protagonists that hasn't changed since the beginning would be kind of weird.

On top of that: even if the Giant doesn't keep all important storylines running until the end and Belkar dies at the conclusion of this book (which I find pretty unlikely to begin with), Durkon is not going to. The Giant has been planning his vampirization since what would have been strip 4 or some similarly low number if he hadn't decided to turn it into one of the main plotlines for the entire thing. He's going to be at the conclusion of the story.

tomaO2
2015-09-11, 10:06 PM
If Belkar really is supposed to die, him dying from attacking Durkan is a good a reason as any. If he does that, even if the attack kills Durkan, he will have broken the rules and will have to be killed himself.

Likewise, if they are supposed to kill Beklar, none of them would be willing to resurrect him. Even Durkan would feel honor bound to not raise Belkar himself, because that is the rule. There is a good chance that the story would get out to all the priestly orders and there would be a ban on raising Belkar, so, no matter how hard Durkan might want to help bring Belkar back, he wouldn't be able to find anyone willing to do so. Which fulfills the prophesy nicely.

DrewDaGreek
2015-09-11, 10:48 PM
Well there is a longshot theory, but it would be so cool, I just have to dream..

Minor spoilers from Start of Darkness, but I'll tag it anyway.

1) The vote does come down to the demigods, but it's close. They might need another vote
2) Heimdal already seems to express regret at voting 'No'
3) As seen in SoD, mortals can become gods like the elven gods and the Dark One
4) So, with the vote being so close, they could tip the scales by 'promoting' a Mortal to a demigod. (Like Maine was given statehood to vote against slavery)
5) As the God of War.. Heimdal would promote a recently fallen warrior, and one close enough to get here in time...

So the ending climatic scene:

The demigod priests vote, it looks like its going to be a "Yes" or a tie... and then the chapel is interrupted in glorious fashion by Belkar appearing "I am a Sexy Shoeless (Demi)God of War!!".. oh, and I vote No"

Technically, demigods might not breathe in this world..

Long shot, but even thinking about the scene makes me smile.

squab
2015-09-11, 11:08 PM
Having Belkar ascend and ACTUALLY become a sexy, shoeless god of war would be so great!

But then he needs a representative. To tip the scales. So Durkon becomes a cleric of Belkar, sexy shoeless god of war!

okay probably not but still

SlashDash
2015-09-12, 06:06 AM
The easiest thing to do is to bring Belkar back and have him kill any of the YES clerics. He doesn't have to kill Durkula at all. Belkar is chaotic evil after all.

Belkar gets snuffed by rules of the godsmoot and we know why he can't be resurrected. He killed a gnome that was carrying a wagon, killing a single cleric (that will be resurrected anyway) to screw his arch rival is quite in character - he tried to do it to Miko.

That frees Durkula to stay in the story regardless as he'll run away and join team evil.

However... I don't think the story will actually go this way. It might even go on an entirely different way and showing Belkar didn't just get slightly shifted to less evil column, but also a smarter one.

Belkar survived the fall and went back in to the church. While everyone were giving their speeches, he killed the 2 vampire minions of Durkula and then warned everyone else in the building about what's going on. As a result, the minions haven't finished their task of getting rid of the non friendly demigod priests and team NO wins the day when the demigods break the tie.

notthephonz
2015-09-12, 11:21 PM
My guess is that Belkar will show up with just enough strength to hand Roy the cloak clasp with the Protection from Evil spell that he purchased in #969 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0969.html), which will then allow Roy to win the battle. I suppose that would fall under B1 and C1 here?

I don't have a great understanding of the D&D rules, so maybe someone can explain how that might work in better detail. The gnome says that the Protection from Evil spell is designed to protect against compulsion magic, but it harms Belkar even though he's not capable of casting compulsion magic–he's just Evil. If Roy were to use the clasp, would it protect him from any of Durkon's powers aside from his Domination?

littlebum2002
2015-09-12, 11:41 PM
It would give Roy a negligible bonus to his saves and defense, in addition to making him immune to the mind altering effects he seems to be able to overcome on his own.

The clasp is acting like a Good aligned weapon, in that it gives a temporary negative level to anyone that holds it.

How do I know this?

in the book, Haley and Roy both pick up Tarquins Evil aligned axe and have the save reaction Belkar does when activating the clasp

dps
2015-09-12, 11:57 PM
I think A2 is the most likely.

If he does get involved, I think it might mostly just be him tossing Roy some healing potions.

7RED7
2015-09-13, 12:15 AM
If, and I mean IF, Belkar isn't rescued by the rest of the Order, others we'd expect to see in the vicinity, or some Julio-level surprise cameo, and he is in fact falling to his death then I think the most likely outcome is a time stop effect and an interesting chat with an entrepreneurial trio. Death's Little Helper himself is not an opportunity you just pass up on.

Blanth
2015-09-13, 12:52 AM
Having Belkar ascend and ACTUALLY become a sexy, shoeless god of war would be so great!

But then he needs a representative. To tip the scales. So Durkon becomes a cleric of Belkar, sexy shoeless god of war!

I like this.

Maybe he is rescued by the rest of the group aboard the Mechane thanks to the saving powers of Banjo. Instantly through this Banjoisim becomes a formal religion with one incredibly thankful follower causing the vote to swing? Nah yours is better.

Breccia
2015-09-13, 01:28 AM
My vote is still A1. I've had to be recently reminded of the author's use of a major surprise hidden by a flashback before, so my backing of this is no longer ironclad. But I still don't see any evidence of anything other than a half-mile fall onto jagged rocks. The end. It would require new evidence of something intentionally hidden from us for me to change my mind, and I won't feel badly about guessing A1 with the evidence we have so far.
If not A1, my next vote is A2 by virtue of the 20d6 rule, which despite Roy's mention of "minimal falling damage" isn't something I'd have 100% faith on while speeding towards jagged rocks at 200MPH. Belkar could arguably climb a half mile up in fifteen minutes (I'd bet he could climb a rough stone cliff by Taking Ten) and some time has passed, so his return the fight is alone possible, but not in my top 3 choices.
If not A2, then B3. The only way he doesn't hit the ground is if V or Haley catches him. I don't see him taming a new beast on the way down plausible, his current animal allies are still on the ship and also incapable of flight, and the only other allies proven capable of flight (that I can remember) are Julio (who intentionally took off to avoid exactly this sort of thing) and Enor (who...no).
If not B3, then C1. Durkula's got enough problems with Roy alone. Roy and scarab-wearing raging Belkar flanking is too much for him to deal with. Stab stab stap Spellsplinter stab stab stab, poof, gas, "I'll get you next time Gadget!"

Drynwyn
2015-09-13, 10:06 AM
It would give Roy a negligible bonus to his saves and defense, in addition to making him immune to the mind altering effects he seems to be able to overcome on his own.

The clasp is acting like a Good aligned weapon, in that it gives a temporary negative level to anyone that holds it.

How do I know this?

in the book, Haley and Roy both pick up Tarquins Evil aligned axe and have the save reaction Belkar does when activating the clasp

+2 is never negligible- So long as you and your opponent's to-hit and AC/save bonuses and DC's are in a range where you're being hit/making saves on something other than a natural 20, it has the exact same effect on a 20th level fighter dueling a dragon as it does a 1st level fighter hitting a kobold. (IE, 10% less likely to get hit/fail your save.)

Neelix
2015-09-13, 12:22 PM
My vote is still A1. I've had to be recently reminded of the author's use of a major surprise hidden by a flashback before, so my backing of this is no longer ironclad. But I still don't see any evidence of anything other than a half-mile fall onto jagged rocks. The end. It would require new evidence of something intentionally hidden from us for me to change my mind, and I won't feel badly about guessing A1 with the evidence we have so far.

I seriously doubt it... Major characters don't tend to die off-screen. I think that until we see the his eyes turn to X X we have to assume he's alive.

-Neelix

dtilque
2015-09-14, 04:02 AM
If Belkar really is supposed to die, him dying from attacking Durkan is a good a reason as any. If he does that, even if the attack kills Durkan, he will have broken the rules and will have to be killed himself.

You forget that Belkar was assigned as Durkon's second bodyguard. Because of that, he's the only one who can join the fight without breaking the rules. I don't expect Belkar to die in this fight, although he may join it.

littlebum2002
2015-09-14, 10:26 AM
You forget that Belkar was assigned as Durkon's second bodyguard. Because of that, he's the only one who can join the fight without breaking the rules. I don't expect Belkar to die in this fight, although he may join it.

Do we know that? I may be mistaken, but I don't believe we have ever been what would happen if random people from the outside attack a Cleric in the moot.

For starters, how can they be accused of breaking the rules of the moot if they're not even a part of it?

wumpus
2015-09-14, 11:28 AM
Do we know that? I may be mistaken, but I don't believe we have ever been what would happen if random people from the outside attack a Cleric in the moot.

For starters, how can they be accused of breaking the rules of the moot if they're not even a part of it?

They're bodyguards (otherwise they wouldn't be allowed in). Thus part of the moot.
It still wouldn't matter. It isn't like the gods care why mortals broke their rules.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Belkar saw Durkon kill one cleric. [If he gets back and has a role in the battle] he can shout from the zone of truth what he saw. Belkar being Belkar, I assume he will prefer his daggers. J'accuse, however, is the far more certain route (if only Belkar had a higher wisdom score*).

Count me as one of the ones who think Belkar didn't die from the fall (but is fairly unlikely to survive the full battle, his days are certainly numbered). Nale already suffered the "sudden meaningless death", Rich is unlikely to repeat it. Between that, and already showing non-D&D players that unlimited falling distance isn't fatal to lightly injured major characters (through Tarquin), I doubt that the fall did Belkar in (although freezing to death remains a possibility).

dtilque
2015-09-14, 04:19 PM
You forget that Belkar was assigned as Durkon's second bodyguard. Because of that, he's the only one who can join the fight without breaking the rules.

Do we know that?

Are you asking if Belkar was one of Durkevil's bodyguards? If so, see strips #993 panel 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0993.html) for Roy assigning him and #994 panel 14 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0994.html) for the usher leading him in. Looks like he's a bonafide bodyguard to me.

As for Belkar being allowed to join the fight without breaking the rules, we have to assume that anything that one bodyguard can do under the rules, the other can.

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe we have ever been what would happen if random people from the outside attack a Cleric in the moot.

It's reasonable to assume that hostile outsiders will be considered enemy by all attendees, including all the bodyguards.

Also I imagine the temple is warded to help prevent outsiders from intruding. If Team Evil wants to crash the party, for example, they'll have to teleport to somewhere outside and enter by foot or flying.

littlebum2002
2015-09-14, 06:14 PM
Somehow, I thought the Order could just waltz in and start fighting. I have no idea what I was thinking to have such a dumb idea.

LordRahl6
2015-09-15, 12:53 PM
I was also looking at how far that Belkar had to fall before he died, and he still has a waaaayyyss to go if nothing else interrupts his fall. Not sure if that means if he has more or less chance of saving grace given the plot around him.:smalltongue:

Loreweaver15
2015-09-15, 05:57 PM

Likewise, if they are supposed to kill Beklar, none of them would be willing to resurrect him. Even Durkan would feel honor bound to not raise Belkar himself, because that is the rule. There is a good chance that the story would get out to all the priestly orders and there would be a ban on raising Belkar, so, no matter how hard Durkan might want to help bring Belkar back, he wouldn't be able to find anyone willing to do so. Which fulfills the prophesy nicely.

...Durkon can cast Resurrection himself. It's why Roy is alive right now.

Rinazina
2015-09-16, 09:30 AM

That's great :D

but, speaking of which, how can physically survive from that fall ? V. or Haley has to save him (flying and casting fly on him). If it is V, does this means a new kiss in the near future ? :smalltongue:

ooOoo
2015-09-21, 12:46 PM
As of #1006 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1006.html) it now seems to me somewhat less likely that Belkar will be involved in the battle at all. The tension between the two combatants is so high, much like in the Roy vs. Thog fight, that this battle probably won't be resolved by an external agent.

Still one thought came to me...

Belkar is a known gourmet chef right? He probably carries on his person at all times a small box containing various dried spices, herbs, Mama Bitterleaf's Secret +2 Circumstance Bonus Ingredient etc.
What are the chances that he isn't also carrying a quantity of a certain bulbous member of the genus Allium which is known to make vampires recoil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic)?
And a recoiling vampire can't cast touch spells like Harm...
So if he were to join the battle, he might be useful even without his daggers.
Hmmmmm... :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Stabbey
2015-09-21, 01:19 PM
I am going to go with A2.

If I am wrong about that, then B3 is most likely, but I have no idea what the outcome of his involvement could be, there are too many unknowns to make a prediction.

ChillerInstinct
2015-09-21, 10:43 PM
Belkar can't really bring anyone with him, so B2 and B4 are probably off the table.

IF he was rescued by the Order, it would probably make sense for Elan and V to buff Belkar with everything they've got, and for Haley to loan him a few of her new wands. A couple healing potions from the Mechane and he should be back in good enough condition to fight again. Having him jump from the Mechane through a skylight (or, at least, a high-up window) and stab Durkon in the back as he stands over Roy to gloat, Assassin's Creed style, would make for a stylish entrance and probably a highly effective one. Heck, he survived being on the RECEIVING end of it against once before, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0284.html) so I don't think we need to worry about the type of damage that would do to HIM.

Not to mention, even if none of the wands can cure Roy's level drain, it wouldn't be hard to heal him up a bit. A dash of Heal, or just toss him one of the aforementioned Mechane potions, and boom, healthy (albeit weakened) Fighter, at your service.

Nightcanon
2015-09-22, 05:40 AM
As of #1006 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1006.html) it now seems to me somewhat less likely that Belkar will be involved in the battle at all. The tension between the two combatants is so high, much like in the Roy vs. Thog fight, that this battle probably won't be resolved by an external agent.

Still one thought came to me...

Belkar is a known gourmet chef right? He probably carries on his person at all times a small box containing various dried spices, herbs, Mama Bitterleaf's Secret +2 Circumstance Bonus Ingredient etc.
What are the chances that he isn't also carrying a quantity of a certain bulbous member of the genus Allium which is known to make vampires recoil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic)?
And a recoiling vampire can't cast touch spells like Harm...
So if he were to join the battle, he might be useful even without his daggers.
Hmmmmm... :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:
My inner Elan is telling me that the longer we go without seeing Belkar lying in a heap on the ground with the x x eyes, the less likely we are to see it at all. Given that this implies some sort of rescue, I think enough time has now elapsed that he could now be ready to rejoin. Though I like the idea that Belkar Ascends and becomes a Sexy Shoeless God of War too. Equally, I think you could be right, and badly-injured Roy just manages to take down badly-injured Durkula in the next round, after some more awesome dialogue and possibly the decisive intervention of Durkon. Roy probably has Die Hard as a feat, doesn't he, given the long-running 'the Order isn't built to comply with the standards of optimisation' theme.

littlebum2002
2015-09-22, 01:42 PM
My inner Elan is telling me that the longer we go without seeing Belkar lying in a heap on the ground with the x x eyes, the less likely we are to see it at all. Given that this implies some sort of rescue, I think enough time has now elapsed that he could now be ready to rejoin. Though I like the idea that Belkar Ascends and becomes a Sexy Shoeless God of War too. Equally, I think you could be right, and badly-injured Roy just manages to take down badly-injured Durkula in the next round, after some more awesome dialogue and possibly the decisive intervention of Durkon. Roy probably has Die Hard as a feat, doesn't he, given the long-running 'the Order isn't built to comply with the standards of optimisation' theme.

My inner Elan told me that, since we didn't see Belkar hit the ground, he's not dead. A major protagonist isn't going to die off screen.

CrispyCriminal
2015-09-30, 05:44 AM
My idea is very far fetched, but totally food for thought.

Should Belkar join the battle, perhaps he will stab Durkula in both eyes. But where it gets interesting is if the daggers severed what tied Durkon from gaining control of his own body.

That's two battles on different fronts Durkula would have to contend to, making it easier for Roy and Belkar to get their footing back in this epic battle of minds and moots.

Rift_Wolf
2015-09-30, 06:43 AM
My prediction?

Belkar jumps through window, drops onto Durkula with a pair of wooden stakes.

Durkula: what? I killed you!
Belkar: you threw me out the window, pal; next time finish the job yourself.
Durkula: but the fall...
Belkar: Eagles.
*panel beat*
Durkula: what...
Belkar: That's right. Dwarf in danger? Sucks to be you.
*uses one stake to pin Durkula to the floor*
Belkar: Halflings in danger? We get Giant, friggin
*two-hand drives the stake into Durkula's chest*
Belkar: EAGLES!

Of course we're forgetting that circumstances have been cleverly set up so it's just Roy vs Durkon. Belkar making the save would be as anticlimactic as Thog jumping in.

Doctor West
2015-09-30, 10:42 AM
My idea is very far fetched, but totally food for thought.

Should Belkar join the battle, perhaps he will stab Durkula in both eyes. But where it gets interesting is if the daggers severed what tied Durkon from gaining control of his own body.

That's two battles on different fronts Durkula would have to contend to, making it easier for Roy and Belkar to get their footing back in this epic battle of minds and moots.

I think it's possible you're taking the metaphysical construct of Durkon being trapped in his own head a bit too literally.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-30, 12:11 PM
Of course we're forgetting that circumstances have been cleverly set up so it's just Roy vs Durkon. Belkar making the save would be as anticlimactic as Thog jumping in.

Except that there was no reason for the rules to allow two bodyguards other than that Belkar can come and help.

The only other bodyguard with a name is alone. And if Belkar had just gone sneaking in things could have played out exactly as they did, until now.

Not everything in a story has a function, but a lot of things do. Belkar is pretty much the only character who can intervene, and last time we saw him he was falling with an even bigger reason to come back after Durkula than before.

I don't claim to know how this will turn out. Durkon has an important role to play, either here or near the climax of the next book, or in both those places, but Belkar is going to show too, says the little Tarquin on my shoulder.

ooOoo
2015-09-30, 12:45 PM
Except that there was no reason for the rules to allow two bodyguards other than that Belkar can come and help.

Very good point! The Giant could just as easily have had a "one bodyguard rule", and Belkar hasn't really done anything important yet. Unless his sole purpose in this scene was to have a short battle before being thrown out the window... :smallconfused:

wumpus
2015-09-30, 02:28 PM

Not so. The giant has made it clear that the only reason Malik was in the story was to vamp Durkon. Belkar could be here only to die. I think the Giant could do a better death scene than somehow cutting to Belkar during/after the battle and show Belkar with x-ed out eyes, but you never know. I don't think he's used the "oh, him? He died" yet, so don't be surprised if he pulls it off really well.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-30, 02:39 PM
Not so. The giant has made it clear that the only reason Malik was in the story was to vamp Durkon. Belkar could be here only to die. I think the Giant could do a better death scene than somehow cutting to Belkar during/after the battle and show Belkar with x-ed out eyes, but you never know. I don't think he's used the "oh, him? He died" yet, so don't be surprised if he pulls it off really well.

But then Belkar could just have gone sneaking in, like he explicitly said in the comic he would have done had Roy left him behind. Him getting in as an official bodyguard does not serve that purpose. In fact, the statement that he would have snuck in could be a smal lampshade that there is a storywise reason that he is a bodyguard.

As I said: not everything in a story serves a purpose. But if this one serves a purpose it's not anything that has come to pass yet, and pretty much the only purpose it could be is to have him influence this fight at some point.

veti
2015-09-30, 04:56 PM
My prediction?

Belkar jumps through window, drops onto Durkula with a pair of wooden stakes.

Durkula: what? I killed you!
Belkar: you threw me out the window, pal; next time finish the job yourself.
Durkula: but the fall...
Belkar: Eagles.
*panel beat*
Durkula: what...
Belkar: That's right. Dwarf in danger? Sucks to be you.
*uses one stake to pin Durkula to the floor*
Belkar: Halflings in danger? We get Giant, friggin
*two-hand drives the stake into Durkula's chest*
Belkar: EAGLES!

That's nice Belkar dialogue there. I think you're selling Durkula short, though. He'd come up with something snappier than that.

But Belkar saving the day at this point? Just feels a little bit too - linear. I think Durkon - the inner, trapped Durkon - is going to play some role in resolving this battle, and that probably means there's at least one more strip of inner dialogue to go.

CrispyCriminal
2015-09-30, 09:45 PM
I think it's possible you're taking the metaphysical construct of Durkon being trapped in his own head a bit too literally.

Like I said, far fetched. That and typing that crap in 6 AM in the morning. Still, stabbing him in both eyes would help alot more than your run of the mill sneak-attack-without rogue levels. Fast healing isn't the cure-all in a round after all.

Fish
2015-09-30, 10:18 PM
My vote:

:belkar: Heal.
:durkon: How'd you do that?
:belkar: Owl's Wisdom, chump.
:durkon: Fine. Dispel magic.
:dinosaur: Rwaaaawr!
:durkon: Oh. Right.

137beth
2015-10-03, 07:20 PM
Belkar will hear SarcastooOOvius' "paging", and that will allow him to immediately learn to page through a spellbook!

Synesthesy
2015-10-04, 01:38 PM
My vote:

:belkar: Heal.
:durkon: How'd you do that?
:belkar: Owl's Wisdom, chump.
:durkon: Fine. Dispel magic.
:dinosaur: Rwaaaawr!
:durkon: Oh. Right.

Well, if you think, Belkar's growth may have led to a bonus in wisdom. Maybe now he can use magic.

And remember, Belkar is a Barbarian who has never raged yet. So, I see something like....

SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR.... SMASH!

hamishspence
2015-10-04, 02:18 PM
And remember, Belkar is a Barbarian who has never raged yet.

"Halfling rage jumping attack"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html

Synesthesy
2015-10-04, 02:31 PM

I don't think so. If you compare it to Thog's rages, it is a lot different.

wumpus
2015-10-04, 04:42 PM
I don't think so. If you compare it to Thog's rages, it is a lot different.

Belkar mostly has ranger levels (I think he only has 2 barbarian levels). Thog is a pure [or close enough] barbarian. You should expect more rage with more levels.

dtilque
2015-10-08, 06:35 PM

Also

"Halfling rage att-" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0869.html)