PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter, Lord of Battle [5e Fighter Remake/Fix/Whatever][WIP][First Draft]

TopCheese
2015-09-11, 06:44 PM
So I'm not really fond of the 5e martials, a bit boring for my taste, so I'm spicing some stuff up and giving at least the Fighter a massive power boost from level 10 onward. Not balanced versus martials at higher levels but should do a bit better. It doesn't really stand toe to toe with a 20th level wizard but you can stand tall against enemies and have stuff to do, at will, that will keep you from ever being a *move and hit* type character, unless you want to be a *move and hit* type of character. :smallsmile:

The Fighter

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d10 per fighter level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + Constitution Modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per fighter level after 1st

Proficiencies

Armor: All armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: One tool of your choice
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Any two

Equipment

(a) chain mail or (b) leather, longbow, and 20 arrows
(a) a martial weapon and a shield or (b) two martial weapons
(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) two hand axes
Any one type of pack

Fighting Style

As Fighter class feature, page 72 PHB.

Second Wind

As a bonus action on your turn, or as a reaction after taking damage, you can draw on your stamina to protect yourself from harm and help push through pain and injury. You heal a number of hit points equal to 1d10 (Minimum ½ Fighter Level) + Constitution Modifier. Once you use this feature you must finish a rest before you may use it again.

Battle Surge

Once per rest during your turn, you may perform any action granted to you from your fighter levels as a free action. You may use this twice per rest at level 17. (will work on later)
Battle Technique (will change name)
Choose one of the following options.
Four times per rest you may add a d8 to your weapon damage. You may add only 1d8 to a single weapon damage roll but if you make multiple weapon damage rolls in a round (bonus action, extra attack feature, reaction) you may add a d8 to each individual attacks. At level 7 and 15 you gain an addition use of this ability per rest. At level 10 the die size increases to d10 and at level 18 the die size increases to d12.
Whenever you make a weapon attack roll you may score a critical hit on a natural roll of 19 or 20. At level 7 this increases to 18, 19, or 20. At level 18 this critical range increases to 17, 18, 19, or 20.

Fighter’s Dominion

At 3rd level you may choose an archetype that your character strives to perfect. Choose Ravager, Warlord, or Eldritch Knight, all detailed at the end of the class description. The fighter dominion you choose to become lord over grants you features at Fighter level 3, 7, 10, 15, and 18.
Battle Dominions give the Fighter maneuvers or spells that are activated with a bonus action and last until the start of their next turn unless they say otherwise.
Saving Throw DC for your maneuvers or spells is equal to 8 + Your Str or Dex Modifier + Your Prof Bonus.

Ability Score Improvement

Extra Attack

At level 6 your weapon attacks ignore resistances to non-magical weapons and at level 14 immunity to non-magical weapons become resistance.

Indomitable

Beginning at 9th level, you can reroll a saving throw that you fail once per short rest. This reroll is a Constitution saving throw if your bonus is higher than the original saving throw bonus. At level 13 you may use Indomitable twice per short rest. At level 17 you may use Indomitable thrice per short rest.

Fighter’s Dominions
Different Fighters are masters over specific way of destroying their enemies. There are three main Dominions that are presented below, the Ravager, the Warlord, and the Eldritch Knight.

Ravaging Maneuvers (Level 3): You gain the following maneuvers but may ready three per long rest. You may switch out which maneuvers you know during a long rest.

Evade: Gain ½ proficiency bonus against OA when you move.
Lunge: Increase the reach of your weapon by 5’ if melee or 10’ if thrown.
Push: Push a target 5’ when you hit with a weapon attack. You may move with the creature.
Break Item: You may use this maneuver to attempt to break an item that is not held or wielded by a creature (or thing if you want to get technical) that isn't incapacitated.

Relentless Reaction (Level 7): Gain one reaction per turn, you may use these extra reactions to make weapon attacks.
Remarkable Constitution (Level 10): Whenever you attempt a constitution save and fail, the duration of the effect ends at the start of your next turn. You may use this feature once per rest. Additionally you have advantage against death effects (and effects that out right kill targets outright on a hit or failed save) and on death saving throws.
Undying to Luck (Level 15): You are immune to critical hits. When a creature scores a critical hit against you, treat it as a normal hit. Effects that trigger off critical hits only trigger if they would also trigger off a normal hit.
Survivor (Level 18): At the start of each of your turns you gain a number of hit points equal to Strength or Dexterity Modifier + Constitution Score as long as you have no more than 75% of your Hit Points. You don’t gain this benefit if you are dead.

Warlord Maneuvers (Level 3): You gain the following maneuvers but may ready three per long rest. You may switch out which maneuvers you know during a long rest.

Command: After you hit an enemy with a weapon, you may use this maneuver to allow another creature to use their reaction to make a weapon attack against the same target.
Distract: After you hit an enemy with a weapon, you may use this maneuver to allow the next attack against the target (other than yours) to have advantage.
Goading: After you hit an enemy with a weapon, you may use this maneuver. If the target fails a Wis Save versus your DC the target must include you in its next attack.
Rally: After you hit an enemy with a weapon, you may use this maneuver to bolster an ally. When you do choose a creature that can see and hear you; that creature gains a number of Temp HP equal to your Charisma Modifier.
Reposition: After you hit an enemy with a weapon, you may use this maneuver to allow an ally that can see and hear you to use their reaction and move without provoking OA from the enemy you hit.

Leer (Level 7): By using your action you learn four of the following details about a creature (Strength Score, Dexterity Score, Constitution Score, Armor Class, Current HP, Max HP, Total Class Levels (if any), and Total Fighter Levels (if any))
Warlord’s Cunning (Level 10): Choose 4 skills from the Int or Cha skill lists. You always roll these skills with advantage.
Undying Will (Level 15): You are immune to being charmed or having your actions decided for you through magic or other effects. Though you can still be persuaded by mundane means, magic spells such as Command, Compelled Duel, Compulsion, and Confusion have no effect on you.
Survivor (Level 18): At the start of each of your turns you gain a number of hit points equal to Strength or Dexterity Modifier + Constitution Score as long as you have no more than 50% of your Hit Points. You don’t gain this benefit if you are dead.

Eldritch Knight Spells (Level 3): You gain three of the following spells. You may use these spells when you are wielding your Bonded Weapon.

Elemental Control: Whenever you use this spell you may use one of the following cantrips; Control Flames, Gust, Mold Earth, or Shape Water.
Elemental Blade: Whenever you use this spell you may change your weapon type to one of the following elemental types (concentration ends); Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning.
Elemental Ward: Whenever you use this spell you gain resistance to an elemental type from the following list (concentration ends): Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning.
Menacing Strike: Whenever you use this spell a ghostly visage appears above you. Choose a creature within 30’, that creature must pass an Int save or be charmed until the end of your next turn.
Arcane Riposte: Whenever you use this spell a small creature of your design made of magical energies appears in your space (concentration ends). Whenever you are attacked by an adjacent creature you may, as a reaction action, allow the creature to strike out at the creature. The creature deals 1d6 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage and disappears (damage type is magical and is decided upon casting this spell). The target gains a Dexterity Save to avoid the damage.

Weapon Bond (Level 3): As Fighter class feature, page 75 PHB. When casting a spell through your weapon bond, you may add your Battle Surge damage bonus to your spell damage as if it was weapon damage. This bonus damage only applies to one target if you are using an AoE spell.
Arcane Knowledge I (Level 7): You gain a spell book but due to your limited time for study cannot use it as effectively as a typical wizard though your increased endurance does allow you to use spells more often. You can never have more spells in your spell book than your intelligence modifier (minimum 1). Choose a number of spells from the wizard spell list equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum 1) that are 3rd level or lower, you may cast one of these spells once per rest. You prepare your spell during your rest as a wizard would, however you cast spells per short or long rest.
Arcane Knowledge II (Level 10): You may now use spells up to 4th level from the wizard spell list, and upon gaining this ability may switch out one spell. You may cast two spells from your spell book per rest.
Arcane Mark (Level 15): As a bonus action you may project an arcane mark onto a target you can see within 100’. Until your concentration ends you may teleport to that creature by using your movement as long as the creature is still on the same plane of existence as you.
Arcane Knowledge III (Level 18): You may now use spells up to 5th level from the wizard spell list, you may cast three of these spells per rest. Upon gaining this ability you may switch out one spell that you have in your spell book. Additionally, with help from a wizard ally from your background (or current ally), you have learned to understand one 6th level spell from the wizard spell list in addition to the spells already in your book. Once written in your book and studied you cannot change this spell, it is the only one you understand. You may cast this spell once per long rest.

Battle Oracle Maneuvers and Spells (Level 3): You gain the following maneuvers and Spells but may ready three per long rest. You may switch out which maneuvers or spells you know during a long rest.

Taunt: After you hit an enemy with a weapon, you use this spell to cause an enemy to show you their past. You may utter a word, phrase, or sound that causes the enemy to take disadvantage on their next saving throw. The enemy gains a Wis save to negate this effect.
Parry: After you hit an enemy with a weapon, you glimpse into the future. The next damage roll against you is reduced by 1/2 your proficiency bonus.
Precise Strike: Before making a weapon attack you may use this spell to look into the future. You may remove one source of disadvantage for the first weapon attack you make before the start of your next turn.
Rally: After you hit an enemy with a weapon, you may use this maneuver to bolster an ally. When you do choose a creature that can see and hear you; that creature gains a number of Temp HP equal to your Charisma Modifier.
Reposition: After you hit an enemy with a weapon, you may use this maneuver to allow an ally that can see and hear you to use their reaction and move without provoking OA from the enemy you hit.

Verbal Insight (Level 3): You may speak with any creature that has a language. Creatures without languages can pick up basic emotions from you easily.
Leer (Level 7):
True Sight (Level 10):
Undying Will (Level 15):
Survivor (Level 18):

I'm going to allow players the choice between battle surge second bullet and an increased crit range like the champion gains.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-16, 10:37 AM
I playtested the Ravager at level 8 in a one shot and this actually worked out great. My damage output was comparable to a Battle Master (due to the separation of damage and maneuvers) and I was able to do interesting things without having to wonder if in actually could do them.

Lunge, Push, and Trip were some of my favorites but I switched them out for Ark and Evade from time to time. Evade worked well as the Fighter's disengage. Fighters don't disengage, they just pick a new target of you aren't worth their time. Lunge was worth a Bonus action, I really loved the increased range of my greatsword, I ended up role-playing it as a speed boost.

The level 7 feature was didn't really boost my DPR, well, that is until my party members started using spells that made characters move under their own actions. The cleric and the bard really had some fun playing ping pong with command (approach).

I can't wait to use this in the next one shot, which will be at level 15.

Could you clarify the level 15 feature?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, extra attack is only gained at level 5 right? I assume as such since they have their own way to boost damage and don't really need the extra attacks.

TopCheese
2015-09-18, 11:12 AM
I playtested the Ravager at level 8 in a one shot and this actually worked out great. My damage output was comparable to a Battle Master (due to the separation of damage and maneuvers) and I was able to do interesting things without having to wonder if in actually could do them.

Lunge, Push, and Trip were some of my favorites but I switched them out for Ark and Evade from time to time. Evade worked well as the Fighter's disengage. Fighters don't disengage, they just pick a new target of you aren't worth their time. Lunge was worth a Bonus action, I really loved the increased range of my greatsword, I ended up role-playing it as a speed boost.

The level 7 feature was didn't really boost my DPR, well, that is until my party members started using spells that made characters move under their own actions. The cleric and the bard really had some fun playing ping pong with command (approach).

I can't wait to use this in the next one shot, which will be at level 15.

Could you clarify the level 15 feature?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, extra attack is only gained at level 5 right? I assume as such since they have their own way to boost damage and don't really need the extra attacks.

Thanks for testing it out :)

The level 15 feature will be clarified later, it essentially will be anything other than direct damage that would kill you outright (power word kill for example). I will probably put something in there about disentergrate. It may kill you/bring you to zero based on damage, but it won't actually disentergrate your body.

Extra attack is as normal, this way the damage stays comparable to the Battle Master.