PDA

View Full Version : Item: Blast Disk question

Tyrael
2007-05-13, 04:27 AM
Ahoy. Recently creating a blast-happy kobold bomber trapsmith, I came upon the Blast Disks in the Magic Item Compendium--essentially, a land mine. Copright stuff probably prevents me from quoting it verbatim, but according to my charasheet notes,

Blast Disk: 8-inch jet-black plate, can be set to explode on proximity or timed fuse (10 rounds). Deals 5d6 fire damage to all creatures and objects within 10ft (DC14Reflex halves).
Prox fuse: Set down in a battlefield square. Next Small or larger creature to enter that square (on ground or 5 feet above) sets it off, takes -2 penalty to avoid it.
Timed fuse: Set down in a battlefield square. Explodes 10 rounds later.

DC28Search, DC28DisableDevice

My question is, once you set it down, can such a thing be picked back up again? The text makes no mention of retrieving an unexploded disk. Is it even possible? Maybe a Disable Device check to safely reset the firing pin, and then it can be re-stored in the backpack?

Jarchh
2007-05-13, 05:19 AM
Thats an interesting question.. I'm not sure of the answer, but my guess would be if it's set to proximity then no, going close to try and reset it would set it off.. though if it were timed I can see no reason why disabled device wouldnt reset it.. although the check might be higher then the one to stop it from going off, because you're not just shutting it willy nilly, you'd be shutting it down in a specific matter so that no parts are damaged and it can be reused.. though I guess it's all down to your dm.

Seffbasilisk
2007-05-13, 09:56 AM
For proximity, I'd allow disable device as well, as long as they can do it without going into the square.

Improvised long tools, longspoon tools, etc.

martyboy74
2007-05-13, 10:35 AM
For proximity, I'd allow disable device as well, as long as they can do it without going into the square.

Improvised long tools, longspoon tools, etc.

As long as the total mass of the tools didn't add up to more than a small creature, and (presumably) with a penalty for using 5' long poles to do the job.

PinkysBrain
2007-05-13, 10:39 AM
Just because traps have a proximity trigger doesn't increase their DC. Their DC is their DC, all that is taking into account.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-13, 11:12 AM
Yeah, to disable it you just make the disable device check. Even if its on a proximity fuse.

The really annoying ones are the spikes. Those you can't disarm.

martyboy74
2007-05-13, 11:31 AM
Just because traps have a proximity trigger doesn't increase their DC. Their DC is their DC, all that is taking into account.

I meant that it would be harder to disable the proximity triggered mines, because you would presumably be using tools from outside of the range. Magic, however, changes everything.

Seffbasilisk
2007-05-13, 02:00 PM
Yeah, to disable it you just make the disable device check. Even if its on a proximity fuse.

The really annoying ones are the spikes. Those you can't disarm.

Pack a flask of acid, and have a barbarian with a sledge in the party.

Easiest trap one of my rogues ever disarmed. Found a sepia snake sigil and had the illiterate barbarian just smash it until it wasn't there to be read anymore.

The New Bruceski
2007-05-13, 04:30 PM
"So what should we do if we do step on a landmine sir?"

"Well standard procedure is to jump 100 feet into the air and scatter yourself all over the battlefield."