PDA

View Full Version : need help creating an epic character

cheezu
2015-09-11, 04:39 PM
im gonna be playing a dnd 3.5 epic level game and have been told to make our characters as powerfull as possible without tweaking or bending the rules

we have a 40 pt buy in

2.1 million gold to buy gear

starting at level 25 or less if you have a level adjustment

and can use any printed book but no variant rules

im thinking the route i want to take is something ive wanted to do for a while now and build a goliath character
while im not set in stone about this but my primary build i wanted to go for:
a barbarian dungeon crasher and giving him the ability to fly so i can dungeon crash enemies into the ground with the knockback/knockdown feat.

any tips as how to optimize this build would be greatly apreciated

cheezu
2015-09-11, 04:46 PM
im thinking of maxing out his strength to start with something like a 22-24 str though not sure how to proceed,
also im thinking of trying to find a way to max out his dr cause ill probably be throwing out ac all together for the most part

though i said im not set in stone with this particular path im looking for optimization and serviveability above all else but i like the flavor of this build too

Aleolus
2015-09-11, 06:07 PM
Take the Mountain Rage alternate class feature. Its in the same book as Goliaths, and while in Rage you loose your Racial Powerful Build in exchange for becoming Large. Pair that with something that grants you the ability to use Enlarge Person, and all of the sudden your foes are looking at a Huge creature with a Strength score probably up near 40

cheezu
2015-09-11, 06:42 PM
Take the Mountain Rage alternate class feature. Its in the same book as Goliaths, and while in Rage you loose your Racial Powerful Build in exchange for becoming Large. Pair that with something that grants you the ability to use Enlarge Person, and all of the sudden your foes are looking at a Huge creature with a Strength score probably up near 40

already planing on the mountian rage the way i planned it out im already looking at around a 50 str score when i rage im more looking for balance options
cause if i start at 22 and put all my lvl points into str by 24 ill have 28 str with mountain rage and reckless rage thats another +12 so im looking at around 40 there plus a +8 bracers thats 48 then books for up to +5 so 53 str max
so i think with that i have enough str but being huge does give me advantages for bull rush and slaming people into walls or the ground if i get flying

so im mostly looking for what the best path as far as multiclassing and other items that might help this build

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-09-11, 07:03 PM
At that level, if you don't have 9th+ level spells, you'll be part of the scenery at best, or a liability to your party at worst.

You could go with an arcane gish build and still get Dungeoncrasher by going Fighter 2/ Wizard 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Incantatrix 4/ Eldritch Knight or Knight Phantom 4, then after 20th gain four more Fighter levels and then keep taking more Incantatrix. Get Arcane Disciple for a domain that gets Divine Power, so you'll have a +25 BAB and a caster level of 25. With Incantatrix you can add Persistent Spell to all your buffs. Be sure to include Selective Spell with Antimagic Field so you get to ignore its effects, but there's still an antimagic field there when determining the results of anyone else's actions, including how their actions affect you. Use Moment of Prescience to get +25 initiative, because at this rocket-tag level whoever goes first almost always wins the fight.

You could go with a Druid with a dip in Cloistered Cleric for Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell, and turn into a Dire Polar Bear with persistent buffs like Stormrage and Bite of the Werebear. You can get Improved Elemental Wild Shape and at the end of each day turn into an Immoth and store all your remaining spells as ice runes that last indefinitely and each one can be activated as a free action. Your animal companion will be just as strong a melee combatant as your proposed Goliath character. Turn into a Dire Tortoise to automatically get a surprise round on your opponents, which is often better than winning initiative.

You could make a melee Cleric with Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell, and use it with Selective Spell Antimagic Field, Divine Power, Holy Star multiple times, Stormrage, even Choose Destiny from the Destiny domain. You can still use Moment of Prescience to win initiative.

cheezu
2015-09-11, 07:08 PM
also thinking of taking the dragonborn template with goliath, but would i loose powerfull build if i did or would that stay cause thats directly related to his size?

cheezu
2015-09-11, 07:22 PM
At that level, if you don't have 9th+ level spells, you'll be part of the scenery at best, or a liability to your party at worst.

You could go with an arcane gish build and still get Dungeoncrasher by going Fighter 2/ Wizard 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Incantatrix 4/ Eldritch Knight or Knight Phantom 4, then after 20th gain four more Fighter levels and then keep taking more Incantatrix. Get Arcane Disciple for a domain that gets Divine Power, so you'll have a +25 BAB and a caster level of 25. With Incantatrix you can add Persistent Spell to all your buffs. Be sure to include Selective Spell with Antimagic Field so you get to ignore its effects, but there's still an antimagic field there when determining the results of anyone else's actions, including how their actions affect you. Use Moment of Prescience to get +25 initiative, because at this rocket-tag level whoever goes first almost always wins the fight.

You could go with a Druid with a dip in Cloistered Cleric for Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell, and turn into a Dire Polar Bear with persistent buffs like Stormrage and Bite of the Werebear. You can get Improved Elemental Wild Shape and at the end of each day turn into an Immoth and store all your remaining spells as ice runes that last indefinitely and each one can be activated as a free action. Your animal companion will be just as strong a melee combatant as your proposed Goliath character. Turn into a Dire Tortoise to automatically get a surprise round on your opponents, which is often better than winning initiative.

You could make a melee Cleric with Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell, and use it with Selective Spell Antimagic Field, Divine Power, Holy Star multiple times, Stormrage, even Choose Destiny from the Destiny domain. You can still use Moment of Prescience to win initiative.

thanks for the idea, though i think my damage output could easily be up there with the mages one on one cause by my calculations ill be doing 3d6 +40+8d6+60 by flying above them and doing a power attack, auto bullrush and trip with knockback and knockdown charge with lion totem getting all my attacks at lvl 24 im looking at around 400-500 damage on a single target in one round, ill also be supported by the two mages we have in the party

but ill definitely look into that build you mentioned, i do like the idea of a gish warrior

MorgromTheOrc
2015-09-11, 07:37 PM
thanks for the idea, though i think my damage output could easily be up there with the mages one on one cause by my calculations ill be doing 3d6 +40+8d6+60 by flying above them and doing a power attack, auto bullrush and trip with knockback and knockdown charge with lion totem getting all my attacks at lvl 24 im looking at around 400-500 damage on a single target in one round, ill also be supported by the two mages we have in the party

but ill definitely look into that build you mentioned, i do like the idea of a gish warrior

I don't think it's a damage thing, big numbers don't matter to people who can literally magically ignore anything you do. You at least need some form of protection in the form of magic or psionics, items might help this but being a caster is the best way.

cheezu
2015-09-11, 08:02 PM
I don't think it's a damage thing, big numbers don't matter to people who can literally magically ignore anything you do. You at least need some form of protection in the form of magic or psionics, items might help this but being a caster is the best way.

true though like i said i wanted to try and make this build viable ill probably end up going with a gish type warrior anyway but i wanted to see if there was a way to do make him as effective be it multi classing or items

i plan to give him the ability to fly as far as items i don't really want to make him evil so feathered wings are out, but i know there are other options out there

other then that any opinions on how to make this particular build viable?

cheezu
2015-09-11, 08:18 PM
also i was planing on his weapon to be a large Goliath great-hammer made of adimantine
any ideas as to the most effective enchantments to give it

so far what i have is fury and speed enchanmets the just flat enchantment for an additional +5 bonus
so i get a +1 to hit from adimantine, an extra attack, and +2str/con and +1 will when raging then another +5 to hit and damage

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-09-11, 10:53 PM
The arcane gish build has Incantatrix, from Player's Guide to Faerun, which has the class features Cooperative Metamagic and Metamagic Effect. Both can be used to add Persistent Spell to your buffs by making a Spellcraft check, without any increase in the level of the spell slot required to cast it. You can use Cooperative Metamagic on your own spells outside of combat, since the action economy system only exists during initiative. The Spellcraft DC for each of those is 3x(normally-applied metamagic modified spell level) + 18, so the DC to add Persistent Spell (+6) to a 9th level spell is 63. You can take ten on the check, and if you take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) at 3rd and invest every skill point you get you can have 28 ranks and +28 from Item Familiar at level 25, for a total check result of 66 without even considering your Int bonus, synergy bonuses, etc. You can automatically add Persistent Spell to (6 + 2xInt) of your spells each day. Example spells include:

Draconic Polymorph (Draconomicon): Titan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/titan.htm) for Str 51, Dex 12, Con 41, +19 natural armor, +8 to grapple, trip, bull rush, etc. from huge size, oversized weapon.

Bite of the Werebear (Spell Compendium): Str +16, Dex +2, Con +8, +7 natural armor, Power Attack, Blind-Fight, claw and bite attacks. If you have Ability Enhancer from Dragon Compendium, those stat bonuses are increased to Str +18, Dex +4, Con +10.

Superior Invisibility (Spell Compendium): You're invisible and inaudible, nothing can see or hear you, and you're undetectable to scent, blindsense, tremorsense, and blindsight. This cannot be thwarted by See Invisibility, Faerie Fire, Glitterdust, Invisibility Purge, or Dust of Appearance. True Seeing can detect you, but it has a maximum range of 120 feet, and Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) and a few other special senses can detect you, but plenty of opponents will be completely unable to detect you.

Swift Fly (Spell Compendium): As Fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fly.htm) but it's personal-range so you can make it persistent. You're slowed down by armor but not by encumbrance. Alternatively, the spell Adamantine Wings (Complete Mage) lasts an hour/level and grants the same fly speed and maneuverability, plus you get to make wing attacks.

Choose Destiny (Races of Destiny) via Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine) for the Destiny domain: Every time you roll a d20, you roll twice and keep the better result. Every attack roll, saving throw, skill check, ability check, etc. is rolled twice, and you keep the higher roll. Requires Wis 19, but you can have Wis 13 and a +6 item.

Divine Power (PHB) via Arcane Disciple (CD) for one of several domains, such as War (Heironeous offers both War and Destiny): Your BAB equals your character level, and you get some temporary HP and a bonus to Str that's significantly lower than what Bite of the Werebear gives you. In the epic levels your BAB is equal to your character level.

Ray Deflection (Spell Compendium): Ranged touch attacks targeted at you automatically miss, no exceptions. True Strike attacks still miss you. Beholder eye rays automatically miss you. Mailman attack methods automatically miss you.

Friendly Fire (Exemplars of Evil, the spell itself is not evil): Ranged attacks targeted at you can be redirected to a different target of your choosing, including opponents and even the original attacker if he's close enough.

Arcane Spellsurge (Dragon Magic): Your standard-action spells can be cast as a swift action, your full-round action and 1-round casting time spells can be cast as a standard action. It basically Quickens all your spells for free.

Greater Dimension Jumper (Complete Mage): You can teleport up to 60 feet once per round as a swift action.

Wraithstrike (Spell Compendium): Your melee attacks are resolved as melee touch attacks. You get to ignore your opponents' armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses.

Antimagic Field (PHB) with Selective Spell (Shining South): You're surrounded by an Antimagic Field, but your spells, items, and actions get to completely ignore it. Everyone else is affected normally by it. Wear a Starmantle Cloak (Book of Exalted Deeds) and any nonmagical weapon that strikes you, including natural weapons, is automatically destroyed and deals no damage to you. Any weapon that strikes you will be within your Antimagic Field and rendered nonmagical at the time it strikes you, so every weapon that ever hits you, including natural weapons, will be automatically destroyed, leaving you unharmed. This is assuming they can see through your Superior Invisibility (assuming their senses can penetrate the Antimagic Field) and can hit your insane AC.

Your AC should be something like the following: AC 91 — 10 base, +19 Natural (Titan), +7 Enhancement to Natural (Bite of the Wearbear), +13 Armor (Greater Luminous Armor (BoED) with Abjurant Champion 5, plus melee attacks that rely on vision take a -4 to hit you), +5 Enhancement to Armor (Magic Vestment via Arcane Disciple: War), +9 Shield (Shield spell with Abjurant Champion 5), +5 Enhancement to Shield (Magic Vestment via Arcane Disciple: War and a 3rd level Pearl of Power), +3 Dex (Titan plus Bite of the Werebear), +12 Monk (Monk's Belt plus Kung-Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk to switch it to your Int bonus), -2 size (Titan), +10 Defending (two +1 Defending Gauntlets with Greater Magic Weapon +5, Defending stacks with all other bonuses including other Defending bonuses).

Your attacks should look something like the following:
Str 71 (Titan 43, Draconic Polymorph +8, Bite of the Werebear + Ability Enhancer +18, Elation +2), +30 bonus
Huge +1 Valorous Morningstar (Greater Magic Weapon +5, Greater Mighty Wallop: Colossal): +33/+28/+23/+18 melee touch, 6d6+5 +45 Str +50 Power Attack, plus Dungeoncrasher for 8d6+90, total 14d6+190, average 239 damage per hit, four attacks per round.

On a charge you deal double damage (valorous), on a dive attack you deal triple damage (dive attack + valorous). With Leap Attack your Power Attack bonus is increased by 100% before it gets doubled (can't be combined with dive attack). You're easily looking at dealing over a thousand damage per round, and you'll be nearly invulnerable to anything the opponents can throw at you.

cheezu
2015-09-12, 12:54 AM
The arcane gish build has Incantatrix, from Player's Guide to Faerun, which has the class features Cooperative Metamagic and Metamagic Effect. Both can be used to add Persistent Spell to your buffs by making a Spellcraft check, without any increase in the level of the spell slot required to cast it. You can use Cooperative Metamagic on your own spells outside of combat, since the action economy system only exists during initiative. The Spellcraft DC for each of those is 3x(normally-applied metamagic modified spell level) + 18, so the DC to add Persistent Spell (+6) to a 9th level spell is 63. You can take ten on the check, and if you take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) at 3rd and invest every skill point you get you can have 28 ranks and +28 from Item Familiar at level 25, for a total check result of 66 without even considering your Int bonus, synergy bonuses, etc. You can automatically add Persistent Spell to (6 + 2xInt) of your spells each day. Example spells include:

Draconic Polymorph (Draconomicon): Titan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/titan.htm) for Str 51, Dex 12, Con 41, +19 natural armor, +8 to grapple, trip, bull rush, etc. from huge size, oversized weapon.

Bite of the Werebear (Spell Compendium): Str +16, Dex +2, Con +8, +7 natural armor, Power Attack, Blind-Fight, claw and bite attacks. If you have Ability Enhancer from Dragon Compendium, those stat bonuses are increased to Str +18, Dex +4, Con +10.

Superior Invisibility (Spell Compendium): You're invisible and inaudible, nothing can see or hear you, and you're undetectable to scent, blindsense, tremorsense, and blindsight. This cannot be thwarted by See Invisibility, Faerie Fire, Glitterdust, Invisibility Purge, or Dust of Appearance. True Seeing can detect you, but it has a maximum range of 120 feet, and Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) and a few other special senses can detect you, but plenty of opponents will be completely unable to detect you.

Swift Fly (Spell Compendium): As Fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fly.htm) but it's personal-range so you can make it persistent. You're slowed down by armor but not by encumbrance. Alternatively, the spell Adamantine Wings (Complete Mage) lasts an hour/level and grants the same fly speed and maneuverability, plus you get to make wing attacks.

Choose Destiny (Races of Destiny) via Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine) for the Destiny domain: Every time you roll a d20, you roll twice and keep the better result. Every attack roll, saving throw, skill check, ability check, etc. is rolled twice, and you keep the higher roll. Requires Wis 19, but you can have Wis 13 and a +6 item.

Divine Power (PHB) via Arcane Disciple (CD) for one of several domains, such as War (Heironeous offers both War and Destiny): Your BAB equals your character level, and you get some temporary HP and a bonus to Str that's significantly lower than what Bite of the Werebear gives you. In the epic levels your BAB is equal to your character level.

Ray Deflection (Spell Compendium): Ranged touch attacks targeted at you automatically miss, no exceptions. True Strike attacks still miss you. Beholder eye rays automatically miss you. Mailman attack methods automatically miss you.

Friendly Fire (Exemplars of Evil, the spell itself is not evil): Ranged attacks targeted at you can be redirected to a different target of your choosing, including opponents and even the original attacker if he's close enough.

Arcane Spellsurge (Dragon Magic): Your standard-action spells can be cast as a swift action, your full-round action and 1-round casting time spells can be cast as a standard action. It basically Quickens all your spells for free.

Greater Dimension Jumper (Complete Mage): You can teleport up to 60 feet once per round as a swift action.

Wraithstrike (Spell Compendium): Your melee attacks are resolved as melee touch attacks. You get to ignore your opponents' armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses.

Antimagic Field (PHB) with Selective Spell (Shining South): You're surrounded by an Antimagic Field, but your spells, items, and actions get to completely ignore it. Everyone else is affected normally by it. Wear a Starmantle Cloak (Book of Exalted Deeds) and any nonmagical weapon that strikes you, including natural weapons, is automatically destroyed and deals no damage to you. Any weapon that strikes you will be within your Antimagic Field and rendered nonmagical at the time it strikes you, so every weapon that ever hits you, including natural weapons, will be automatically destroyed, leaving you unharmed. This is assuming they can see through your Superior Invisibility (assuming their senses can penetrate the Antimagic Field) and can hit your insane AC.

Your AC should be something like the following: AC 91 — 10 base, +19 Natural (Titan), +7 Enhancement to Natural (Bite of the Wearbear), +13 Armor (Greater Luminous Armor (BoED) with Abjurant Champion 5, plus melee attacks that rely on vision take a -4 to hit you), +5 Enhancement to Armor (Magic Vestment via Arcane Disciple: War), +9 Shield (Shield spell with Abjurant Champion 5), +5 Enhancement to Shield (Magic Vestment via Arcane Disciple: War and a 3rd level Pearl of Power), +3 Dex (Titan plus Bite of the Werebear), +12 Monk (Monk's Belt plus Kung-Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk to switch it to your Int bonus), -2 size (Titan), +10 Defending (two +1 Defending Gauntlets with Greater Magic Weapon +5, Defending stacks with all other bonuses including other Defending bonuses).

Str 71 (Titan 43, Draconic Polymorph +8, Bite of the Werebear + Ability Enhancer +18, Elation +2), +30 bonus
Huge +1 Valorous Morningstar (Greater Magic Weapon +5, Greater Mighty Wallop: Colossal): +33/+28/+23/+18 melee touch, 6d6+5 +45 Str +50 Power Attack, plus Dungeoncrasher for 8d6+90, total 14d6+190, average 239 damage per hit, four attacks per round.

On a charge you deal double damage (valorous), on a dive attack you deal triple damage (dive attack + valorous). With Leap Attack your Power Attack bonus is increased by 100% before it gets doubled (can't be combined with dive attack). You're easily looking at dealing over a thousand damage per round, and you'll be nearly invulnerable to anything the opponents can throw at you.

all i have to say is wow that is op and would undoubtably break the game but could be fun to play with till my dm realizes just how op it is and makes me rebuild it but wow

Inevitability
2015-09-12, 02:15 PM
Judging from your response to the arcane gish, I think your group has a different definition of 'optimized' than the average forumgoer. Could you give some examples of what other players might be bringing and what monsters you will face?

cheezu
2015-09-12, 06:47 PM
Judging from your response to the arcane gish, I think your group has a different definition of 'optimized' than the average forumgoer. Could you give some examples of what other players might be bringing and what monsters you will face?

well i know we will have at least 2 straight mages idk if we will have a healer though i was told to make my character as selfsufficient as i could
i do like the incantrix build it looks fun but i fear it might break the game,

i really wanted to try and do that flying dungeon crasher build cause i love the idea of pounding enemies into the ground but as far as for a roleplaying aspect an all day polymorph would be tricky
and for enemies i was told to expect epic enemies but thats about it the dm is keeping quiet as far as what the quests will be like, we may be underground alot so polymorphing into a huge creature just wouldn't be feasable but as i said it is a really cool concept and i might incorporate some of that cause it would give me alot of flexability but ive never really played a straight magic type idk if an epic game is the best for me to try one
now if there was a way to give me an astronomical str score and still have survivability while staying in the medium large category then that would be more along the lines of what im looking for
plus i get 2.1 mil in gold to buy stuff so im also looking for ideas for items to that end

cheezu
2015-09-12, 07:12 PM
basically i don't want in invincible build cause then theres no fear of failure its just pounding the **** out of everything with no fear in the world,
but i know ill need something with survivability cause its so high level.
and i wanted to do something along the lines of the goliath dungeoncrasher cause of the knockback knockdown combo it seams powerfull enough to be my main way of dealing with enemies, but my main issue is suvivability i fear while this build would be fun to play and be good melee it may be weak defense and at that level that may be a death sentence, what im really curious is if anyone knows a way to make a non magic character that could hold their own at that level, if possible keeping with my desired build or at least the spirit of it
idk if that even makes since or if its even possible to build

cheezu
2015-09-12, 11:51 PM

now if i were to use this build what other polymorph creatures would be good with it cause i may not always be able to be huge, ie if we were in an underground with a ceiling of 10-15ft i wouldn't realistically be able to be that big though i should be able to get my str up to around 40-50 without polymorph just looking for alternatives