PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

SarcastooOOvius
2015-09-11, 11:49 PM
I like Anarion's comment that Durkula is an entity, not just an evil extension of Hel. Inhabiting a dwarf body for any reason just doesn't seem like something any goddess would do. However, I can't get out out my head the comments Durkula said in #991 and #992 that the mustache itches and the blood gets stuck in the whiskers. Actually, that sounds more like an entity who is used to a sleek, smooth coat of scales. Even though Malak was declared good and gone, I'm not sure it would be hard for Hel to reach into the good and gone realm and make Malak an offer he couldn't refuse. Help Hel destroy the world? One scoop of irony. Coming back as Durkon? That's the topping on the double scoop. The general snottiness of Durkula's tone also reminds me of Malak. But then, maybe I just miss him.(Tee-Hee! So.Snotty.)

Also, to add to the “impaling vampires with a stick” argument, I want to use the contributions of all those who say Durkon will find a way to distract Durkula from the “inside.” Then, after Belkar uses up all the available curtain rods and umbrella handles impaling Twilight Stoners on the way into the temple, maybe Belkar will arrive in the Great Nave in time to be the Great Knave who, in one leap, dislodges and pitches up to Roy the only stick he sees available. He will also have to make a donation to Odin. :)!

Don't tell me about levels and saves. I don't play DD. I just like the story-telling here. I can't wait for the next panel, even though, like Foobar 1969 said, Mr. Burlew is probably going to cut away to someplace else for the next 4 or so panels.

Probably with a week between each of them. Ha, ha!

NerdyKris
2015-09-12, 06:43 AM
Malack created vamped Durkon. He can't be in both bodies at once. Also, Durkon's soul was created in Hel's realm, as she said, so it's a new entity.

I didn't think anyone thought he was just an extension of Hel. Nothing at all in the comic suggests that, especially the conversation between Durkon and Hel.

edit- fixed a typo.

Shining Wrath
2015-09-12, 06:50 AM
Malack's soul, per word of Giant, came from his god Nergal.
HPoH's soul, as shown in-strip, came from Hel.

They are distinct spiritual entities, each being more like a possessing fiend than a humanoid soul.

Vinyadan
2015-09-12, 07:39 AM
As it has been said, the dark spirits inhabiting Durkon's and Malak's bodies do come from different places. At least, even in comic, it would be hard to think that Malak's spirit came from Hel's halls.

However, I think it would be a very cool idea for a campaign setting to say that vampire spirits kind of reproduce through budding. The vampire creates a vampire spawn, giving it vegetative functions, but no autonomous intellect. That's why the spawn isn't autonomous in its choices. When the vampire is destroyed, the part of his spirit relating to intellect goes into one of its spawns, who so appears to have free will, while it is now simply directly controlled by the old master. The part of the master's spirit which dealt with the vegetative functions of the old vampire is used up for creating intellects for the other spawns, so that they get free will and become fully fledged vampires. In other words, the only way to definitely thwart a vampire's plans would be to destroy all of its spawns or to cast a homebrewed soul bind (spirit trap).

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-09-12, 09:16 AM
I'll just point to my signature.

littlebum2002
2015-09-12, 09:49 AM
I'll just point to my signature.

I imagine that comes in handy a lot around here