PDA

View Full Version : Interesting eco systems and re-skins

ZeroGear
2015-09-12, 10:20 AM
One think that I've noticed in a lotos campaign settings is that they tend to keep a lot of eco systems pretty close to that of earth., and that seems a bit strange to me.
I've found myself thinking "why does every world have cats, dogs, parrots, cows, horses, etc.?"
Even with all of the unique addition of creatures like griffons, dragons, purple worms, dire animals, and other entries from monster manuals, these creatures are often only depicted eating the common creatures of earth, and not being prayed on.
So, here are some fantasy animal re-skins that you can use to spice up your settings:

Drakin (use the stats for deer): The drakin is a small offshoot of dragons that is adapted for survival in forests and grassy plains. Diminutive compared to the adults of their ancestor race, darkins stand barely taller than the average adult human, their slim agile bodies held aloft on slender legs that end in cleaved hooves. While they do have tails, they are much shorter and thinner than most other reptiles. Their heads are long and pointed with large eyes and pointed ears, males having branching antlers. Their scales are relatively soft and tiny, acting more like a pelt of fur that traps air to provide warmth. Flightless, they rely on running and leaping to avoid predators (which include dire beasts, griffons, true dragons, and occasionally humans). Shy by nature, darkins are warm-blooded grazers that would prefer to be left alone. Colors can range depending on climate, with deep reds and browns being the most common. Silver drakins are the rarest of the species, and are said to bring extreme fortune to those brave enough to hunt them.

Vine glider (use sats for monkey, but add flight (poor) 30ft): exotic primates that live deep in tropical jungles, the vine glider is a monkey no larger than the human arm. Dark brown or black in color, they get their name from their ability to glide between trees by leaping into the air and spreading the skin-flaps between their limbs. They are omnivores, with diets consisting of fruits, insects, and small amphibians. They can be quite curious and mischievous, so watch your hat!

Anyone else have interesting flora or fauna resins they want to share?