PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Headband of Ferocity (S&F) + Delay Death ... also, contingency alternatives

Jowgen
2015-09-11, 05:44 AM
Everyone knows the Delay Death + Beastland Ferocity combo and the related cheese.

I'm just wondering whether it's possible to substitute Beastland Ferocity with the headband of ferocity from sword and fist (it's cheaper than a continuous items would be and comes with a little extra).

Here's the wording of the thing.

Sword and Fist p. This headband [fluff] lets the wearer keep going when she would normally collapse from her wounds. She can act normally at 0 hp (though taking strenuous actions still damages her). If she’s at negative hp (as low as –9), she acts normally, although she still risks losing 1 hp eachround, as normal. At –10 hp, she dies. Likewise, the wearer is harder to stop with subdual damage. Subdual damage does not stagger her, and she falls unconscious only when her subdual damage exceeds her hp by 10 or more.

Also, what ways other than craft contingent spell are there to have a Delay Death effect activate upon the user either as an immediate action or in response to hitting -10? I'm not after anything permanent, 1-shot would do, 1/day would be wonderful.

Jowgen
2015-09-12, 06:55 PM
Nobody? :smallfrown:

Jowgen
2015-09-13, 08:09 AM
Alright then, here is my reading of the whole thing. Hopefully someone will point out any errors/weak points if there are any.

First, the item has the following significant sections:
-lets the wearer keep going when she would normally collapse from her wounds"
- at negative hp (as low as –9), she acts normally, although she still risks losing 1 hp each round, as normal
- At –10 hp, she dies

Delay Death imposes the following 2 significant changes:
-The subject of this powerful spell is unable to die from hit point damage
Being unable to die from hp damage over-rides the "at -10 hp, she dies" part of the item effect
-the normal limit of —9 hit points before a character dies is extended without limit
This specific extension of the normal -9 limit applies to the "(as low as -9)" clause of the item, as that is the normal limit, meaning the character gets to act normally despite HP damage.

I believe this is RAW proof and obviously RAI as well, but if anyone sees any flaws, please do say so.

For the part about getting delay death cast conveniently without contingent spell:

-Spell Compendium updated the Cleric-level of delay death from 3rd to 4th; but Delay Death still appears as a 3rd level on the Destiny Domain, so a cleric of e.g. Heironeous should be able to create a 3rd level wand of delay death (11250 gp). If that cleric is able to also cast arcane spells and has the alternative source spell metamagic feat (Dragon 325 p 61), he can cast it as an Arcane spell and should be able to craft an eternal wand (10.900 gp). In exchange, the duration would drop from 5 rounds to 4 rounds though. Putting either of these into a wandchamber takes care of always having access to the spell.

This is the best solution I have, but it doesn't cover activating the wand in response to taking enough damage to die. If anyone has any suggestions in that regard, I'd be happy to hear them.