PDA

View Full Version : Holy Symbolism

Swordsmith
2015-09-10, 01:52 PM
I noticed at the godsmoot that every high priest had their own holy symbol. But it wasn't until just now, comic 1003, that I noticed that Durkon and Durkula have different symbols. Durkons is gold with a green stone, while Durkula's is gold with a black stone.

This should be another clue for Roy, and it should also let us know when (if) Durkon ever manages to retake his body. If the symbol remains black, that's not really Durkon.

Both are gold. Is it possible the metal shows law/chaos axis and the stone shows good/evil axis? Assuming there are three metals and three stone colors that would allow all 9 alignments to have their own combination, while making the actual symbol art very consistent and simple. But there are more gods than 9, do they not really all have individual symbols?

Hel as Black I can see, but not sure why Thor would be green. Anyone put together the meanings of all the other symbols we've seen so far?

I ,know, this is really poorly researched and there may not be as much to it as I'm thinking, but it just occurred to me and I thought I'd throw it out there.

Synesthesy
2015-09-10, 02:17 PM
The High Priest of Thor has another color, gold with blue stone.... I don't think there is a scheme :smallsigh:

Swordsmith
2015-09-10, 04:37 PM
The High Priest of Thor has another color, gold with blue stone.... I don't think there is a scheme :smallsigh:

I'm looking now at 999

Odin, no visible symbol
Thor, gold with green
Sif... oh wait I think I see a problem with this plan, the ZOT effect is overlaying everything with yellow, so I am not seeing the true colors. I'll have to look at a different page.

Swordsmith
2015-09-10, 05:04 PM
I'll have to look at a different page.

Heimdal: looks like.. yellow on red. What is that red chain made of, anyway?
Loki: red on gold
Balder: Blue on copper
Frigg: yellow on gold
Sif: green on gold
Odin: gold on gold

Trying, then, to shift the 999 colors back away from their yellow tint, using those as comparisons:

Thor: Blue on gold
Tyr: Orange (or red?) on gold
Freya: Blue on gold
Freyr: Green on copper
Sunna: gold on red
Njord: Green on gold
Mani: Blue on gold
Skadi: Green on silver
Hoder: Purple on silver
Fenrir: Not able to identify which part if any is his symbol
Vafthrudnir: Purple on gold

Some of the Southern Pantheon also have visible symbols, you'd have to subtract the blue ZOT effect to puzzle those out.

Not nearly as sure as I first was that there's any pattern here at all.

Trillium
2015-09-14, 07:18 AM
I think there's no big symbolism. Chains and settings are obviously made from precious or semi-precious metals - gold, silver, copper (red), maybe platinum.

Zenzis
2015-09-14, 03:18 PM
It seems like you are counting belts as holy symbols on Freyr and Balder which based on their design seems likely enough.

I don't think the cloth belt on Frigg is a symbol though, if that is what you are counting as yellow on gold.

All I can find on Odin is the cloak clasp is that what you are counting?

As for the south:
Purple-beard has purple on copper.
Orange-headband has orange on gold.
Blue-hair-armor-person has what looks like teal on silver.

Granted I didn't do an analysis with photoshop.

I'm thinking it is just the giant matching their outfit but it's interesting to notce those little differences. I hadn't caught Durukan's change until this thread.