PDA

View Full Version : The Rock: A plot in the Town. Please Reveiw.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 09:17 AM
Well, I just wrote up a plot for the Town that is apparently well written (not my words, I assure you.) As such, I'd like it critiqued.

Yes, it does display some Prattchetarian influence. An homage to an incredible writer.

Without further ado:

The Rock

Too the casual observer, space, the ultimate penumbra, isn't that interesting. In fact, it looks quite like someone sprinkled glitter into a pool of ink.

Of course, it only gets interesting when you use more focus.

And now, let us zoom in from this infinite spectacle where everything can happen, to somewhere where everything does.

Ca-Click.

To the casual observer now, there would be no practical difference. To the educated, interested observer, there would be a slight difference- a difference in star placement here, a missing star there. Still not enough focus.

Ca-Click

Now, we reach the point where the casual observer may notice the difference; the stars all look bigger now, and you can spot identifiable galaxies. However, our path takes us even closer.

Ca-Click.

We are now focused on a single galaxy. It is a swirling, beautiful thing, housing many wonders and many profanities, many wondrous beings and many vile ones. But our path does not end here. It takes us closer.

Ca-Click.

Our focus is now a quadrant. Individual stars can now be seen, and the interested mind can speculate what wonders they hold, what peoples each houses. And yet again we walk our path, leading us closer.

Ca-Click.

We now observe a sector. Now not only can stars bee seen, large planets can be also. It is at this point the normal mans mind would begin to warp; to accept the existence of such a thing takes legendary wisdom.

Ca-Click.

And now, in one glorious moment, we see a solar system in all of it's glory. Large planets, small planets, satellites, moons, and for some reason an extra-terrestrial penguin can be seen. Our view gazes to a particular planet, and focuses further.

Ca-Click.

On this planet we see many things, oceans, deserts, and most surprising at all, life. Of all the planets in the galaxy, why should this one have life? Because the gods chose it so? Because Fate is playing tricks? Who knows, unless we move in even further.

Ca-Click.

We are now focused on an unusual town, which contains a variety of beings from a variety of places, all with one thing that binds them, a restless spirit and a roving mind. Should your eyes be able to see through matter, you will see women cooking, children playing, couples doing...couplie-things. And should your eyes be even further attuned, you may be able to see tangents of reality off from the normal one. However, let your gaze slide...

Ca-Click.

Our focus is now not on the town, but millions of miles away. A speck, in the grand scheme of things less significant than a flake of skin, may be seen to move. It is known as The Rock. And it is on a collision course with our planet, and indeed our town.

This is how the world ends. Not with a whimper but a bang.

Jibar
2007-05-13, 11:00 AM
Very Pratchett-esque, with a hint of Adams. I like it.
It would be interesting if you guys did end it.
We're having problems with the board as it, so maybe one fell swoop of this rock, the Town gets cleared for space, and you guys get to use this as a whole new starting point.
It woulds sure as hell be interesting. Especially seeing how characters react to losing everything.
Besides, it opens whole new areas for roleplaying. Building a whole new Town, from scratch. That forest won't be standing long.

J_Muller
2007-05-13, 02:34 PM
Very Pratchett-esque, with a hint of Adams. I like it.
It would be interesting if you guys did end it.
We're having problems with the board as it, so maybe one fell swoop of this rock, the Town gets cleared for space, and you guys get to use this as a whole new starting point.
It woulds sure as hell be interesting. Especially seeing how characters react to losing everything.
Besides, it opens whole new areas for roleplaying. Building a whole new Town, from scratch. That forest won't be standing long.

Sort of like this?

First, there is a terrible feeling. Your stomach seems to want to leap up your throat, a product of a massive gravitational pull from somewhere directly above you.

The Rock is coming.

Then, the sky darkens, the sun's light intercepted by a heavenly body of seemingly impossible mass. You look up, but all you can see now is an indistinct outline of a massive object. It seems to draw nearer, and you feel a sense of almost overwhelming despair, as your subconscious realizes what is happening. Frantically, the parts of your brain that know what is going on block themselves off to prevent you from going insane with the realization of your impending doom. There is even magic in the air, a dread magic that carries with it fear and despair.

The Rock is coming.

As you stare upwards, the realization of what is happening finally hits you. Some may go insane. Some may break down in a panic, running around frantically looking for an escape. Few may even act calmly, finding their escape however they choose.

The Rock is coming.

As the massive interstellar object draws nearer, features can be made out. However, there are no features to be seen--simply an endless expanse of smooth, round rock. As it draws nearer, your vision begins to blur at the edges as reality itself is warped by the massive body.

Suddenly, The Rock is here.

Reality shatters as an interstellar body of incomprehensible mass impacts The Town. The ground drops out from under you, replaced by sky. The air near you shatters like a wall. Pouring out are thousands and thousands of letters and numbers, as your mind struggles to give shape and form to what is coming out of this tear in the fabric of reality.

The world swirls around you, and suddenly you hear music, an almost heavenly choir singing as the Town itself buckles as one. You see a penguin and a man with no arms frantically chasing a pair of floating arms run by.

The ground/sky below you rumbles while the myriad buildings of The Town are cast upwards to meet with The Rock. You catch a glimpse of the indestructible Trog's Tavern being swallowed up by the mass, disappearing as a whole. Then, your mind overloaded by the tears in the fabric of reality, you black out.

Goblin Music
2007-05-13, 09:16 PM
Remember Talis it is better to go out with a bang then to fade away - Talis' talking scope

Jibar
2007-05-14, 11:37 AM
Sort of like this?

Umm... yeah. Yeah, sort of like that.
That should so totally happen.

AmberVael
2007-05-14, 11:59 AM
But- but- but-
Town! No blowing up Town! :smallfrown:

Bookman
2007-05-14, 01:49 PM
I demand you change the name to "The Meteor" as The Rock is a peaceful rock with some browns and grays on the mayoral nomination stage waiting for next nominations:tongue: :wink:

Just kidding..........mostly :tongue:

MrEdwardNigma
2007-05-14, 02:02 PM
I love the idea, and I'd totally join the ensuing madness. The town is up for some change, I think. Yup, just pm me if this rock starts heading towards the town.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-14, 04:04 PM
It already has.

You have 40 days to get it to change course, blow it up or erase it from existence.

Otherwise, SPLAT!

Don't worry, though. Iames is on it. Should you guys not figure out a way of getting rid of it.

J_Muller
2007-05-14, 05:56 PM
Umm... yeah. Yeah, sort of like that.
That should so totally happen.

So does that seem like a quality writeup for that sort of event?

But- but- but-
Town! No blowing up Town! :smallfrown:

It's not permanent. Just a reset. Gives everyone a plot to get involved in.

It's not like the Town will be gone for good. It'll just be different. Those who want to stay will rebuild. Some new people might even come it.

IDEA! (lightbulb clicks on)

We can use this to revitalize The Town. Everyone adds something like "The Rock is Coming" to their signature, with a link to the thread. SotS can edit the first post in the thread with OOC text to the effect that everyone on the forum is encouraged to come visit The Town. Some may not stay very long, but some might.

I haven't given all that much thought to this, but I've been tossing the idea of something like this around for a while: A Town-wide plot event that encourages non-Townies to join. The idea is that no matter how the plot turns out, we get a large influx of new people.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-15, 01:10 AM
*shrugs* I never thought a plot I came up with and wrote in ten minutes would get this response. The writing isn't that good, fairly mediocre to my hypercritical mind, and it is the Townies choice whether the Rock should do anything.

With as many god characters as we have, the Rock isn't much of a danger, and rebuilding would be easy.

AmberVael
2007-05-15, 12:55 PM
Read the latest post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2590091#post2590091) for musical explanation of why the Town won't blow up, and for a rewriting of a Spamalot song- "You Won't Succeed on Broadway."

Warpfire
2007-05-15, 03:34 PM
The idea of destroying the town and rebuilding it is interesting...but in the end, as much as I hate to say it (:smalltongue: ), I agree with Vael. Despite how cool this idea might be, it'd be nigh-on impossible to get enough people going along with it to make it happen.

The writing is fairly good, though.

J_Muller
2007-05-15, 05:12 PM
Eh. My idea above originally came to me when it looked like a third Guild War was brewing, and I suppose it would be hard to apply here...

Don't expect stopping the Rock to be that easy, though...

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-16, 12:50 AM
Seeing as I'm the one in control of it, I think I can say just how easy it will be.

But it ain't gonna be exploding the town.

Of course, some peoples reactions, on the other hand...