PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF character build help

Iamacup
2015-09-10, 06:39 PM
Hi All,
Having just optimised my first PF character to a level I am happy with.
Another player, who has never RPG'd before has asked for help with a character build. In reality he just wants a character to be built for him, as he does not understand the process and feels he does not have enough time to learn before we want to start playing. He works and is a student. He is time poor and we want to start playing, so I don't mind.
He wants to play a front line Dwarf with a BIG hammer, looking at dwarves long hammer, or earth breaker. He also wants to be able to create items, magic and non magic. He will be playing a blacksmith profession (with hammers and tongs hanging from his character's belt), and generally always tinkering with things, using the head of his BIG hammer as an anvil. In fact he described it as an Anvil attached to a tree, flat on one side with spike/anvil horn on the other. He does some smithing in RL.
So he is going to need some magic, and he wants to be able to dish out the damage.
Is the best way to build this going to be taking fighter as a class and then having create item feats, can he add spells and enchantments if this is the case?
Or will he need to be some thing like war priest, a Class I have read the name off and not looked into.
Or another character class.

No stats as yet, we are playing a pretty high stat game though so expect a couple of 17s and 14s with the lowest being an 8.

Again, all help appreciated.

Baroncognito
2015-09-10, 07:08 PM
I recommend the Forgemaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/dwarf/forgemaster-cleric-dwarf) cleric then.

It's not reliant upon charisma, it specializes in making metal items and magic armour and weapons. If Variant Multiclassing is allowed, it get significantly better at crafting by taking Wizard as a secondary class. A Valet familiar will cut crafting time in half. With the VMC Wizard though, the character will practically no room to take combat feats.

Without Variant Multi-classing, it is necessary to take Iron Will, Familiar Bond, and Improved Familiar bond to get a familiar, which is why I think that the wizard VMC isn't a bad option for getting a familiar.

Depending upon your Game Master, though, there is another option. Companion Figurine (www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/companion-figurine) only requires one rank of Handle Animal and the ownership of a companion figurine. This figurine is treated just like a normal familiar, and as such, might be able to take Familiar archetypes, but it's not explicitly stated to be an option, so it would be necessary to get Game Master approval. Fluff-wise, this is my favourite option. It speaks of "Well, I need a bit of a hand with this stuff. Maybe I'll build an assistant."

Baroncognito
2015-09-10, 07:16 PM
Is the best way to build this going to be taking fighter as a class and then having create item feats, can he add spells and enchantments if this is the case?

To go with the fighter option, it is possible to create magic items without being able to cast spells, but it requires a feat: Master Craftsman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final).

To make magic weapons, it requires craft: Weapons, for magic armour, craft: Armour. To make magic rings and amulets, craft: jewelry. I'm not exactly sure what would be necessary for wonderous items. It's also necessary to take the crafting feats like "craft magic arms and armour"

Faily
2015-09-10, 08:03 PM
Personally, I'd go with the Stonelord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/dwarf/stonelord-paladin-dwarf) archetype for Paladins.

It is hardly Charisma-dependant (except for Spellcasting, but you can also combine it with Warrior of the Holy Light (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/warrior-of-the-holy-light) to ditch that too), and trades Smite Evil for Stonestrike, Divine Grace for Natural Armor and Damage Reduction/Adamantine. It still gets Lay on Hand to maintain some of the built-in healing that is available to Paladins, which help to make them incredibly solid front-liners.

It also gains built in Fortification, Defensive Stance, some nice immunities, a pet earth elemental. Really, Stonelord is a very solid archetype for one who wants to have incredibly good defenses, some self-healing, and some boosts to attack and damage. Combine it with Warrior of the Holy Light for extra Lay on Hands and even more buffs to defense, attack and damage, which can also be shared with the rest of the party.

Picking Master Craftsman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final) as a feat makes him eligible for creating magical weapons and armor without having to be a spellcaster.

Geddy2112
2015-09-10, 09:42 PM
I second the forgemaster cleric-with the bonuses the class gives to crafting, and your buff spells, you will be a potent frontliner and out of combat crafter. One more thing-for a dwarf, the steel soul feat is worth taking a look at-getting 4+ to saves against spells and SLA's is ace. Might also want to look at the hard headed/dented helm/cloven helm tree, since you will be pretty good at fixing your helmet(and making it really durable).

Psyren
2015-09-10, 09:52 PM
I suggest Warpriest - the casting is simpler and he can buff/heal himself as a swift action.