PDA

View Full Version : Average skill modifiers in lvl 1+ builds?

tensai
2007-05-12, 07:14 PM
I'm looking at producing some higher-level characters from scratch, and I was wondering if there was a table or something that gave a good idea of the 'average' modifiers for a character of level X.

Dhavaer
2007-05-12, 07:17 PM
How do you mean? Most builds will probably have their main skills at level + 3 + something, generally 1-10.

tensai
2007-05-12, 07:34 PM
Naturally, characters have the main skills that they focus on (and max out to the best of their abilities); I guess I'm asking more about the skill you take ranks in because you have points left over. Is there generally a minimum investment that you can put into a skill to make it useful?

Korias
2007-05-12, 07:40 PM
Yes... And No.

You have to plan your character if your starting at a high level. If you max out skills you will have HUGE gaps in others. A balanced diet works best.

I prefer that your level/2= a good minimum. Sometimes, by 2.5 might work.

tensai
2007-05-12, 08:54 PM
Yes... And No.

You have to plan your character if your starting at a high level. If you max out skills you will have HUGE gaps in others. A balanced diet works best.

I prefer that your level/2= a good minimum. Sometimes, by 2.5 might work.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Jack Mann
2007-05-12, 09:20 PM
You're better off maxing the skills you're likely to need. D&D rewards specialization. Be the best at your chosen field, and coordinate with the other players so that there isn't too much overlap.

Once you have the skills you're going to specialize in maxed, then you can start looking for things you can do well, if not brilliantly. If you're a high-Int character, like a wizard, putting a point or two into each of the knowledge skills can be useful, since you have a chance of making 15+ or even 20+ checks, depending on your level. A few ranks into jump can give you a bit of mobility when you need it. Also look for prerequisites for any prestige classes or feats you want. You'll want to budget for those as early as possible.

ChomZ
2007-05-12, 09:30 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Jack Mann on this one.. specialization puts you one up on the enemy.. and if you're team don't all specialize the same way.. you've usually got one character that can oust the evil doers

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-12, 10:13 PM
Any skill that requires training and meshes with your high ability scores is probably worth a point skimmed from somewhere.

Some skills, particularly knowledges, are worth taking to 5 ranks and dropping for synergy bonuses. But that's really just more specialization.

Handle Animal, Ride, Heal, and Survival have uses with fixed DCs that might justify taking only enough ranks to guarantee success on those uses...

But by far the standard is Character Level +3 points of every skill.

argentsaber
2007-05-14, 01:02 AM
realisticly it depends on the skill. knowledges are useful at 5 ranks with a good intelligence, and rarely needed above a +20 check for any reason (limiting hte useful ranks to about 15 generally). use magic device is much higher to use effectively, and a check of +30 is not a waste. any opposed skills are good to have at any rank. your +10 spot wizard might not catch the ranger or rogue, but he may catch the druid sneaking about.... 6 in tumble wil help a character fight defensively. 5 in bluff nets you a +2 bonus on half the social skills in game. basicly, figure out what dc you need, and shoot for that. make yourself able to succeed at hte rolls you feel the character needs to be capable of making regularly, and use the rest for fun.