PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Improved OoV Paladin capstone

Niladam
2015-09-11, 11:36 AM
So I've had this idea in my head for some time now and i was thinking of adding another line to the Avenging Angel feature (since I feel that compared to the ohers it's a little bit lacking) an I was wondering how balanced other people think this is:

During this time, you gain a number of charges of Channel Divinity: Vow of Enmity equal to your charisma modifier (a minimum of one). As an action, you can expend all these charges and Vow. Enmity against all creatures in a 5 foot radius.

I feel that it does little to alter the subclass feel and has great synergy with its other features (i.e. Relentless Avenger and Soul of Vengeance) , but maybe a bit too much? What do you guys think?

JNAProductions
2015-09-11, 01:19 PM
I think this is a straight buff to Vengeance Paladins, and I also think Paladins are one of the best (if not the best) classes in the game.

So I'd veto it in any game I DM.

Niladam
2015-09-12, 04:23 AM
I think this is a straight buff to Vengeance Paladins, and I also think Paladins are one of the best (if not the best) classes in the game.

So I'd veto it in any game I DM.

From what i've seen in the MM most creatures at that level are either imune to fear or have legendary resistance. I may be wrong since I haven't had any actual play experience at lvl 20.

So i guess my feeling is that the current capstone dosen't have the same *umf* the other classes (or even subclasses for that matter) have. I mean the sorcerer gets flight 6 levels sooner (no time limit), an allmost identical aura (arguably for only one minute) and lvl 9 spells. I would consider shortening the duration to 1 minute and add stuff to really make it a capstone.