PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ways to increase Attack bonuses

Arc_knight25
2015-09-11, 08:18 AM
Hey all

I'm looking into ways to increase Attack bonuses.

Mostly for a Rogue build. Build is based around Surprising Follow Through. So just need to get that first attack as beefy as possible.

What Wands would be good to purchase? Any gear that anyone could think of?

Barstro
2015-09-11, 09:08 AM
I'm looking into ways to increase Attack bonuses.

Unless I'm misreading it or misunderstanding you (both are always a great possibility), you don't need an increased Attack Boneus so much as you need a way to lower the die roll needed to actually hit. As such, you can increase your Attack Bonus, OR you can lower your opponent's defense (party member spells), or attack a lower AC (attack while invisible, get get a touch attack).

I don't know many specifics and do not know the makeup of your party, so I have nothing to add at this time. I simply wanted to open up the parameters to be as all inclusive as possible.

Psyren
2015-09-11, 09:15 AM
The Rogue's primary way to hit is to not be noticed, thus attacking their target's flat-footed AC instead of their full AC. Beyond that you want the regular buffs to hit - enhancement, competence, Dex boosts, luck, morale etc.

Arc_knight25
2015-09-11, 09:54 AM
At the moment don't know what party make up will be.

Surprise Follow Through(Also getting Improved Surprise Follow Through) is used in conjunction with Cleave and Great Cleave. Pretty much every target after the first is flat footed. Will be using a great axe and being a half orc and going Skulking Slayer Archetype. Will also be focusing on Str as apposed to Dex.

I was thinking of UMD for wands to help buff up on defences and possible offense depending on group composition.

Besides good tactics: Flat footed, flanking being invisible. Any other ways to drop an enemies AC?

Barstro
2015-09-11, 01:05 PM
Ways you or your party can help you;

Conditions to throw on enemies;
Blinded (-2 AC, loses Dex)
Cowering (-2 AC)
Entangled (-4 Dex)
Exhausted (-6 Dex)
Fatigued (-2 Dex)
Flat Footed (- Dex Bonus)
Grappled (-4 Dex)
Helpless (Dex becomes –5)
Paralyzed (See Helpless)
Petrified (See Unconscious)
Pinned (-4 AC)
Prone (-4 AC against melee)
Stunned (-2 AC, lose dex)
Unconscious (see Helpless)

Conditions you can have;
Invisible (+2 attack, ignore dex)

Others;
Magic Weapon
Increase STR.

Mehangel
2015-09-11, 01:20 PM
Ways you or your party can help you;

Conditions you can have;
Invisible (+2 attack, ignore dex)

Things you left out:
Elevation Bonus (Melee Only): +1 Attack
Flanking: +2 Attack

sovin_ndore
2015-09-11, 01:28 PM
Hitting touch AC (or even flat-footed touch ac in combination with some of the above suggestions) would also be a viable approach (Brilliant Energy, Wraithstrike, Poison Ring).

Barstro
2015-09-11, 02:17 PM
Things you left out:
Elevation Bonus (Melee Only): +1 Attack
Flanking: +2 Attack

Never said it was all inclusive.:smalltongue:

Let's see...
YOU left out (see what I did there?)
Enlarge ___ on the enemy.
(I think changing the PC's size is a wash for melee weapons, but I could be wrong)
Aid Another (I think that can work with attacks)
Guidance True Strike (thanks, Sacrieur) Spell (Hmm. That's a one level dip and a Quicken Rod to auto hit)
Feint Partner Feat
Outflank Feat (makes flanking better (get a partner with SNA))
Probably some other Feat
Listen to Little Feat (I'll bet most people on this site do not know that band, though)
Heroism
Prayer
Divine Power
Other Spells

Azoth
2015-09-11, 02:29 PM
Cracked Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone (4k) +1 to hit or to saves I usually buy 2.

Bane Baldric (10k) 5 rounds/day (don't have to be consecutive) +2 to hit

Sacrieur
2015-09-11, 03:12 PM
true strike

Barstro
2015-09-11, 08:11 PM
true strike

Dammit. That's what I meant when I said Guidance. Editing post.

Barstro
2015-09-11, 08:20 PM
One level dip in Inquisitor and the Bane Baldric gives decent Bane and access to True Strike. Might not be worth the multi class, though.

Sacrieur
2015-09-11, 09:06 PM
One level dip in Inquisitor and the Bane Baldric gives decent Bane and access to True Strike. Might not be worth the multi class, though.

The Rogue Talent Major Magic would let you cast true strike twice per day as a spell like ability.

Barstro
2015-09-11, 10:17 PM
The Rogue Talent Major Magic would let you cast true strike twice per day as a spell like ability.

But you cannot use a quicken rod to cast and attack in the same round with a SLA.

That one level of Inquisitor would not increase Bane, but it would give a Judgement (+1 Attack bonus (sacred)) for one fight per day.

meschlum
2015-09-11, 11:12 PM
With a focus on Strength and starting at Medium size, you can use the Young + Giant templates to get +4 Strength and +2 Dex for free.

A focus on Dexterity is rewarded with Young + Advanced, which decreases your size (more to hit, more AC, worse base damage) and gives you +8 Dex (as well as +4 to mental attributes). Again, it's free.

If you have spare levels to play with, you can get the templates without the Young bit (very nice with Giant, and Advanced is decent as well). Or you can look into a career as an undead monstruosity - being a Zombie Lord puts you ahead of the curve in BAB, among other goodies.

Poking at the Psionics section, you have a few feats there that can help. Deep Impact make sone attack a touch attack, good for your preliminary strike. Psionic Weapon is a damage boost that you can expend for +2d6 damage. Reckless Offense lets you get even more of a bonus to hit in exchange for an AC penalty - if you plan on wiping out the opposition before they can hit, it could be worth it.

And then there's Black Serpah and Primal Fury, if you have levels or feats to spare.

Sacrieur
2015-09-11, 11:39 PM
But you cannot use a quicken rod to cast and attack in the same round with a SLA.

That one level of Inquisitor would not increase Bane, but it would give a Judgement (+1 Attack bonus (sacred)) for one fight per day.

Why do you have to do it in the same round?

Psyren
2015-09-12, 12:51 AM

And if OP is an Unchained Rogue, he would get it up to 10/day.

Kurald Galain
2015-09-12, 01:19 AM
Guidance True Strike (thanks, Sacrieur) Spell (Hmm. That's a one level dip and a Quicken Rod to auto hit)

Dipping into Magus lets you do that without the rod.

Barstro
2015-09-12, 06:47 AM

Why would you want to "waste" a round casting and then attacking the next round when you can do it all in the first round (and then AGAIN in the second)?

One level of Magus gets Quicken True Strike?
Edit: nm, you never said "one".

Edit2: cannot use Spell Combat (full round action) and Cleave (standard action) in the same round by RAW.

Iain
2015-09-12, 07:01 AM
Surprising Follow Through

<chortle>

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add...

killem2
2015-09-12, 07:29 AM

You don't, people around here seem to think that combat has to last only 3 rounds or you are playing the game wrong. It's a fine tactic.

Barstro
2015-09-12, 08:01 AM
You don't, people around here seem to think that combat has to last only 3 rounds or you are playing the game wrong. It's a fine tactic.

OP's tactic involves rather specific placement of enemies. I think it more prudent to be able to have all the pieces fall into place in one round than cast the spell in one round and risk enemy movement before the next attack. True whether the fight lasts one round or twenty.

But, no, it is certainly not required.

Andreaz
2015-09-12, 08:09 AM

They usually do last three rounds. Long fights last 4 or 5.

Sacrieur
2015-09-12, 11:37 AM
OP's tactic involves rather specific placement of enemies. I think it more prudent to be able to have all the pieces fall into place in one round than cast the spell in one round and risk enemy movement before the next attack. True whether the fight lasts one round or twenty.

But, no, it is certainly not required.

Otherwise you're giving up a class level for such an ability. Up to him whether that's worth it or not.

Arc_knight25
2015-09-14, 08:12 AM
<chortle>

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add...

It will be a low OP game. I figured it would be flavourful and fun.

Rogue talents I was thinking of was, Offensive Defense for "tanking", Slow Reactions for increased party mobility(unable to make AoO) and Entangling Blades to decrease their mobility and tactics.

All of which comes from needing the one big attack for Cleave and let the Surprise Follow Through debuff the enemies I hit.

Thank you all for the ideas. Being enlarged is also a great boon for cleave since it adds reach and being able to hit more enemies.

The Ioun Stones are also a great addition.

Still from wand wise, what spells would be good to buff with?

Sacrieur
2015-09-14, 11:24 AM
... True Strike...

Arc_knight25
2015-09-14, 02:10 PM
... True Strike...

That would only be good for the first initial attack. All the other attacks made from Cleave would not have the True Strike attached for it would have been used on the first target.