PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mearls addresses the feedback on Psionics

fishyfishyfishy
2015-09-11, 12:06 PM
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/psionics-survey-results

Discuss

Z3ro
2015-09-11, 01:13 PM
Not much there, but I'm just glad it looks like mind thrust will be nerfed.

TopCheese
2015-09-11, 05:12 PM
Not much there, but I'm just glad it looks like mind thrust will be nerfed.

I would rather see the other classes, martials for instance, come up to match the casters than have casters further nerfed.

pwykersotz
2015-09-11, 05:27 PM
I would rather see the other classes, martials for instance, come up to match the casters than have casters further nerfed.

:smallsigh: Altering playtest material is hardly nerfing casters.

Nifft
2015-09-11, 05:33 PM
The stuff he discusses as rated low were pretty much exactly my areas of concern -- so hopefully those will get addressed, and the end result will be great.

TopCheese
2015-09-11, 05:56 PM
:smallsigh: Altering playtest material is hardly nerfing casters.

What are you talking about?

Casters got nerfed enough from older editions to now, they don't need to nerf them anymore. They also need to boost the options for non-casters. Bring everyone up to the levels of the Psionics and we can have us a decent game on our hands.

Z3ro
2015-09-11, 05:59 PM

Seeing as how this one ability was far out of line of what even of casters can do, I don't see how martial are even a part of this.

Anonymouswizard
2015-09-11, 06:16 PM

Casters got nerfed enough from older editions to now, they don't need to nerf them anymore. They also need to boost the options for non-casters. Bring everyone up to the levels of the Psionics and we can have us a decent game on our hands.

But the mystic is getting a buff as far as I understand, being able to have several powers on at once. It's just this one power that had a different power level that's being nerfed...

I agree that the fighter and rogue could do with a buff, especially in the versatility department, but I don't see what that has to do with a single mystic power.

Ralanr
2015-09-11, 06:20 PM

I feel you're trying to bring up a discussion that does not relate to the topic of this thread or does not relate to it in a healthy way (considering psionics aren't official yet and thus have no level). If I am correct then maybe you should take this to another thread?

On topic: I like the idea of making concentration an additive rather than a requirement. Allows barbarian to multiclass into something that's not fighter/rogue/druid (yes I know they can multiclass into anything, but those seem to the options that everyone goes for (and paladin) and I'm a little saddened that no one tries to use barbarian for multiclassing Sh*ts & giggles)

TopCheese
2015-09-11, 06:49 PM
But the mystic is getting a buff as far as I understand, being able to have several powers on at once. It's just this one power that had a different power level that's being nerfed...

I agree that the fighter and rogue could do with a buff, especially in the versatility department, but I don't see what that has to do with a single mystic power.

I like the powerful casters and think that all of 5e could stay simple yet get more powerful. You could keep casters, for the most part, where they are with a few minor tweaks and then bring martials up in power. After playing 3e/PF/4e for years this 5e stuff is painful.

I feel you're trying to bring up a discussion that does not relate to the topic of this thread or does not relate to it in a healthy way (considering psionics aren't official yet and thus have no level). If I am correct then maybe you should take this to another thread?

Are you saying that the 5 level psionic character had no level? I'm not sure how much more backwards that can be...

I'm saying that others should get the Psionic treatment and get a boost. The Fighter, Rogue, and Barbarian are especially needing of something to do other than damage.

Ralanr
2015-09-11, 07:22 PM
Are you saying that the 5 level psionic character had no level? I'm not sure how much more backwards that can be...

I'm saying that others should get the Psionic treatment and get a boost. The Fighter, Rogue, and Barbarian are especially needing of something to do other than damage.

Sigh...

How can I put this simply? The psionic class is not yet official. We were given an overloaded preview because it was a playtest. It was to allow us to better understand the main mechanics of psionics they were trying to push rather than say, "This is what level 1-5 psionics are going to be like! It only gets more powerful from here!"

Play any other class from 1-5. Does that cover all the mechanics of that class? No. There's still 15 levels that give more mechanics or improvements to previous mechanics to that class.

Honestly nothing frustrates me more when people say, "X class sucks because I can just take X and multiclass five levels into UA:Y to make a better version" or a better constructed way of saying it.

People treat the Unearthed Arcana like it's official D&D stuff. It's not. If it was then I think it'd be allowed in official 5e games during conventions.

Unearthed Arcana is nothing more than the creators prototype to share and ask for critique on. It's basically homebrew.

So until psionics officially comes out in a book you can buy from wizards (or in a way that elemental players companion came out) then it does not exist as an official class and therefore should not be used as the baseline to judge classes that came out before it.

Does that make sense? Or is that backwards to you? :smallannoyed:

Temperjoke
2015-09-11, 07:36 PM
I think people put too much emphasis on the UAs. They're a great source for ideas, and in the case of the Eberron UA, a way to help convert old games and characters, but they have their limits. This is how they're play testing Psionics. I'll be happy to see Awakened Mystics when they've been fleshed out a bit more, I've wanted to play this sort of character for a while.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-11, 07:55 PM
Sigh...

How can I put this simply? The psionic class is not yet official. We were given an overloaded preview because it was a playtest. It was to allow us to better understand the main mechanics of psionics they were trying to push rather than say, "This is what level 1-5 psionics are going to be like! It only gets more powerful from here!"

Play any other class from 1-5. Does that cover all the mechanics of that class? No. There's still 15 levels that give more mechanics or improvements to previous mechanics to that class.

Honestly nothing frustrates me more when people say, "X class sucks because I can just take X and multiclass five levels into UA:Y to make a better version" or a better constructed way of saying it.

People treat the Unearthed Arcana like it's official D&D stuff. It's not. If it was then I think it'd be allowed in official 5e games during conventions.

Unearthed Arcana is nothing more than the creators prototype to share and ask for critique on. It's basically homebrew.

So until psionics officially comes out in a book you can buy from wizards (or in a way that elemental players companion came out) then it does not exist as an official class and therefore should not be used as the baseline to judge classes that came out before it.

Does that make sense? Or is that backwards to you? :smallannoyed:

I don't think it matters if it is official or not, when you see good stuff you can judge official stuff by those merits.

Or you can pretend that you didn't see good stuff and pretend that there is no way for that good stuff to be in the game.

Anonymouswizard
2015-09-12, 04:24 AM
I agree with the 'it doesn't matter if it's official' crowd. My favourite class is Storm Origin Sorcerer, for the powerful and flavourful mechanics it gives (even though WotC seemed to skimp on giving casters access to an offensive spell at most levels to any element but fire). If the Origin is made official and mechanics like Storm Guide are pushed aside for mechanics like Heart of the Storm I'll be highly annoyed, because only the former feels thematic to me.