PDA

View Full Version : Question: Secondary Damage/Effect

AngelAndrius
2007-05-13, 11:39 AM
With poisons and afflictions, when does secondary damage take place. I have it confused in my head. Is it 10 rounds or 10 minutes (100 rounds)???

Also, secondary, mildly related question. Touch of Golden Ice only affects an evil creature once from a single opponent right? It's not everytime you hit, I think.

Thanks for the input!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 11:49 AM
With poisons and afflictions, when does secondary damage take place. I have it confused in my head. Is it 10 rounds or 10 minutes (100 rounds)???

Poisons and Ravages:
1 minute (10 rounds) after the initial effect.

I think you are confusing Afflictions with Ravages.

Ravages works like Poisons, but Afflictions works like diseases (and typically have a incubation period of days).

Also, secondary, mildly related question. Touch of Golden Ice only affects an evil creature once from a single opponent right? It's not everytime you hit, I think.

Ravages, like poisons, apply every time you are subjected to them.

Douglas
2007-05-13, 07:08 PM
I think you are confusing Afflictions with Ravages.

Ravages works like Poisons

Afflictions, like poisons
:smallamused:

JaronK
2007-05-13, 08:07 PM
It's been a while, but I believe there was a ruling that if you were hit by the same poison multiple times in one round, you were still only affected once, but the DC went up (by 1 or 2, I don't remember) for every extra exposure.

This mostly applies to landing in a puddle of poison, but would also take effect with Touch of Golden Ice.

JaronK

DaMullet
2007-05-13, 08:29 PM
*All of his quotes* :smallamused:
Funny thing about quoted text... It generally works better in context.

For example, he's comparing the incubation period of Afflictions to that of diseases, and the incubation period of Ravages to Poisons. Then, in your third quote, he's actually comparing what happens the second time you encounter them. Diseases, unlike poisons, can only afflict one once at a time. If you're bitten by the same rat twice, you only need to roll for the Filth Fever once, because you can't get sicker from the same disease.
His comparison of Affliction to poison was that afflictions, like poison, deal damage the first time, and then if you get one again, the second time, no matter how large or small the interval between poisonings or afflictions.

Douglas
2007-05-13, 08:59 PM
That third quote is in direct response to a question about Golden Ice, which is a Ravage. As written, it is both irrelevant to the question it is answering and incorrect - afflictions work like diseases in all respects not stated otherwise in the BoED, and the effect of multiple infections is not one of the differences.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-14, 12:08 AM
:smallamused:
:smalltongue:

Arbitrarity
2007-05-14, 06:42 PM
*Uses hair of the gorgon, a lot*
*Puts Black lotus, dragon bile, (every other poison, even from BOVD) on an amulet*

Here, have this shiny amulet.