PDA

View Full Version : Question

SangoProduction
2015-09-10, 03:11 PM
OK. Take this scenario: you have only 1 spell left - personal teleport - to use, and your team needs to get out.
Can you kill your ally (to later be rezed), so that you can carry them out with the teleport? (Or wait until something kills them, but perhaps the situation is a collapsing ceiling, in which case, you'd probably die if you waited.)
Is this valid? (It's a **** move if you don't tell your team about it, but that's not the question.)

Xuldarinar
2015-09-10, 03:16 PM
Answer.

I believe so, I don't know the exact limitations of the spell but I do believe a corpse does count as an object.

Also, I know it is aside from the point but if the situation is on account of enemies and not an obstacle such as a collapsing ceiling, I do think one important thing to consider is this; While you may know you only have one spell left in the day, they do not.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-09-10, 08:42 PM
Question?
https://modernmythologies.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/question-vic-sage.jpg

Anyway, I don't know the spell in question, but a corpse is certainly an object, and most teleport effects allow at least you and your gear. (Demons, for example, get self+50 pounds). In a high level setting, it's certainly a valid tactic. You'd better discuss it in real life before you try it, though.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-11, 02:47 AM
Five words: type two bag of holding.

Carry one, have your buddies jump in, teleport with no problems while bringing at least two people with you, three if anybody is small, more if you can afford a better BoH.

SangoProduction
2015-09-11, 09:06 AM
Five words: type two bag of holding.

Carry one, have your buddies jump in, teleport with no problems while bringing at least two people with you, three if anybody is small, more if you can afford a better BoH.

That's a good idea, assuming that the GM allows the neck of the BoH to expand to allow the person to enter.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-11, 01:35 PM
That's a good idea, assuming that the GM allows the neck of the BoH to expand to allow the person to enter.

It's two feet in diameter. That's really not much of a stretch unless a member of your party is quite bulky. Worst case; you have to cast reduce person on them first. Portable hole eventually becomes an option too but they're a bit pricy and you wanted this online ASAP.

Jay R
2015-09-11, 02:38 PM
It's two feet in diameter. That's really not much of a stretch unless a member of your party is quite bulky. Worst case; you have to cast reduce person on them first. Portable hole eventually becomes an option too but they're a bit pricy and you wanted this online ASAP.

Under the scenario as given they don't have a Reduce Person. they are down to their last spell.

Also, you don't decide what magic item to go get after getting in this predicament. They can't get a specific type of bag of holding after they decide to do this and before they need to finish.

Finally, something is killing them. I doubt if there is time to stuff them into a bag. There might not be enough time to do anything except attack your ally, grab him, and teleport.

Jeraa
2015-09-11, 03:04 PM
What spell/what book is the spell in? Because I can't find a personal teleport spell.

If the spell lets you take objects and equipment along, a corpse is indeed an object.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-11, 03:07 PM
Under the scenario as given they don't have a Reduce Person. they are down to their last spell.

Also, you don't decide what magic item to go get after getting in this predicament. They can't get a specific type of bag of holding after they decide to do this and before they need to finish.

Finally, something is killing them. I doubt if there is time to stuff them into a bag. There might not be enough time to do anything except attack your ally, grab him, and teleport.

While it doesn't necessarily help in the situation at hand, it's a solid strategem in general and this circumstance may arise again.

Of note, however, is that attacking the ally then teleporting out is two standard actions and therefore two turns. Opening the bag for your buddy to dive into head first is only a move action and you can teleport on the same turn. You only need extra actions if they need to be reduced and this seems like a good place for emergency potions to play a role.

Preparing a solid exit strategy is just good adventuring.

Jay R
2015-09-11, 03:58 PM
Preparing a solid exit strategy is just good adventuring.

Agreed. But I admit I prefer it when my ally's exit strategy doesn't start with slaying me.

JeenLeen
2015-09-11, 04:16 PM
Sounds perfectly legit, assuming the teleportation spell doesn't limit you to 'x' pounds of gear so you either can't carry the ally's corpse (or, in a sense worse, the corpse and the gear.)

Bag of Holding sounds potentially legit (and I like the idea of how it's more action-efficient), but make sure your DM won't do a move like saying the ally's sword tears the bag and thus they're now lost in the astral plane.

For both ideas, discussing it out-of-character first sounds good. To make sure you don't bug your DM, I'd say discuss it with them as well, ideally before one is in this critical position. I know my GM doesn't mind discussing tactics, but too much OOC discussion during battle bugs him because our chars don't have time to do that deliberation in the midst of combat.

SangoProduction
2015-09-11, 05:52 PM
What spell/what book is the spell in? Because I can't find a personal teleport spell.

If the spell lets you take objects and equipment along, a corpse is indeed an object.

Dimension Door, for example? That shadow step thing from shadow dancer (yes, yes, I know it sucks, not the point). There are undoubtedly more.

Oh, thanks for the clarification.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-11, 05:54 PM
Agreed. But I admit I prefer it when my ally's exit strategy doesn't start with slaying me.

Likewise. That's why I suggested a less.... messy.... alternative.

SangoProduction
2015-09-11, 05:58 PM
Likewise. That's why I suggested a less.... messy.... alternative.

So, without a BoH, or the hole, is there still a way to...wait, flesh to stone turns them to an object, right? In the scenario, I don't have that, but it works, generally, right?

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-11, 06:43 PM
So, without a BoH, or the hole, is there still a way to...wait, flesh to stone turns them to an object, right? In the scenario, I don't have that, but it works, generally, right?

RAW, no. Inspite of being turned to stone they still count as creatures. This is, however, odd enough to call into question if it was intentional or not. Ask your DM to be certain.

SangoProduction
2015-09-11, 06:45 PM
RAW, no. Inspite of being turned to stone they still count as creatures. This is, however, odd enough to call into question if it was intentional or not. Ask your DM to be certain.

Ah, ok. nvm then.

Jeraa
2015-09-11, 07:56 PM
Dimension Door, for example? That shadow step thing from shadow dancer (yes, yes, I know it sucks, not the point). There are undoubtedly more.

Dimension Door also takes along other willing people. The shadowdancers Shadow Step ability also functions as dimension door, meaning it could be read as taking along other willing people too.

SangoProduction
2015-09-11, 09:25 PM
Dimension Door also takes along other willing people. The shadowdancers Shadow Step ability also functions as dimension door, meaning it could be read as taking along other willing people too.

Well, then, you have 1 more person than you can teleport with the spell. Same deal.